Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

yes, that was mentioned just a few pages ago

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Lutha Mahtin posted:

yes, that was mentioned just a few pages ago

:swoon:

ps: i wanna say: fuckig what. internet is trash

Rap Music and Dope
Dec 25, 2010
For some reason Euros really suck to

Scudworth posted:

I've seen weirder confirmed poo poo happen on this old internet, my friend.

Haha as if a world famous musician is going to reach out to Lowtax on twitter to ask for his lost SA password to be reset and then become a moderator haha as if.

I remember the very first day I got out of jail I saw Caro was alive. I was only gone for 8 days but I felt like I came home to an optimistic new world not like the one I last saw. Anything is possible, goonsires.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Posted by rubber cat on February 18, 2014
"Actually, the oldest living goon is corsair."

Ah, so THAT'S where :corsair: comes from.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

The Pope posted:

tokaii's stories are stdh jesus goons. Yes a retired undercover cop is gonna post about his life on a comedy forum and then play korean mmos with you.
Yeah, like a moderator will die in a coordinated attack in a civil war zone and have his face on TV and his corpse dragged out over and over by Republicans. It's laughable.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Posted by rubber cat on February 18, 2014
"Actually, the oldest living goon is corsair."

Ah, so THAT'S where :corsair: comes from.

yes, it's the in-joke about forums moderator corsair. the joke is "corsair is old".

some other goons have had this joke associated with them as well. for example, there was a time when "rotor is old, lol" jokes were bannable in yospos

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Lutha Mahtin posted:

yes, it's the in-joke about forums moderator corsair. the joke is "corsair is old".

some other goons have had this joke associated with them as well. for example, there was a time when "rotor is old, lol" jokes were bannable in yospos

Oh, I just meant that the smiley name never made sense to me until now. I had actually never heard of Corsair at all.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Oh, I just meant that the smiley name never made sense to me until now. I had actually never heard of Corsair at all.

I thought it had to do with the Silver Horde.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Lutha Mahtin posted:

Tokaii has an article in SAclopedia. His goldmined thread about being a cop is linked there. My guess is that the most likely explanation for his "hebephile" post is that he's an old man who learned the word decades ago and was out of date/clueless about the gross corners of the Internet that many goons consider common knowledge. It's also very likely that he didn't understand the entire situation, because I don't think someone who was a cop and schoolteacher would defend the person he did if he knew the whole story. And the fact is that Tokaii's "pedo-defender" post is only a minor footnote in a way grosser and awful story.

The story began for me around the time of the North American launch of a Korean MMO called ArcheAge. Goons were excited about this game and a :goonrush: was in full effect for launch, including yours truly. The game had some neat ideas, and one that goons were interested in was that it had the same social policy of Eve Online where players are allowed to scam and steal from each other. It also had a player-driven economy, like Eve. These things meant (of course) that the game brought in many goons who had played Eve in the past. Goon guilds were made, and people were having fun playing the game. Then someone pointed out that a leader of the goon guild, BobFromMarketing had the same username as a sexual predator. Information was shared that someone named BobFromMarketing had been banned from Goonfleet years earlier, because he had met an underage girl in Eve Online and proceeded to groom and abuse her over a period of several years. It's very gross and the now-woman who suffered this abuse eventually posted online about it: :nms: woman telling story about childhood sexual abuse :nms:

This set off a gigantic shitstorm for the goons playing that stupid game, because some of the other leaders in the goon guilds made very tone-deaf statements and didn't respond by immediately kicking the guy out. I don't remember exactly, but I think at one point there was a second scandal; after he'd been officially kicked out of goon guilds, I think it was revealed that some goons were still in contact with this guy in-game, because he was an uber-nerd who was really good at the game, or he owned in-game land that was valuable for producing certain crops, or some other really dumb thing that was no justification for keeping in contact with him. The gas chamber thread linked in my first paragraph here, the one that goes to Tokaii's cringe-post, was one of the main SA threads for that game at the time, so if for some reason you want to read more about this (eww, yuck), you can follow that down the rabbit hole.

This also resulted in BobFromMarketing eating a permaban. I think there might have even part of this story where some Eve goons had tried to raise a fuss about him on SA that didn't go anywhere. I'm not sure on that one, though.

