Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Which is still just "Deku".

As much as I love BNHA, really? Dude's literally going to make his hero name "Person Who Can't Do Anything"? I don't care how he and Ochako choose to reinterpret it, that is still a really lovely superhero name.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Dec 17, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Deku is not Japanese for "person who can't do anything"

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Poison Mushroom posted:

As much as I love BNHA, really? Dude's literally going to make his hero name "Person Who Can't Do Anything"? I don't care how he and Ochako choose to reinterpret it, that is still a really lovely superhero name.

Deku doesn't mean anything. it's just an alternate reading of his name that bakugou used to make fun of him

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

i basically never remember that deku isn't actually his name

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
I hope they get through Stain just because it means we'll be that much closer to All Might vs All for One, which is the fight I want to see animated the most.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
Man, now I wanna watch season one again.

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009
The next season going up through Stain would be good for it; the pacing of season 1 was goddamn glacial except for the last couple episodes. If they didn't feel the need to reproduce every single reaction shot from the comic they'd free up about five minutes an episode.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Agnostalgia posted:

The next season going up through Stain would be good for it; the pacing of season 1 was goddamn glacial except for the last couple episodes. If they didn't feel the need to reproduce every single reaction shot from the comic they'd free up about five minutes an episode.

The big problem though is that there was no other point the first season could end on.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Maybe if we're lucky this will be a spring/fall deal.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Poison Mushroom posted:

"Capable" translates to できる "dekiru". So it means more like someone who can do anything, not the opposite.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I guess I'm just an idiot, then. Ignore me!

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

Mordaedil posted:

"Capable" translates to できる "dekiru". So it means more like someone who can do anything, not the opposite.

I'm too lazy to search the chapters, but was that ochako's reasoning for keeping it?
I'm 120% sure that's not why Bakugou started.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

I'm too lazy to search the chapters, but was that ochako's reasoning for keeping it?
I'm 120% sure that's not why Bakugou started.

It's probably why Ochako thinks the word has the vibe of someone who never gives up at least.

Bakugou just changed the Kanji readings in Izuku's name to it because it can also mean "fool". So it's basically a lovely kanji pun, kinda a reach there Bakugou.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

SyntheticPolygon posted:

It's probably why Ochako thinks the word has the vibe of someone who never gives up at least.

Bakugou just changed the Kanji readings in Izuku's name to it because it can also mean "fool". So it's basically a lovely kanji pun, kinda a reach there Bakugou.

pretty sure he just changed the kanji readings to a made up word and then decided that the meaning of the made up word is lovely loser

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

quote:

"Deku" (デク lit. "one who can't achieve/do anything") is another reading of his name Izuku (出久).
I'm not sure how reliable the wiki is, but that's what it says.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I'm not sure a word that's written in katakana has a literal translation from Japanese, seeing as katakana is for foreign words, words meant to be read phonetically without any meaning, and sound effects.

I'm also not very sure the userbase of Wikia has the greatest grasp on nihongo.

Like, it was just little Bakugo loving with Deku and saying it meant that because he learned how to read kanji and decided to give him a dumb nickname. Likewise, Deku making it his hero name is him both owning up to and surpassing his quirkless past by taking back said lovely nickname and again, owning it.

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Dec 19, 2016

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

The "meaning" entirely comes just from Bakugou going "Hey did you know the 出 in your name can also be read as "De" instead of "Izu". I'm so good at reading Kanji, and you aren't. So I'm going to call you Deku, the guy that can't do anything."

He just changed the reading of the character, not the meaning.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
Actual dictionary reference. I've never heard of it, but apparently, Deku can mean good-for-nothing. Waffleman, katakana can just be used for more than what you listed. It can be used for emphasis, like all caps. Shouldn't read too much into something being written in katakana.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Wittgen posted:

Waffleman, katakana can just be used for more than what you listed. It can be used for emphasis, like all caps. Shouldn't read too much into something being written in katakana.

I think Naruto would do the same "use katakana for character names so they stick out" thing, but the meanings would still remain.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I am just not going to allow this to become MHA's nakama. I refuse.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I'm finally getting around to watching the dub, and I didn't think I'd like Katsuki's voice at first, but it's really growing on me. (And Chris Sabat is always great.)

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012

Wittgen posted:

Actual dictionary reference. I've never heard of it, but apparently, Deku can mean good-for-nothing.

drat. ppl who dont know any japanese really do post authoritatively about it. then someone comes along with a dictionary link that directly contradicts them all.

this last page has been a revelation for me. im gonna be more careful about just repeating poo poo i read on forums in the future

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Changing the subject, did the chapter get leaked this week or is it on break or what? Usually, I have to stop reading the thread about Thursday until my issue of WSJ comes in.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP
Break week for Christmas. Chapter Thursday, New Year's break the following week, then regular schedule until Golden Week.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Ah, right, Christmas.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Law Cheetah posted:

drat. ppl who dont know any japanese really do post authoritatively about it. then someone comes along with a dictionary link that directly contradicts them all.

this last page has been a revelation for me. im gonna be more careful about just repeating poo poo i read on forums in the future

The trick is to know how to go "oops my bad" on the internet. It's gotten me pretty far, myself.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

Xarbala posted:

The trick is to know how to go "oops my bad" on the internet. It's gotten me pretty far, myself.

This.

And also a fair amount of self-doubt while talking about things you are not authoritative about. I forget sometimes too.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I just post and never presume anything I'm going to say is actually correct. Even if I just finished reading or watching it.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
To be fair, the dictionary I used didn't have a listing for deku, at least not using katakana. So I just posted what I found and hoped someone could bridge the gap, which someone did.

And to be fair to Google Translate, Bing is even worse.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

http://mangastream.com/r/my_hero_academia/120/3896/1

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Terper posted:

Because this is the first time UA actually sees that. He's been abrasive and rude, but this is the first time his attitude really comes to light for everyone. He has also displayed several heroic characteristics found in All Might himself: he is confident, self-assured, someone the people can look up to and declare their savior.

Deku is selfless and heroic, yes, but All Might is also so much more than that. All Might is, to the general populace, someone who is incredibly cocky and self-assured, someone who never shows a hint of fear, someone who absolutely dominates every battle without so much as a sweat. Neither Deku or Bakugou are All Might, but together they form something very close to him. And they're both still children with room to grow.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Terprophet.

EDIT: Terperophet.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Wow, Jirou got more votes than Tsuyu and Ochako.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
A Very Good Chapter. Thank you Japan for agreeing that Bakugou is #1.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Bakugou is our bakuboy.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I can't believe All Might's out of the top 5. :(

Was expecting Shigaraki to get more of a boost as well, and i'm surprised All for One isn't up there at all. I'm happy my fav dude Iida didn't drop any though, even if he deserves to be a higher rank.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

JosephWongKS posted:

Wow, Jirou got more votes than Tsuyu and Ochako.

she's good, much like this chapter

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I want that poll art without all the text.

Also Mineta plummeting and the one guy that continues to vote for Deku's shoe are hilarious.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
I wanted to cry at that ending, but in a good way :unsmith:

I'm glad the voters agree that Bakugou is amazing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I don't need Bakugou and Deku being best buds but having some respect for each other as more or less equals (so not Deku's combination of wimpy idolization and fear) would be great for their characters. Bakugou showing he actually has emotions other than extreme self confidence and anger was nice :3: