Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
I thought being indistinguishable from a libertarian in the wild was the whole point?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Who What Now posted:

I thought being indistinguishable from a libertarian in the wild was the whole point?

I don't think the bio is going to clarify anything, don't worry.

WrenP-Complete fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Dec 18, 2016

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Bio does not contain any sovcit markers, 3/10

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

QuarkJets posted:

Bio does not contain any sovcit markers, 3/10

Any suggestions? When I tried to get it to generate sentence with "I" or "me" as seeds, it started asking me questions. I wasn't sure how to answer.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
I feel that trying to add that would undermine the integrity of the project since jrod never seemed to buy into or talk about any sovcit poo poo.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

WrenP-Complete posted:

it started asking me questions. I wasn't sure how to answer.

That is generally how libertarians work so good job.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

That is generally how libertarians work so good job.

Like he asked:

quote:

What hope is there for people to give the earlier user precedence over a later user?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Still more coherent than the original.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

Still more coherent than the original.

(WIth Emly's help) I figured it was the usual problem of "Mom, Jimmy's hogging the game!" and answered "because."

eNeMeE
Nov 26, 2012

WrenP-Complete posted:

(WIth Emly's help) I figured it was the usual problem of "Mom, Jimmy's hogging the game!" and answered "because."

The answer to that one is effectively none. Not going to be having any native bands getting their use of traditional lands back.

Later user takes and keeps all.

say no to scurvy
Nov 29, 2008

It is always Scurvy Prevention Week.
Ah, of course, the famous 'losers weepers' principle.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

WrenP-Complete posted:

Any suggestions? When I tried to get it to generate sentence with "I" or "me" as seeds, it started asking me questions. I wasn't sure how to answer.

Who is JOHN, of the family GALT? This seafaring vessel is a Libertarian chat bot programmed by a free bird on the land. #rand2020 Cheep choop.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

WrenP-Complete posted:

Like he asked:

Isn't that basically the parable of the vineyard? Congratulations, you've created bot religion!

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!
Still holding out for that #immigrants tweet.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

DeusExMachinima posted:

Still holding out for that #immigrants tweet.

Oh my racist, racist baby robot...
https://twitter.com/JRodimus_Prime/status/810915059031572480

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
They grow up so fast.

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

So, Ron Paul got a single electoral vote from a faithless elector today. He's catching on!

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Countdown to "Ron Paul could become president if..." articles

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

For what it's worth, the number of seemingly sincere Libertarian accounts that follow JRodimus Prime per day has only gone up since I added the bio saying he's a robot.

Some "worse" tweets (though I'm pretty bad at telling which ones people will like):
https://twitter.com/JRodimus_Prime/status/811537321208283136
https://twitter.com/JRodimus_Prime/status/811308156387291136

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp

I almost want to read a wall of text about whatever the gently caress that could possibly mean.

Polygynous fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Dec 22, 2016

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Polygynous posted:

I almost want to read a wall of text about whatever the gently caress that could possibly mean.

Let me see what I can do about making that happen.

WrenP-Complete fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Dec 22, 2016

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp

WrenP-Complete posted:

Let me see what I can do about making that happen.

Now I'm feeling horrified and intrigued. :v:

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Polygynous posted:

Now I'm feeling horrified and intrigued. :v:

JRodimusPrime posted:

Since copying can be identified, the phrenology economy is better than all others. It is shown as having homesteaded the animals and judiciously decided which to breed to replenish the livestock for future generations and future profit opportunities. If we can discuss the merits of universal healthcare. Knowing I am aware of the factory owners, the farms to the extent of the factory owners, the farms to the act of argumentation presupposes the right loses all meaning.
Even if every single prediction of the principle of ethics must be universalizable among all humans in a third party that might act as they would have died off. This is absolutely true of rape, assault and burglary. This really forms the basis of any physical possession whatsoever.

