Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Soonmot posted:

That is specifically what motivated us after we were told about them.

I love you and your group.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Also, I miss Hubig's Pies. :( They were often at the checkout line of local grocery stores, next to the single servings of candy, breath mints, and tabloid newspapers. That lemon pie was my favorite.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Spector29 posted:

My question for you all, then, is Why do I feel like I'm a lovely Storyteller?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impostor_syndrome

unzealous
Mar 24, 2009

Die, Die, DIE!

Spector29 posted:

Is there a structure that veteran STs have that allows them to run games off-the-cuff smoothly?

Honestly when I'm running with a concrete plan in my head I just pay special attention to the players and what they're doing because they'll usually do something they feel will have an effect. Then all you have to do is play off of that. I was running a hunter game and one of them decided to stake out the suspects house. I hadn't planned for that but it's easy enough to add something of interest to move the plot along (in this case an arsonist). Maybe the front door is ajar, maybe there's someone standing around looking out of place. If they enter a club and look for someone suspicious, sure, there's a suspicious person in there.

There's an anecdote about this called The Streetlight Effect. The big difference is that you have control over what is or isn't in the light. If they're looking for something, they'll find something. It may not be what they're looking for but it will give them a clue as to what to do next.

The only other big piece of advice is using 'No, But' to help with pacing. As long as you're remembering that it helps the game moving at an enjoyable and engaging pace. Did they manage to catch the robber? No, but they did get the vehicle model and the plates. Did they reach the hidden crypt in time? No, but they do find tracks leading to their rivals base camp. Is this the house with the cultists? No, but they find evidence which points to one of the remaining options being their new hideout.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

It is also worth remembering that in Mage, at least, the best adversaries are either Mages themselves or magical anomalies. Spells that do things like reveal answers become opposed by the villain; using Postcognition to see into the past becomes at the very least more difficult when your hypothetical Voldermort uses his own Time or Fate powers to occlude the past or even trap it.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Kibner posted:

Please tell me you are bringing back the Hubig pie company. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hubig%27s_Pies

I can't believe I learned about this tragedy in this thread of all places. Those pies were a staple of my childhood.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Spector29 posted:

But I'm constantly nervous that if I don't have have two or three backup Mysteries for the Mages to find if they get bored, the game will just stall out. Is there a structure that veteran STs have that allows them to run games off-the-cuff smoothly?

lovely GMs don't ever ask the question or think about it, so you're doing fine.

I like to peruse the local newspaper for the city we're playing in and pick out a story or two that can be turned into a mystery, usually something in the field that the character comes from in the mundane world. Sometimes I'll let them start to snowball off screen if the players decide to spend time worrying about something else. No, most of the time I'll do that. It's the consequence of making choices. Really easy to shape the world this way in little tiny believable ways that have a tendency to make it feel like the decisions the players make are actually affecting the world through action and inaction.

I feel like I'm doing my job well if they never feel like they can stop all the bad things from happening and still fulfill personal obsessions and aspirations at the same time.

Mendrian posted:

It is also worth remembering that in Mage, at least, the best adversaries are either Mages themselves or magical anomalies. Spells that do things like reveal answers become opposed by the villain; using Postcognition to see into the past becomes at the very least more difficult when your hypothetical Voldermort uses his own Time or Fate powers to occlude the past or even trap it.

Seconding this entirely. The best villains are the ones that come from a place you can relate with too.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

Spector29 posted:

First post ever, oh boy.

So, I've been GMing for a couple years, but only in the last four months really got into STing. I started with VtM, but that went nowhere fast on account of half of my players being...less than ideal, we'll say. Lesson learned, I've been with my current gaming group since then.

My question for you all, then, is Why do I feel like I'm a lovely Storyteller? (For reasons other than that I am)

My game that I have the most experience running is Savage Worlds. For those whom never ran it, it's a game that can very much work and even thrive on sitting down to a session with nothing in mind than a beginning, a couple possible endings, and just going from there and seeing what happens. Why is it that I feel terrified to do the same in M:tAw? I read the book cover-to-cover twice and have a handle on how most things work, (still struggling with Spirits, but it hasn't been an issue yet) and I've even ran five sessions that were just fine according to my players. But I'm constantly nervous that if I don't have have two or three backup Mysteries for the Mages to find if they get bored, the game will just stall out. Is there a structure that veteran STs have that allows them to run games off-the-cuff smoothly?

Any advice for Demon would also be welcome, as I'm planning on starting a game of that soon.

