Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Most important thing to know about DS2 is that rolling sucks so you want to get your adaptability up to raise agility to about 100 asap

Or if you're a caster (or even a non-caster who plans to take a handful of utility spells), attunement also raises agility, so raise attunement as much as you plan to and then pad out the rest of your needed agility by raising adaptability. Adaptability does raise agility more effectively in a vacuum, but if you're getting some anyway from attunement, no need to overshoot the mark by raising adaptability first.

Some other things:

Unlike DS1 and DS3, equipment durability is A Real Thing To Think About. There are various ways to deal with it, but early on your main method should be "have some backup weapons on hand and switch around what you're hitting things with so nothing fully breaks". Anything that's damaged but unbroken will be fixed by resting at a bonfire or a co-op win, but anything that's fully broken can only be fixed with a blacksmith NPC for a fee in souls.

Speaking of co-op, it's enormously helpful for sustainability. In the first real area, Forest of the Fallen Giants, when you get to the main bonfire (Cardinal Tower iirc), head upstairs and smack down the "locked" door. (Alternatively wait until after the first boss and just unlock it, but what fun is that?) Beyond it you'll find a small white soapstone. Elsewhere in that zone you can do a mini quest for an NPC named Pate, who'll reward you with the regular white soapstone.

Small soapstone co-op lasts for X kills (or souls from kills?) or Y minutes and you can be summoned even by people who've killed all the bosses. Regular soapstone co-op lasts until you kill a boss (it may have a time limit too, but if so it's very generous). More to the point, succeeding in either sort of co-op, including the low-commitment easy-qualifications small soapstone co-op, will:

- Make you fully human and unhollowed again
- Refill your health
- Refill all your estus charges
- Refill all your spell charges
- Repair all durability for your (not completely broken) equipped gear

It's basically like resting at a bonfire and using a human effigy without respawning everything or having the option to change your spells or teleport. Needless to say, regularly plunking down a small soapstone sign will work wonders for longevity. Similarly, summon peeps with small soapstone signs for the same reason - you get free help, they get a free bonfire-like restore for helping you.

Don't do this (summon peeps) if you've already murdered everything in the area though, unless you're willing to wait out the small soapstone time limit for them to get their benefits. Also don't do this if you plan to go through a boss room of a boss you've already defeated - that'll kick them out without a reward just like if you'd banished them with black crystal, and kicking out your helpers without letting them get their reward is very poor form.

Vil fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Dec 18, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard
I have Deus Ex Human Revolution - Directors Cut on my " finally to play" list. Any hints? Stealth or Fight approach?

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Mr.PayDay posted:

I have Deus Ex Human Revolution - Directors Cut on my " finally to play" list. Any hints? Stealth or Fight approach?

Fighting will usually get you killed even with all the upgrades.

I think the rest of the important stuff is on the before I play website.

I do remember the upgrade that lets you see vision cones being extremely helpful

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
DXHR is best when played "stealth until things go tits up, then go combat".

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

Mr.PayDay posted:

If you can get the drop on folks either way and as long as you have a gun of some sort you care about to upgrade, you'll be fine. The pistol is a real solid choice for that, for example. Really, as long as you realize you can and will die in a few seconds of sustained gunfire and use cover to your advantage, you should be tough to take out if it ever happens at all.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Also, don't be a monster and look out for your VTOL pilot.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Poison Mushroom posted:

100% this.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Poison Mushroom posted:

Disagree! I played 100% nonlethal and had a lot of fun. There are segments where you get caught and need to fight some dudes, but that's what the PEPS and the multi-takedown aug are for.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

Disagree! I played 100% nonlethal and had a lot of fun. There are segments where you get caught and need to fight some dudes, but that's what the PEPS and the multi-takedown aug are for.

It's all viable; just do whatever is the most fun for you, the game won't handicap you for trying to enjoy yourself. Unless you try to play it like doom and gun down everyone while ignoring cover and maneuvering entirely, that won't work very well, as everyone has mentioned.

Also, if you're trying to go for a 100% nonlethal run, be aware that the enemies in the tutorial section, where you don't have access to nonlethal takedowns, still count, so avoid contact if that's your personal goal.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

I think his point, overall, was that you don't need to savescum your way through perfectly ghosting the game first time through. Unless you're a stealth sperg where that is your jam (which is fine), you'll probably have more fun doing your best to stealth stuff and then if you get caught, fighting it out.

Oh, but if you need to break line of sight or stealth stuff in an open area, get the arm upgrade that lets you pick up heavy objects. I'm kind of crap at stealthing, and I still made it out of an area where I didn't want to just kill everyone once I was caught by picking up a vending machine or a copier or something and just crab walking away behind it. They never do come investigate the mysterious floating copier, and it still blocks LOS to your character.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Trying to go completely nonlethal is definitely something you shouldn't do your first time through the game. Usually it just leads to savescumming. But the only thing you get for it is an achievement.

Also the Casie aug leads to some interesting dialogue battles. Its worth it to pick it up.