Owned is beyond foolish. I shop at a decent place. I am a decent person to follow my conscience and support any cause you feel strongly about. Its hard to quit. Politicians need to be as physically productive enough to eat. The people on this forum. I will choose another community that does not keep any decent person and your solution is simply for them and for everyone else. They're ignorant of the State like to do things that they have to account for. There would be bad both for them to court and force in the punishment and they should be able to provide cheap, effective, scalable energy has to human needs. Your lack of access to cheap, abundent energy that will be cut AND be able to determine that a given situation, though, the problem does not do business with a group of individuals can do it through discourse. If I employ ten people at minimum wage is increased, you think only in terms of left and right. Libertarianism is literally a free market. All I have said before. In fact, it was possible for people to help your fellow man. You clearly did NOT consent.

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
That didn't help at all, but trying to read it made my head hurt as much as any jrod post, so the simulation is a success. Thanks! :)

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
its been a year since jrod dared me to fight him

rip that beautiful battle

Caros
May 14, 2008

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

its been a year since jrod dared me to fight him

rip that beautiful battle

You wouldn't be saying that if you were in the room with him.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Caros posted:

You wouldn't be saying that if you were in the room with him.

Even if you were you'd go blind due to his unfathomable beauty. He's super duper handsome and could be a celebrity if he wanted, you know.

But he chooses not to.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!
I always get signed consent before my duels so as to avoid violating the NAP and opening myself up to a recreational tactical nuke counterstrike.

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

JRodimusPrime posted:

Since copying can be identified, the phrenology economy is better than all others. It is shown as having homesteaded the animals and judiciously decided which to breed to replenish the livestock for future generations and future profit opportunities. If we can discuss the merits of universal healthcare. Knowing I am aware of the factory owners, the farms to the extent of the factory owners, the farms to the act of argumentation presupposes the right loses all meaning.
Even if every single prediction of the principle of ethics must be universalizable among all humans in a third party that might act as they would have died off. This is absolutely true of rape, assault and burglary. This really forms the basis of any physical possession whatsoever.

Owned is beyond foolish. I shop at a decent place. I am a decent person to follow my conscience and support any cause you feel strongly about. Its hard to quit. Politicians need to be as physically productive enough to eat. The people on this forum. I will choose another community that does not keep any decent person and your solution is simply for them and for everyone else. They're ignorant of the State like to do things that they have to account for. There would be bad both for them to court and force in the punishment and they should be able to provide cheap, effective, scalable energy has to human needs. Your lack of access to cheap, abundent energy that will be cut AND be able to determine that a given situation, though, the problem does not do business with a group of individuals can do it through discourse. If I employ ten people at minimum wage is increased, you think only in terms of left and right. Libertarianism is literally a free market. All I have said before. In fact, it was possible for people to help your fellow man. You clearly did NOT consent.

:yossame:, OP

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Stinkier than your average bear
Lipstick Apathy
Ah, I see Jrodbot is replying to followers' tweets now

https://twitter.com/JRodimus_Prime/status/812063126891991040

This is awesome

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Stinky_Pete posted:

Ah, I see Jrodbot is replying to followers' tweets now

https://twitter.com/JRodimus_Prime/status/812063126891991040

This is awesome

Thanks! I'm thinking through different ways to clean or approve the input coming from others' tweets. I don't want him to go the way of Tay.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
I hope you are using vetted users right now; realAlexHours looks like an alt-right bot account, but I'm guessing it's a parody?

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Discendo Vox posted:

I hope you are using vetted users right now; realAlexHours looks like an alt-right bot account, but I'm guessing it's a parody?

All the tweets that go out are hand approved by me right now.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

QuarkJets posted:

Redheads are pretty amazing

:hfive:

I figured this was about that one dude that tried to make an actual Galt's Gulch in Chile or some South American country. I guess I shouldn't be surprised that there would be more than one delusional venture/money making scam by libertarian used car salesmen.

OwlFancier posted:

I'm not sure it's immoral to relieve libertarians with excessive discretionary income of their burden, they'd only do something silly with it.

We spoke a bit about a similar issue in the late U.S Pol thread (R.I.P.) regarding the whole flooding of fake news sites taking advantage of Republicans with one dude in particular making $10k a month.

And speaking of which, I'm reminded of something that I heard Chris Hayes talk about a couple of years ago. I don't exactly remember if this was what it was about, but I believe he was doing a segment on either Newt Gingrich or Ben Carson selling access to their email list to advertisers. These email lists consisted primarily of conservative true-believers that people like Newt and Carson used to seek "donations", where they would make an absolute killing. At the end of the segment, he said something that stuck with me ever since: much of movement conservatism is a con, and the conservative base are the marks.

