Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

Did anyone get details on what the recall involves before the Cusinart website and phone number imploded?

I actually own 2 different DLC-8s. Make that one DLC 12 with a DLC-7 blade and bowl and one DLC-8.

I'd like to keep my teeth and new blades would be great but if I have to exchange the whole unit I'd probably just buy a new blade as I like the power and the paddle switches of the older models like I have.

I once had a processor that used a spring loaded stainless steel wheel to pulse and it was difficult to use with wet hands.

Edit: site finally loaded looks like they will just replace the blade which is ideal.

my turn in the barrel fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Dec 14, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
A few months ago cooks illustrated revisited their food processor review because they noted that the blade cracked on their favorite Cuisinart processor. Cuisinart already had a re-designed replacement ready at the time, but was only putting the re-designed blades in units they were selling from then on. I'm guessing they were hoping they could get away with just doing a rolling change, but it looks like they decided they couldn't

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer
This page should have all the details; if they have four-rivet blades, those are subject to the recall, and Cuisinart will provide a replacement blade.

Edit: Picture of blade:

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
I'm glad I went with a Magimix :v:

It's cool that they're replacing all potentially affected blades, though. That's got to cost them a lot of money.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Sheesh

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Dec 14, 2016

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
Hmm, I have a Handy Prep, DFP-3. It has a riveted blade, but the site is telling me that my model isn't recalled. I wonder if I should call the number in a day or two.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

It's cool that they're replacing all potentially affected blades, though. That's got to cost them a lot of money.

Still cheaper than a class action lawsuit.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rp_krZRLKo

Help guys I think my cuisinart might be trying to kill me

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Okay, I got a new Kuhn Rikon pressure cooker. The amazon description (which was just a copy-pasted user review) said it was dishwasher safe. When I get it, the manual says it's not dishwasher safe. Did a little digging and found that the only reason why it's not dishwasher safe is because the screws holding the handle on are not dishwasher safe.

Do dishwasher safe screws exist? I'm thinking maybe I could just replace the screws.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Dec 16, 2016

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

I'm a little puzzled as to what exactly would make a screw dishwasher safe. Can you just swap them for stainless if they're not already?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
As far as I can tell "stainless steel" can mean a lot of different things and there are several varieties that have differing levels of corrosion protection. I'm curious what kind I would have to look for at the hardware store if I were to get replacement screws

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Steve Yun posted:

Okay, I got a new Kuhn Rikon pressure cooker. The amazon description (which was just a copy-pasted user review) said it was dishwasher safe. When I get it, the manual says it's not dishwasher safe. Did a little digging and found that the only reason why it's not dishwasher safe is because the screws holding the handle on are not dishwasher safe.

Do dishwasher safe screws exist? I'm thinking maybe I could just replace the screws.
It's not just the screw you have to worry about, it's what it's in contact with. Water in a running dishwasher is a weak electrolyte solution at high temperature, and that means that anything that wants to be a sacrificial anode gets the opportunity to sacrifice itself (to ineffectually electroplating something else). Whether something is willing to function as a sacrificial anode isn't universal, it depends on what else is in the solution with it.

In practice it's probably safe to use any food-grade 300-series stainless, although in theory you'd want to match whatever specific steel the rest of the cooker is made of---18-10, 18-8, or whatever. You actually get galvanic corrosion out of every use of a dishwasher, but assuming all the metal stuff in it is more or less the same (or has been treated to prevent corrosion) it'll be negligible to the point you won't notice it without lab gear.

There's also the possibility that the manufacturer used some kind of thread sealant (e.g. a cyanoacrylate) that'll break down in a dishwasher, but that's probably less likely (as the screws are probably heat-cycled more from normal use than they'd be in a dishwasher), but who loving knows without looking at it.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer
Comedy option: Hot glue over the screwholes to keep water from getting in. :haw:

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Pressure cookers are large enough and easy enough to clean that I would never even consider putting mine in the dishwasher. For a vessel that gets pressurized and has the potential to be a bomb if compromised in any way, I wouldn't take the risk.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

SubG posted:

It's not just the screw you have to worry about, it's what it's in contact with. Water in a running dishwasher is a weak electrolyte solution at high temperature, and that means that anything that wants to be a sacrificial anode gets the opportunity to sacrifice itself (to ineffectually electroplating something else). Whether something is willing to function as a sacrificial anode isn't universal, it depends on what else is in the solution with it.