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

I've got a hot deal on a bridge to the Pegasus Galaxy!
Grimey Drawer

Mr.PayDay posted:

Picking up fridges and leaving them on people's beds or in their showers never stops being amusing.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

blackguy32 posted:

Also, don't be a monster and look out for your VTOL pilot.
Always strive to be the best wingman.

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!
I can't find a Resident Evil thread so I'll ask here: in Resi 6 is the loot each partner gets different in co-op on higher difficulties?

edit: im dumb and found it after i posted this but the question still stands

eleven extra elephants fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Dec 19, 2016

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Mr.PayDay posted:

Like the original DX, HR can be played pretty much the way you want to; bullets everywhere, stealthy killer, or invisible ghost.

However, if you want to murder everyone, you have to play it smart. Use cover, use choke points, use mines and grenades, try to split up big groups.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

eleven extra elephants posted:

I can't find a Resident Evil thread so I'll ask here: in Resi 6 is the loot each partner gets different in co-op on higher difficulties?

edit: im dumb and found it after i posted this but the question still stands

I know ammo is instanced. You only see ammo that's available to you. So it's impossible to steal your partners ammo

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Mr.PayDay posted:

Get the basic handgun, then hunt down the Silencer and Armor Piercing upgrades. You're now set for anything short of a boss fight.

Also get the CASIE aug asap, it's useful in a lot of places.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Dark Souls is really poo poo about communicating how some basic mechanics work and basically assumes you'll look some things up.

This is totally false, watch Kay's lets play videos if you don't believe me. Only if you're a bad. As long as you're patient and observant you don't need to look up dick.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Zaphod42 posted:

This is totally false, watch Kay's lets play videos if you don't believe me. Only if you're a bad. As long as you're patient and observant you don't need to look up dick.

"Watch this random long LP which makes my point somewhere in it" isn't a very convincing argument, sorry, nor is the over-repeated implication that I'm bad at it.

You only have to look at Poise in DS3 to see the kinds of problems the series/devs have with clearly communication.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
I mean, "you can figure out mechanics with extremely careful experimentation" is not a good sign for communicating effectively. I enjoy the Dark Souls games a lot, but there's this dogma around them that they can do no wrong, which is really weird when you have poo poo like a stat in DS1 that does literally nothing.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

I mean, "you can figure out mechanics with extremely careful experimentation" is not a good sign for communicating effectively. I enjoy the Dark Souls games a lot, but there's this dogma around them that they can do no wrong, which is really weird when you have poo poo like a stat in DS1 that does literally nothing.
Don't you know, that's just a trap to weed out the casuals, leaving only the hardcore gamers like me who looked it up are inherently better human beings.

HaroldofTheRock
Jun 3, 2003

Pillbug
I kind of want to pick up Snake Eater for 3DS, but I haven't played a single Metal Gear game...is this a bad idea?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

HaroldofTheRock posted:

I kind of want to pick up Snake Eater for 3DS, but I haven't played a single Metal Gear game...is this a bad idea?

Snake Eater's perfectly fine on its own, it's a prequel and completely standalone (save for setting up certain things for MGS4).

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

HaroldofTheRock posted:

It's probably the best place to start in the series if you don't want to find an old playstation or gamecube. Also just an extremely good game in general.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

HaroldofTheRock posted:

If you have an Xbox 360 I'd recommend the collection or the Essentials for PS3 but the MGS3ds is a solid port from the demo I played. Probably better on New 3DS or with the thumbpad pro.

HaroldofTheRock
Jun 3, 2003

Pillbug
Great, thanks guys.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

HaroldofTheRock posted:

Don't get sucked into the trap of always going for max camouflage percentage. You'll be in and out of menus all the time and it gets annoying. Pick one you like that has decent percentage and you should be good. The 3ds version having crouch walking is a godsend also. Never not be crouching. Don't be afraid to experiment. Do weird poo poo. If you get an alert don't just die and restart the area. Try to escape it. Have fun!

And finally, try to remember some of the basics of CQC.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

You're clearly just a bad, Zaphod said so.

As for MGS3 another good version is the Vita port, if you have one. And look up the videos of that Japanese guy who breaks the game open in funny ways while wearing an Ape Escape mask since it's both entertaining and will make you want to try more crazy stuff in the game.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
Would someone kindly give me some tips for Tyranny? Like what to focus on to be the most smug rules lawyer of an evil overlord dude? Do you starting stats/skills really matter much? Anything in general to know before diving in?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Anything for Cook Serve Delicious? Normally, I don't do the mix/maxing sort of thing, but for this game, I want to see beyond the first few offerings, but I feel like I'm missing out on something obvious, and just not doing that well. I mean, I'm doing well in terms of gameplay, but holy poo poo, it's taking forever for stuff to unlock. Any essential things to buy right off the bat?

Mobile version, if that changes anything.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

WarLocke posted:

Would someone kindly give me some tips for Tyranny? Like what to focus on to be the most smug rules lawyer of an evil overlord dude? Do you starting stats/skills really matter much? Anything in general to know before diving in?

