Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
my shithole town had a line for gas

that place never had a line for anything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

I had just turned 21 a few days before 9/11. hosed up.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
I lost my virginity on 9/11

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
I was playing Jane's 688, plotting a tomahawk attack on some Libyan or something idk, I had the tv on in the background when I saw

then I went to intro to economics class and the teacher insisted we stop talking about it because it wouldn't have an impact on the economy lol

also my mom was afraid I'd get drafted, in Canada, somehow

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
i had woken up early to watch the price is right on tv and was disappointed to see the news footage

i still wonder to this day how gore would have reacted to 9/11 and would like to have heard his rationale for going to war in iraq

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Biodome posted:

miss? you forgot to collect yesterday's homework.

this motherfucker

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

i have a weird out of place memory of my class discussing the plausibility of the Taliban coating bridges with "jelly made out of nerve gas" and the teacher insisting that that was just news outlets trying to scare everyone by being bombastic and me being disappointed because it sounded cool and science-y

e: "like something a bond villain would do" was my exact words I just remembered

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

actually thinking back to it that was in the middle of my teacher explaining to us that news outlets sometimes say big scary but not really true things of what could happen because it gets people to watch and they're in the business of getting people to watch and we should always think about what was on the news critically, she was a real good teacher :3:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

in that exact same vein, when NATO started bombing kosovo in 1999 we watched a news thing in class about it, and part of it was about all the increase in tension between the USA and Russia that was resulting. the news anchor said "russian nuclear missiles are now targeted on all major american cities" and a friend of my started hyperventilating and then ran to the bathroom and threw up

ofc russian nuclear missiles have always been targeted at all major american cities since they were invented, that wasn't even newsworthy.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
i saw 9/11 on a tv in the dorm common area, went to english class anyway, and then classes got cancelled like half an hour later so i hung out watching cnn the rest of the day and smoking weed

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

what hosed up thing will donald trump let happen so we invade iran i wonder

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
I was a junior in High School (class of '02) back then. I'm pretty sure I ditched out of school during the commotion and bought some Milano cookies from a Wawa.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

they didn't cancel class for us in canada. the school chaplain came on the intercom and said a prayer and then we went back to doing classwork.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
it was like my 4th day of high school and the ensuing afghanistan and iraq clusterfucks were basically my baptism into politics. most everyone forgot pretty quickly though because there was a big gang shootout a couple blocks up from the school a week later. we had more pressing concerns.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
my friend and i ditched middle school and hit up a deli

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

uncurable mlady posted:

what hosed up thing will donald trump let happen so we invade iran i wonder

if theres a 9/11 during trump's 1st year the only thing that might save us from committing massive war crimes is if the opposition manage to redirect public anger onto him for ditching his intelligence briefings

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

I was in NYC in July 2001 for Macworld and it was kinda late on the last day and we hadn't gone to the WTC yet. I was like ah well we'll just go there next year. lol.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

if theres a 9/11 during trump's 1st year the only thing that might save us from committing massive war crimes is if the opposition manage to redirect public anger onto him for ditching his intelligence briefings

hahaha you're adorable

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
I wonder how many middle Americans still think ground zero exists

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

it was like my 4th day of high school and the ensuing afghanistan and iraq clusterfucks were basically my baptism into politics. most everyone forgot pretty quickly though because there was a big gang shootout a couple blocks up from the school a week later. we had more pressing concerns.

r we the same age? it was a few days into high school for me too

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

fart simpson posted:

r we the same age? it was a few days into high school for me too

ur probably a year older than me cuz i skipped a grade. ill be 29 in a couple months.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

I lost my virginity on 9/11

Yeah, 9/11/2015!

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Elder Postsman posted:

I was in NYC in July 2001 for Macworld and it was kinda late on the last day and we hadn't gone to the WTC yet. I was like ah well we'll just go there next year. lol.

