Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Zomborgon posted:

I've had enough trouble with my Warlock player's ability to use Detect Magic at will. He's told me to treat his character as having that always on. He can see literally any "magic" within 30 ft, some barriers notwithstanding. Does that mean that he can tell if someone's a caster, and if so, can he tell what type? If an area is just suffused with magic, like an ancient eldritch temple, does that block out his sight by sheer volume? Ugh.

He's about to see a lot on thin lead coatings on things...

Instead of coating everything in lead, change how the spell works. The version in the book reads like you get x-ray vision but only for magic (ie, the most dangerous monsters and valuable loot). Change it to something like:

"You can tell if there's magic currently going on (ie, an ongoing spell effect, magic trap, dark ritual, etc) within 30' of you, and the general direction* of where it's located." (General direction = N, NW, W, SW etc and "close" or "far" within 30'). I think this should specifically exclude magic items in the sense of magical loot.

or

"If you can see something and it's within 30', you can tell whether or not it's magic and what school the magic's from". More specific, no restrictions on what gets detected, but also no seeing through walls, automatically picking out the one magic thing sitting under a pile of other things, or auto-detecting magic traps unless they're sitting right out in the open.

I'd be happy with either way as an always-on ability.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Dec 15, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Detect Magic is a Concentration duration ability, so if he wants to use any other cool warlock spell he's going to be dropping it every now and then anyway.

And if a party member can know something is magical on sight, so what? Not worth lead-coating things over. They chose to be able to see magic all the time, so let them see magic all the time. You wouldn't say "my fighter keeps hitting things twice with Action Surge and his sword, time to make foes that you can't hit twice".

TriggerHappy
Mar 14, 2007

Coating things with lead because a player used one of their few invocation slots to give their character free Detect Magic is a lovely and aggro way to deal with it.

Same goes for changing class features cause you don't like how they work. At the very least, talk to the player about it first and give them a chance to change their mind.

I don't even see the big deal. Yeah, the king has some abjuration spell going. He's got a court cleric, of course the cleric is keeping death ward up all the time. Yeah, there's magic in this temple, it's a loving temple. That chest has magic stuff in it, but it's a scroll of cure wounds or something equally unimportant.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

bewilderment posted:

Detect Magic is a Concentration duration ability, so if he wants to use any other cool warlock spell he's going to be dropping it every now and then anyway.

And if a party member can know something is magical on sight, so what? Not worth lead-coating things over. They chose to be able to see magic all the time, so let them see magic all the time. You wouldn't say "my fighter keeps hitting things twice with Action Surge and his sword, time to make foes that you can't hit twice".

I'd agree with you entirely if it was just "being able to see magic".

I think for the DM it'd be complicated to pull ambushes, hide stuff, etc if one PC could see magic through walls, constantly, as is the case with a warlock that's taken Eldritch Sight as an invocation. Like, sure, they have to drop it to do combat magic do other concentration spells, but otherwise they can have it always on - if something breaks their concentration, they can just re-cast it immediately for free.

Unless I'm missing something about concentration, Detect Magic, or eldritch invocations?

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012

Dick Burglar posted:

Edit: I've written "magic" too many times and now it looks like nonsense to me :eng99:
A magic magic magic magic magic magic magic magic magic magic magic magic
Mushroom mushroom

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

I would like to mention that it's less a problem in the fashion of "he's finding all my magic things oh noooo" and more "Holy heck, quit asking me if you see magic every two seconds, it's there, get over it, I'll tell you if there's anything actually interesting."

The lead was a joke, and I don't intend to mess with useful class features.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

AlphaDog posted:

I'd agree with you entirely if it was just "being able to see magic".

I think for the DM it'd be complicated to pull ambushes, hide stuff, etc if one PC could see magic through walls, constantly, as is the case with a warlock that's taken Eldritch Sight as an invocation. Like, sure, they have to drop it to do combat magic do other concentration spells, but otherwise they can have it always on - if something breaks their concentration, they can just re-cast it immediately for free.

Unless I'm missing something about concentration, Detect Magic, or eldritch invocations?

