Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

Mescal posted:

No, be long-winded! You're giving me some tips I hadn't thought of. Appreciate it.

On my way to the venue now with fliers!

Did the show happen this weekend?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Sataere posted:

Did the show happen this weekend?

Nah, next. Only impediment on my last trip there is there are not enough low-tops and low chairs to fill the comedy area. And motherfucker was reticent to move the pool table. Comedy's architecture, room design, and proper lighting--step zero before you can make people pay attention before you can make them laugh. I'm just gonna show up with more chairs and move the billiards if I have to. Manager'll be happy after show's done.

I'm gonna work on a zero-fee, tip-based show in an excellent attic in town. The room is best, architecturally, in town but the owners won't pay anybody. Some good folks will work for free. I just have to have something else going at the same time so I'm not too invested in one thing. I'd take that less seriously and be more freeform about everything, but still tell the comics and venue: you promo. I don't do that. That's not what I'm good at.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Cool. I just wanted to know how it goes. :)

freud mayweather
Jan 29, 2009

Odddzy posted:

are there good podcasts on the theory of comedy? Or rapid fire joke showcases? Features that go into why things work and how they should be done to get good?

I listen to a ton of podcasts that are set up like comic hangs, like The Bonfire, YKWD, Race Wars. I have a long commute and when they start riffing on things I play along in the car. It has helped me become quicker and use funny reflexively. The stuff that helps you get the crowd on board up front and recover when a joke doesn't land.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

freud mayweather posted:

I listen to a ton of podcasts that are set up like comic hangs, like The Bonfire, YKWD, Race Wars. I have a long commute and when they start riffing on things I play along in the car. It has helped me become quicker and use funny reflexively. The stuff that helps you get the crowd on board up front and recover when a joke doesn't land.

I always did this when I had cable with @midnight. I also discovered a local mic called the riff where you draw a topic out of a hat and riff got four minutes. I plan on going there weekly, because I hate not being prepared.

Mescal posted:

No, be long-winded! You're giving me some tips I hadn't thought of. Appreciate it.

On my way to the venue now with fliers!

You gotta tell us what happened, dude.

l3ruce
Jul 7, 2006

Anyone else here in SF? If so hit me up, I'm Zach Wiseman.

E: Here's a set I did for Viceland (it's vices TV channel) I tried really hard to make it completely unairable, but they managed to squeeze one joke out of it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfmIfYTP4cU

l3ruce fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Nov 19, 2016

Serious Cephalopod
Jul 1, 2007

This is a Serious post for a Serious thread.

Bloop Bloop Bloop
Pillbug
There's a couple of us, I think. Wasn't that for the flop house?

l3ruce
Jul 7, 2006

Yeah, the Sylvan House ep.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Sataere posted:

You gotta tell us what happened, dude.

It was last night. It went great! The are a LOT of tiny things that will go a little wrong when you're a not-very-experienced organizer/host using somebody else's gear at a new venue for a new event. The seating layout was slightly rough, there were some technical issues (had to swap out a glitchy mic as smoothly as I could) and my material suffered because I was focused on everything else. But I warmed them up adequately and got out of the way for my comedians, who made everybody very happy. I had tons of energy because of course I would! Everybody laughed and there was not enough room for everyone who wanted to watch. Too many people came! There were folks standing around in the hallway and stuff because there weren't enough seats!

A staff member told me that they had tried comedy a couple years ago, under previous management, and it was a disaster and nobody showed up.

So yeah the manager was very happy and we're planning on making it a monthly event after the holidays. And get this: there's a bigger space upstairs. Unused. They're turning it into a lounge with a stage and everything. And I've got my foot in the door as their comedy guy right as they're about to become, like, a club! It's gonna be great up there.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

That's awesome. There is no substitute for management that has your back.

Greek Tragedy
Aug 4, 2008

That sounds like a recipe for getting snatched and murdered

Obliterati posted:

So I've got an odd one: where, for people, is the line when it comes to breakup material? I've recently been on the recieving end of some soap opera melodrama (TL;DR she left me for my best friend), and I've literally never got better audience response. Also much of it is hilarious.