THE SAGA NEVER ENDS

Jedit posted:

Thing is, Tokaii wasn't factually incorrect about anything and as a cop he would probably have had to make a legal distinction between statutory rapists and child molesters at some point. He just got old and couldn't adapt to the binary equation that most people maintain where loving underage people is concerned.

pentyne posted:

And he was pointing out how historically and what some studies show is that generally the "most desirable" characteristics and appearances for women is the middle-late teen look, or even younger as you go farther back. Child prostitution was the norm in the UK during the 1800s with girls as young as 11-12 and the only reason it ended up getting addressed by parliament (of whose own MPs were the biggest customers) was the sheer volume of pre-teen girls being brought into the isles from Eastern Europe. That and the age of consent being 12, so when it was raised to 16 suddenly the highest demand age group 12-15 was suddenly illegal and caused quite a consternation with British men.

But again, trying to argue anything from a point of "sex with a 15 year old is completely different then sex with a 8 year old" gets shouted down as pedophilia apologia. To be fair, its nothing something you want to encourage or embrace discussion of on this forum, like the guy who was a admitted non-offending pedophile and wanted to have a forum thread to discuss it.

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Scudworth posted:

I've seen weirder confirmed poo poo happen on this old internet, my friend.

Haha as if a world famous musician is going to reach out to Lowtax on twitter to ask for his lost SA password to be reset and then become a moderator haha as if.

That, Caro, Vilerat etc are all proven and backed up. The vast majority of the time the "here's a series of amazing stories about my past" threads are total bullshit, so unless Tokaii had some way to prove he was who he said he was I'd lean that way pretty hard

So yeah goons probably jumped all over themselves to defend a creative fiction writer who defends pedophiles. Wtf 72 year old former hardcore cop plays MMOs lmao

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

I once had a 65+ hardcore biker telling me all about his wow raiding guild so the mmo part isn't unbelievable

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Aesop Poprock posted:

That, Caro, Vilerat etc are all proven and backed up. The vast majority of the time the "here's a series of amazing stories about my past" threads are total bullshit, so unless Tokaii had some way to prove he was who he said he was I'd lean that way pretty hard

So yeah goons probably jumped all over themselves to defend a creative fiction writer who defends pedophiles. Wtf 72 year old former hardcore cop plays MMOs lmao

It was a long time ago, but didn't Tokaii post some newspaper clippings or something from when he was undercover and maybe someone figured out what his real name was or something? It was a long time ago when I was reading that thread and archives isn't working for me at the moment to hunt any of it down.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

CannonFodder posted:

Yeah, like a moderator will die in a coordinated attack in a civil war zone and have his face on TV and his corpse dragged out over and over by Republicans. It's laughable.

like a xhosa girl

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

RFC2324 posted:

I once had a 65+ hardcore biker telling me all about his wow raiding guild so the mmo part isn't unbelievable

this is getting kinda derail-ey and helldump-ish but i remember him saying at some point that he played computer games because it was a hobby he enjoyed that he could afford on his fixed retirement income. and if you compare that to typical old man hobbies like golf, fishing, birding (photography), and traveling, it basically checks out.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

A world-famous MMA fighter is apparently a high-level player in some random MMO so an old man playing what's generally known to be one of the easiest and most casual/newbie-friendly MMOs out there isn't really that far-fetched

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Kelp Me! posted:

A world-famous MMA fighter is apparently a high-level player in some random MMO so an old man playing what's generally known to be one of the easiest and most casual/newbie-friendly MMOs out there isn't really that far-fetched

Yeah, Vin Diesel is a turbonerd who plays a lot of video games and tabletop D&D.
You really never know

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

canyoneer posted:

Yeah, Vin Diesel is a turbonerd who plays a lot of video games and tabletop D&D.
You really never know

Vin Diesel is hilarious and awesome. He was directly involved in making sure the Riddick games weren't lovely movie tie-ins (they ended up being pretty awesome), and IIRC in XXX his character has a tattoo of his D&D character's name

there's also this amazing piece of history
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kthtkKM0oQ

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
And before that you can catch him in a break-dancing instructional video. Apparently he tries to get all of his co-stars to play D&D with him. Judi Dench is said to have really gotten into it and enjoyed it.