Granted, I already figured that was generally the case, but the more I thought about it, the more I realized that this isn't limited to one area of conservatism. For example, you've got:

- libertarians selling gold
- gun nuts selling arms and memberships
- televangelists selling sugar tablets as cancer cures
- MRAs selling penis enlargement pills

And furthermore, there is a LOT of overlap in all these areas. Any of this singular groups could be selling products from the other groups. And they all reinforce each other too. It makes it difficult to believe how much of this is being done by people who don't give a poo poo about conservatism, but just want to bilk the base, and how much is being done by people who DO give a poo poo about conservatism, but also want to bilk the base. This is a goddamned cottage industry.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Mr Interweb posted:

Any of this singular groups could be selling products from the other groups. And they all reinforce each other too. It makes it difficult to believe how much of this is being done by people who don't give a poo poo about conservatism, but just want to bilk the base, and how much is being done by people who DO give a poo poo about conservatism, but also want to bilk the base. This is a goddamned cottage industry.

When making money is such an important tenet of the ideology you could argue that anyone making quick buck at the expense of the base is a true believer whether they actually buy into it or not.

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Stinkier than your average bear
Lipstick Apathy

Discendo Vox posted:

that's actually my family-firendly account, which I don't use very often. The pizza-related avatar is for the purposes of passively mocking the alt right

Seasonal Salutations, everyone!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqC36b39BvA&t=4s

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Stinky_Pete posted:

that's actually my family-firendly account, which I don't use very often. The pizza-related avatar is for the purposes of passively mocking the alt right

Seasonal Salutations, everyone!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqC36b39BvA&t=4s

I thought that was supposed to be some sort of parody at first, but then it's like double reverse satire, and Poe is spinning in his grave, if he's dead.

Caros
May 14, 2008

I missed the goal of posting this on x-mas day, but in the spirit of the source material I did so for my own rational self interest. I hope you enjoy my disgustingly altruistic 'present' for you all:

Err... oops.

Let's Read: Atlas Shrugged

So I've been bouncing around doing this for a little over a year, keeps getting on my plate and then dropping off when real life shits all over me. I've got a bit of a backlog so I should be able to upload it with reasonable speed. That said there is absolutely no release schedule or anything with this. I'll post chapters of this garbage book for garbage people whenever I have the time.

For those of you who don't know what the gently caress Atlas Shrugged is... well you can check the OP for my initial run down of Objectivism if you'd like. It is basically that. Atlas Shrugged is a lovely philisophical treatise about how being a psychopath is actually a good thing and we should all try and be more like psychopaths. Except we can't because we are not Ubermench and people cannot improve themselves, you are either a godking from birth or you aren't. Gordon Gecko is famous for saying 'Greed is good' but Ayn Rand takes that even further. Selfishness is good. Ayn Rand thinks that self interest is the only moral good in the universe, that you are a better person the more you care about yourself and the less you care about others. It is a distubringly sick belief that is nonetheless embraced by 'serious' economists, professors and politicians. Paul Ryan, the man currently third in line for the Presidency of the United States was obsessed with this book and used to force his staffers to read it so that they could properly understand his worldview.

I could rant for literal hours about all they lovely things that have come to light as a result of objectivism in general, and Ayn Rand in specific, but before we begin I'll give you the tl;dr of Atlas Shrugged if you want to save time:

quote:

There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.

Part 1: Non-Contradiction

Chapter 1: The Theme

quote:

"Who is John Galt?"

Fuuuuuuuuck! Why am I doing this? What engendered me to pick this trash novel up once again? Also lets get this started: Who is John Galt Counter: 1

quote:

The light was ebbing, and Eddie Willers could not distinguish the bum's face. The bum had said it simply, without expression. But from the sunset far at the end of the street, yellow glints caught his eyes, and the eyes looked straight at Eddie Willers, mocking and still—as if the question had been addressed to the causeless uneasiness within him.

"Why did you say that?" asked Eddie Willers, his voice tense.

The bum leaned against the side of the doorway; a wedge of broken glass behind him reflected the metal yellow of the sky.

"Why does it bother you?" he asked.