The material I'm using isn't exactly blue or anything as that's not my style, but it includes revelations such as 'now I'm single and on OKCupid, I find her own profile she was using while we were together' which are true, but, well, I want to make sure I'm not coming across as vindictive as the material's more about how you rebuild after a disaster. Where do people here draw the line on ex-relationship material?

I'm intending to use this set in a video I'm cutting as well, so it's not like people involved will never hear of it or anything.

So I'm hella late to this one, but I finally finished my Master's so I can gently caress around on the internet again.

Anyway, I feel like this (like many other topics) are nuanced when it comes to what's "ok" or what's "hack" or whatever. I think if you're not just telling a bunch of hacky bullshit bits about how bitches be crazy, and you're expressing (in an actually funny way) the types of pain/thought/etc. we all go through in relationships and breakups then I'm into those bits. I worry about this to an extent, particularly after my last breakup which wasn't for any huge dramatic reason, he just wasn't a loving adult, and wasn't interested in becoming one so we could be partners. But like, that's not funny, or exceptional, it's sad (for me, anyway) so I don't talk about that on stage. But the lovely abusive dickhead boyfriend I had before him? You better believe I talk about that on stage. Somebody told me once (or I read it somewhere or something) "you own everything that's ever happened to you. If people wanted you to speak of them kindly, they should have treated you better." And while I totally get that some people just make poo poo up or embellish things or whatever, in general, if I know I'm telling my story truthfully and in a funny way, I don't worry too much if somebody that hosed me over gets butt hurt over it.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

I don't know, doing stand up and breaking up with them because they are not enough of an adult us pretty ducking hilarious and you should talk about. I mean, clearly the bar shouldn't have been that high.

EDIT: Also, congrats on the masters.

Greek Tragedy
Aug 4, 2008

Sataere posted:

I don't know, doing stand up and breaking up with them because they are not enough of an adult us pretty ducking hilarious and you should talk about. I mean, clearly the bar shouldn't have been that high.

EDIT: Also, congrats on the masters.

I think the thing is that, *I'm* not ready to talk about it on stage you know? Like, I'm still working through a lot of my feelings about the breakup and so when i say things that are "funny" now, they are actually just bitter and I definitely think they would not come across the way I want them to. I think that's the old "time+tragedy=comedy" thing. I need more time. My abusive ex was 5 years ago, and I went through hella therapy for it, so I'm in a good place to use it on stage.

also, Thanks! It's amazing how much time I have now that I don't have homework to do.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Greek Tragedy posted:

I think the thing is that, *I'm* not ready to talk about it on stage you know? Like, I'm still working through a lot of my feelings about the breakup and so when i say things that are "funny" now, they are actually just bitter and I definitely think they would not come across the way I want them to. I think that's the old "time+tragedy=comedy" thing. I need more time. My abusive ex was 5 years ago, and I went through hella therapy for it, so I'm in a good place to use it on stage.

also, Thanks! It's amazing how much time I have now that I don't have homework to do.

I get it. There are some things I plan to talk about that I haven't got to because jokes about depression are hard to make funny. The minute an audience feels sorry for you, you're hosed.

I thought you were saying you didn't see the humor in it. I was just telling you that you are wrong. :v:

Greek Tragedy
Aug 4, 2008

Sataere posted:

I get it. There are some things I plan to talk about that I haven't got to because jokes about depression are hard to make funny. The minute an audience feels sorry for you, you're hosed.

I thought you were saying you didn't see the humor in it. I was just telling you that you are wrong. :v:

So, I appreciate this about writing material about poo poo that could make the audience feel sorry for you, but I've seen it done and I know it's possible, it's ALL in how you structure that joke. One of my biggest influences/idols right now is Maria Bamford because she talks so very openly about her mental illness and how it impacts her and she does it in a way that just shows how ultimately human she is and I never feel sorry for her. I wonder, sometimes, if that feeling of "omg they are pitying me" is within us, and the audience isn't really feeling it at all, but it trips is up, because we get self conscious. I'm basing this on the fact that I've had many people approach me after shows where I did the bit about my ex spitting in my face during an argument and told me that they were thankful that i shared it and that if I went through that and was up on a stage under lights talking about it, then they had some hope. It was literally life changing and super impacted what kind of material i write.

