Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

Raygereio posted:

Then that fan translation is some neat material for the Aweful Mods thread, but do you think those guys are somehow obligated to make an alternate version without those references?
I mean all mods are "subjective". That also goes for mods that happen to call themselves a patch.

This patch also stated that it was "the most accurate translation available"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

There's also Durnehviir, who you meet in the Soul Cairn. But I understand if you've forgotten that place.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

...wait, there's a main quest?

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Not only that, but somewhere in this pretty princess dressup game there's a sort of RPG.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
I should probably play this game at some point.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Raygereio posted:

Nah, it's pretty clear what's in it. You can open the thing with the CK or xEdit yourself and see and they supply the source along side the scripts. Also much like YUP, one of the things that makes the Unofficial Patch projects actually decent is that they keep a solid changelog..

That never happened. I know Arthmoor is the thread's favorite whipping boy, but the real thing is silly enough. We don't have to make poo poo up.

There was someone who posted an "Unofficial Fallout 4 Patch" on the nexus while Arthmoor and rest of the UP team waited the CK to be released. I can't find it anymore, so I guess that was either removed or he was forced to rename it. Though that was just someone who wanted to become an Internet-superstar with a lovely mod made in xSnip (which means it could gently caress up your game), so screw that guy.

I am 100% certain someone else tried to do an open city style mod and he threw a massive bitchfit until they just dropped it under the deluge of being accused of stealing his idea.

Mr.Grit
Jul 16, 2006

Themage posted:

Anyone have any recommendations for light source mods for use with ELFX? I can't see a single thing in the opening Helgen escape.

For SSE?
What option did you select when installing it? The first option doesn't seem much darker than vanilla.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Magmarashi posted:

I am 100% certain someone else tried to do an open city style mod and he threw a massive bitchfit until they just dropped it under the deluge of being accused of stealing his idea.

I believe there was an open cities variant without the gates, but it was literally open cities, without the gates (either by laziness, or necessity) and because it necessarily borrowed arthmoor's work bit for bit (sans oblivion gates) it got pulled right quick, with much name calling.

That was all around the time of Gate Gate, so people were very passionate about things like this. It took Arthmoor a while to concede the gates were beyond the scope of the USKP, but he refused to remove them from Open Cities as a result, and whether or not he was justified in dealing with anyone that released a patch, it was clear he was vengeful over the community not agreeing with his "vision" over the gates. I could be mis-remembering, but it really wasn't a case of someone actually making a brand new open cities and getting attacked for it.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Kiggles posted:

I believe there was an open cities variant without the gates, but it was literally open cities, without the gates (either by laziness, or necessity) and because it necessarily borrowed arthmoor's work bit for bit (sans oblivion gates) it got pulled right quick, with much name calling.

That was all around the time of Gate Gate, so people were very passionate about things like this. It took Arthmoor a while to concede the gates were beyond the scope of the USKP, but he refused to remove them from Open Cities as a result, and whether or not he was justified in dealing with anyone that released a patch, it was clear he was vengeful over the community not agreeing with his "vision" over the gates. I could be mis-remembering, but it really wasn't a case of someone actually making a brand new open cities and getting attacked for it.

Art also does have an MCM option in Oldrim for removing the gates so there is that, it's just with SSE no SKSE means no MCM which means your open cities have Oblivion Gates by default.

Really though, the Oblivion Crisis was a big deal true, but the real reason that Art put them in Open Cities was because he loves Oblivion, not for any real ~lore~ reason. That's just the wrapper around the real reason.

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009
Is there a decent UI mod for the special edition? I miss SkyUI.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Has anyone here tried using Mod Organizer SSE with Windows 10?

Apparently there's some issues with it atm, is it worth trying out anyway?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Agnostalgia posted:

Is there a decent UI mod for the special edition? I miss SkyUI.

SkyUI 2.2 is right before SKSE requirements and works pretty well.

Themage
Jul 21, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

"ThaumPenguin posted:

Has anyone here tried using Mod Organizer SSE with Windows 10?