I'll just quote some of my older posts about two questions I find really important for Mage and Demon, respectively:

Daeren posted:

Yawgmoth posted:

Here's one thing I've noticed a lot of first time Mage STs screw up: Your players will be able to uncover a staggering amount of information just from mage sight and other 1-2 dot spells. It's okay. Let them find that stuff out. You don't need to have an entire session based around information gathering because that's what magic is for. Make the knowledge the scary thing, at least in part. One of the big themes is "knowing what man was never meant to know", play that up.

This is really, really important to note. Mages almost always get all the information they need to figure out what's going on in a mysterious situation, the issue is what they do with what they learn. You know the signature of whatever mage made this dude's skeleton rip itself out of him and permanently traumatize his roommate, now go find the guy who actually makes that signature. Or, maybe they recognize it as the signature of one of mages who's really high up in the political ranks - what do they do with that? Go confront him and hope they get an explanation, and not skeleton'd themselves? Do they go to a rival with it who might have more leverage, or is that what the rival wants because they're setting the guy up with fake resonance? Save it for blackmail? Tweak the signature themselves to screw someone else over?

In fact, if mages come up with nothing, it's a screaming red flag to them that Something Fucky's Going On. A mage who comes up with jackshit in an investigation is a mage who's almost certainly on the trail of another mage who wants to hide a secret, or some horrific information-devouring mind-being, or similarly weird poo poo.

Or, yknow, is chasing phantoms and there's really nothing out of the ordinary going on, with only their deranged obsession that they have to be right, damnit propelling them forward. That works too.

Daeren posted:

Vitamin P posted:

I don't have my copy of the book to hand so thought I'd ask, and obviously this would vary based on the game, but how omniscient is the God Machine? And how does it actually get its information?

Like, it needs three senile widowers with type O blood to die on a certain bridge on a certain night, how does it find them? Do cats tell it? Does it listen to phone calls? Psychic angels constantly gliding over cities remembering everything they hear? Does it just Know? If it just Knows then it seems like any mortal learning about it would be pretty hosed.

And it obviously makes the effort to act in secret, but does that mean humanity could kill it if they knew? Or would they just be an immense inconvenience, and the plans flow smoother if they are in the dark? I realise there's no set answer to this stuff but am interested in peoples take on it.

It's not omniscient, it merely has the most terrifyingly comprehensive intelligence-gathering system that could ever exist. It sets up Infrastructure for a number of reasons, but one of the biggest is to get what it needs to where it needs it. You knock out the right bits of Infrastructure, and if it's not flying blind in an area, it might at least be flying without hands.

Though, even without Infrastructure, angels are constantly gathering intelligence in the field, and cultists can report if sufficiently informed on what's needed. Hell, all it might have to do is tell the cultists "Go find me three senile widowers with type O blood" and let them go handle it. It's not the most efficient or guaranteed method of doing it, but it might not have the resources required to do it the right way.

That's an important thing to remember - the God-Machine is not omnipotent. It is working off a set of resources and opportunities, and in any given area, it might end up being stretched too thin to do everything it wants at 100% efficiency. This is especially possible if a plucky ring of demons starts smashing important things with sledgehammers, requiring it to divert resources from neighboring sectors to send some hunter-killer angels in, which weaken those sectors, which give those demons opportunities, and so on. It's a gargantuan mechanistic process with staggering amounts of redundancies to cover for moments like this, but it's quite possible that a sneak attack at something particularly vulnerable can send an entire region's timetable off a cliff.

This is part of why the God-Machine likes to stay hidden, in my book. A statistically insignificant chunk of humanity screwing with its plans is an annoyance. Seven billion people smashing anything that the people who can see the gears point at is a considerably larger problem, and while it could be solved with temporal manipulation or just sending in the archangels, that, again, costs a shitload of resources. Far, far simpler to just stay quiet and keep its manipulations so secret and bizarre nobody can really stop it. That, and it's mentioned a few times as being more or less completely okay with the status quo, to the point where it cleans up other supernatural messes on occasion.

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

very late to this but holy crap Dr. Strange is basically Mage: The Movie.

glad I have a major thing to point my friends to watch when they ask me what exactly is Mage if I ever run it.

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

because our character has the 'poet' trait, this update shall be told in the format of a rap battle.
As far as the limitation on Time went, I always kind of thought that was meant to be the Fate arcanum.

Fate is a natural thing in the world. People have destinies, and to a degree those destinies might be written by the Exarchs as control mechanisms, who knows. So if you go back in time and mind control a ranking Seer into being your lifelong ally... well, his Fate is still to oppose, betray and ultimately destroy you. He's gonna still do that, although for different reasons, or thinking because he's helping you or something. If you go back in time and kill your rival's granddad, A) premediated murder is a sin against Understanding wisdom, and B) there is still a role in Fate for someone who hates you and tries to murder you, but now since it's no longer your rival in the Consilium, who is it?