:owned:

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

lancemantis posted:

living in nebrahoma nobody got picked up from school because we were all too manly to let the terrorists win :dukedog:

more so probably because peoples parents were too big of drunks or just couldn't be bothered

:tif:

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
i was, uh, in the air force on 9/11

just got stationed at beale, figured i'd have an easy last 2 years of my enlistment, get some college classes in etc

first day at work was 9/10

lol

i got off real fuckin easy anyway, being burnt the gently caress out is cool and good

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Tayter Swift posted:

i was, uh, in the air force on 9/11

just got stationed at beale, figured i'd have an easy last 2 years of my enlistment, get some college classes in etc

first day at work was 9/10

lol

i got off real fuckin easy anyway, being burnt the gently caress out is cool and good

how did your first day of work go

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
I was supposed to meet my buddies in Boston for some wild poo poo that morning but I overslept and they got to have a loving blast

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
for me, watching september 11 on tv was less of a big deal than "shock and awe" in iraq.

i watched the bombs over baghdad in real-time, with commentary provided by cnn. it was fully sick. i literally puked

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
it is worth noting that sept 11 wasn't known to be a terrorist attack at the time. yeah, i watched that poo poo live on the news, but we didn't know what was happening. it was scary and weird

"shock and awe" was scheduled in advance. we knew exactly what was happening. it was loving horrifying to watch coordinated strikes on a city scheduled like fireworks

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

for me, watching september 11 on tv was less of a big deal than "shock and awe" in iraq.

i watched the bombs over baghdad in real-time, with commentary provided by cnn. it was fully sick. i literally puked

don't pull the thang out, unless you plan to bang

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

ate all the Oreos posted:

don't pull the thang out, unless you plan to bang

idgi

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

it is worth noting that sept 11 wasn't known to be a terrorist attack at the time. yeah, i watched that poo poo live on the news, but we didn't know what was happening. it was scary and weird

"shock and awe" was scheduled in advance. we knew exactly what was happening. it was loving horrifying to watch coordinated strikes on a city scheduled like fireworks

Following the 2003 invasion of Iraq by the US, the term "shock and awe" has been used for commercial purposes. The United States Patent and Trademark Office received at least 29 trademark applications in 2003 for exclusive use of the term.[22] The first came from a fireworks company on the day the US started bombing Baghdad.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVehcuJXe6I

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

lol, no. if there's a terrorist attack that kills thousands of people on american soil, we're going to war and we're bombing a lot of people.

someone in another thread once suggested that maybe america wouldn't have gone after bin laden if he'd holed up in pakistan just because pakistan has nuclear weapons, but the war fever after 9/11 was truly insane. i think we would have been eager to invade any nation that refused to hand him over short of russia or china, and if it happened to be someone with nukes like pakistan, we would have just said "gently caress you, if you nuke us or our troops we will annihilate you"

Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

:golgo:
EVERYONE EXCEPT THE HOT WOMEN
:golgo:
I had late start so I rolled in a bit after the first plane hit and all the tvs were on, plane number 2 hit and i basically just walked home lol

probably played counterstrike or something

crusader_complex
Jun 4, 2012

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

yeah. id like to make a joke but it was completely bizarre.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i remember watching the afghanistan invasion a month or two after 9/11 and feeling like, this is righteous

i also remember a year and a half later watching the invasion of iraq and thinking osama bin laden is in iraq now? why can't they just assassinate him if they know he's there?

i was still wide-eyed and innocent

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

i remember arguing with my dad that going into Iraq was a terrible idea, it was going to be a worse quagmire than Vietnam and would destabilize the region for decades and just give rise to even more terrorists

called that one pretty well imo

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av
I was home, in my pjs, skipping class as usual. I thought "world war iii"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

i'd just came home from primary school because i was 9

i can also remember watching the crowd pulling down saddam's statue on my neighbor's tv and him joking that the two poles would get bombed because they looked like a gun turret

• Locked thread