Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Toadsniff
Apr 10, 2006

Fire Down Below: Crab Company 2
Carousing is only micro-managey when you get greedy and try to invite like 10+ people. Just stick to a few who will join and increase your chances of befriending people you actually care about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

Carousing is my favorite focus because you can get a lifestyle trait from attending someone else's party.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Torrannor posted:

Learning is pretty good. You just start to build your observatory for 50 gold, and need about 100 more gold to finish the event chain. And you can easily finish the chain in at most 5 years, getting a lot of tech points in the progress. You will upset your priests and religious head (unless you're a Zunist or Buddhist), but it's worth it. You can even chose between the scholar trait or a lesser "temporary" trait that lasts a whole life. And then you switch out of the learning focus. If you have a peaceful, stable realm. It's definitely worth it to use the learning focus just for the event chain.

Carousing can also be really helpful, to both increase your diplomacy and to make friends with your vassals. But it requires quite a bit of micromanaging, you have to be diligent to constantly invite people over to carouse. Setting your focus to war or hunting for example is much less work.

If you start the Observatory chain immediately on taking the focus, it always completes about a week before you're able to change focus again. And it's good even if you don't have a hugely stable realm as it provides a guaranteed 300 Military TPs if you want them. (Which you do, only ever take the Necronomicon branch for fun because it's much more expensive and can send you mad.)

Carousing is useful for the reasons you describe, but also because it has a significant chance of removing Stressed and Depressed each time you party. There's an event in Family that does the same but you can't trigger a chance for it to proc every six months. The main drawbacks of Carousing are that it gives you a chance of gaining Drunkard and that you can get all the benefits apart from the Diplomacy buffs by attending other people's parties. If you're fairly well liked or powerful that will happen.

Theology is more useful than people think because all that reading of the Scriptures has a very good chance of buffing your Learning. It also now provides +1 Health, making it the life extension focus of choice for people who don't want more kids wrecking their carefully planned succession, don't want to go to war or want to save their hunting dog for later.

On the other hand, Seduction is basically useless for its obvious purpose now. Actual seductions fail way too often and the modifier blocking repeat attempts by anyone means there aren't enough targets. However, it is quite useful for a young female ruler in a predominantly male court because it gives you a big opinion boost with all members of the opposite sex - more than enough to overturn the "female ruler" malus.

I also don't find Rulership to have any use. All its events have such long MTTHs that I regularly go a full five years without ever seeing one. The only exception is the one that automatically gives you Stressed, which is no good.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Deceitful Penguin posted:

And duels are incredibly random; combat skill is more of a small factor rather than the main thing

I've an immortal god-king with a duel score of six and have been winning duels pretty reliably, so this didn't ring true for me.

So I dug through the files and, after some confusion, managed to decipher the duel event. Long story short, outcome of a duel is a function of the relative duel score of the combatants, and it looks like this:

So if you have a three-point advantage over your opponent you're 75% likely to win, which is not insignificant, but maybe not as significant as it should be given how rare duel score bumps are for non-vikings?

I am hella PEEVED
Oct 25, 2007

Welcome to Earth.

Toadsniff posted:

Carousing is only micro-managey when you get greedy and try to invite like 10+ people. Just stick to a few who will join and increase your chances of befriending people you actually care about.

I usually just invite my council or a couple of faction members if people are faction happy. In general, I usually hop to Carousing if a civil war is not inevitable once a new ruler takes charge. +3 (or +5 diplomacy if I can get game master) and some friends is always good start to a new reign.

I am hella PEEVED fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Dec 18, 2016

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Autonomous Monster posted:

I've an immortal god-king with a duel score of six and have been winning duels pretty reliably, so this didn't ring true for me.

So I dug through the files and, after some confusion, managed to decipher the duel event. Long story short, outcome of a duel is a function of the relative duel score of the combatants, and it looks like this:

So if you have a three-point advantage over your opponent you're 75% likely to win, which is not insignificant, but maybe not as significant as it should be given how rare duel score bumps are for non-vikings?

There needs to be a knightly set of trait for christians that ups duel score.

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

Jedit posted:

On the other hand, Seduction is basically useless for its obvious purpose now. Actual seductions fail way too often and the modifier blocking repeat attempts by anyone means there aren't enough targets. However, it is quite useful for a young female ruler in a predominantly male court because it gives you a big opinion boost with all members of the opposite sex - more than enough to overturn the "female ruler" malus.