If a player is going to permanently concentrate to see magic let then detect magic ambushes good grief

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

mastershakeman posted:

If a player is going to permanently concentrate to see magic let then detect magic ambushes good grief

no thanks. detect magic is an incredible amount of feature creep as is without replacing one of the most important things a character without magic can do.

Doresh
Jan 7, 2015

mastershakeman posted:

Or have him be blinded if he happens to look at a high-level character decked out in magic equipment.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
now that I think about it, someone spending every waking minute concentrating on keeping one spell up can't actually level. the idea behind leveling is it assumes the character is working on various skills and abilities over time , which this dude wouldn't be doing.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
I don't actually think Detect Magic lets you see magic through walls. The phrasing is:

"For the duration, you sense the presence of magic within 30 feet of you. If you sense magic in this way, you can use your action to see a faint aura around any visible creature or object in the area that bears magic, and you learn its school of magic, if any.

The spell can penetrate most barriers, but it is blocked by 1 foot of stone, 1 inch of common metal, a thin sheet of lead, or 3 feet of wood or dirt."

So, 1. When anything magical comes within 30 feet of you, you sense that something magical is within 30 feet. Nothing about the quantity, intensity, or direction.

2. When you concentrate, anything you can see that's magical is highlighted in your vision.

So, if there's a magical object behind a half-foot of stone, and you walk up to it, you'll realize that something is within thirty feet of you as soon as you get close enough (your best guess is that it's right in front of you the way you were traveling, at the exact edge of your detection radius, but for all you know someone ran up behind you or teleported beneath you or whatever - it's not a sure thing). If you spend your action to literally see magic, you'll see... an ordinary wall. Because the wall, not the magic item, is visible to you, and the wall isn't magical. You won't apprehend a ghostly outline of a magic sword lying behind the wall, because you only see auras around visible creatures or objects, and the sword isn't visible to you as-is.

Conceivably this will let you detect magical ambushes of the "enemy uses magic disguise to hide in plain sight" sort, like if someone is crouched within an illusion of a boulder you'll notice that the boulder has a magical aura for some reason. But while it might alert you that an assassin is sneaking up on you (you're sitting in your room reading and suddenly become aware that something magical is now within thirty feet*), you won't actually know where they are or have any formal, mandatorily-granted benefit for the purpose of actually seeing through their stealth checks. I guess if your DM is generous they could grant you Advantage on perception rolls if the enemy creeping up on you is using or bearing magic and if they're relying in part on camouflage or distraction rather than avoiding being seen at all.

* This is probably actually useless because if you're a high level adventurer with their own collection of magic items or sorcerous familiars or whatever there is probably always something magical within 30 feet, so an assassin with a +1 dagger creeping from 31' out to 29' out will not register with you at all

Ferrinus fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Dec 17, 2016

Doresh
Jan 7, 2015
Do supernatural creatures or creatures with magical abilities count as a "presence of magic" for the purposes of Detect Magic?

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Doresh posted:

Do supernatural creatures or creatures with magical abilities count as a "presence of magic" for the purposes of Detect Magic?

If they've got a spell, or spell-like ability active then yes.

If not, then no.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Doresh posted:

:can:

I actually found something interesting pertaining to our previous discussion on knowing if you made a save or not. Apologies if someone already posted this:

quote:

Do you always know when you’re under the effect of a spell? You’re aware that a spell is affecting you if it has a perceptible effect or if its text says you’re aware of it (see PH, 204, under “Targetsâ€). Most spells are obvious. For example, fireball burns you, cure wounds heals you, and command forces you to suddenly do something you didn’t intend. Certain spells are more subtle, yet you become aware of the spell at a time specified in the spell’s description. Charm person and detect thoughts are examples of such spells.

Some spells are so subtle that you might not know you were ever under their effects. A prime example of that sort of spell is suggestion. Assuming you failed to notice the spellcaster casting the spell, you might simply remember the caster saying, “The treasure you’re looking for isn’t here. Go look for it in the room at the top of the next tower.†You failed your saving throw, and off you went to the other tower, thinking it was your idea to go there. You and your companions might deduce that you were beguiled if evidence of the spell is found. It’s ultimately up to the DM whether you discover the presence of inconspicuous spells. Discovery usually comes through the use of skills like Arcana, Investigation, Insight, and Perception or through spells like detect magic.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Anybody get the Adventures in Middle Earth book that is supposed to be compatible with 5th edition? Looks like it could be fun.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Open Marriage Night posted:

Anybody get the Adventures in Middle Earth book that is supposed to be compatible with 5th edition? Looks like it could be fun.

