Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

Servaetes posted:

I mean I get what you're saying but I think because they wanted to tell these big epic stories about these dudes that more or less are condensed into a single sentence in the scrolling marque and it falls super hard on it's face. Like I said when I just got out of the theater the most interesting characters were the bit characters in Sassy Robot and Blind Monk. The girl got over the fact the rebels carpet bombed her dad to death at breakneck speed and giving super cliche speeches about hope.

It was a bad speech, that's why it was just some Mon Calamari dudes and a few others already committed to fighting back rallying around her. She finally had cause to not resent her Dad, and his dying wish was that she carry out this mission. It would make more sense to try and get the Rebels to steal the plans because that way her Dad didn't die for nothing.

quote:

Honestly the more interesting points were how they all bit it than what exactly they did before getting to that moment. I dunno how else to really explain it. Like Whitaker's character seemed interesting but he's like "No, don't take me to the Rebels! I have to uh, die here because.... uh, the plot demands it? You can't drag me around because my pots and pans robot rear end is too heavy? I forgot how to walk?"

Nothing about Saw Gurrera, as presented, suggested he could move quickly or be easy to carry. Plus his life's work of atrocities literally just exploded right in front of him. It seems reasonable that he just said gently caress it.

quote:

Really I felt most engaged with the whole suicide mission and the Empire busting out some of the big robots and of course Vader himself

Same, it was spectacular, I just liked most of the other stuff, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
"She's supposed to be boring and stupid!"

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

ShineDog posted:

They made me think a whole lot of Half Life 2 Combine Grunts

Combine grunts aren't fully human either. You can see some on operating tables having their vocal cords ripped out and getting cybernetic implants.

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

Magic Hate Ball posted:

"She's supposed to be boring and stupid!"

She's neither, but there's nothing to suggest that she's an accomplished orator. She is pretty good at fighting people, based on her history with Saw.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Filthy Casual posted:

She's neither, but there's nothing to suggest that she's an accomplished orator. She is pretty good at fighting people, based on her history with Saw.

I mean, I took it more as "she's giving a rousing speech, but they're too limp/pathetic/afraid to take action", and the "rousing speech" just happened to be badly written.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Bioshuffle posted:

I personally felt that the blind monk was easily the worst part of the movie. He was obviously put there to appeal to kids and sell figurines. They went for the more realistic gritty angle, with people getting shot and blown up. Suddenly you have this literally blind monk slowly walking towards the switch and every single storm trooper misses him. How? There was literally no explanation given for this anomaly.

lmfao are you serious my dude?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

If I actually cared about any of the new characters in this movie, it would probably be close to A New Hope and Empire as my favorite. It has pretty much the opposite problems I had with Force Awakens. A shame since it has an amazing cast. The final 3rd is amazing though.

It was really good at making the Death Star seem loving terrifying and it was surreal in the best way to have new Darth Vader scenes that didn't make my eyes roll.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

SeANMcBAY posted:

It was really good at making the Death Star seem loving terrifying.

That was the best part. The, like, "atmospheric photography" in this movie is phenomenal. I loved how often there were huge things in the sky.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Between this and Arrival, Whitaker has been doing some weird-rear end accents lately.

Kaincypher
Apr 24, 2008

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Between this and Arrival, Whitaker has been doing some weird-rear end accents lately.

maybe it was the re-shoots, but his character and scenes could easily have been removed and taken nothing away from the film. Have the defector show up right at Yavin base and use the 30 minutes for literally anything else. I would have accepted the full 30 minutes just being used for Darth Vader telling more dad jokes.

Speaking of which, I guess some people liked it, or at least felt it was keeping with Vader's history of one-liners, but for me it fell flat. I was with some friends at the theater and we looked at each other right after and mouthed "what the gently caress?" That was some prequels level failure right there. It immediately made me think of Austin Powers puns, "well, I guess he'll never be the head of a major corporation." Although Vader's ending seen was redeeming. BTW, have we ever seen Vader (not Anakin) go toe-to-toe with regular mooks before?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Filthy Casual posted:

Jyn was a pretty generic lead. There was nothing interesting about her. If she had been some radical insurgent fighting with Saw's extremist rebel cell, that would have been cool to see develop and change over the course of the film.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Listen to this and think about what sort of character you expected and what you got.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcLzu3TTC2Y

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Kaincypher posted:

maybe it was the re-shoots, but his character and scenes could easily have been removed and taken nothing away from the film. Have the defector show up right at Yavin base and use the 30 minutes for literally anything else. I would have accepted the full 30 minutes just being used for Darth Vader telling more dad jokes.