I like this solution because it takes advantage of the Subtle/Gross arcana divide in the Acanthus path and provides power and consequences to both halves of the equation. Time is a brute force blunt instrument that can change facts straight up. Fate may have to think really hard on how to execute its now radically altered plan but it can usually come up with something.

What made me start thinking this way is Life Is Strange. Max uses Time to save Chloe's life. Fate says she's destined to die, so it's going to try again.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Thanqol posted:

As far as the limitation on Time went, I always kind of thought that was meant to be the Fate arcanum.

Fate is a natural thing in the world. People have destinies, and to a degree those destinies might be written by the Exarchs as control mechanisms, who knows. So if you go back in time and mind control a ranking Seer into being your lifelong ally... well, his Fate is still to oppose, betray and ultimately destroy you. He's gonna still do that, although for different reasons, or thinking because he's helping you or something. If you go back in time and kill your rival's granddad, A) premediated murder is a sin against Understanding wisdom, and B) there is still a role in Fate for someone who hates you and tries to murder you, but now since it's no longer your rival in the Consilium, who is it?

I like this solution because it takes advantage of the Subtle/Gross arcana divide in the Acanthus path and provides power and consequences to both halves of the equation. Time is a brute force blunt instrument that can change facts straight up. Fate may have to think really hard on how to execute its now radically altered plan but it can usually come up with something.

What made me start thinking this way is Life Is Strange. Max uses Time to save Chloe's life. Fate says she's destined to die, so it's going to try again.

See also: that episode of Futurama where Fry became his own grandfather.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
He did do the nasty in the past-y!

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
And that past nastification did save the future.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

JohnnyCanuck posted:

He did do the nasty in the past-y!
Getting freaky in one of these seems...

Well you know whatever turns your crank.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out
I had one of those for the first time a few weeks ago in the UP.

It needed a little ketchup.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

If that's a potato crust then we used to have those all the time at college, except they used seasoned ground beef in the middle.

And yes it was amazing with ketchup.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

Anyone have any good advice on how to spice up the World of Darkness, specifically Vampire the Masquerade, after its become old and predictable for your players? I've changed the location, but maybe there is more that can be done before we just break it up with a different tabletop.

Oberndorf
Oct 20, 2010

Mages doing mysterious and inexplicable things (see Blood Treachery and do the exact opposite of that), Noddists doing bizarre experiments with city officials, Infernalists doing the same, bring through aspects of Wraith (especially if one of the players was the cause of the Wraith's death), dead clans (especially Cappadocians, Kiasyd, and Lamia), Werewolf siege. Results of blood magic gone wrong (especially Koldunic sorcery or Lasombra Abyss mysticism gone wrong). And so on. Bring out the weirder corners, particularly where your party's Disciplines can't just wave the problem away in confrontation.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Old Doggy Bastard posted:

Anyone have any good advice on how to spice up the World of Darkness, specifically Vampire the Masquerade, after its become old and predictable for your players? I've changed the location, but maybe there is more that can be done before we just break it up with a different tabletop.
Throw an apocalypse at them

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
But not the one they expect.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Gradually bring in elements from Requiem over time until you're just playing Requiem, and thus no longer chained to Masquerade.

The Chronicles of Darkness versions of Werewolf, Mage, Changeling, Hunter, and Demon are all drastically different games from their oWoD counterparts, but the basic ideas behind Requiem aren't really that different from Masquerade. I can't really see it as anything other than "Requiem only dated and sad."

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
But you can't make long, long genealogical lines in Requiem!

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Loomer posted:

But you can't make long, long genealogical lines in Requiem!

Well, you can, but you have to make them up yourself.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
And not spend literal years chained to terrible books? Unacceptable!

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

Seriously loomer, you need to have the books taken and given some fresh (stale) air.

Axelgear
Oct 13, 2011

If I'm wrong, please don't hesitate to tell me. It happens pretty often and I will try to change my opinion if I'm presented with evidence.
Speaking of Requiem, I've been trying to get that game to not feel horribly weird to me, with modest success.

Anyone got any guidance on how to do Ordo Dracul advancement into the Mysteries?

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Look into various fraternal magical orders and rob them blind for pomp and ceremony.

Nomadic Scholar posted:

Seriously loomer, you need to have the books taken and given some fresh (stale) air.

They tried to make me go to rehab, but I said no because the rehab centres are secretly controlled by Malkavian Technocrat Autumn People.

Loomer fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Dec 19, 2016

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Axelgear posted:

Speaking of Requiem, I've been trying to get that game to not feel horribly weird to me, with modest success.

Anyone got any guidance on how to do Ordo Dracul advancement into the Mysteries?

