Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
:chloe: y'all meltdown over the strangest things

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

Excuse my worthless shitposting because all I can ever hope to accomplish in life is to rot away the braincells of strangers on the internet with my irredeemable brainworms.
for all the stupid things they may do to the meta, FA off is still amazing and justifies the years of work FD put in. every ship has a "personality" in that weird way cars do, and this is before the many different ways weapons, heat and mass play off each other. the old sims like FS2 and X had their own charms but their flight models don't make you want to pick them back up like Elite does.

right after my brother bought the game, he died to an adder. this pissed him off so much that he fought stuff for like 8 hours straight until he felt comfortable without the flight assist, apparently he had dreams a couple nights in a row just about how to counter the different maneuvers he saw. super dumb, but at the same time I totally understood; every time I hear that little "tik" I kind of get why he went spacenuts for a day

Apple Craft
Mar 8, 2012
Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray :cry: Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray
Shut up and kill skimmers, you nerds.

Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

Excuse my worthless shitposting because all I can ever hope to accomplish in life is to rot away the braincells of strangers on the internet with my irredeemable brainworms.
this is also a good idea

Turmoil
Jun 27, 2000

Forum Veteran

Young Urchin

Tippis posted:

If you just re-buy the ship at the regular insurance price, the mods are included. If you buy a new ship and new modules, those come without modifications.

That's the thing that's kind of dumb. You go to all that trouble to get stuff for the engineers and then insurance just replaces it like it's something off the shelf from the corner auto parts store.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Turmoil posted:

That's the thing that's kind of dumb. You go to all that trouble to get stuff for the engineers and then insurance just replaces it like it's something off the shelf from the corner auto parts store.

Gameplay > logic, even for such a fundamentally sadistic game as E:D.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Turmoil posted:

Apple Craft posted:

Delete that post before Frontier sees it and likes it.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Holy poo poo there are a lot of closet-grognards itt. :trumppop:

Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

if you're not playing this game for the flight mechanics, you're playing it for hauling/npc grinding and holy drat I'll take being a grog over that active torture. maybe exploration? but again, haven't heard much on that front since colonia was a thing

Apple Craft
Mar 8, 2012
Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray :cry: Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray
I've had goons message me while playing Euro Trucker 2 to ask me if I was actually playing, or just afk trolling my friends list. Yes, my friend. Yes.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Apple Craft posted:

I've had goons message me while playing Euro Trucker 2 to ask me if I was actually playing, or just afk trolling my friends list. Yes, my friend. Yes.

ETS2 owns though

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Good Dumplings posted:

if you're not playing this game for the flight mechanics, you're playing it for hauling/npc grinding and holy drat I'll take being a grog over that active torture. maybe exploration? but again, haven't heard much on that front since colonia was a thing

Exploration can be interesting if you love astronomy, but it's also a lot of jumping into brown dwarf systems full of rocks and jumping out 30 seconds later. I did it for about six months and earned enough money to... uh... upgrade my Asp.

I'd basically recommend going nebula/black hole sightseeing or trying to discover hidden supergiants unless you're absolutely determined to be part of the "far edge of the galaxy" club.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

FronzelNeekburm posted:

Exploration can be interesting if you love astronomy, but it's also a lot of jumping into brown dwarf systems full of rocks and jumping out 30 seconds later. I did it for about six months and earned enough money to... uh... upgrade my Asp.

I'd basically recommend going nebula/black hole sightseeing or trying to discover hidden supergiants unless you're absolutely determined to be part of the "far edge of the galaxy" club.

The new route filtering makes it a whole lot more worth-while, almost to the point where you're glad to see a system that has nothing worth scanning so you can actually move forward a bit. :D

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

Apple Craft posted:

Delete that post before Frontier sees it and likes it.

:vince:

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

:chloe: y'all meltdown over the strangest things

As goons this is both our right and our duty.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

StarkRavingMad posted:

ETS2 owns though

gently caress yeah it does. Listening to German radio while cruising between Paris and Berlin and then backing a trailer into a tight space is the poo poo.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
In twenty years all trucks will be remote controlled by spergs in front of their computers who pay for the privilige of doing it.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

hakimashou posted:

In twenty years all trucks will be remote controlled by spergs in front of their computers who pay for the privilige of doing it.

In the future, all trucks will be driven by AIs who only think they are humans playing ETS2. :bandwagon:

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

gently caress you, I came out of the closet ages ago!

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Look at this person being in denial about being a grognard.

Join usssss
(you post here you already qualify sorry to break it to you)

Morningwoodpecker
Jan 17, 2016

I DIDN'T THINK IT WAS POSSIBLE FOR SOMEONE TO BE THIS STUPID

BUT HERE YOU ARE

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Because it's something to do whilst getting in range?

That makes perfect sense, I think I'll try it.