It's worked fine for me so far in my playthrough

Mr.Grit posted:

For SSE?
What option did you select when installing it? The first option doesn't seem much darker than vanilla.

Yeah it was the fault of one of the optional esps which I removed.

On an unrelated note Sven has been possessed after being hit by a mammoth.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4GP71qPTQY

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

There's also Durnehviir, who you meet in the Soul Cairn. But I understand if you've forgotten that place.

Speaking of, is anyone aware of a mod that lets you skip the Soul Cairn, à la the Skip the Fade mod for Dragon Age: Origins? Because the Soul Cairn is boring and terrible.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
The Fade sucks because it's long. You can get in and out of the Soul Cairn in around 20 minutes if you want.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Sky Shadowing posted:

The Fade sucks because it's long. You can get in and out of the Soul Cairn in around 20 minutes if you want.

You can get in and out of the fade in that time too. The issue with both is that they're difficult to navigate, boring and require you to do a bunch of extra bullshit to get the optional good stuff (stat boosts in the Fade, Aaravak in the Cairn etc).

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
The Soul Cairn is bad but not nearly as bad as the Forgotten Vale.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Sorry if I missed this in the gigantic OP, but does anyone have any recommendations of resources for new modders? I have an idea I'd like to try out (basically taking the cap off of shout cooldown, making the player level up 10x faster, adjusting a few perks, and putting in large arenas of enemies to fight), but I'm not sure where it would fall on the difficulty level. I would also like for this to be available on the PS4, and from what I can tell it would be (since it doesn't need any new art assets), but I figured I'd check before I started putting time into it.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Not being snarky, do the Creation Kit tutorials on creationkit.com. That will get you started with like 90% of what you need to know.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Hey guys, a question: is there a way to make Azura's Star to not need recharging at all? It is a pretty abusive item on its own right, so I just want to do the extra mile and to make it a proper broken item.

(By the way, there was a mod on the nexus for that, but it CTDs on use)

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Can anyone recommend a good ENB to use with ELE-Lite and Relighting Skyrim? I just installed STEP with no extra mods (picking the ENB options at every point so I am stuck with using an ENB), and at the recommendation of a few people in this thread I installed NLA. It looks loving amazing when outside in daylight, but if inside or at night it is so incredibly dark I can see literally nothing. I need to disable the ENB in these situations. If there is a way of modifying it to be brighter/at night inside that could work too.

If I do change ENB's, what's the story with disabling the NLA.esp with regards to my existing saves? I heard Skyrim is a lot worse for that than FNV.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
The Arthmoor-related Unofficial Patch drama I got to watch as it happened was for the FO4 patch, when there was a kerfuffle about whether or not the "Lone Wanderer" perk should actually only take effect when the PC has no active companions, or if Dogmeat was an allowable exception (the behavior in the default game). There was a big dumb to-do on his forums about it centered on what Bethesda's "original intent" was, involving putting up perk images from the game files as evidence for arguments and such. It was dumb and I cared so little I don't know how it was resolved.

Alasyre
Apr 6, 2009
Seems cut and dry to me. What was the issue? Was the default behavior broken?

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Alasyre posted:

Seems cut and dry to me. What was the issue? Was the default behavior broken?
That depends on whether you rate a loading screen tip about a perk higher then the perk's actual description.
FO4's Lone Wanderer perk is active as long you don't have a companion following you. The exception to that is dogmeat. Its description also says "When adventuring without a companion". There's a loading screen that says "Prefer to go it alone? With the Lone Wanderer perk, you'll take less damage and be able to carry more equipment when you adventure without a companion or dog." So someone decided that that loading screan's tip means that the lone wanderer perk isn't working as intended.

Dogmeat is set up differently then the other companions. There's a dev comment in some scripts that says that originally you could have both dogmeat and another companion following you like in New Vegas. That was changed at some point to where you could only have one follower and the dev(s) responsible for the follower system didn't want the headache unifying the two separate follower aliases into one, so they left it all in place. I suppose you could make the argument that the Lone Wanderer perk wasn't updated when they made that change to only one follower, but no sensible person would call that a bug.
Believe it or not, but Arthmoor was actually one of the sensible ones during that whole nonsense. There was just one guy who isn't even a member of the UP team in a thread over in AFKmods who was being absurd with poo poo like "Look! The loading screen's formid is higher then that of the perk's description. That means it was created later and therefore displays the latest intention of the developers!".

Edit:
Found the thread.. Man, that guy ended up having quite the meltdown.

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Dec 19, 2016

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
Did the unofficial patch fix the loading screen then? "What the developer intended as evidenced by formid!" sounds like it would go in another mod full of that stuff, rather than an unofficial patch.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I (mostly) like More Interesting NPCs but boy do I not like the tendency of the More Interesting NPCs to wander off while they're talking to you (especially when they go through to a different map and break a quest as a result I AM LOOKING AT YOU AZZARIAN).

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Kiggles posted:

There was a Open Citites patch that removed the gates from the cities and contained nothing of Arthmoor's original work in it that he threw an absolute shitfit over as well.

prometheusbound2
Jul 5, 2010
This Arthmoor guy sounds like a dick, but wow I think the past few pages of this thread have been more about his personality defects than cool mods.

The player housing mod is kind of sparse. What are the housing mods that people like the most? Bonus points for customizable/upgradable/building housing mods. I downloaded clockwork and I'm really looking forward to it, but part of why the Elder Scrolls appeals to carving the arc from nobody to major player. Since Bethesda can't write reactive dialog, accumulating shiny things is kind of the only way to do that.

Cheatum the Evil Midget
Sep 11, 2000
I COULDN'T BACK UP ANY OF MY ARGUEMENTS, IGNORE ME PLEASE.
Is there a mod to give stormcloaks MAGA hats yet

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
Was looking for a mod for SSE that will enchant things for me, either NPC or a box or whatever because why in the gently caress does the College specifically cite they make their money providing enchanting services and yet don't actually do it? Hit a roadblock though because all the ones for Oldrim require SKSE and the only 'thing' I've found that mentions it for SSE is this loving guy and I don't want a nuclear red romanceable skeleton to electrify my sword if you catch my drift

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Cheatum the Evil Midget posted:

Is there a mod to give stormcloaks MSGA hats yet

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

KakerMix posted:

Was looking for a mod for SSE that will enchant things for me, either NPC or a box or whatever because why in the gently caress does the College specifically cite they make their money providing enchanting services and yet don't actually do it? Hit a roadblock though because all the ones for Oldrim require SKSE and the only 'thing' I've found that mentions it for SSE is this loving guy and I don't want a nuclear red romanceable skeleton to electrify my sword if you catch my drift

You sure?

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Sylink posted:

You sure?

I'm sorry why would anyone ever not want this

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
Those Warhammer Fantasy fanfics are getting more and more strange.

hostess with the Moltres
May 15, 2013
SPERG's perks all seem a lot more fun than vanilla's now that I've had some time to look at it, but some parts sound overpowered. Ancestral awakening grants full immunity to a damage types for a lot of races, and I'm not sure about getting levels in armor all the time. I haven't played too much of it compared to vanilla though, and I was wondering how goons with more SPERG experience felt about it? Also, how's SPERG's hardcore mode?

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Sylink posted:

You sure?

Holy poo poo that's awesome.

Alasyre
Apr 6, 2009
Yeah that's the best follower ever without a doubt.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Just popping in to say this is easily the best thread title in games.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Cheatum the Evil Midget posted:

Is there a mod to give stormcloaks MAGA hats yet
I think you mean imperials. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Imperials represent the weakened status quo, and their side is represented in Skyrim by a woman, Elisif the Fair. Stormcloaks are led by a charismatic blowhard with a very inflated opinion of himself who wants to deport immigrants and build a wall along Skyrim's southern borders.