I dunno, to each their own, but do you have some ideas of bits about depression you maybe would run out there and we could workshop?

I got's all that homework time to help with bits :allears: :11tea:

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

I wasn't saying that it can't be done, only that certain subjects are more difficult to pull off. I also think those are the subjects most worth talking about. But if you are too close to the subject matter, it will come off on stage and that can kill you.

I think I left out a very important part of that post. I am absolutely taking my time in writing out my depression material because it is too close to me, but I will absolutely be doing it eventually.

I agree about Maria Bamford, but I also know for a fact that audiences will feel sorry for some comics and their sets and you'll know it when it happens. And as a comic, you gotta squash that poo poo fast when it does.

I have said it in this thread before, but I don't believe any subject is off limits. But that doesn't mean an audience will like it. I have shelved the depression stuff for a while, because it isn't quite right yet and it doesn't flow with my current 20 that I am building.

Greek Tragedy
Aug 4, 2008

Sataere posted:

I have said it in this thread before, but I don't believe any subject is off limits. But that doesn't mean an audience will like it. .

I agree with this so hard. It also depends on how you write said material about sensitive topics. are you writing a rape joke where you just perpetuate stupid assumptions about how women get raped because of what they wear? or are you writing a joke about rape/sexual assault that makes the punchline societies hosed up rape situation? the topic's not the problem, lazy loving joke writing is.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Greek Tragedy posted:

I agree with this so hard. It also depends on how you write said material about sensitive topics. are you writing a rape joke where you just perpetuate stupid assumptions about how women get raped because of what they wear? or are you writing a joke about rape/sexual assault that makes the punchline societies hosed up rape situation? the topic's not the problem, lazy loving joke writing is.

Honestly, while I think no subjects are off limits, I do think some subjects are lazy and not worth the effort. Rape is one of them.

Although now that I think about it, I think I just started writing a sexual assault joke a couple weeks ago, so I am probably full of poo poo.

Greek Tragedy
Aug 4, 2008

Sataere posted:

Honestly, while I think no subjects are off limits, I do think some subjects are lazy and not worth the effort. Rape is one of them.

I agree a little. Except that I have on occasion (maybe like twice?) heard jokes about sexual assault or rape that were super funny and poignant and so I don't throw out any topic at all, but agree yes, many of them require a LOT of finessed writing.

This one (start to 3:40) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29ArdxWYBGQ is my favorite.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Greek Tragedy posted:

I agree a little. Except that I have on occasion (maybe like twice?) heard jokes about sexual assault or rape that were super funny and poignant and so I don't throw out any topic at all, but agree yes, many of them require a LOT of finessed writing.

This one (start to 3:40) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29ArdxWYBGQ is my favorite.

That clip is fantastic. Such a great joke. Mine is actually in a similar vein, but from a male point of view. It's a lot harder for me to do a joke on the subject though.

My favorite part of that clip is that I absolutely recognize some of those laughs. I need to make it to that showcase.

Are you out of Chicago? It'd be pretty great if I finally found a Chicago goon comic.

Greek Tragedy
Aug 4, 2008

Sataere posted:

That clip is fantastic. Such a great joke. Mine is actually in a similar vein, but from a male point of view. It's a lot harder for me to do a joke on the subject though.

My favorite part of that clip is that I absolutely recognize some of those laughs. I need to make it to that showcase.

Are you out of Chicago? It'd be pretty great if I finally found a Chicago goon comic.

Alas, no. I'm from Washington State, but I performed in Chicago for the World Series (of comedy) several years ago and I loved the city. Now that my degree is done I will hopefully be able to do some traveling and performing.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Yeah, I keep wanting to try getting into that and festivals, but every clip that I record is garbage.