In similar secret-nerd celebrity news, Jamie Lee Curtis is a big time gamer, playing WoW all the time, and her son is a big fighting game player, so she's gone to several conventions/tournaments in full cosplay, with masks to hide who she is.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Kelp Me! posted:

A world-famous MMA fighter is apparently a high-level player in some random MMO

It's awful the deranged things people will do when they're kicked in the head professionally.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Did it ever get confirmed if Robin Williams was a goon?

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Unlikely but he was also a big WoW player.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

George H.W. oval office posted:

Pretty sure it was confirmed that Stephen Colbert is a goon.

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

George H.W. oval office posted:

He killed himself before it became bannable to tell someone to do that but still after the no rules Halloween.

Lysistrata
Sep 12, 2003
Anyone who truly believes he has friends is a fool.

RFC2324 posted:

Pretty sure it was confirmed that Stephen Colbert is a goon.

Was it, though? Because I remember way back when people were saying Jon Stewart was a goon, and I don't remember anyone coming up with any convincing evidence aside from "he said comedy gold once, obvs goon." The Colbert thing feels like another iteration of that, much as I'd love to believe it.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

my guess is that some of the writers for colbert and stewart were goons, or at least they were nerds steeped in internet subculture. it wasn't just the "comedy gold" thing either, often times they would have little references to jokes or things online

Lysistrata
Sep 12, 2003
Yeah, that's much more likely and what I always figured was going on at most. I mean, not to say they couldn't be goons, but goons have been trying to claim celebrities since the forums first started. It demands some skepticism if there isn't any hard proof.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Remember when you could catch a ban for improper punctuation and spelling in a thread about describing memorable shits you've taken?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
It's perfectly likely that some of the writers scour funny places for jokes to borrow

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Pick posted:

It's perfectly likely that some of the writers scour funny places for jokes to borrow

then what would they be doing here?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I assume that one or more of the writers for 30 Rock are/were goons, because Liz Lemon calls the writing crew "goons" in one episode, and the show has blatant references to both lemonparty and tubgirl.

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

no one who has called themselves a goon has done anything positive in this world

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

bunky posted:

no one who has called themselves a goon has done anything positive in this world

I picked up a guy hitchhiking on I-20 when I was 21, took him to my mom's house and gave him food. He was really grateful and just walked away.

Maybe that's not postitive, but at the time I thought it was.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

well i gave three bucks to a homeless guy on monday

Lysistrata
Sep 12, 2003
Truly this is the pinnacle of goon achievement.

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

my point was that the term "goon" is goofy and dated, but thanks for patting yourselves on the back for doing regular things

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008
Terry Crews spent thousands of dollars building his own gaming PC, so we can chalk him up as another unlikely nerd.

People have unusual hobbies all the time. One of the directors where I work is a gym fanatic ex-bodybuilder who's super into EVE. My friend's sweet cake-baking grandma only gave up her chopper motorcycle when her vision got bad. People are complex, and a retired cop being into playing a pretty mainstream videogame really isn't surprising.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

gnarlyhotep posted:

I picked up a guy hitchhiking on I-20 when I was 21, took him to my mom's house and gave him food. He was really grateful and just walked away.

Maybe that's not postitive, but at the time I thought it was.

Do you have the picture that dude mspainted of how you picked up a cat at his house cause I remember finding it really funny for some reason

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I remember hearing that both John Malkovich and Steve Martin were goons. The one story I heard was at a Steve Martin autograph session (maybe it was for a book or something), someone asked him if he had stairs in his house, and without missing a beat, as he signs the guy's book/picture/whatever, he looks up at him, passes the thing back, smiles, and says 'I am protected'.

I am 99% sure that never happened.

That 1% is still holding on to a shred of hope...

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

I remember hearing that both John Malkovich and Steve Martin were goons. The one story I heard was at a Steve Martin autograph session (maybe it was for a book or something), someone asked him if he had stairs in his house, and without missing a beat, as he signs the guy's book/picture/whatever, he looks up at him, passes the thing back, smiles, and says 'I am protected'.

I am 99% sure that never happened.

That 1% is still holding on to a shred of hope...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHsDKqKE_kc

tell me that man isn't pure strain gbs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Sagebrush posted:

I assume that one or more of the writers for 30 Rock are/were goons, because Liz Lemon calls the writing crew "goons" in one episode, and the show has blatant references to both lemonparty and tubgirl.

First episode I watched was a Christmas one, and there's the line "You can't have a Lemon party without old Dick!"