In practice it's probably safe to use any food-grade 300-series stainless, although in theory you'd want to match whatever specific steel the rest of the cooker is made of---18-10, 18-8, or whatever. You actually get galvanic corrosion out of every use of a dishwasher, but assuming all the metal stuff in it is more or less the same (or has been treated to prevent corrosion) it'll be negligible to the point you won't notice it without lab gear.

There's also the possibility that the manufacturer used some kind of thread sealant (e.g. a cyanoacrylate) that'll break down in a dishwasher, but that's probably less likely (as the screws are probably heat-cycled more from normal use than they'd be in a dishwasher), but who loving knows without looking at it.

Yeah, I'm just not seeing this "dishwasher safe screw" thing. Unless maybe the screws are an alloy that will discolour in a dishwasher? Wouldn't want ugly screws. :aaa:

I see one model has an aluminum sandwich base. Not sure how they did it, but if the aluminum is exposed that could be a bad thing in a dishwasher.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

The Midniter posted:

Pressure cookers are large enough and easy enough to clean that I would never even consider putting mine in the dishwasher. For a vessel that gets pressurized and has the potential to be a bomb if compromised in any way, I wouldn't take the risk.

Yeah pretty much this

None of my pots or pans go in the dishwasher

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
The screws are not in direct contact with any area that gets pressurized, they're holding the plastic handles onto mounts that are welded to the outside. And if we're talking about electrolytic corrosion, it would have to eat through several millimeters of steel before it compromised anything vital, which I doubt would happen in anyone's lifetime.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Hexigrammus posted:

I see one model has an aluminum sandwich base. Not sure how they did it, but if the aluminum is exposed that could be a bad thing in a dishwasher.

I'm almost certain they mean aluminum encased in steel, like the pancake bottom on most skillets

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Steve Yun posted:

The screws are not in direct contact with any area that gets pressurized, they're holding the plastic handles onto mounts that are welded to the outside. And if we're talking about electrolytic corrosion, it would have to eat through several millimeters of steel before it compromised anything vital, which I doubt would happen in anyone's lifetime.
The failure mode you'd expect is that the screws stop holding the handle onto the pot, not necessarily that that pot explodes (in general when a thin-walled pressure vessel fails due to corrosion it looks like a nasty leak rather than an explosion, but the counterexamples can be pretty dramatic). And if you've got e.g. a stainless screw in a brass thread insert or something like that you don't even need a full mm of corrosion in order to reach failure.

I mean it's your pressure cooker, do whatever the gently caress you want with it and it's no skin off my rear end. But you asked what the deal was with the screws not being rated as dishwasher safe. The answer is almost certainly galvanic corrosion (with a couple of other lesser possibilities, like thread sealant, or wherever you got the information about the screws being full of poo poo and the actual problem being something else).

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Sure sure sure, so I'll look into stainless steel screws that match the material the mount is made of

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Mandoline recommendations? Looking for something under, say $75.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Benriner (get the wide one) if you want bare bones with great quality. The hand guard sucks so maybe get a cut proof glove to go with it. My mom had one for 30 years and never had to sharpen it, and it's still sharp as hell.

If you want it to have a stand and had guard, the Swissmar Borner v slicer is well reviewed and appears to be very conveniently designed.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Dec 18, 2016

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme
the cheapest lovely chinese one you can find online imo

i've had mine since 07 and it's still sharp and performs identically to the day i got it

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

I have had a few mandolins and they all sucked, then I found a Bron for $6.99 at a thrift store.

Super heavy duty, the blade is removable and easily sharpened unlike all the cheaper ones I tried.