Yea I grabbed it from RPGNow, it's pretty cool, lots of character options.

Wouldn't go so far as to recommend it over just playing The One Ring, though. Unless your group doesn't want anything other than 5e.

Doresh
Jan 7, 2015

Spiteski posted:

Yea I grabbed it from RPGNow, it's pretty cool, lots of character options.

Wouldn't go so far as to recommend it over just playing The One Ring, though. Unless your group doesn't want anything other than 5e.

Man, reading the wikipedia entry of The One Ring makes it sound like you could also use Ryuutama instead. Probably with eagles instead of dragons.

Doresh fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Dec 18, 2016

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

I rolled up a lvl5 warlock last night for some christmas break d&d, and I chose not to take the detect magic invocation on my warlock because I figured my DM would hate it. Either I have to be annoying and ask for detect magic results all the time, or I convince the DM to make it automatic (like the OP's player) to streamline it, and then the DM feels like they have to modify the environment to thwart my ability. Sounds OP, but not super fun and I'd prefer to avoid being the player the DM is actively working at thwarting.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Why would anyone feel the need to thwart detect magic attempts? I can't think of a situation where the DM thinks "drat, he detected magic, there goes my plan! I wish he would stop doing that.".

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

I think the guy's original problem was "I don't mind that he has it, but since it's always on I wish he'd stop bothering me about it because I'll just let him know if something magic is around" but I'm phoneposting and checking would be a hassle.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Draxion posted:

I think the guy's original problem was "I don't mind that he has it, but since it's always on I wish he'd stop bothering me about it because I'll just let him know if something magic is around" but I'm phoneposting and checking would be a hassle.

Pretty much, though I sometimes use the opportunity to throw a bit of flavor at the party. In one case he found out that the ambient magic was odfly similar to that of his Eldrich Blast. ~~Spooky~~

Still, though, I should probably tell him some of the nuances that have been noted above, particularly the difference in detection range vs sight.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
Detect magic doesn't really break anything. It's really just another way to give information to players.

"The blacksmith seems distracted and keeps glancing behind him."

"I'll negotiate prices to distract to him while the halfling peeks behind the door." "He notices a man in dark robes back there, softly chanting over a dead body."

Or...

"I'll stand in the corner for a moment and try to slyly cast detect magic, then turn around." "You see strands of necromantic magic being pulled behind the door."

Doresh
Jan 7, 2015
Detect Magic is the Tricorder of D&D.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

Draxion posted:

That's what it was. And it's more a problem for the DM thread. Players who want "always on" powers aren't actively engaging or asking questions about the environment. They're asking the DM to point out the three magical things in the room so they don't have to gently caress with book cases and nonmagical suits of armor. Or to never get ambushed because you saw the mage coming without having to declare you were scouting or whatever.

I don't like a lot of what 5e does, but players trying to nap mode the game with passive abilities isn't a system issue.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Here's a photograph using Detect Magic on an average street in Faerun:

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Razorwired posted:

That's what it was. And it's more a problem for the DM thread. Players who want "always on" powers aren't actively engaging or asking questions about the environment. They're asking the DM to point out the three magical things in the room so they don't have to gently caress with book cases and nonmagical suits of armor. Or to never get ambushed because you saw the mage coming without having to declare you were scouting or whatever.

I don't like a lot of what 5e does, but players trying to nap mode the game with passive abilities isn't a system issue.

At least in the second case I'd imagine it'd be like passive perception. You can see Jim the Hobbit With A Big loving Knife if you actively focus, but not just on a whim because he's squatting in a bush. Jim the Hobbit With A Big loving Magic Knife is the same way. Maybe there you can get advantage, due to the magical aura making it a bit more obvious than a normal knife would be, but you still need to properly notice it through the bush first.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

lifg posted:

Detect magic doesn't really break anything. It's really just another way to give information to players.

