Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
Army good. Money give.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laminar
Dec 11, 2006

PT6A posted:

At least we could stop pouring money into Bombardier.

If only. It seems insane they have so much cash on hand and yet have the gall to ask for taxpayer money.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Count Roland posted:

Holy poo poo. My monthly pass is 82, even that feels high.

Come now, you can't be that sheltered as to live in Montreal and not realise we have it way better off than practically any other public transit system in the world? And it's been up to $83 now, by the way.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Laminar posted:

If only. It seems insane they have so much cash on hand and yet have the gall to ask for taxpayer money.

I think I read an article that was basically them begging for more government money to develop an airplane of some sort, but they weren't sure whether to make a commercial jet or a business jet, but they were pretty sure they'd need money in any event.

I say I think I read it, because I think I may have dreamed it instead, since surely no business would be so utterly stupid as to release a statement like that.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

PT6A posted:

I think I read an article that was basically them begging for more government money to develop an airplane of some sort, but they weren't sure whether to make a commercial jet or a business jet, but they were pretty sure they'd need money in any event.

I say I think I read it, because I think I may have dreamed it instead, since surely no business would be so utterly stupid as to release a statement like that.

Nope I saw that article. It was like "we're profitable and we'll be really good in a few years anyway but we really want some money now"

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Arivia posted:

Nope I saw that article. It was like "we're profitable and we'll be really good in a few years anyway but we really want some money now"

My favourite part was, "we think we should build a new plane, but we don't know what sort of plane, could we please have some money now?" We've given them so much money at this point that they're just getting lazy with their begging. Like, at least pretend the Canadian taxpayer doesn't exist solely to provide you neverending money and at least come up with an actual pitch before you whine for more money.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
Canada's second most popular premier

quote:

Manitoba Premier Brian Pallister plans to spend six to eight weeks a year at his vacation home in Costa Rica during his time in office, including this holiday season, but says he will be getting work done while there.

"When I go down there, I work," Pallister said in a year-end interview with The Canadian Press at his legislature office.

"I work at things that I don't get interrupted at, and I do get some time with my family, which is great because I don't get much time with my family when I'm here."

Pallister said one reason he spent so much time in Costa Rica initially was because he was developing his property. The Costa Rica Star newspaper reported earlier this year that Pallister owns three properties that cover a combined five hectares.

He also said the 10 months a year he spends in Manitoba is more than a year's worth of work.

"I typically work a 60-hour week, so in the 10 months that I am here, I'm typically doing 15 months of work, and I'm proud of that.

"Pallister men, on their headstones, they just want 'he was a good worker.'"

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Serious question, what do politicians do when they are not sitting in session?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Risky Bisquick posted:

In my experience: drink and make poor life choices.

ColdBlooded
Jul 15, 2001

Ask me how to run a good team into the ground.
Pallister is such a shithead that I'd have hope he'd only be a one term premier, but the provincial NDP is in such disarray that I doubt they'll be able to capitalize on it.
Also :lol: at the Manitoba Liberals ever winning anything.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888

Risky Bisquick posted:

I mentioned this in the toronto thread.. the dirty secret of all politicians is they work very little. They have staff to do most of the grunt work, months without official business. No real set hours of work, no consequences for skipping votes and meetings. The world is your oyster.

Funkdreamer
Jul 15, 2005

It'll be a blast

PT6A posted:

In my experience: drink and make poor life choices.
What's his CanPol account

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...

Jan posted:

Come now, you can't be that sheltered as to live in Montreal and not realise we have it way better off than practically any other public transit system in the world? And it's been up to $83 now, by the way.

Adult passes in Calgary clock in at $99; they were going to go up to $104 this year (and they did, in January, because those were already printed) but decided to hold off on that, what with the economy being poo poo.

I'm sure it'll go up over that, this year. :smith:

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Risky Bisquick posted:

Same thing they do when they are in session, schmooze and fundraise.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
I'm not saying Pallister isn't a shithead, but coming clean saying hes spending 2 months a year in the Caribbean isn't that bad imo.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Take pallister literally and not seriously u guys

Karatela
Sep 11, 2001

Clickzorz!!!