Looks like they are about double your price range on amazon. But you could look for one on ebay or make a camelcamelcamel price watch if you don't need it today.

https://www.amazon.com/Original-Stainless-Steel-Mandolin-Slicer/dp/B0001BMZ38

http://camelcamelcamel.com/Original-Stainless-Steel-Mandolin-Slicer/product/B0001BMZ38

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-BRO...xgAAOSwo4pYUawb

If you buy a used one and don't have the stones to sharpen it you can just buy a replacement blade fairly cheap as well.

my turn in the barrel fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Dec 18, 2016

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

You can remove/sharpen Benriner blades as well.

Quornes
Jun 23, 2011
Are electric pressure cookers still bad? Currently debating getting either a crock pot or a pressure cooker. Not doing anything heavy duty, just college student fare.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Sharpening is generally unnecessary on a benriner because as long as you're not trying to cut ridiculously hard things like pumpkin stems, the blades will stay sharp for decades. If you screw up a blade on a cheap mandoline, just get a new one. Expensive mandolines like the bron are removable because they're $120-150 or so and you can't just tell someone to go replace it. I can't vouch for the blade on the borner swissmar, but I have a feeling it will also probably last a long time

By the way, if you don't mind going slightly above your price range, you can get it at bed bath and beyond for $120 after using one of their 20% off coupons. The Bron is an awesome mandolin with a lovely handguard. I bought one and then I got the better plastic handguard on Amazon for another $30, then sold off the steel handguard that it came with on Amazon for about $30. Or maybe you can sell the hand guard and just use a cut proof glove if you wanna save even more money! Just get rid of the standard included handguard because that thing is godawful

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Dec 18, 2016

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Quornes posted:

Are electric pressure cookers still bad? Currently debating getting either a crock pot or a pressure cooker. Not doing anything heavy duty, just college student fare.

Electric pressure cookers are fine. They don't get up to as high of a pressure at stovetop models, but who cares as long as it gets the job done

Keep in mind that if it has a nonstick interior, The inner pot may need to be replaced after several years, but that's something like $20-$30

Edit: if you are moving into a dorm, maybe you should call them ahead of time and make sure that they are OK with you having a pressure cooker

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Dec 18, 2016

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Quornes posted:

The instant pot does both if that's what you're interested in. Just wait for a good sale.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Steve Yun posted:

Electric pressure cookers are fine. They don't get up to as high of a pressure at stovetop models, but who cares as long as it gets the job done

Building on this it's usually a 5-10 minute difference in cooking times.

You can find some more info here: http://www.hippressurecooking.com/pressure-cooking-times/

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana

Anne Whateley posted:

The instant pot does both if that's what you're interested in. Just wait for a good sale.
Get an Instant Pot. Don't think, just buy. (But yes waiting for a good sale is probably a good idea.) The thing is a goddamn miracle.

Quornes
Jun 23, 2011
Does it go on sale often? The 8 Qt is $160 right now on Amazon.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Most people get the 6 quart, which is usually $100, when it goes on sale for half price every now and then

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Instant Pot, $79 on Amazon
http://deals.kinja.com/back-in-stock-the-versatile-indispensable-instant-pot-1790331481[ks|leftrailpopular

Thinking back, the $50 price might've been a once-only thing?

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

Steve Yun posted:

Instant Pot, $79 on Amazon
http://deals.kinja.com/back-in-stock-the-versatile-indispensable-instant-pot-1790331481[ks|leftrailpopular

Thinking back, the $50 price might've been a once-only thing?

Check on CamelCamelCamel!

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Says Amazon never had it at $50. Guess it was Woot or some other site

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Steve Yun posted:

Says Amazon never had it at $50. Guess it was Woot or some other site

I think you're thinking when meh.com had it. I didn't know what it was at the time. I wish I had gotten one now.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!
Speaking of Meh, Today's (12/22/16) Meh is a food saver with roll storage and cutter for $35.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
I'm a pretty experienced home cook who's gotten by with just a food processor for years. Is there reason enough to get a blender in addition to the food processor?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

lifts cats over head posted:

I'm a pretty experienced home cook who's gotten by with just a food processor for years. Is there reason enough to get a blender in addition to the food processor?

Not unless you're looking for a super high-powered blender like a Vitamix to make nut butters or other things that require the extra oomph. I've made it by on a food processor and a stick blender forever.