Speaking of which, I guess some people liked it, or at least felt it was keeping with Vader's history of one-liners, but for me it fell flat. I was with some friends at the theater and we looked at each other right after and mouthed "what the gently caress?" That was some prequels level failure right there. It immediately made me think of Austin Powers puns, "well, I guess he'll never be the head of a major corporation." Although Vader's ending seen was redeeming. BTW, have we ever seen Vader (not Anakin) go toe-to-toe with regular mooks before?

Yeah, agreed about Vader. I hate to say stuff like this but I saw it with my wife who is take-it-or-leave-it about Star Wars and she gave me a look like "what the gently caress even is this movie" about a dozen times throughout the movie, but reacted most viscerally to that line

It was deeply bad

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

big money big clit posted:

The characters don't need to give expository dialogue explaining who they are (though they actually do this too), but they're basically just empty vessels in this. They're all just an archetype stamped on a cipher.

But enough about A New Hope.

Most of the depth for the original characters comes from developments in ESB or simply extra screen time in ROTJ. In ANH they aren't much more than we get in this single movie.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

AdmiralViscen posted:

Most of the depth for the original characters comes from developments in ESB or simply extra screen time in ROTJ. In ANH they aren't much more than we get in this single movie.

Luke staring off into the twin suns doesn't develop the character for you? I mean be honest. You truly don't think ANH organically develops its characters?

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Jyn hiding in a hole in the ground fearfully staring up at the porthole doesn't do the same?

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

AdmiralViscen posted:

Jyn hiding in a hole in the ground fearfully staring up at the porthole doesn't do the same?

No. You don't have to argue for the sake of it, there's no one awarding points or anything so you don't have to "defend" R1 against ANH for whatever reason. I mean if you really think those scenes are equivalent than like you do you man

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

cargohills posted:

He's a monk. He chants. It's not really a great mystery.
This is literally the first time anyone chants in the Star Wars universe. This is a pretty big introduction. Can you name one major character who repeats a mantra over and over again? Go ahead. I'll wait. You won't be able to.

Teal posted:

Most IRL mysticism recognises prayers and chanting as just an easy to remember way of introducing the mind (and/or soul) into the right state rather than something like a radio call for a divine airstrike.
The chanting could have been his way of inducing a trance and accessing the meager control he had over the force. There wasn't even any direct implication any of the stormtroopers ever fired at him in particular. There was lot of crossfire. Maybe his control of the force allowed him to "just get lucky".
Guy sniffed the unobtainium shard out in a crowd, could tell tell a sneaky guy was about to do sneaky poo poo, and, you know, probably had some sort of extrasensory capability since he mostly had a better idea about what's going on while being the blind guy.
It's always been ambiguous how exactly the force works and when somebody let Lucas get a bit more explicit and specific about it, Lucas gave us the midichlorian Antichrist.
The harder you burden MYSTICAL SECRET MAGIC with dungeons and dragons rules the more cringeworthy bullshit you end up with.
That's a fair point. Like I said, if this doesn't bother you- more power to you. This is still a well made movie. It just stood out to me as being out of place is all. We don't have to reach a consensus. I'm allowed to have my opinions.

Codependent Poster posted:

They point out that when he says that chant he's praying.

So he says that chant on the way to the lever because he's praying. This doesn't take a loving genius to figure out if you watch the movie and understand that people pray in dire situations.
They don't do this in the Star Wars universe. And the personal attack is really uncalled for.