Grimey Drawer

P.d0t posted:

Adult passes in Calgary clock in at $99; they were going to go up to $104 this year (and they did, in January, because those were already printed) but decided to hold off on that, what with the economy being poo poo.

I'm sure it'll go up over that, this year. :smith:

Edmonton passes go for $91.50, which was a recent increase. What's pushing Calgary to be more than 8% higher?

Hell, checking the Edmonton and Calgary prices, I see Calgary is freezing prices back down to where they're mostly the same as Edmonton prices... Except adult 10pack tickets, which are like 8 bucks more. Why the hell would you buy tickets when you save literally nothing over just plopping cash in; like, isn't that part of the point of offering tickets as an option?

The senior passes are hilariously cheap though! And the airport fare is double the Edmonton one.

But, the low income pass is something Edmonton lacks, and from what I could see would be good to bring over.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

Karatela posted:

Edmonton passes go for $91.50, which was a recent increase. What's pushing Calgary to be more than 8% higher?
[...]
But, the low income pass is something Edmonton lacks, and from what I could see would be good to bring over.

Not sure if the context is any different there, but the idea is that they want transit funded 55% by fares and 45% by taxes (IIRC. If anything, it might be 50/50)

That, and they're trying to build/fund an entire 3rd LRT line that basically crosses the whole city from the north-central down to the southeast. As in, shovels in the ground before 2020.

Also, you gotta be pretty broke to qualify for the low-income pass. I'm talking $10/hr @ less than full time hours, and gently caress you if you don't live on your own, because it's based on "household" income. Like, if you work as a school bus driver (I know a guy) it's seasonal/low-hours enough that you still qualify for EI, but you sure as gently caress can't afford to live on your own in this city. It also wouldn't surprise me if the EI counts as "income" for the purposes of trying to get the low-income pass. :pseudo:

I'm not sure how closely they scrutinize the paperwork for that kind of thing, but I don't know how you can get under that bar and still afford the bus pass.

The senior pass is kind of a bad joke; they've floated shitcanning that and just rolling it in with the low-income pass, but I don't know how far that ever went.

e: Calgary also loves its sprawling suburbs, rather than densification, so they keep having to add new bus routes to service new communities. Like, the bus I take into work just circles around one suburb; they have it running every 30mins during regular service and every 15 during rush hour(s) and the one driver I talked to basically said "yeah this neighborhood is overserved, in terms of man-hours." Once you get past the rush, you're lucky if the bus is ever half full, even when it's only a shuttle.
Contrast that with the north-central bus (that the new LRT would replace) which runs every 2 minutes during rush hour, and even then it'll sometimes blow past you due to just being too goddamn full.

P.d0t fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Dec 19, 2016

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

P.d0t posted:

Not sure if the context is any different there, but the idea is that they want transit funded 55% by fares and 45% by taxes (IIRC. If anything, it might be 50/50)

45% by taxes? Holy poo poo.

Oh, or does that include capital projects?

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

Subjunctive posted:

45% by taxes? Holy poo poo.

Oh, or does that include capital projects?

Capital projects tend to get funded by other/additional levels of government; to wit, the proposed LRT line is supposed to be a 3-way split. I think Harper greenlit the fed funding, and the city is revving to go, but the AB NDP is still looking at the numbers.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Man, I can't even imagine what the TTC would be like if it got 45% of its funding from taxes. Valet parking? Attendants to hold your umbrella?

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
I would hope it would mostly go to cut the absurd fare prices

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Hey look, it turns out if you do a math, Alberta's carbon tax won't impoverish us all!

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/calgary/alberta-carbon-tax-impact-climate-change-canada-1.3895133

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

RBC posted:

Now I know you're a dreamer

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

RBC posted:

Now *that's* adorable.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

PT6A posted:

Hey look, it turns out if you do a math, Alberta's carbon tax won't impoverish us all!

