Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Monathin posted:

See, yeah, I'm the opposite. I can do streams easy-peasy because I have two monitors and I'm at my computer for most of the day when I'm not at work, but I basically have no time for podcasts that last beyond like, an hour and a half, and the Best Friend Cast pushes four sometimes. I love the dumb tangents, but I think they try to cover way too much drat stuff and it turns into a day-long gauntlet.

Shorten or cut The Week, I feel like, since that's where most of the derailing tends to happen and they sometimes only get through like, half of it before they cut for sponsor break. That alone would probably save like an hour depending on the time cut.
The podcast is their most popular thing though, isn't it? Kinda like how the bombcast for giant bomb is far and away the biggest thing for them. I'm sure the long length of it helps it's popularity.

I like the sbfc being long, it greatly helps me at work, and their dumb tangents have led me to learning about lots of new and neat stuff to look up. Not restricting them to a shorter time lets them ramble which is often fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
You guys reminded me of the Blitzcast, I think it was for one of the big game shows.

Justice Sloth
Jun 10, 2012

Damn skippy.

Captain Invictus posted:

The podcast is their most popular thing though, isn't it?

I'm not sure of the actual statistics for this, but I too think changing the formula of what made the podcast popular would be a mistake, it's not like there are that many well-known 3 hour podcasts out there besides the Giant Bombcast, and it'd be a shame to homogenise into what is generally considered normal for a podcast, purely for convenience. That said, I am considerably biased, as one episode of the Friendcast barely covers 3 short dog-walks for me, which comprise the bulk of my otherwise silent downtime.

The McElroy brothers are podcasters first and LPers/Vidya enthusiasts second, and each of them runs an individual podcast with their respective SOs, as well as their main 3-man podcast (MBMBaM) and a less frequent DnD podcast with their dad. And something they've done to offset this problem on MBMBaM, in the event of one or more brothers being missing, is a "Best of" episode of all their previous episodes. The SBFC has more than enough content to start something similar, and so an hour of Best of Best Friends could replace the regularly scheduled podcast when the need arises, as well as serve as a 'sampler' for people intimidated by the 200-odd episodes that already exist.

Depths
Apr 15, 2009

SENPAI
If their podcast wasnt entertaining, i wouldnt be listening to 3+ hours of it every week.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Tae posted:

3 hour meaty podcasts are good, except when they have guests because it's usually trying to squeeze blood out of water

1 hour podcasts are bad, look at waypoint's austin walker who barely can say anything and get through maybe 1 email question before bolting which sucks.

Hour long podcasts are great, I love Retsutalk.

Never really could get into the SBF's podcasts though.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
From Paige's stream: Like a surprised ghost.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
Pat's the Solid Snake of eating candy

https://clips.twitch.tv/angriestpat/AdventurousRabbitBCouch

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

"Rouge said 'cool' and took out her vagina."

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I loving love this stupid goofy couple. They are absolutely hilarious together.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Justice Sloth posted:

it'd be a shame to homogenise into what is generally considered normal for a podcast, purely for convenience.

3+ hour podcasts are only considered normal two people who listen to nothing but nerds-bullshit-around-a-mic" podcasts and pretty much all of them could be cuy way the hell down without being "homogonised".

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

There is no couple more perfect for one another than those two. Paige is literally just Female Pat.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

3+ hour podcasts are only considered normal two people who listen to nothing but nerds-bullshit-around-a-mic" podcasts and pretty much all of them could be cuy way the hell down without being "homogonised".

There is no need to get upset because some people enjoy long podcasts, friend.

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
I love the podcast length cause I listen to it in chunks and by the time I'm done one the new one comes out the next day more or less.

Also I really gotta try and catch one of Pat's streams, I watched some of the one on the channel and having Paige around to both bullshit with him and keep eye on chat for stuff seems like a solid combo.

Depths
Apr 15, 2009

SENPAI
Chocolate oranges are really loving tasty

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Captain Invictus posted:

There is no need to get upset because some people enjoy long podcasts, friend.

And some people do not. 3 hours is a long time

Justice Sloth
Jun 10, 2012

Damn skippy.

3+ hour podcasts are only considered normal two people who

Did you even read my post, friend? Are you sure you know what homogenise means? It literally means, "to make uniform or similar" as in, to make a 3 hour podcast more similar to podcasts in general, which are typically shorter. I never implied that I think a 3hour duration is normal at any point, and even gave that as part of my reasoning for why it's something relatively unique to the friendcast and therefore worth preserving.

Justice Sloth fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Dec 19, 2016

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Justice Sloth posted:

Did you even read my post, friend? Are you sure you know what homogenise means? It literally means, "to make uniform or similar" as in, to make a 3 hour podcast more similar to podcasts in general, which are typically shorter. You just got mad in the process of telling me what I was already saying.

I missed the word "into" so no, I totally didn't read what you wrote, my bad.

Even so, they could easily condense the podcast without diluting what people like about it but they never will because most of them are too lazy to make the effort or simply don't care to.