I dunno, I started a character with a tiny dynasty and once I'd got primogeniture sorted, I just imported all of the women who would come to my court and started seducing myself an army of legitimised bastards without too much trouble. Until my physician cut my dick off to cure my cancer anyway.

I'm tempted at some point to have a game where I create a god character, set the duelling rule to allow me to duel literally everyone and see how far I get. Be funny if I get cut down by a 6 year old somehow.

Tesla was right
Apr 3, 2009

Whats with all the robot sex avatars?
Theology focus is useful for immortal characters, because of the religious seclusion event. It gets rid of many bad traits (though getting rid of lunatic can give you possessed)

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Immortal is a mod thing, right? Seems like this game would break hard with immortal characters. Charlemagne coming back as a 400 year old adventurer with claims on all of Europe and all that...

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
It's in Reapers Due. The chain fire very infrequently and even in the best circumstances you have a ~20% chance of it going well.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

I never got it to work on any character but I understand they can die if immortal anyway through normal events like the 30 intrigue arbitrary lunatic deciding he wants you dead.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Oh man I haven't seen that one yet. What are the circumstances you need to get it to fire?

Orv
May 4, 2011
Sorry if this has been asked recently, but I know people were kind of down on CK2 DLCs for meaningless bloat for a while, how'd Conclave and Reaper's Due come out? I'm feelin' medieval murdery again.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Goofballs posted:

I never got it to work on any character but I understand they can die if immortal anyway through normal events like the 30 intrigue arbitrary lunatic deciding he wants you dead.

Yeah, immortal characters can still die on the battlefield, in duels, assassinations, and the like.

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Orv posted:

Sorry if this has been asked recently, but I know people were kind of down on CK2 DLCs for meaningless bloat for a while, how'd Conclave and Reaper's Due come out? I'm feelin' medieval murdery again.

i think the dlc criticism is more aptly applied to their other games, especially considering overall balance and content of the base games.

i ended up liking the council and laws changes of conclave, and reaper's due is solid, too.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

Chakan posted:

Yeah, immortal characters can still die on the battlefield, in duels, assassinations, and the like.

My immortal character, by the end, was a blind, one-handed, one-legged, insane werewolf eunuch with half a face. I got really sick of playing him after a while and actively tried to get him killed, but dude just kept on truckin'.

Crow Jane fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Dec 18, 2016

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Orv posted:

Conclave has been patched up to fix the shortcomings it launched with (some people still don't care for it) and Reaper's Due is mandatory.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Nut to Butt posted:

i think the dlc criticism is more aptly applied to their other games, especially considering overall balance and content of the base games.

i ended up liking the council and laws changes of conclave, and reaper's due is solid, too.
I'll take one for the team to be the poster angry about Paradox DLC to say that EU4 has occasionally treaded some water especially before Art of War put some wind back in its sails, but it never had anything with as poor value/bloat or value/programming effort as Sons, Rajas, and Good Chuck.

Conclave is maybe my favorite DLC for finally giving internal politics some longer legs and Reaper's Due is a really good event pack

Tesla was right
Apr 3, 2009

Whats with all the robot sex avatars?

Crow Jane posted:

My immortal character, by the end, was a blind, one-handed, one-legged, insane werewolf eunuch with half a face. I got really sick of playing him after a while and actively tried to get him killed, but dude just kept on truckin'.

Ditto, but also possessed and disfigured (with a rad golden mask and prosthetic hand)

I'm tempted to get EUIV and take fylkir bersi into the future.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Why on earth isn't there a modifier for "I'm horribly losing a war against a much stronger enemy, maybe I should consider an alliance with this guy" ???

Autonomous Monster posted:

The problem is that there are astonishingly few traits that actually add combat skill. Martial education, Strong/robust, quick/genius and a few outliers like possessed and the lifestyle one, that you can only get by duelling.

So most of the duels are done by people with relatively similar combat scores but vastly different martial ones.

I dunno.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Why on earth isn't there a modifier for "I'm horribly losing a war against a much stronger enemy, maybe I should consider an alliance with this guy" ???
The problem is that there are astonishingly few traits that actually add combat skill. Martial education, Strong/robust, quick/genius and a few outliers like possessed and the lifestyle one, that you can only get by duelling.

So most of the duels are done by people with relatively similar combat scores but vastly different martial ones.

I dunno.