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/calgary/alberta-carbon-tax-impact-climate-change-canada-1.3895133

Rob Filyk
Albertans are asking a few main questions: 1) when 2/3 of Albertans will receive a rebate from the other 1/3, what incentive is there for the 2/3 to change their consumption patterns? 2) While the USA, China, India and other less environmentally responsible regimes are ignoring climate change, avoiding carbon taxes and building coal-fired power stations at the rate of 1-2+ every week, isn't it irresponsible for Alberta and Canada to further strangle our economic competiveness? 3) Where is the thoughtful, measured approach behind the policy and a gradual phase-in tied to economic performance? It's not going to go well for the NDP in 2018, but with completely disorganized and ineffective CON and Wild Rose parties the only choice for election in 2018 will be the centrist, moderate and fiscally responsible Alberta Party.« less

1 hour ago

Chicken
Apr 23, 2014

PT6A posted:

quote:

Dwayne Bartley certainly isn't sold on the carbon tax.

The retired rancher and Baptist minister lives in Airdrie, Alta., with his wife, who works in nearby Calgary. Between her commute and his diesel truck, they burn a lot of fuel and worry about the impact a carbon tax will have on their bottom line. So much so, that the couple has considered relocating to Mexico to avoid paying the new tax.

"It won't be because we want to, it will be because we have to," he said. "We will be forced out of the country."

Bartley said he and his wife have already started cutting back on steak and other luxury items to prepare for the dramatic increase they expect the new tax will have on their budget.

But the reality of the increases they face is somewhat less dramatic. The new tax will mean the couple will spend about $550 more next year on fuel to run their two vehicles and to heat their home.

Assuming a 1.5 per cent increase in grocery prices due to the carbon tax — an estimate on the high end of what some economists have projected — the Bartleys can also expect to pay about $120 more for food.

But the couple will receive $300 in carbon tax rebates from the province, which means their net cost will work out to about $330 per year, or less than $30 a month.

That's a lot less than Bartley thought he'd have to pay — and an amount he said won't actually force him to leave.

"That wouldn't change my lifestyle at all," he said. "That isn't what I understood — and I've listened to everything that's on the news."

Albertans are so goddamn stupid. PT6A get out of there, move to Montreal or Spain or something.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Also, fuel with the added carbon tax will still be considerably cheaper than fuel without the carbon tax was in relatively recent memory. Apparently these morons didn't have to move to Mexico at that point, so god knows why it's such a concern now.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

RBC posted:

Your fare system is cheap.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

quote:

Justin Trudeau’s neo-liberalism with a human face: Walkom

The Liberal prime minister promised to be a more acceptable version of Stephen Harper. In part he's succeeding.

By THOMAS WALKOMNational Affairs Columnist
Mon., Dec. 19, 2016

Justin Trudeau promised neo-liberalism with a human face. Those weren’t the words he used. But the phrase expresses the gist of the election campaign he successfully waged just over a year ago.

In that campaign, Trudeau said his Liberals would pursue most of Conservative Stephen Harper’s economic goals — including resource exploitation, pipelines and free trade. But they would do so in a way that distributed the proceeds more equitably.

In effect, he promised to be Tony Blair to Harper’s Margaret Thatcher — doing much the same as his political nemesis, but in a more acceptable manner.

He is at least partially succeeding.

The essence of neo-liberalism is globalization. Neo-liberals strive for a world in which capital, goods and even labour move effortlessly from country to country. The aim is to let the free market do its magic and maximize wealth.

Harper’s Conservative government was of this mould. But it was clumsy and ham-handed.

Its efforts to circumvent environmental regulations in order to encourage pipeline construction backfired.

Its relationship with indigenous peoples — who claim much of the land where resource exploitation can take place — was fraught.

Its attempt to lower wages by importing thousands of temporary foreign workers was so blatant it caused a popular backlash. In the end, the Conservatives received so much political heat for this that they were forced to limit the use of temporary foreign help.

