Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
Watching the Rockets comeback and good lorb how has TThib not gone into conniptions and exploded

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
I think Sam Mitchell is a great coach to have as a tank commander and young player developer

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

I think Sam Mitchell is a great coach to have as a tank commander and young player developer

Agree. I hope he gets another chance with a young team. You won't win much, but basically every single one of his young guys got better playing under him.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
You can tell that just by how cool and chill he is with the guys, he's like your one friend who has the cool dad that will let the you drink beers and smoke weed in the basement.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

I was really sad that we didn't get to keep him as an assistant :(

The B_36
Jul 10, 2012
Wait, people are missing Sam Mitchell of all guys as a coach suddenly? He's always seemed like one of those ultra old school guys who the game has passed by at this point.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Nick get ready for the Payne Train cause he's ready to kick a grizzlies rear end
https://twitter.com/ChrisBHaynes/status/810338422489575424

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

The B_36 posted:

Wait, people are missing Sam Mitchell of all guys as a coach suddenly? He's always seemed like one of those ultra old school guys who the game has passed by at this point.

He was a terrible head coach but he was a great assistant, especially with regards to developing younger players.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Sam Mitchell should not be allowed within 50 yards of NBA talent.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Lockback posted:

Agree. I hope he gets another chance with a young team. You won't win much, but basically every single one of his young guys got better playing under him.

Before my car's satellite radio stopped working, he was the best guy on NBA radio, you could get the sense he had an intuitive understanding of people and in turn what players needed to develop. Putting a super gazelle with no ball skills, Zach Lavine, at point guard humbled him, and resulted in massive improvement in his game. He put Karl Towns in places where he had clear advantages over defenders and seemed to really build his confidence.

Obviously he didn't coach optimally for winning, but he did a very good job bringing out the potential of their young players.

Thibs needs to adjust his technique, because he doesn't have Kevin Garnett or Joachim Noah to be the yelling angry man on the floor

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
What would be the best landing spot for Bogut in the inevitable trade? He can still play good defense but has been off at everything on the offensive end, occasionally including attempting to get to that side of the court.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Dave Joerger took the Sacramento Bee to task during his pregame presser for their treatment of Boogie.

mbison-yes.gif

Burn the Bee to the ground

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

BWV posted:

Sam Mitchell should not be allowed within 50 yards of NBA talent.
He should have to go door to door whenever he moves into a new neighborhood and let them know the things he has done for basketball

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Bulls are gonna be okay everyone...

https://twitter.com/KCJHoop/status/810583931024211968

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Tae posted:

The last 2 years was nothing but "Cleveland made a mistake trading wiggins for love" until this summer

I dunno if that was really true here I think it was pretty split other than I guess maybe in the Finals when Love was really bad. Anyway people who said it was a bad trade are dumb it was a good trade that made perfect sense for both teams

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Spoeank posted:

Dave Joerger took the Sacramento Bee to task during his pregame presser for their treatment of Boogie.

mbison-yes.gif

Burn the Bee to the ground

https://twitter.com/mr_jasonjones/status/810590415103676420

Joerge is a pretty cool guy

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

And just last year the Kings thought George Karl was the guy to get through to Cousins

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

MourningView posted:

Anyway people who said it was a bad trade are dumb it was a good trade that made perfect sense for both teams

I thought it was a dumb trade because there are maybe a dozen players I would trade the number one pick for and Kevin Love wasn't one of them but I guess the Cavs won a championship and are cool with paying a billion dollars in luxury tax so it all worked out.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
Oh hey Rockets are #3 at least until this Clippers Wizards game ends. It's good to be on top.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I would trade Wiggins for 6 years of prime Kevin Love at his price, even if you told me Wiggins eventually becomes a good 3-point shooter.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Dave Joerger is a cool and good coach, I hope Boogie stays so he can dunk on lovely reporters forever

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Dave Joerger just did the cool manager when the lovely customer demands to speak to them and they just repeat what you said and tell the customer to gently caress off

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
Good job, Dave Joerger. I'm glad he spoke out. Now we get to watch the poor "diminutive reporters" whip themselves into a feeding frenzy. I hope they play the "freedom of speech" card to justify writing lovely bullshit columns.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

chunkles posted:

Oh hey Rockets are #3 at least until this Clippers Wizards game ends. It's good to be on top.

Oh hey Rockets are still #3. This is looking like a second round exit team for sure! ~*shoot 4 da moon and if u miss ull land in the stars*~

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
https://twitter.com/cagrizbeat/status/810625462712107008

The funny and popular dog in the burning house meme saying this is fine

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
I'm not concerned. It feels like teams looking for veteran leadership kick the tires on TA every year

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
Has this been posted? Pistons had a players-only meeting, and I guess the point was to call out Reggie Jackson?

quote:

“I did a lot of the talking, I said at the end of the meeting that we have to make a decision,” Morris said. “Everybody go home tonight and decide on what you want to do. Do you want to be a winning team or do you want to continue to get embarrassed? Are you going to play for the next man beside you or are you going to play for yourself?”

When Van Gundy emerged to address the media, he had some comments of his own.

“Our offensive frustration is affecting us at the defensive end and we’re losing heart a little bit,” Van Gundy said. “That’s concerning. The offense has not been moving the way it should. The ball is not moving. I got to look at play calls and the whole thing.
“We went through stretches where Reggie (Jackson) made some plays in the third quarter and we were scoring, but again, what happens is, we’re scoring, but we’re trading baskets. Part of it is, we got guys upset they’re not touching the ball and everything else so they’re not as engaged in the game on the defensive end of the floor.”