"The blacksmith seems distracted and keeps glancing behind him."

"I'll negotiate prices to distract to him while the halfling peeks behind the door." "He notices a man in dark robes back there, softly chanting over a dead body."

Or...

"I'll stand in the corner for a moment and try to slyly cast detect magic, then turn around." "You see strands of necromantic magic being pulled behind the door."

Hmm, better roll Deception for distracting him, Stealth to get to the door without being noticed, and Perception to see inside.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

mango sentinel posted:

Here's a photograph using Detect Magic on an average street in Faerun:

Gotta roleplay your warlock with *wizard eyes* as tripping balls constantly

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Skellybones posted:

Hmm, better roll Deception for distracting him, Stealth to get to the door without being noticed, and Perception to see inside.

Nah, Lockpicking to get the door open. Then another stealth roll to open the door without the cultist or blacksmith noticing. Then you can do Perception to notice the cultist and body. Then another Stealth check to return to the party without getting caught.

[Clarification: A PC will have no idea it's even a magic ritual unless they succeed at an Arcana check after a successful Perception check - realistically, there could be lots of explanations for the scenario].

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Dec 19, 2016

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Autism Sneaks posted:

Gotta roleplay your warlock with *wizard eyes* as tripping balls constantly

You can play Mage the Awakening this way if you want since you can turn on Mage Sight whenever you feel like it, although doing so in public while trying to go about your daily business is considered a bad idea because bystanders will wonder wtf you're trying to do when you're stepping lightly on the light tiles and normally on the black tiles in the street because your sense of their metaphysical density is making you try to subconsciously even them out as you move.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

bewilderment posted:

You can play Mage the Awakening this way if you want since you can turn on Mage Sight whenever you feel like it, although doing so in public while trying to go about your daily business is considered a bad idea because bystanders will wonder wtf you're trying to do when you're stepping lightly on the light tiles and normally on the black tiles in the street because your sense of their metaphysical density is making you try to subconsciously even them out as you move.

Well, I do this sort of thing anyway, so I might as well.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
When cooking a meal for your adventuring company over a long rest with the Gourmand feat, can you "over replenish" missing hit dice, or does it do the simpler thing and just restore extra dice if you are missing any after the rest?

The exact text from the UA reads

quote:

During a long rest, you can prepare and serve a meal that helps you and your allies recover from the rigors of adventuring, provided you have suitable food, cook’s utensils, and other supplies on hand. The meal serves up to six people, and each person who eats it regains two additional Hit Dice at the end of the long rest.

Although it seems to me as though this means you simply gain an additional two dice if you are still missing any, I can also see it adding a few hit dice to your pool because the food was very good. Of course, if that's the case there would need to be a cap on those "bonus hit dice" at just those two from Gourmand.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Long Rests restores up to half your Hit Dice, so that would just give up to half your max + 2, I think.

"Page 186 of PHB posted:

"The character also regains spent Hit Dice, up to a number of dice equal to half of the character’s total number of them. For example, if a character has eight Hit Dice, he or she can regain four spent Hit Dice upon finishing a long rest."

gently caress, I never realised long rests don't get you back up to 100%. HAHAHAHAHAH

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
So say you're 2nd level and are at 1 out of your 2 hit dice. You take a Long Rest, you're back at 2 hit dice.

Gourmand bro cooked for you as well -- you're still just at 2 hit dice, or are you at 4 hit dice because your meal was so good? I guess what I'm curious about is that "over healing" of hit dice, since the wording on the UA feat is ambiguous. I doesn't say "you regain an additional 2 hit dice, up to your hit dice maximum", so it makes me wonder. If you can't stockpile those additional 2 above your max, Gourmand's feat really doesn't shine unless you are consistently blowing most or all of your HD on short rests. Which I suppose you can afford to do if you have a nice cook in your party.

Knowing the PHB or the DMG I'm sure there's a sentence squirreled away somewhere that says "you can never have over your HD maximum" that I missed.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
It sounds to me like you would go above your max, and presumably if you did it every long rest without spending any you could have an absurd amount of extra hit dice.

Edit: I think Alphadog has it right.