By comparison, the Trudeau Liberals are smooth. Last week, they eliminated a rule that prevented temporary foreign workers from staying in Canada for more than four years.

To make the move politically palatable, the Liberal government said it would also require employers to advertise among disadvantaged groups such as indigenous people and the disabled before turning to foreigners.

But the bottom line is that the new rule allows employers to use cheap foreign labour indefinitely.

Had Harper’s Conservatives done this, they would have been vilified for taking jobs from Canadians. The reaction to the Liberal announcement, however, ranged from ho-hum to vaguely positive.

Probably nothing has been smoother than the Trudeau government’s approach to resource extraction.

Like the big resource corporations themselves, the Liberals understand that the days of the swashbuckling freebooter are over. To mine resources successfully — in advanced countries at least — corporations and governments need the acquiescence of those with enough clout to hold up projects.

In Canada, that means wooing indigenous peoples and well-organized environmental groups. Trudeau called this winning social licence. And to win social licence for oil and gas pipelines, he worked on two fronts.

One was climate change. The government established its bona fides here by negotiating a path-breaking agreement with eight out of 10 provinces (plus three territories) to impose a price on carbon.

On its own, the carbon-price agreement is not enough to let Canada meet its climate targets. But in the end, it may be enough to convince enough Canadians that the pipelines from Alberta to the Pacific coast Trudeau wants should go ahead.

Simultaneously, the government has been successfully wooing indigenous leaders — with promises of more money, a more respectful relationship and an inquiry into missing and murdered aboriginal women.

This doesn’t mean that all First Nations will support all pipelines. But it does give these pipelines a better chance of being built.

Meanwhile, the Liberal government continues apace with its overarching globalization plans. The free trade and investment deal between Canada and the European Union is closer to fruition. A similar deal with China is on the agenda, as is some kind of free-trade relationship with Japan.

Are the rewards from Trudeau-style neo-liberalism being shared more equitably? That’s a harder question to answer. The government has gone ahead with its so-called middle-class tax break for those making between $50,000 and $200,000.

But its ambitious plans to pour billions of dollars into social and physical infrastructure are barely off the ground.

As for the hallmark of neo-liberal economies — the precarious workplace of low wages and multiple jobs — the advice from Finance Minister Bill Morneau is hardly encouraging.

In effect he has said: Get used to it.

Thomas Walkom appears Monday, Wednesday and Friday.

Interestingly enough there's been almost zero media coverage of the changes to the rules governing temporary foreign workers, despite the fact that this was a topic of huge interest during the Harper years. Here's a summary of some of the proposed changes the parliamentary committee made in October, such as:

quote:

-A Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) application process that is speedier and more efficient.
-Reduced LMIA processing times for employers that demonstrate trustworthiness.
-The possibility of being allowed to modify contracts with foreign workers during the employment period if both parties consent.
-Further exemptions from the requirement to submit Transition Plans for high-skilled workers.
-Further exemptions from the LMIA process for the hiring of certain workers, such as academics.
-A change to ensure the cap on the percentage of low-wage temporary foreign workers a business can employ at a given time, be set at a minimum of 20 percent.
-More localized data analysis of unemployment figures with respect to certain low-wage positions in regions with a six percent or higher unemployment, which may result in employers that were previously excluded from hiring in these sectors becoming eligible to do so.

Here's what the Liberals were saying two years ago:

Liberal.ca posted:

LIBERALS PROPOSE REFORMS TO TEMPORARY FOREIGN WORKER PROGRAM
May 5, 2014

OTTAWA – The Temporary Foreign Worker Program is broken and Liberals are proposing immediate reforms to fix the program, said Liberal Critic for Citizenship, Immigration, and Multiculturalism, John McCallum.

“As a result of the Conservatives’ mismanagement, the Temporary Foreign Worker Program has failed to achieve its original objective of filling jobs when qualified Canadian workers cannot be found, and Liberals are calling for the program to be scaled back and re-focused on its original purpose,” said Mr. McCallum. “Between 2005 and 2012, the number of short-term foreign workers in this country more than doubled, with nearly as many temporary foreign workers being admitted in 2012 as there were permanent residents. Should this continue, temporary worker entries will outnumber permanent resident entries by 2015.”