Milky Moor posted:

lmfao are you serious my dude?
Consider this. Jedi are some of the BEST users of the force in the entire world. Yet- when storm troopers shoot at them, they have to take ACTIVE action (ie using a light saber to deflect the shots) to avoid them. They can't use the force to get all the storm troopers to miss. This has been established. This is canon. Suddenly, you have some blind monk who is able to mysteriously make all the storm troopers miss him just with sheer will or use of the force? It does not add up. At all.

If you're willing to overlook this plot hole, more power to you. But this is absolutely a plot hole and weak writing at play. This matter is not up for debate.

I still feel I got my money's worth. As I've said repeatedly this was still an entertaining popcorn flick. But when I see weak writing, I'm going to point it out. I'm sorry I'm poking holes in your precious movie, but stop trying to tell me my opinion is wrong. You're simply wasting your time.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Waffles Inc. posted:

No. You don't have to argue for the sake of it, there's no one awarding points or anything so you don't have to "defend" R1 against ANH for whatever reason. I mean if you really think those scenes are equivalent than like you do you man

Uh ok dude

ANH is a throwback to campy movie serials. I don't think my statement that it's full of broad archetypes is that radical but sorry if it ruffled your feathers.

People in this thread can't even figure out why literal cripple Saw didn't run out of his base and instead stared at his oncoming death, so I'm not sure we can expect them to make a thoughtful interpretation of Luke staring at the suns, for what it's worth.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Bioshuffle posted:

We don't have to reach a consensus. I'm allowed to have my opinions.

quote:

If you're willing to overlook this plot hole, more power to you. But this is absolutely a plot hole and weak writing at play. This matter is not up for debate.
:allears:

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
If there's one constant here it's people severely overestimating the overall quality of the oldest Star Wars films

Bioshuffle posted:

Consider this. Jedi are some of the BEST users of the force in the entire world. Yet- when storm troopers shoot at them, they have to take ACTIVE action (ie using a light saber to deflect the shots) to avoid them. They can't use the force to get all the storm troopers to miss. This has been established. This is canon. Suddenly, you have some blind monk who is able to mysteriously make all the storm troopers miss him just with sheer will or use of the force? It does not add up. At all.

TACTICAL REALISM

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

AdmiralViscen posted:

I don't actually care about a New Hope and haven't seen it in like twenty years, so maybe? I'm talking about this movie that was just released.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Bioshuffle posted:

Suddenly, you have some blind monk who is able to mysteriously make all the storm troopers miss him just with sheer will or use of the force? It does not add up. At all.
I think it's because there is more to 'the force' and the star wars universe than we know!

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

People itt are so desperate to defend R1 that suddenly ANH is bad and doesn't develop its characters :psyduck:

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
It's actually a really fun thought experiment to consider what we would think of A New Hope today if Empire hadn't come along

Kaincypher
Apr 24, 2008

Cardboard Box A posted:

If there's one constant here it's people severely overestimating the overall quality of the oldest Star Wars films

TACTICAL REALISM

exactly. What the movie doesn't show us is that there are millions of tiny midichlorians in the air all disrupting the blaster shots. Or... the force does or is whatever the writers want it to be at any given moment. Wookiepedia be damned.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Cardboard Box A posted:

It's actually a really fun thought experiment to consider what we would think of A New Hope today if Empire hadn't come along

I guess? It's a legitimate great film and would be an all time classic even without sequels

Mezzanine
Aug 23, 2009
It was maybe twenty years ago or something, but I think I remember one of the traits of Jedi or "Force-sensitive" PCs in the Star Wars pen-and-paper RPG was that they could basically use the Force to get a "natural 20" on one action per session or story or whatever. I like to think of the Force like that. It doesn't matter how or why it works, they just focus real hard and somehow pull of something they, in all rights, shouldn't be able to do.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Waffles Inc. posted:

People itt are so desperate to defend R1 that suddenly ANH is bad and doesn't develop its characters :psyduck:

I'm actually saying the exact opposite of that

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

teagone posted:

Jyn was a pretty generic lead. There was nothing interesting about her. If she had been some radical insurgent fighting with Saw's extremist rebel cell, that would have been cool to see develop and change over the course of the film.