Sayoshant gives +5 personal combat skill! Apart from that, being a viking seems the only halfway decent way to get a good score.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Crow Jane posted:

:chanpop:

I need to get back into CK2 huh?

e: if that happened I would save the game and start as one of the immortal's vassals, honestly

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT

Vengarr posted:

Is this the long-awaited hip-hop version of the main theme?

jesus christ I would play this

It is I, the duke of the Hub

Top Hats Monthly fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Dec 18, 2016

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Vengarr posted:

I think "Political Concerns" is code for "this marriage/alliance would put you in a great position to screw us, and we're worried about it".

It's basically "I don't want your heirs having claims on my poo poo, I know how that book's going to end." But once in a while I have seen a big *bonus* for "Political Concerns" which I assume means "I am 100% hosed unless I give someone more powerful than my current enemy motivation to want to save my rear end," but you're right in that the circumstances for that to happen seem finicky.

Jedit posted:

I also don't find Rulership to have any use. All its events have such long MTTHs that I regularly go a full five years without ever seeing one. The only exception is the one that automatically gives you Stressed, which is no good.

Yeah I agree Rulership is the nut low. Focuses are situational but my personal sorting of them in general would be something like

Hunting (usually wait until I'm ~45 to switch into it for the extra Health though)
Family (usually my general default)
Carousing (awesome if you have many vassals and especially early in your reign, less so if you're still small)
Business (cash = good, or so I heard)
Scholarship (I actually like to take this as soon as I can afford the observatory, then switch out of it as soon as I get my techpoints)
(gap)
Seduction (great specifically for cranking out tons of bastards or for female rulers, otherwise useless)
War (High MTTH on useful events, dueling is more for funsies than for anything useful)
Intrigue (Situationally useful but generally too unreliable for anything more than fun)
(gap)
Theology (useless)
Rulership (worse than useless unless you want your character to die sooner)

One note about Seduction because someone said it's useless now that women can permanently refuse: It's still super easy to crank out practically limitless bastards as long as you don't mind everyone knowing they're your bastards. Just invite single women to your court (preferably with genetic traits!), seduce them (DON'T take them as lovers, you want to seduce them repeatedly for max chance of pregnancy), if she permanently refuses then marry her off to the 67-year-old Count Ugly McCruel of Bumfuckistan and move on to the next. Crusader Kings II: Proudly making you a horrible person since 2012!

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Dec 18, 2016

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
What the hell? Unless they nerfed rulership recently, it's a super good nation-building focus. Put in an arbitrary, greedy nephew twice-removed who accidentally stumbled onto the throne into this focus and watch a just, charitable ruler come out 5 years later. Can totally turn around how your vassals see you. I agree that getting stressed is kinda lovely but just pop rulership for a few years on a dude with bad traits and turn his life around.

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

Also it boosts your income by increasing stewardship.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

NewMars posted:

There needs to be a knightly set of trait for christians that ups duel score.

That's basically what the duellist lifestyle trait is. Except to get that requires winning a bunch of duels first anyway.

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I say we take off and surrender unconditionally from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure

I would add that Intrigue is well worth considering if you're playing a vassal. And often useful as a Merchant Republic if you need to thin out other families.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I'm continuing to see how long I can go without Empowering the Council.
It's now 1100 or so, which I think means that we've been an empire for 150 years, a Kingdom for 100 years before that and Duchy for 50 years before that.

The 'Increase Council Power' faction is basically a constant. There's pretty much always a Duke somewhere who hates my current leader and who can persuade some goons to join his super-secret faction. It used to be a case of keeping the faction at around 80-85% strength by bribing or giving Honorary titles, but since I got Viceroyalty Kingdoms, it's much easier. Give the Viceroyalty to someone a bit long in the tooth (and who will get to 70 - 100 Opinion once you do) and you're safe.
I even bee-lined to get Imperial Administration so that I can start to nerf my vassals even more. Wait for them to start a plot, Imprison, revoke a Duchy and give it to someone else as a Viceroyalty. Splendid stuff. The only issue comes around succession, particularly with Regencies, when I aim to have the Faction screen open all the time to keep an eye on things.

I remain really irritated, however, that the HRE seem equally adept at managing their vassals, meaning that their fat arse is spread all over mainland Europe and has been for the last 250 years.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

I'm kicking myself for not pulling a murder-suicide when I had the chance to inherit the HRE. Somehow I managed to matri-marry the guy fourth in line for the throne. I'm a countess, married to the god damned emperor. We have a son, and he turns out pretty okay. Then I get depressed about one thing or another (possibly the crippling guilt of having multiple princes murdered). And there it is... Emperor's son is my heir, my dynasty, all I had to do is off the hubby, then slit my wrists in the bathtub and our son will bring glory to our name.