The Liberal Party is therefore proposing immediate reforms to the program: the government must ensure real transparency and accountability in the program, which should begin with a full review of the program by the Auditor General, as well as the public disclosure of information concerning what jobs are being offered to temporary foreign workers and in what communities; it must require employers to demonstrate that every effort has been made to fill positions with Canadian workers and young Canadian workers in particular; and finally, the government should tighten the Labour Market Opinion approval process.

“The Liberal Party has repeatedly warned the Conservatives that abuses of this program have been hurting the middle class by driving down wages and displacing Canadian workers,” said Mr. McCallum. “Last year we proposed that a review of the program be conducted, but every Conservative MP voted down our motion as they claimed that a review was not necessary. It is only now, following a slew of bad press, that the Conservatives have acknowledged the program’s failures.”

Apparently the Liberals thought the real failure here was that conservatives weren't doing enough to help business owners.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Helsing posted:

Apparently the Liberals thought the real failure here was that conservatives weren't doing enough to help business owners.

Big, if true.

quote:

BlackBerry Ltd. and the Canadian government are opening a research center for self-driving cars that raises the possibility of government backing for the former smartphone maker’s automotive software unit.

Chief Executive Officer John Chen and Prime Minister Justin Trudeau announced the center at QNX’s headquarters near Ottawa, Ontario, where it will be based. BlackBerry’s QNX unit has been building software to run in-car entertainment systems for years. In January of this year, the company said it was working to get automakers to use its programs to run self-driving features as well in a bid to keep its products central to the evolution of car technology.

The program doesn’t include any federal funding at this point, but it could in the future, said John Wall, head of QNX. Canadian governments already give hundreds of millions of dollars in subsidies to traditional automakers and this deal could open the door for similar arrangements focused on technology and software, Wall said.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-12-19/blackberry-opens-center-to-shore-up-self-driving-car-research

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
Just a reminder that the SR&ED tax credit subsidizes all 'research' software development to the tune of billions a year already. Subsidizing the luxury cars for Hootsuite / Opentext employees, nationwide.

ed:

https://www.benefact.ca/ontario-2016-budget-reducing-sred-rates/

Risky Bisquick fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Dec 19, 2016

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
OC Transpo's monthly fares may be the highest in Canada. An adult pass is $113.75. Cash fare for one trip is $3.40.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Chicken posted:

Albertans are so goddamn stupid. PT6A get out of there, move to Montreal or Spain or something.

I was going to quote that exact same bit.

I would happily take the train in Calgary if I didn't have to drive so far to get to a station. :v:

Hopefully next time we move I'll be in walking distance to a station. It would be nice not having to drive downtown every day for work.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

JohnnyCanuck posted:

OC Transpo's monthly fares may be the highest in Canada. An adult pass is $113.75. Cash fare for one trip is $3.40.

TTC is $141.50.

But OC Transpo does have a worse price:service ratio.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

JohnnyCanuck posted:

drat, you're beating us on the cash fare. Don't worry, we'll catch up!

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Wistful of Dollars posted:

I was going to quote that exact same bit.

I would happily take the train in Calgary if I didn't have to drive so far to get to a station. :v:

Hopefully next time we move I'll be in walking distance to a station. It would be nice not having to drive downtown every day for work.

And if you don't get there early, there's no parking. But we couldn't possibly charge for parking to balance supply and demand (and add funding, and increase demand and utilization on bus routes); the Free Market only works when it helps me indulge my whims, not if it works against them!

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

JohnnyCanuck posted:

Ottawa seems like slightly less than average for north american cities.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

JohnnyCanuck posted:

That's cheap dude :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

No more express fares but regular passes are $11 more expensive. Uhh, thanks I guess? Does it still take me an hour and a half to get to a friend's house across town?