Cassa fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Dec 19, 2016

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

PHB page 168 posted:

The character also regains spent Hit Dice, up to a number of dice equal to half of the character’s total number of them. For example, if a character has eight Hit Dice, he or she can regain four spent Hit Dice upon finishing a long rest.

quote:

During a long rest, you can prepare and serve a meal that helps you and your allies recover from the rigors of adventuring, provided you have suitable food, cook’s utensils, and other supplies on hand. The meal serves up to six people, and each person who eats it regains two additional Hit Dice at the end of the long rest.

"Regains".

It's not ambiguous. You can't regain something you didn't lose/spend/etc.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Dec 19, 2016

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Every video gaming instinct is telling me that you only go up to your max, and that this is just another example of lazy, badly edited writing leaving the floor open to bad interpretations of rules.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

I'm 100% onboard with being picky about ambiguous or poorly worded rules, but how is this particular rule actually unclear in any way, assuming we're going with the standard English definition of "regains"?

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.

Doresh posted:

Or have him be blinded if he happens to look at a high-level character decked out in magic equipment.

Something like this but not quite was actually a possible effect of using detect evil (but not detect magic) in 3.5. If you used detect evil on a creature whose evil aura was classed as overwhelming (such as an evil outsider of 11+ hit dice or an undead creature of 21+ hit dice) and its number of hit dice was at least double your character level and your character was of good alignment... then you'd get stunned for 1 round.

This was highly situational of course: characters were generally not expected to be hanging around with undead and outsiders with double their level in hit dice at the levels when their auras reached overwhelming levels, and you wouldn't expect the characters to be hanging around evil artifacts and other evil poo poo of overwhelming power at the time when it might actually actually affect them.

You could extrapolate something for detect magic along similar lines (i.e. too many or too powerful magical auras relative to the character's level might overwhelm them) and in a certain type of game that could actually be pretty cool (for an example, if you take the Warhammer Fantasy route of all magic being tied to chaos/whatever big bad evil power exists in your setting). Wizards in the Warhammer fantasy world, to my knowledge, pretty much have a special sense for detecting magic all the time, but most of the time they don't specifically focus on it and just let all that magical poo poo fade into the background so as not to have their senses overwhelmed.

Having said that, as a means of dealing with a player spending character-building resources in order to be able to detect magic all day every day when they spend concentration on it, it's kind of lovely. I don't know if it's actually addressed in 5e, but previous editions had it pretty clear what detect magic could actually detect: it very clearly is not a magic-user radar, it only detects ongoing magical effects (like those from spells) and magical items, and with a bit of focus lets you determine the school of the spells and effects in place.

Personally, if it was me with the character playing a magic-user with the ability to detect magic at will, I'd take it as an opportunity to add a bit of color to the setting. How do magical auras appear to the character casting detect magic? What do auras from different schools look like? How does the difference between just knowing that there's a magical aura around and then focusing on a specific aura to pinpoint it feel like to the spellcaster? Don't even necessarily limit it to visual stimuli: magic might evoke different types of sensory stimuli depending on the exact effect in place. What does the actual process of detecting magic look like to the onlooker?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karatela
Sep 11, 2001

Clickzorz!!!

Grimey Drawer

Ratpick posted:

Something like this but not quite was actually a possible effect of using detect evil (but not detect magic) in 3.5. If you used detect evil on a creature whose evil aura was classed as overwhelming (such as an evil outsider of 11+ hit dice or an undead creature of 21+ hit dice) and its number of hit dice was at least double your character level and your character was of good alignment... then you'd get stunned for 1 round.

This was highly situational of course: characters were generally not expected to be hanging around with undead and outsiders with double their level in hit dice at the levels when their auras reached overwhelming levels, and you wouldn't expect the characters to be hanging around evil artifacts and other evil poo poo of overwhelming power at the time when it might actually actually affect them.

Well, to be fair, highlevel and epic monsters, due to how 3.5 statted stuff out, often end up piling in hit dice to give them their oomph, so you could easily get turbozombies with 80 HD for level 25 characters, or an outsider with 40 or 50. It's also basically rocket tag with true resurrections all over the place there by that point with it only getting worse, so its a goddamn mess no matter what anyway.