I'm singling out the podcast because it's the most low-effort thing they do and therefore the easiest to change if they so wanted to but really, their whole channel's in a rut and it's not hard to see why someone might lose interest in it.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Even so, they could easily condense the podcast without diluting what people like about it but they never will because most of them are too lazy to make the effort or simply don't care to.

I'm singling out the podcast because it's the most low-effort thing they do and therefore the easiest to change if they so wanted to but really, their whole channel's in a rut and it's not hard to see why someone might lose interest in it.
You should go away then if you're so dissatisfied.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Liam and woolie don't think the gba had many good games

Still the worst duo

Justice Sloth
Jun 10, 2012

Damn skippy.

Tae posted:

Still the worst duo
"What are you talking about? The gba had good games, suck my dick. it was like a little snes in the palm of your hand, gently caress you."

It's cool, everybody rushes sometimes.

Justice Sloth fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Dec 19, 2016

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Captain Invictus posted:

That's an extremely childish position to take.

Justice Sloth
Jun 10, 2012

Damn skippy.

Captain Invictus posted:

I'm not gonna pretend I agree with them, or that their attitude about it is great, but this is the SBFP discussion thread. If this isn't the place for dissenting opinions, then where else?

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I think more scripted stuff would have been a brilliant shot in the arm for the channel. There's not been much for a long time, and it was some of the most memorable content they made. If it's true that the other three just couldn't be bothered then that is a real shame.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I mean, I don't want to accuse Woolie of destroying the channel from the inside-out, but the channel was born from him not wanting to do a scripted thing of acting angry at a videogame.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Oh my god I forgot that Woolie always calls The World Ends With You "Subarashiki"

e: the GB thread has a discord server so I don't know why this just occurred to me, but here's a SBFP thread discord server
https://discord.gg/SRGtPNN

Rody One Half fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Dec 19, 2016

Scratch-O
Apr 27, 2009

My goodness!

Rodyle posted:

Oh my god I forgot that Woolie always calls The World Ends With You "Subarashiki"

Christ. Isn't TWEWY's translation usually considered really good? I guess all the subtleties of the scene where the partner girl suddenly demands the main character take off his shorts, or the part where the main character gets really obsessed with beating grade-schoolers at a Beyblade ripoff, were too nuanced to come across in anything but the original nihongo.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Scratch-O posted:

Christ. Isn't TWEWY's translation usually considered really good? I guess all the subtleties of the scene where the partner girl suddenly demands the main character take off his shorts, or the part where the main character gets really obsessed with beating grade-schoolers at a Beyblade ripoff, were too nuanced to come across in anything but the original nihongo.

I've said it before: Liam looks the part but Woolie is secretly the biggest weeb on the channel.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Woolie is absolutely the biggest weeb, but Liam is also very close

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The secret stopped being a secret once he forced the naruto lp to be in japanese

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Uh no that was last year during the Danganronpa LP

Seshoho Cian
Jul 26, 2010

Tae posted:

Still the worst duo

gently caress You, The Game Boy Advance Had Good Games

Suck My Dick

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Captain Invictus posted:

Like Matt!

Brutakas
Oct 10, 2012

Farewell, marble-dwellers!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwPLnFs63cU

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
The Titanfall LP's finally up BTW.

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009

Krazyface posted:

The Titanfall LP's finally up BTW.

poo poo, I can't watch it until I buy it and play it. Luckily that should be in a week or so!

Justice Sloth
Jun 10, 2012

Damn skippy.

Captain Baal posted:

Woolie is absolutely the biggest weeb, but Liam is also very close

Liam's perceived weeb-level is superficial, like one of those non-venomous snakes that mimics the coloration of a deadlier species.

It's formed of a coincidental marriage of his enjoyment of Japanese entertainment and his extreme tolerance for tedium, whereas Woolie is just full-on entrenched in his nostalgia for early 90s japanimation.

Depths
Apr 15, 2009

SENPAI

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?
I don't know how anyone can observe Woolie for more than ten minutes and not figure out he was That Guy in the anime club.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Justice Sloth posted:

Liam's perceived weeb-level is superficial, like one of those non-venomous snakes that mimics the coloration of a deadlier species.

It's formed of a coincidental marriage of his enjoyment of Japanese entertainment and his extreme tolerance for tedium, whereas Woolie is just full-on entrenched in his nostalgia for early 90s japanimation.

I would bring up Liam playing almost all Japanese games in Japanese even when there are good dubs, but even he's willing to admit his preference on japanese dubs is whatever because he doesn't understand the language. Woolie is flat out one of those dudes who sits there and gets mad about English dubs, like the disdain he tried to contain the one time they were talking about the JoJo dub had me smiling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Did that happen when the first two parts were released or for the test dub of SC?

Honestly you just gotta learn to forget whatever Jojo memes you were attached to and embrace the new hotness that is amazing/amazingly bad foreign accents.