Your starting skills and stats do matter, but mostly towards what kind of character you want to play. Look at what the stats do, and then try and shape your stats around what kind of character you want to play. If you want to play a tanky brawler, maybe don't neglect might and constitution. That said, Might is damage regardless of source, so a high damage caster would still want Might rather than just stacking Int.

You also have your non-combat skills, like Lore and Athletics. These will come up in both puzzle type situations (I.E. you have enough Lore to recognize that the rune you're looking at is a trap, or enough athletics to jump across a collapsing bridge) and conversations, such as Athletics letting you intimidate someone or Lore letting you pick up on the fact that they're wearing a fancy nobleman hat.

The system has been refined quite a bit from Pillars of Eternity, so you kind of have to be actively trying to make a bad character to end up with one in normal play.

Oh, and don't go in thinking you can make friends with everyone. What groups you are friends or enemies with, for the most part, is up to you. But I would advise you to be strong in your convictions, regardless of what you choose.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Anything for Cook Serve Delicious? Normally, I don't do the mix/maxing sort of thing, but for this game, I want to see beyond the first few offerings, but I feel like I'm missing out on something obvious, and just not doing that well. I mean, I'm doing well in terms of gameplay, but holy poo poo, it's taking forever for stuff to unlock. Any essential things to buy right off the bat?

Mobile version, if that changes anything.

It takes 20 days to get each new star level, no matter what you do. Money will stack up enough to get everything you need for the next rank. Prioritize the equipment that unlocks new foods, eases chores, or makes wait times longer, then get food that you enjoy making, preferably those that have a few upgrades (check the maximum star rating).

Dunno about mobile differences, though. I used it to calibrate myself to mechanical keyboards.

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013
ASK:lol: ME:lol: ABOUT:lol: MY :lol:TINY :lol:DICK

also my opinion on :females:
:haw::flaccid: :haw: :flaccid: :haw: :flaccid::haw:

blackguy32 posted:

Trying to go completely nonlethal is definitely something you shouldn't do your first time through the game. Usually it just leads to savescumming. But the only thing you get for it is an achievement.

Also the Casie aug leads to some interesting dialogue battles. Its worth it to pick it up.

I think a lot of the people who really love Deus Ex are Serious Gamers who have probably played the game before. Trying to play the game the way I really wanted to the first time, lead to me quitting because some of the quirks of this game are complete bullshit. Like you can't tell people to play "however they want" with the absurd starting limitation to how many times you can do takedowns. The way the average person probably expects to play a stealth game- sneak up behind everyone and choke them out- isn't present in this game.

The starting advice for new players really should be: Pick a playstyle, but expect to adapt to whatever works for your situation. The game imposes some really drastic limitations. Trying to use your preferred playstyle in some situations will be difficult or impossible for new players who haven't yet learned all the little quirks of the game. So follow the above tips about general recommends, and soldier through until you get a feel for it all.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Dark Souls cannot fail, it can only be failed.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

revdrkevind posted:

The way the average person probably expects to play a stealth game- sneak up behind everyone and choke them out- isn't present in this game.

The stun gun is effectively the same thing, and you'll be buried in ammo for it if you're clearing maps and looting everything that isn't bolted down. Also the Director's Cut gives you 2 recharging cells on everything but the highest difficulty, so that helps.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

revdrkevind posted:

The way the average person probably expects to play a stealth game- sneak up behind everyone and choke them out- isn't present in this game.

Huh? Non-lethal takedowns are a huge part of the game.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

revdrkevind posted:

I think a lot of the people who really love Deus Ex are Serious Gamers who have probably played the game before. Trying to play the game the way I really wanted to the first time, lead to me quitting because some of the quirks of this game are complete bullshit. Like you can't tell people to play "however they want" with the absurd starting limitation to how many times you can do takedowns. The way the average person probably expects to play a stealth game- sneak up behind everyone and choke them out- isn't present in this game.

I'm really not sure what you mean by that; the game actively encourages you to sneak up behind people and and take them out. The only limitation is energy; just wait 10 seconds for it to recharge, or eat a Magic Candy Bar.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

WarLocke posted:

Lore is the God stat in this game. You'll wanna prioritize that above all else.

Also maybe check out a guide to finding the various accents and runes, some are very easy to miss.

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

Avast ye lubbers, lest ye be scuppered!

Gynovore posted:

I'm really not sure what you mean by that; the game actively encourages you to sneak up behind people and and take them out. The only limitation is energy; just wait 10 seconds for it to recharge, or eat a Magic Candy Bar.

Yeah, there are candy bars all over the place. There aren't all that many situations where you need to rapidly take down more than one guy if you're careful, so even with popping candy when I needed it I still finished the game with 20+ in my inventory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

That's not true. It fills you with confidence in your character, providing a much-needed morale boost which will help the player conquer the horrors of Lordran with firm determination.