Have a plot where two elders are fighting each other over their research and they just keep escalating until it all goes wrong and at the very end it turns out they were both wrong.

dr_ether
May 31, 2013

Latest DDR interview where we talk to the WoD: Berlin organisers

http://podcast.darker-days.org/e/darker-days-radio-episode-74/

Karatela
Sep 11, 2001

Clickzorz!!!

Grimey Drawer

Yawgmoth posted:

Well you know whatever burns your crank.

Loomer posted:

They tried to make me go to rehab, but I said no because the rehab centres are secretly controlled by Malkavian Technocrat Autumn People.

I want to correct you so badly right now, you don't even know!

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner

Loomer posted:

But not the one they expect.

I have this image of the PCs doing a high-stakes political confrontation with the prince in his office suite, only for a Mokole in Godzilla form to suddenly walk by the window.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

The vampires are in their church trying to get Wormwood done but the Fera are outside running operation full disclosure?

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Old Doggy Bastard posted:

Baali. Only, they're right, their rites are needed to hold back an actual Earthbound Demon from manifesting and loving things up forever. If your players are still using Humanity, the Baali needs to lower it as part of the ritual. The reason the Baali needs them is they're the only vamps in the city close enough to Human to still be useful. If they're on Paths, the Baali needs them to get more dots as part of the ritual. If your PCs are comfortable, make them uncomfortable, just don't confuse the PCs and the players.

Ironslave posted:

I have this image of the PCs doing a high-stakes political confrontation with the prince in his office suite, only for a Mokole in Godzilla form to suddenly walk by the window.

That or the Ratkin decide to wipe out the local vampire population. All the Nosferatu vanish, and vampire owned businesses start getting blown up. Meanwhile the mob in the streets (mobs make for really effective environmental hazards) is distressingly good at ferreting out where local licks are nesting.

Relevant Tangent fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Dec 19, 2016

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011
I belong here. I contain only inanimate objects. Nothing is amiss.

Loomer posted:

Actually, I bet you could have a fun time taking the baroque genealogies in those Masquerade books and reinterpreting them into a Requiem context, as distorted retellings of events at a remove, the same way Akhenaten's role in the history of the Mekhet isn't what they believe it is. Figure out where the Theban fits in, and what the relationship is between the Second Gods and the Aralu.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Loomer posted:

I'm going to feel sorry for you when you get this insane project done with just as Paradox pulls a CCP and kills off the OWoD line again.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Archonex posted:

I'm going to feel sorry for you when you get this insane project done with just as Paradox pulls a CCP and kills off the OWoD line again.
I'm not because then Loomer can rest, his unquiet spirit's business finally finished.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Yeah, that would actually be ideal for me. I'm already planning to end the project when V5 comes out if it isn't already done by then (I'll still finish it, but that'll be my cut off for 'no new books, someone else can take over if they really want' unless OPP/nWW start paying me to do this which is about as likely as me suddenly becoming King of Liberia) so it'd be nice for it to be complete without more books coming in the future. When I started this V20 wasn't even a Thing (that was in its old, really terrible iteration), so I never intended to walk into the hell that is them releasing new books and it was always meant to end. And to be honest, my interest in it has waned. I have more useful things to do with my time these days, so while I still enjoy it, I'm looking forward to it being over. Between coming towards the end of law school, growing responsibilities to my family, Lodges, and other fraternal orders, along with romantic relationships, my free time is dying off. If I'm going to spend chunks of it on terrible roleplaying games from the 90s and 2000s, I want it to be in the form of sitting around a table rolling dice and drinking whiskey with mates.

These final stages are taking so long in large part because of that reduced free time and having better things to spend it on. In the worst (best? Both?) case of me losing interest entirely, I'll publicly release the data and let people finish cleaning and adding to it so that it isn't wasted effort, though I still anticipate actually finishing it myself. The upside of it for other fans of course is that the lion's share is done, and it's a hell of a lot easier to update book by book (reading, what, 10 books a year these days?) than it is to read literally hundreds of thousands of pages of old content, so if anyone does take up the torch - and I kind of hope someone does - they'll have a much easier, less superspergy job ahead of them.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Loomer posted:

which is about as likely as me suddenly becoming King of Liberia

Of course not, you'd rename it Loomeria.

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009

Loomer posted:

Between coming towards the end of law school, growing responsibilities to my family, Lodges, and other fraternal orders, along with romantic relationships, my free time is dying off. If I'm going to spend chunks of it on terrible roleplaying games from the 90s and 2000s, I want it to be in the form of sitting around a table rolling dice and drinking whiskey with mates.

At first I was like "I didn't know Lodges existed in oWoof as well" before I remembered that you're an actual IRL occultist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Honestly the worst case scenario for Loomer is that they open some kind of White Wolf vault and release three hundred new books.