Greek Tragedy
Aug 4, 2008

Sataere posted:

Yeah, I keep wanting to try getting into that and festivals, but every clip that I record is garbage.

Garbage video quality? or you feel like your set is garbage?

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Greek Tragedy posted:

Garbage video quality? or you feel like your set is garbage?

My set is terrible. The problem I keep having is that I see all the flaws in my set, so two weeks after it's out, I already know that it is inadequate.

Greek Tragedy
Aug 4, 2008

Sataere posted:

My set is terrible. The problem I keep having is that I see all the flaws in my set, so two weeks after it's out, I already know that it is inadequate.

I get that, and if it helps at all that feeling goes away the more you watch yourself on camera. But, consider that if you wanna make it into any festival or anything you have to have SOMETHING to send. I would suggest letting someone you trust tell you if it' s good (someone that has an understanding of comedy but not necessarily a comic) or not and then post accordingly....

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

The flip side of that is anything you send out is that persons first impression of you. I try to control anything that I produce, which is why there aren't clips of me.

The biggest thing for me is that it is hard to get a recording, and it is hard to just crush onstage. In my opinion, if I am not crushing on a video clip, I don't want to use it.

For all it supposedly won't matter to producers who know comedy, watching a guy just own a crowd is going to impact you subconsciously.

I have another clip coming soon, and I will know when I have the right one. Or if I am lucky, CYSK will decide I am a comedy monster and I will get to tell dumb jokes in front of a packed room that is always hot.

Greek Tragedy
Aug 4, 2008

Sataere posted:

The flip side of that is anything you send out is that persons first impression of you. I try to control anything that I produce, which is why there aren't clips of me.

The biggest thing for me is that it is hard to get a recording, and it is hard to just crush onstage. In my opinion, if I am not crushing on a video clip, I don't want to use it.

For all it supposedly won't matter to producers who know comedy, watching a guy just own a crowd is going to impact you subconsciously.

I have another clip coming soon, and I will know when I have the right one. Or if I am lucky, CYSK will decide I am a comedy monster and I will get to tell dumb jokes in front of a packed room that is always hot.

I live in an area with exactly ONE comedy club and it's run by an idiot. That makes it difficult to get anything longer than a guest spot, so I can understand the struggle. I have some friends that make it work from rural areas but I don't really understand how they get things rolling. I suppose maybe going to larger cities and doing as many shows as possible while I'm there is a start. one of the main reasons for me getting my master's was that eventually I could create my own schedule/have an online practice and be able to travel and take gigs anywhere while I still maintain my living.

How often do you go up?

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Greek Tragedy posted:

I live in an area with exactly ONE comedy club and it's run by an idiot. That makes it difficult to get anything longer than a guest spot, so I can understand the struggle. I have some friends that make it work from rural areas but I don't really understand how they get things rolling. I suppose maybe going to larger cities and doing as many shows as possible while I'm there is a start. one of the main reasons for me getting my master's was that eventually I could create my own schedule/have an online practice and be able to travel and take gigs anywhere while I still maintain my living.

How often do you go up?

Hard to say consistently. I work 50 to 60 hour weeks and have a wife and kids. Because my wife works graveyard and my oldest is at college, I have to balance my schedule and make sure that I go out on days she isn't working, so I can watch the youngest.

When the girl is at college, about two or three times a week and maybe five or six sets.

When she is back in town, three to four times a week and as many as 12 times, because I can hit late mics.

I have an obsessive personality and a very understanding wife. :v:

Greek Tragedy
Aug 4, 2008

Sataere posted:

When she is back in town, three to four times a week and as many as 12 times, because I can hit late mics.

Dream come true. :hfive:

I can't even imagine where i'd be with that kind of time on stage.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

It really helps you develop faster. I am not even as worried about having a clip, because my focus has been getting a killer 20. Now that I am almost there, I need to get another 10.