I would've preferred they went with that angle too, but average is not bad. Its average.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
Cirrus entire force shtick was trusting he would be where the force wanted him to be. He's the dirk gently of dodging. He's not making them miss, he's not dodging, he's just where the blasts aren't.

It's a different use of the force. It's a loving cool one.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year

Baron Porkface posted:

Listen to this and think about what sort of character you expected and what you got.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcLzu3TTC2Y

Krennic is a total limp noodle and sucks

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

very cool to have a star war movie that takes a pro Iraqi insurgent viewpoint imo

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Bioshuffle posted:

This is literally the first time anyone chants in the Star Wars universe. This is a pretty big introduction. Can you name one major character who repeats a mantra over and over again? Go ahead. I'll wait. You won't be able to.

That's a fair point. Like I said, if this doesn't bother you- more power to you. This is still a well made movie. It just stood out to me as being out of place is all. We don't have to reach a consensus. I'm allowed to have my opinions.

They don't do this in the Star Wars universe. And the personal attack is really uncalled for.

I still feel I got my money's worth. As I've said repeatedly this was still an entertaining popcorn flick. But when I see weak writing, I'm going to point it out. I'm sorry I'm poking holes in your precious movie, but stop trying to tell me my opinion is wrong. You're simply wasting your time.

Quoting this so you can't edit it later. Shameful.

Jedi don't exist, friend. Canon is bullshit that you must free yourself from to enjoy the Star Wars.

Bioshuffle is the CinemaSins guy. "Blind guy just walks through blaster fire" *funny ding noise*

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Zikan posted:

very cool to have a star war movie that takes a pro Iraqi insurgent viewpoint imo

Takes an evil empire to know one.

Still don't know why pilot guy shot that rebel with the grenade.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Remulak posted:

Still don't know why pilot guy shot that rebel with the grenade.
Was Jyn hiding next to the tank at that point? I can't remember the exact order of events.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Was Jyn hiding next to the tank at that point? I can't remember the exact order of events.

Yeah. The guy was going to grenade the tank which Jyn was hiding under/next to.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

AdmiralViscen posted:

Did Jyn's motivations really change at all from the start of the film when she's at the labor camp to up until she's on the beach about to die? I couldn't tell because she's terribly undeveloped. What was she doing before she was imprisoned by the empire? We're introduced to her under really vague circumstances and we can't really get a read on her personality or what she's striving to be or achieve. The only part of her character that eventually breathes for the audience to take in is her daddy issues, but that gets resolved in cliche fashion. Other than that, she's a fairly generic heroine archetype without any unique or defining characteristics.

Cassian is a weird character. He's kind of like Han I guess? He does shady poo poo, but the difference between he and Solo is he does such things because he believes in the rebellion; he kills informants and assassinates potentially innocent targets for the greater good or whatever. That's his character throughout the movie... that's it. Nothing gets built from that from the moment we're introduced to him, to the moment he's also on the beach. Maybe he starts to care about Jyn? But why? He doesn't care about her as a person right? It felt like he just cares because she has vital information that would benefit the rebellion.

You can't debate that the arcs of Jyn or Cassian are comparable to the development of Luke as a farm boy to Death Star infiltrator and Han as selfish rogue to trusted ally. There's really no comparison there.

[edit] I should mention I did like this movie. I just felt the main characters were really weak.

teagone fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Dec 19, 2016

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

teagone posted:

Maybe he starts to care about Jyn? But why? He doesn't care about her as a person right? It felt like he just cares because she has vital information that would benefit the rebellion.

They're about to die and its Felicity Jones, if she's down, I'd at least try to get a quickie in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

I guess I don't view "farmboy goes to war" and "rogue with a heart of gold" as any less archetypical.

Han goes from packing money and bailing to returning to help with no explanation. It's ok because it's a fun action serial that wasn't picked to pieces, and the characters grew in later installments (obviously won't happen this time).

Jyn actually has on-screen motivation (cliche or not - again, it's an action serial) to go from not giving a poo poo to giving a poo poo about the task at hand, and Cassian doesn't seem like the type to shoot an acquaintance in the back by the end of the movie like he is at the start.

• Locked thread