Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

DeimosRising posted:

I think if your team is bad, then totally. If your team is somehow good or even decent and has a #1 pick like the cavs did, a sure thing lesser all star is probably going to move the needle more than, say, 2011 John Wall or even 2015 Karl Towns. A bird in the hand and all that, plus the birds in the bush are equally likely to be a tape recorder playing bird sounds with a picture of Andrea Bargani face planting taped to the front and a bomb taped to the back.

Say you're the Clippers right now and have the first overall. By the time Josh Jackson is an all star, if he ever is, CP3 will be 35 or older with a ton of miles, and Griffin and Jordan will be in their 30s and at the tail end of their primes at best. But if that pick could bring you Gordon Hayward or Paul Millsap or even Carmelo, even though they'll be cooked when Jackson is a perennial all NBA guy in ten years, you've probably improved your chances at a title. You may never have the chance to put two or three other stars on a team with your number one pick even if he is one. The Cavs KNEW they could put a top 20ish guy at the time next to James.

The luxury tax is a black box for me though, no way for me to know what any given owner will pay for a contender, or what the threshold of "likely to win a title" is where they say gently caress the money.

Yeah I think it just depends on where your team is. I think draft picks are in general overvalued in all sports-it seems often you'll see someone traded for a draft pick that may become as good as the player that got traded away if the team's lucky. Unless it's someone who's a 100% can't miss superstar (and going back since '90, the only ones I can remember being considered that are Shaq, Duncan, Lebron, and Anthony Davis) a lot of times you'll be able to get a better player, or at least a player who's gonna contribute more in the next 5 years or whatever.

euphronius posted:

Any time you can trade for a hall of famer in his prime you should do it. The love trade was a no brainer. Especially since he fits well with lebron.

This is the other thing. The 4 previous years, if you take out his injured year you had a dude who put up a PER of 24, 25, and 27 (and the 27 was the year after his big injury) with equally impressive counting stats, WS, etc. Love was only 25 too so it's not like you can't get some prime years out of him.

As it is I'm still not sure what to think about Wiggins. Dude sure seems like an empty scorer, but he's still pretty young. And there has to be some value to guys who can put up 20 ppg.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga
lol that Nerlens Noel complained about a logjam at center after only getting 8 minutes in his first game back from injury so it was solved by giving him 0 minutes the next game

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

euphronius posted:

Any time you can trade for a hall of famer in his prime you should do it. The love trade was a no brainer. Especially since he fits well with lebron.

It took depressingly long for everyone to finally come around to this.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Lockback posted:

It took depressingly long for everyone to finally come around to this.

Would you have called Kevin Love a hall of famer in the summer of 2014?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

https://twitter.com/rich_hofmann/status/810665408080527360

I wonder if Noel is getting the message lol.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

dokmo posted:

Yes because the basketball hall of fame is stupid easy to get in

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

He's never playing another minute for the Sixers.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Championship windows can be deceptively short, so if you can get a top 30 player in exchange for a pick go nuts.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
Maybe he, Donatas Cousins and Jackson can make a team made solely out of disgruntled dudes

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Joel Embiid

33 pts (12-17 FG, 2-3 3FG, 7-8 FT), 10 reb, ast, 2 stl, 3 blk, 3 to

27 minutes

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

dokmo posted:

With how basketball hof works, yes.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

euphronius posted:

Joel Embiid

33 pts (12-17 FG, 2-3 3FG, 7-8 FT), 10 reb, ast, 2 stl, 3 blk, 3 to

27 minutes

Change the NBA logo to Embiid

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
The process

I trust it

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Jota posted:

lol that Nerlens Noel complained about a logjam at center after only getting 8 minutes in his first game back from injury so it was solved by giving him 0 minutes the next game

they solved the problem

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Declan MacManus posted:

they solved the problem

Idk they played some weird lineups tonight that had Illyasova at the 5.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

alansmithee posted:

As it is I'm still not sure what to think about Wiggins. Dude sure seems like an empty scorer, but he's still pretty young. And there has to be some value to guys who can put up 20 ppg.