"It doesn't," snapped Eddie Willers.

So who wants to know about John Galt? Its a hobo who I'm sure won't be important later. There is no context for why he is asking about John Galt, how this hobo knows who John Galt is or why he'd ask someone for a dime and then make small talk with them about John Galt. If I were a more cynical man I'd have almost suspected that Ayn Rand just wanted that to be the opening line of her book so she just inserted a bum into the scene so that she could get it in. It would certainly not be the last time she shits on the poor while using them to advance the plot.

quote:

It was the calendar that the mayor of New York had erected last year on the top of a building, so that citizens might tell the day of the month as they told the hours of the day, by glancing up at a public tower. A white rectangle hung over the city, imparting the date to the men in the streets below. In the rusty light of this evening's sunset, the rectangle said: September 2.

Eddie Willers looked away. He had never liked the sight of that calendar. It disturbed him, in a manner he could not explain or define. The feeling seemed to blend with his sense of uneasiness; it had the same quality.

This book was published in 1957, so this sort of historical anachronism is actually sort of cute to me. Also if you are an intelligent reader I'm guessing you can discern precisely why Eddie didn't like the sight of the calendar, even though it isn't fully spelled out.

quote:

When he came to Fifth Avenue, he kept his eyes on the windows of the stores he passed. There was nothing he needed or wished to buy; but he liked to see the display of good?, any goods, objects made by men, to be used by men. He enjoyed the sight of a prosperous street; not more than every fourth one of the stores was out of business, its windows dark and empty

This is the first time I have re-read this book since I was a teenager, and I nearly put the book down here. It's probably just my imagination, but knowing what I now know of Ayn Rand this paragraph just... ugh. It feels almost sexual to me, though I know that isn't quite the right word. Just the concept of Ayn Rand shivering in delight whenever she thinks of manufactured goods is simply revolting to me, like that awful fanfic someone wrote about Ann Coulter bringing a liberal home for kinky sex.

And yeah, if I have to suffer through this, so do you.

quote:

Years later, he heard it said that children should be protected from shock, from their first knowledge of death, pain or fear. But these had never scarred him; his shock came when he stood very quietly, looking into the black hole of the trunk. It was an immense betrayal—the more terrible because he could not grasp what it was that had been betrayed. It was not himself, he knew, nor his trust; it was something else. He stood there for a while, making no sound, then he walked back to the house. He never spoke about it to anyone, then or since.

I'm going to try and avoid quoting every single goddamn paragraph, but this section bothers me to no end. It is a weird, pointless interlude about how Eddie remembers this powerful tree that he always felt safe with that had been struck by lighting, and how he feels betrayed that the invincible tree could be felled by lighting. It is lovely symbolism for a later part of the book, but what bothers me about it is the bolded section. Knowledge of fear never scared him? Christ, hire an editor you hack.

quote:

James Taggart sat at his desk. He looked like a man approaching fifty, who had crossed into age from adolescence, without the intermediate stage of youth. He had a small, petulant mouth, and thin hair clinging to a bald forehead. His posture had a limp, decentralized sloppiness, as if in defiance of his tall, slender body, a body with an elegance of line intended for the confident poise of an aristocrat, but transformed into the gawkiness of a lout. The flesh of his face was pale and soft. His eyes were pale and veiled, with a glance that moved slowly, never quite stopping, gliding off and past things in eternal resentment of their existence. He looked obstinate and drained. He was thirty-nine years old.

After more tree talk, a lovely flashback in a paragraph that goes on way too long and the godawful phrase 'Vanishing, like a raindrop on the glass of a window, its course in the shape of a questionmark.' we are introduced to James Taggart and our first taste of Ayn's patented 'anyone I don't like slouches and looks like poo poo because they aren't a real manly man' shtick. I know other fiction does this, but I find it is especially noticeable in Atlas Shrugged since the majority of characters tend to fit this mold.

Anyways, lets talk trains. You do like trains, right? Because there are trains in this book.

quote:

He looked at James Taggart and said, "It's the Rio Norte Line." He noticed Taggart's glance moving down to a corner of the desk. "We've had another wreck."

"Railroad accidents happen every day. Did you have to bother me about that?"