It also helps that Chicago is so diverse that you can test out materials in different areas to see if they will work anywhere. I am lucky to be coming up here.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

So I have been lax about listening to my recordings. It haa been about four months, I realized. I am now on day two of going through sets. I am just barely through one of four five minute sets.

Positives - I have a much longer view on how my sets have evolved. I also am catching things that worked that I just forgot. I have a very clear plan if attack for reconstructing my old sets to make them tighter.

Negatives - I don't really remember the make up of all these rooms, so if there is not a lot of laughter, I don't know if it is because the room is dead or I just suck. Also, listening to yourself for hours at a time is the loving worst.

JHUGAMEDAY
Oct 21, 2008
Hello, fellow comedians. My name is Steve Whalen "Mr. Jokes", I am a NYC-based standup comedian, and I am working on a Youtube channel.

I have vids of just me just doing some quick jokes (I'm a one-liner comic), writing sessions, and various sketches / vids with groups I am associated with.

http://www.youtube.com/SteveWhalenMrJokes for the main Youtube page.

I do a lot of quick one-liners and old-school standup and I'm trying to sort of develop an idea of a Youtube channel that encompasses all that goes with that in a fun, silly way but also very unique.

I'm trying to build my viewer base (I got past 100 subs, which I heard is the hardest, I am trying to get to 1K), any feedback is appreciated or any social media know-how in general from any fellow comics out there. THANKS!

This is an auto-subscribe link - https://www.youtube.com/user/StephenWWhalen?sub_confirmation=1

freud mayweather
Jan 29, 2009

Has anyone from your local scene ever been in hilarious trouble with the law?

I found out today that this local joke theif/catchphrase comedian robbed his friend at gunpoint, then got caught because he forgot his wallet at the scene of the crime, and then texted the kid threatening him again to give his wallet back. Here's the story: http://m.ctpost.com/local/article/Bumbling-robber-faces-20-years-10897012.php

We also have a comic in jail for stealing $250k worth of wine, and a couple years ago an open miccer tried to rob a gas station with a katana and the police killed him.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Nah just the usual rapists.

Greek Tragedy
Aug 4, 2008

freud mayweather posted:

Has anyone from your local scene ever been in hilarious trouble with the law?

I found out today that this local joke theif/catchphrase comedian robbed his friend at gunpoint, then got caught because he forgot his wallet at the scene of the crime, and then texted the kid threatening him again to give his wallet back. Here's the story: http://m.ctpost.com/local/article/Bumbling-robber-faces-20-years-10897012.php

We also have a comic in jail for stealing $250k worth of wine, and a couple years ago an open miccer tried to rob a gas station with a katana and the police killed him.

He told the guy "everyone is food". Amazing.

not technically my local scene by probably my secondary scene: a dude took a baseball bat to the mic host and took swings at everybody that tried to help. The host got his skull fractured and almost died, and one of my friends got his ankle broken trying to stop the guy.

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Rhetorical questions only
Fun Shoe
If the criminal were any smarter I'd be surprised they were from Bridgeport.

freud mayweather
Jan 29, 2009

Smeed posted:

If the criminal were any smarter I'd be surprised they were from Bridgeport.

Very true.

Greek Tragedy posted:

He told the guy "everyone is food". Amazing.

not technically my local scene by probably my secondary scene: a dude took a baseball bat to the mic host and took swings at everybody that tried to help. The host got his skull fractured and almost died, and one of my friends got his ankle broken trying to stop the guy.

I actually read about that. The article was passed around amongst comics here. Where was it?

Greek Tragedy
Aug 4, 2008

freud mayweather posted:

I actually read about that. The article was passed around amongst comics here. Where was it?

Seattle, Wa (actually i think it happened in Renton? but it's like a suburb, so essentially Seattle)

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Was that at the 907 or what?

E: yep

http://komonews.com/news/local/comedian-attacked-with-baseball-bat-on-stage-in-renton

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Oh poo poo it even got a TomoNews treatment:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VPuwpiUruF0