If he only ever ends up being Jerry Stackhouse there's probably some value in that, if only to flip for assets.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

dokmo posted:

Unless you thought he was gonna die or something he was definitely on track for it.

What would Wiggins have brought to a team that already had Irving and LeBron and was trying to win a title? He was promising but not actually good and would have been an awful fit

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Declan MacManus posted:

If he only ever ends up being Jerry Stackhouse there's probably some value in that, if only to flip for assets.

I only think of jerry stackhouse the poster now when I see the name. I need some mid-season I Ching

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Declan MacManus posted:

It's funny you mention that in this conversation because recently I asked for a list of 20 ppg scorers with the lowest ws/48 and Wiggins and Stackhouse were up at the top

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

https://twitter.com/CarmichaelDave/status/810634201733046272

:lol: anyone in the market for a cooked defensive SG that can't actually guard anyone anymore

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
I heard Lowry got shoved by Meeks in today's game. Can someone tell me what happened?

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

MourningView posted:

What would Wiggins have brought to a team that already had Irving and LeBron and was trying to win a title? He was promising but not actually good and would have been an awful fit

He would have been an extremely tradeable asset on a rookie contact. If it didn't work out they could have always traded him for a Love-like player later. You're asking why people didn't like the trade at the time. I'm saying that selling your owner on being a long-term payer of the luxury tax is not a given. Many or most other owners would not have reacted positively to paying so much for a one-way way player while giving up a cheap, desirable athletic player with a good potential to be great. I think the smart play was to wait and see how well Wiggins played, and moved him if it didn't work. Now we know that the owner was always willing to pay the tax so whatever I think is moot. There's a chance that everything I say is stupid. But people are acting like it was a no brainer now, but that's not how I remember the general range of opinions.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Well also it appears lebron came to cle on the condition they got Love so that maybe adds to the no brainerness.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
The Love for Klay Thompson trade is a way cooler NBA alternate universe.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Henchman of Santa posted:

The Love for Klay Thompson trade is a way cooler NBA alternate universe.

It was Klay + Draymond. That would be been something.

dokmo posted:

He would have been an extremely tradeable asset on a rookie contact. If it didn't work out they could have always traded him for a Love-like player later. You're asking why people didn't like the trade at the time. I'm saying that selling your owner on being a long-term payer of the luxury tax is not a given. Many or most other owners would not have reacted positively to paying so much for a one-way way player while giving up a cheap, desirable athletic player with a good potential to be great. I think the smart play was to wait and see how well Wiggins played, and moved him if it didn't work. Now we know that the owner was always willing to pay the tax so whatever I think is moot. There's a chance that everything I say is stupid. But people are acting like it was a no brainer now, but that's not how I remember the general range of opinions.

I think your Luxury Tax concern is valid, and opinions were all over the place but Love is/was an underrated player and Cleveland had everything else lined up for a title run.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

The other thing is people now say Love is a great fit but at the time people wondered how a ball dominant post scorer would work as a pick and pop shooter. I would say that a lot of people wondered about his role at least through the first season. It was not a given that Love would fit in perfectly.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

dokmo posted:

The other thing is people now say Love is a great fit but at the time people wondered how a ball dominant post scorer would work as a pick and pop shooter. I would say that a lot of people wondered about his role at least through the first season. It was not a given that Love would fit in perfectly.

I still don't think he is a perfect fit, the 3rd guy's numbers almost always take a hit. But I think you still make that move to bring in a versatile scorer like that.

Right now his fit looks better because they've actually been able to use him. A big part of that is the rest of the Cavs outside of the big 3 + Shumpert have not looked very good. Maybe some of that is Love taking a lot of touches, not sure which is the symptom here.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer
pretty decent ceremony for tim tonight

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Blatt was fired for using love as a ryan Anderson and as soon as lue got head coached, love got more touches at the elbow and othwr methods to get him involved.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

I heard Lowry got shoved by Meeks in today's game. Can someone tell me what happened?