"You know what I'm saying, Jim. The Rio Norte is done for. That track is shot. Down the whole line."

"We are getting a new track."

Eddie Willers continued as if there had been no answer: "That track is shot. It's no use trying to run trains down there. People are giving up trying to use them."

"There is not a railroad in the country, it seems to me, that doesn't have a few branches running at a deficit. We're not the only ones. It's a national condition—a temporary national condition."

Eddie stood looking at him silently. What Taggart disliked about Eddie Willers was this habit of looking straight into people's eyes. Eddie's eyes were blue, wide and questioning; he had blond hair and a square face, unremarkable except for that look of scrupulous attentiveness and open, puzzled wonder.

drat that manly man looking him in the eyes! drat him and his sexy (aryan) face.

So the problem is that they are having trouble running trains. Why? Atlas Shrugged is set in the nebulous 'near future' which would peg it sometime during the 1970's or 1980's as envisioned by someone in the 1950's. Sometime in between 1957 and 1970ish, people forgot how to lay railroad tracks in a way that trains didn't simply pop off them. In particular the steel they used in the tracks was apparently really lovely, and Orren Boyle at Associated Steel has been promising them new rail for thirteen months. But that is okay, James Taggart apparently doesn't give a gently caress that trains are constantly derailing and his major supplier of steel can't be bothered to fix them. But you know who can?

quote:

"Well, whatever else you say, there's one thing you're not going to mention next—and that's Rearden Steel."

Eddie did not answer at once, then said quietly, "All right, Jim. I won't mention it."

"Orren is my friend." He heard no answer. "I resent your attitude. Orren Boyle will deliver that rail just as soon as it's humanly possible. So long as he can't deliver it, nobody can blame us."

"Jim! What are you talking about? Don't you understand that the Rio Norte Line is breaking up—whether anybody blames us or not?"

"People would put up with it—they'd have to—if it weren't for the Phoenix-Durango." He saw Eddie's face tighten. "Nobody ever complained about the Rio Norte Line, until the Phoenix-Durango came on the
scene."

"The Phoenix-Durango is doing a brilliant job."

Rearden Steel :argh:

Orren and James are good old crony capitalists but look! An enterprising train startup is breaking up their monopoly, even though real life rail was heavily subsidized by the government due to the fact that laying thousands of miles of track is basically impossible to do. I do especially love how Eddie not only talks poo poo about how bad they are, but how good their competitors are.

quote:

Those oil wells, Eddie thought suddenly, didn't they have something in common with the blood vessels on the map? Wasn't that the way the red stream of Taggart Transcontinental had shot across the country, years ago, a feat that seemed incredible now? He thought of the oil wells spouting a black stream that ran over a continent almost faster than the trains of the Phoenix-Durango could carry it. That oil field had been only a rocky patch in the mountains of Colorado, given up as exhausted long ago. Ellis Wyatt's father had managed to squeeze an obscure living to the end of his days, out of the dying oil wells. Now it was as if somebody had given a shot of adrenalin to the heart of the mountain, the heart had started pumping, the black blood had burst through the rocks—of course it's blood, thought Eddie Willers, because blood is supposed to feed, to give life, and that is what Wyatt Oil had done. It had shocked empty slopes of ground into sudden existence, it had brought new towns, new power plants, new factories to a region nobody had ever noticed on any map. New factories, thought Eddie Willers, at a time when the freight revenues from all the great old industries were dropping slowly year by year; a rich new oil field, at a time when the pumps were stopping in one famous field after another; a new industrial state where nobody had expected anything but cattle and beets. One man had done it, and he had done it in eight years; this, thought Eddie Willers, was like the stories he had read in school books and never quite believed, the stories of men who had lived in the days of the country's youth. He wished he could meet Ellis Wyatt. There was a great deal of talk about him, but few had ever met him; he seldom came to New York. They said he was thirty-three years old and had a violent temper. He had discovered some way to revive exhausted oil wells and he had proceeded to revive them.