(sorry if this goes against the grain of the thread)

sethimothy
Nov 1, 2006

Nyu for 1d4 points of damage
So they're doing a 24 hour charity stream on Youtube, which you can kind of read more about here: https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/frontierdev

I say "kind of" because while it's clear they are raising money for a group called SpecialEffect and that they are also doing some sort of random draw, how the random draw works isn't discussed explicitly. On their feed they've had various giveaways. Also, they are saying if you spend so much (I believe, but don't quote me on this, it's 5 pounds or 7 American dollars) you get a custom skin or something, but again, this also isn't gone into or discussed in any way, so hell if I know.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Shine posted:

gently caress yeah it does. Listening to German radio while cruising between Paris and Berlin and then backing a trailer into a tight space is the poo poo.

While I was doing rare trade routes a while ago, I had Hotmix Radio in the background at all times. It was like ETS2 but in space.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Shlapintogan posted:

While I was doing rare trade routes a while ago, I had Hotmix Radio in the background at all times. It was like ETS2 but in space.

In my last session to map out parts of the Colonia Sector in my new, unshiny Adder (my giant Imperial Cutter and his slow rear end are parked in Jaques' Station until I leave the sector corewards), I had a YouTube-channel running on my PS4.

The guys (calling themselves "D-Pad") have tons of ultra-long LPs of game series running and since they once had their own radio show they know how to make that poo poo interesting. So last time I had their Mega Man Mega-LP running in the background and then nearly planted myself into a planet when one of the guys went "Don't worry, I got this!" and then proceeded to face tank like 5 shots and nearly died instantly. :allears:

But yeah, serious explorers need back-up like this: Long LPs, radio, podcasts.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore
Excuse me, do you have a minute to talk about our lord and saviour, the plasma accelerator?

I promise it'll only take a minute.

I don't know what plasma is, but the person who first thought of accelerating it was a genius.

The plasma accelerator works on the principle of accelerating plasma somehow.

In short, plasma is good. Thank you.

DreadLlama fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Dec 19, 2016

Einbauschrank
Nov 5, 2009

Turmoil posted:

Even worse: If you can sell engineering commodities everywhere, why can't you buy them (e.g. Modular Terminals)? Either there's a market for the stuff or there isn't. And if there is a market, why are the prices so low?

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

Is this game fun yet?

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

On my long jumps to jaques I've been playing a mix of 80s cartoons and Horizon documentaries from the BBC for me and my viewers to enjoy.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

E Equals MC Hammer posted:

Is this game fun yet?

It has the same pros and cons that it's always had, and likely always will have.

Bart Fargo
Mar 24, 2005

Il Raggio Infernale

We've got live music now on the charity stream if you'd like to pop in and toss them some money!

https://www.youtube.com/FrontierDev...elopments%20Ltd

edit: Well the music ended before I got the link posted, but the stream's still going. Please check them out.

Bart Fargo fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Dec 19, 2016

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

E Equals MC Hammer posted:

Is this game fun yet?

Hacking isn't cutting it?

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

Hacking always does it, but then a point comes where you say to yourself; "Hey, self, why are we playing this when we could be playing Killer7?".

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
I don't know, I have an old cheat engine for my old Nintendo DS and I learned the hard way that cheating/hacking just sucks the fun out of even bad games.

So maybe try Elite again, but this time without hacking? It could be more fun this way. :shrug:

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
These christmas skins are so aggressively mediocre. I would have given you money, Frontier! I would have paid like 10 US Dollars for a green Python with multicolor christmas lights tangled around the hull. I haven't even played the game in like a month, and I would have bought that just to annoy the lore dads out in Colonia.

sethimothy
Nov 1, 2006

Nyu for 1d4 points of damage
How are people hacking in an online game?

Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

IIRC the servers are peer to peer (or at least they're partly client-authoritative?), so in theory you could do all sorts of Division-style shenanigans. Be invincible, teleport to the center of the galaxy, shoot plasma out of your rear end, etc. It's just that none of that will let you do anything more interesting than what you could already do.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Good Dumplings posted:

IIRC the servers are peer to peer (or at least they're partly client-authoritative?), so in theory you could do all sorts of Division-style shenanigans. Be invincible, teleport to the center of the galaxy, shoot plasma out of your rear end, etc. It's just that none of that will let you do anything more interesting than what you could already do.

If someone wants to write a hack that lets you pick engineer rolls then send it my way TIA.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

DancingShade posted:

Oh I thought it was a Mk 3 that day. Whoops!

It's an Adder skin (so a repeat of the Sidewinder "who the gently caress buys a skin for a ship you fly for half a day" thing) and yeah the Cobra was a Mk.4, thanks for pointing that out because I don't even have access to that ship or I might have bought the skin (it's chrome okay?).

Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.

Good Dumplings posted:

Pretty much the only things you can't do are things that rely on the transaction server to validate, money and position mostly. But time was when you could do infinite range jumps, but the transaction server started kicking you out if you attempted more than 100ly iirc. Some legit players stumbled into it when attempting to jumponium their >50ly condas :v:

There's a player (won't name them) that has amazing screenshots of random stars way outside the galaxy, fully populated with planets and poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

sethimothy posted:

How are people hacking in an online game?

Very carefully

• Locked thread