Didn't see it but
https://streamable.com/u2bjz

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

Lockback posted:

I still don't think he is a perfect fit, the 3rd guy's numbers almost always take a hit. But I think you still make that move to bring in a versatile scorer like that.

In retrospect you're obviously right, but what I'm trying to get at is that it's much more difficult trying to forecast this stuff as it's happening, and I'm asking people to think back to what they thought back then. I think a lot of people are misremembering either their opinions or how confident they were in those opinions. I just know that I wasn't the only one who thought it was a bad idea back then, even though it sure feels like that now.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
The issue was could love and Lebron work together in an offense outside of pick n pops and love standing in a corner for a 3 because where they pick their spots are the same spots

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008

Paulocaust posted:

Boogie is a dipshit rear end in a top hat that deserves what he gets

No he isn't and no he doesn't.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

Hmm didnt watch the game but I have a feeling this was the turning point from close to blowout

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

dokmo posted:

In retrospect you're obviously right, but what I'm trying to get at is that it's much more difficult trying to forecast this stuff as it's happening, and I'm asking people to think back to what they thought back then. I think a lot of people are misremembering either their opinions or how confident they were in those opinions. I just know that I wasn't the only one who thought it was a bad idea back then, even though it sure feels like that now.

It was defintiely controversial, I didn't think at the time Love was a great fit because of his defense and need to handle the ball, but I am 90% sure I said the same thing then - rookies always suck, rookie contract guys almost always suck on defense, and you're not winning a ring if 22 year old Wiggins is your third best player. And if Lebron comes back and you don't get a ring, that's gonna be seen as a failure. You're all in.

Paulocaust
Jan 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Hmm didnt watch the game but I have a feeling this was the turning point from close to blowout

It was, Kyle scored the next 5 points to go ahead and then Orlando only scored 40odd points for the rest of the game lol

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

DeimosRising posted:

It was defintiely controversial, I didn't think at the time Love was a great fit because of his defense and need to handle the ball, but I am 90% sure I said the same thing then - rookies always suck, rookie contract guys almost always suck on defense, and you're not winning a ring if 22 year old Wiggins is your third best player. And if Lebron comes back and you don't get a ring, that's gonna be seen as a failure. You're all in.

At some point the advanced stats definitely won the thread over to the "rookies almost always suck" angle and now it's common wisdom, I don't remember if the victory was complete by the time that trade went down. It might have been contemporaneous because they had to make the case a bunch just because of that trade? A rookie is almost never better for the actual team trying to Win Now and LeBron was ready to Win Now

I seem to remember people being generally convinced that yeah the dude who just put up the NBA's first 30-30 game since Moses Malone in '82 was better an unproven rookie, but there were questions about Love's defensive ability and how that would relate to a deep playoff run (it was unnecessary worrying, he's one of the greatest perimeter defenders in NBA history since it's the end of the year I will quote the best post I made all year, everyone else should do the same:)

EvanTH posted:

cause ain't no such things as halfcourt looks
scared of Love, scared to jook; he shook

balling at the oracle, son, there's numerous dudes who work for hedge funds
Love locked in, shut down, allowed none
terrible shoes on straight up shook ones

he ain't a champ, son
he just a shook one
he ain't a champ son
he blew a 3-1

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Id like to go on record and say gently caress you Jodie Meeks you punk bitch. You almost tore our starting PF's ACL and would have been out for the season. gently caress you. Also nice job waking up Lowry when you were in the lead so we had to smoke you by 30.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Yeah maybe there was some context I missed, but from the video it looked like Meeks shoved Lowry over, and then was so mad about shoving Lowry over that he shoved Lowry over again. What a jackass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
I'm glad we have a leader with truculence, it's refreshing compared to last decade's beta bitchboy squad featuring Bosh the emotional dinosaur and the dead-eyed dumbfuck Bargnani.

https://twitter.com/CarmichaelDave/status/810634201733046272

Whats going on wit Afflalo?

MOVIE MAJICK fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Dec 19, 2016

• Locked thread