This is very much in line with Morris’ own beliefs on what ails the Pistons at this point. He went on to say:

“If you have a guy wide open, he has to get the ball. It builds guys’ confidence. It makes the game funner. That’s just how it is. Of course some dudes are going to get more shots than other dudes. That’s how the game goes,” Morris said. “Guys are not going to respond well when they don’t get the ball when they’re open. That’s just basketball. That’s just the right way. The Spurs, Golden State, Cleveland, the top tier teams play the right way. You never win if you don’t play the right way. That’s just the bottom line.”

This passes both the eye-test and the numbers test. Since Reggie Jackson’s return, he has been as ball-dominant as ever. After posting a career-high in usage last season of 29.1 percent, his rate of 29 percent this year is close behind. This has been at the expense of his fellow starters, all of whom had reached a performance peak while playing with Ish Smith in Jackson’s relief over the first 21 games of the season.

http://pistonpowered.com/2016/12/18/detroit-pistons-reach-boiling-point/

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

dokmo posted:

I thought it was a dumb trade because there are maybe a dozen players I would trade the number one pick for and Kevin Love wasn't one of them but I guess the Cavs won a championship and are cool with paying a billion dollars in luxury tax so it all worked out.

This seems oddly decontextualized for you. Wiggins was never going to be a good enough player to be a major contributor on a contender before Lebron got old and died. Hell the odds any given number one overall pick ever becomes as good as Kevin Love are maybe 50/50 and I'm not even inclined to be generous to Love. Off the top of my head, in the last ten years not counting this year, at least Bargnani, Rose, Oden, and Bennett were appreciably worse, Wall and Irving aren't definitively better, and I think Wiggins probably never will be. Griffin, Davis, and probably Towns are the only guys I wouldn't take Love over on most teams right now or at the start of their careers, given the benefit of hindsight.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

DeimosRising posted:

This seems oddly decontextualized for you. Wiggins was never going to be a good enough player to be a major contributor on a contender before Lebron got old and died.

That may be true. I mean, what really matters is that lebron wanted the trade to happen and it did, so it's a good trade if it keeps him happy. I was not aware of the Cavs willingness to pay so much lux tax, which also makes the trade look better from a 2014 perspective. I still think that Wiggins would he a much more productive player playing off the ball, but even if he wasn't you could still trade him for a shooting four like Ibaka or something. I still think trading a #1 pick for anyone that doesn't have James in his name is probably a bad thing, but I could be wrong.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Really, you wouldn't trade a #1 pick for westbrook or Durant? Or even Jarden?

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

Tae posted:

James Jarden does have James in his name though.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

Tae posted:

I was exaggerating. There are maybe 10-20 players I would probably trade a #1 pick for pre-draft.

Paulocaust
Jan 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Boogie is a dipshit rear end in a top hat that deserves what he gets

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

Tae posted:

I mean all you gotta do is beat Durant in the playoffs and he'll come knocking

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

dokmo posted:

That may be true. I mean, what really matters is that lebron wanted the trade to happen and it did, so it's a good trade if it keeps him happy. I was not aware of the Cavs willingness to pay so much lux tax, which also makes the trade look better from a 2014 perspective. I still think that Wiggins would he a much more productive player playing off the ball, but even if he wasn't you could still trade him for a shooting four like Ibaka or something. I still think trading a #1 pick for anyone that doesn't have James in his name is probably a bad thing, but I could be wrong.

I think if your team is bad, then totally. If your team is somehow good or even decent and has a #1 pick like the cavs did, a sure thing lesser all star is probably going to move the needle more than, say, 2011 John Wall or even 2015 Karl Towns. A bird in the hand and all that, plus the birds in the bush are equally likely to be a tape recorder playing bird sounds with a picture of Andrea Bargani face planting taped to the front and a bomb taped to the back.

Say you're the Clippers right now and have the first overall. By the time Josh Jackson is an all star, if he ever is, CP3 will be 35 or older with a ton of miles, and Griffin and Jordan will be in their 30s and at the tail end of their primes at best. But if that pick could bring you Gordon Hayward or Paul Millsap or even Carmelo, even though they'll be cooked when Jackson is a perennial all NBA guy in ten years, you've probably improved your chances at a title. You may never have the chance to put two or three other stars on a team with your number one pick even if he is one. The Cavs KNEW they could put a top 20ish guy at the time next to James.

The luxury tax is a black box for me though, no way for me to know what any given owner will pay for a contender, or what the threshold of "likely to win a title" is where they say gently caress the money.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
I would undoubtedly trade a #1 pick for RBB. Hell, I would trade two of them.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
I love RBB.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Any time you can trade for a hall of famer in his prime you should do it. The love trade was a no brainer. Especially since he fits well with lebron.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
The Mavs are no longer the worst team in the league. :cheers:
The Mavs are going to play themselves out of a great pick. :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

Spacebump posted:

The Mavs are no longer the worst team in the league. :cheers:
The Mavs are going to play themselves out of a great pick. :negative:

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/18295171/dirk-nowitzki-eyes-december-return-dallas-mavericks

quote:

"Hopefully, I'll be back in action anytime soon. Maybe I'm a Christmas gift."

Is it weird if all I can picture here is a nude Dirk with one of those way oversized christmas bows covering his junk

• Locked thread