Nazi supermen are our superiors. This sort of poo poo is a theme throughout the book and will come to infuriate you as you read it. Inventions do not work this way, as invention is in almost all cases and inherently iterative process and one that is almost never done by broad chested, handsome oil tycoons in their 30's. I've mostly included this paragraph because, yeah. That is one paragraph.

quote:

"I think he's a destructive, unscrupulous ruffian. I think he's an irresponsible upstart who's been grossly overrated." It was astonishing to hear a sudden emotion in James Taggart's lifeless voice. "I'm not so sure that his oil fields are such a beneficial achievement. It seems to me that he's dislocated the economy of the whole country. Nobody expected Colorado to become an industrial state. How can we have any security or plan anything if everything changes all the time?"

"Good God, Jim! He's—"

"Yes, I know, I know, he's making money. But that is not the standard, it seems to me, by which one gauges a man's value to society. And as for his oil, he'd come crawling to us. and he'd wait his turn along with all the other shippers, and he wouldn't demand more than his fair share of transportation—if it weren't for the Phoenix-Durango. We can't help it if we're up against destructive competition of that kind. Nobody can blame us."

Just to remind you, James Taggart is supposed to be the CEO of a national shipping empire. And he's whining that he has competition. To call him a strawman seems lacking. Strawzilla perhaps? Anyways there is a little 'But you can't be serious', 'Yes I can now get the gently caress out of my office I'm the president you peasant' back and for that leads to:

quote:

Pop Harper glanced up at Eddie Willers as he came out of the president's office. It was a wise, slow glance; it seemed to say that he knew that Eddie's visit to their part of the building meant trouble on the line, knew that nothing had come of the visit, and was completely indifferent to the knowledge. It was the cynical indifference which Eddie Willers had seen in the eyes of the bum on the street corner.

"Say, Eddie, know where I could get some woolen undershirts?" he asked, "Tried all over town, but nobody's got 'em."

"I don't know," said Eddie, stopping. "Why do you ask me?

"I just ask everybody. Maybe somebody'll tell me.""

This plus a followup rant about his typewriter being broken and requiring three months for a replacement part are intended to be indicative of all of the shortages that exist in the bizarro 1970's of Atlas Shrugged. It is worth noting that Ayn Rand originally hailed from the Soviet Union and a lot of her fears had to do with bread lines and shortages of basic materials, such as steel. Much of the book is presented as the struggle of capitalism to overcome the nonsense of socialists who simply don't care that everything is lovely, even in cases where it is obvious they could be doing a better job.

quote:

"It's no use, Eddie," said Pop Harper.

"What's no use?"

"Nothing. Anything."

"What's the matter, Pop?"

"I'm not going to requisition a new typewriter. The new ones are made of tin. When the old ones go, that will be the end of typewriting. There was an accident in the subway this morning, their brakes wouldn't work. You ought to go home, Eddie, turn on the radio and listen to a good dance band. Forget it, boy. Trouble with you is you never had a hobby. Somebody stole the electric light bulbs again, from off the staircase, down where I live. I've got a pain in my chest. Couldn't get any cough drops this morning, the drugstore on our corner went bankrupt last week. The Texas-Western Railroad went bankrupt last month. They closed the Queensborough Bridge yesterday for temporary repairs. Oh well, what's the use? Who is John Galt?"

Who is John Galt Counter: 2

No I didn't miss something, nor is that poor formatting or a fuckup in my E-Pub. She actually ends the scene with... that. I get what she's going for, rambling old man, but holy hell does it feel like she had a stroke while writing that.

Next time: We meet Ayn Rand's self insert rape bait. :barf:

Caros fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Dec 26, 2016

Caros
May 14, 2008

John Galt Guessing Contest

As a fun little aside for anyone who cares, I'm proposing a very simple game.

Without cheating by Ctrl-F searching a PDF version of the story, guess how many times the phrase "Who is John Galt?" is going to appear throughout the course of Atlas Shrugged. We are using Price is Right rules up in this house, so the person who comes the closest without going over will be declared the winner.

That person will win nothing, because it is not in my rational self interest to offer prizes for no reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CARL MARK FORCE IV
Sep 2, 2007

I took a walk. And threw up in an English garden.

I breathlessly read Atlas Shrugged back when I was an idiot 17-yr old & then went on to consider myself an "Objectivist" for almost a year afterward. Haven't touched the book since.
Really excited about this

edit: gonna guess 35 "who is john galt"s

CARL MARK FORCE IV fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Dec 26, 2016