But I sit on it. Then my titles get voted off to some cousin (yay elective), and the Pope decides my Cathar husband is too henpecked to be in charge of that much land, he loses the war, converts back to papistry, and then loses the crown to a bunch of angry, plotting (Cathar) dukes. Opportunity gone in a puff of smoke like out of that thing the Pope waves around. Oh well.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

kingturnip posted:

I'm continuing to see how long I can go without Empowering the Council.
It's now 1100 or so, which I think means that we've been an empire for 150 years, a Kingdom for 100 years before that and Duchy for 50 years before that.

The 'Increase Council Power' faction is basically a constant. There's pretty much always a Duke somewhere who hates my current leader and who can persuade some goons to join his super-secret faction. It used to be a case of keeping the faction at around 80-85% strength by bribing or giving Honorary titles, but since I got Viceroyalty Kingdoms, it's much easier. Give the Viceroyalty to someone a bit long in the tooth (and who will get to 70 - 100 Opinion once you do) and you're safe.
I even bee-lined to get Imperial Administration so that I can start to nerf my vassals even more. Wait for them to start a plot, Imprison, revoke a Duchy and give it to someone else as a Viceroyalty. Splendid stuff. The only issue comes around succession, particularly with Regencies, when I aim to have the Faction screen open all the time to keep an eye on things.

I remain really irritated, however, that the HRE seem equally adept at managing their vassals, meaning that their fat arse is spread all over mainland Europe and has been for the last 250 years.
I might be missing a subtlety of viceroyalties since I have never actually used them, but you should be able to prevent a huge swathe of factions by turning your dynasty into a baby maker and making a requirement of viceroyalty to be banging someone from your dynasty. As far as I can tell non-aggression pacts prevent faction joining. It should be a self sustaining baby making diplomacy machine if your order of assigning viceroyalties is to invite to court, matri-marry, then assign the title.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Eric the Mauve posted:

Theology (useless)

Theology is a fast way to get rid of crappy traits.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Rulership can get you one or two extra demesne levels and sometimes a castle. It also constantly has you picking between two dudes for opinion bonuses and if you have the dosh you can just pay 50 for bonuses with both.

It's far from useless, it just doesn't give you the mad cash from the other one, where you debase coins, engage in trade and because it makes your city vassals love you, gets you mad tax from them as well.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
Has anyone ever NOT debased the coins in that Business focus event? I usually give dudes that concentration just to pad my coffers with that sweet fake gold

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

I remember debasing for 100 coins once and then a bad outcome forced me to repay 200 coins later because of inflation so I never did it again.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Eric the Mauve posted:

Hunting (usually wait until I'm ~45 to switch into it for the extra Health though)
Family (usually my general default)
Carousing (awesome if you have many vassals and especially early in your reign, less so if you're still small)
Business (cash = good, or so I heard)
Scholarship (I actually like to take this as soon as I can afford the observatory, then switch out of it as soon as I get my techpoints)
(gap)
Seduction (great specifically for cranking out tons of bastards or for female rulers, otherwise useless)
War (High MTTH on useful events, dueling is more for funsies than for anything useful)
Intrigue (Situationally useful but generally too unreliable for anything more than fun)
(gap)
Theology (useless)
Rulership (worse than useless unless you want your character to die sooner)

I'm playing with CK2+ atm and Theology is far from useless in it. It literally got me the crown of the HRE because my French king was THAT god drat pious and popular there was a revolution in his name I didn't even know about till I suddenly have my poo poo turn gray and a pile of pop up's saying I'm Emperor.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
It's also a way to get loads of free piety with the seclusion event, and that's super useful for muslims and especially caliphs.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Odobenidae posted:

I remember debasing for 100 coins once and then a bad outcome forced me to repay 200 coins later because of inflation so I never did it again.
Whaaaaa

I only ever had it be merchants being all "Ugh dis bad coin" and losing prestige, which is worth way less than gold

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Crusader Kings II: I'm kicking myself for not committing a murder-suicide

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

thanks find court doc decision

e: i wish i could land this guy then play him

verbal enema fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Dec 19, 2016

• Locked thread