Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003
Marinade/rub for a pork picnic?

I'm cooking a pork picnic (shoulder) using this Serious Eats recipe. It's pretty simple: 8 hours at 250 degrees, then a blast at 500 degrees to crisp the skin. I've cooked it plenty of times and got it down well.

I need some ideas for flavoring, though. The recipe recommends just using salt and pepper, then serving a bunch of sauces at the table. That works, but I'd like to give the pork (and the drippings) a little more flavor. I've used dry rubs (mostly Penzey's BBQ 3000 and Chili 3000) to great effect. What if I used a wet marinade?

I'm thinking of soaking pineapple chunks in either soy sauce or teryaki sauce, then sliding them under the skin before cooking. Would that seep into the meat and give it a nice sweet flavor? Or would the acid cause problems during cooking?

On a side note: Pork picnic is a godsend for people on a budget. Dirt cheap ($1 a pound, though a quarter of that is usually bone). Easy to cook (put it in the oven and come back 8 hours later). And after eating straight, you can make a dozen dishes from it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

I'd just salt it liberally the day before then pat as dry as possible if you're looking for crispy skin.

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

Our family likes to rub it down liberally with adobo and cayenne and let it sit in the overnight. Tghtly wrapped. We also stab it a bunch and stuff a garlic clove in each hole.

Works great on the grill, oven, slow cooker...

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Ciaphas posted:

Last time I tried grilling wings I made a soft squidgy mess
My tips - Use a bigger wing, the smaller wings can get caught in the grates (heck don't even split the drum from the flat), and indirect heat is a must or you'll be fighting fires and flare ups.

dead lettuce
Sep 12, 2014

Will I ruin puff pastry if I try to combine two sheets into one? The recipe calls for two 1 pound sheets, I have four half pound sheets. Can I lay one on top of the other like a sandwich and just roll them together? I'm making a tarte soleil, if it matters.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

dead lettuce posted:

Will I ruin puff pastry if I try to combine two sheets into one? The recipe calls for two 1 pound sheets, I have four half pound sheets. Can I lay one on top of the other like a sandwich and just roll them together? I'm making a tarte soleil, if it matters.

Sure, you'll obviously get more layers but that's a good thing when it comes to puff pastry.

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Did somebody call about a Ravager problem?
So I'm making my own tomato pasta sauce for the first time, and I'm a little unsure how to calibrate the taste. Do I just add spices while the whole batch simmers and hope I don't gently caress it up, or is there some way to separate out a bit and add spices there? I only have the one can and it's 17F outside so I can't really try again right away if I do ruin it, but I have piles and piles of dried spices with only a hint of how to use them all.

This is like, the most basic rear end question, I'm sure, but I'm really late to the whole cooking game and am trying to do my best to minimize food losses to gently caress ups. :v:

Momma always just bought Ragu, so I never really learned this from anyone and don't have any clue what I'm going for except that I know I want it to be more savory than sweet, and hopefully not too acidic.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

zxqv8 posted:

So I'm making my own tomato pasta sauce for the first time, and I'm a little unsure how to calibrate the taste. Do I just add spices while the whole batch simmers and hope I don't gently caress it up, or is there some way to separate out a bit and add spices there? I only have the one can and it's 17F outside so I can't really try again right away if I do ruin it, but I have piles and piles of dried spices with only a hint of how to use them all.

This is like, the most basic rear end question, I'm sure, but I'm really late to the whole cooking game and am trying to do my best to minimize food losses to gently caress ups. :v:

Momma always just bought Ragu, so I never really learned this from anyone and don't have any clue what I'm going for except that I know I want it to be more savory than sweet, and hopefully not too acidic.

Adjust a little at a time, add a little, like a small pinch or so first and less with later additions and let it simmer a bit then taste and adjust. Tomato sauce is really difficult to overcook, just remember to keep it at a low simmer and add some water if it starts to get really thick from reducing to prevent it from burning on the bottom, if it tastes a little harsh add a pinch of sugar but go light on it since you don't want it to be oversweet. Do you have chopped onions and minced garlic in there? I ask because you said you only have "one can" so I'm not sure what all you are putting into this. As far as spices to add Basil, Oregano, Thyme, Rosemary and Sage can all work well, but others like a Bay leaf or if you don't have fresh onion and garlic then onion powder(not onion salt) and garlic powder can be good additions, though they are different from their fresh counterparts, especially the onion powder, still a good flavor though. Also don't ask yourself "Can I taste what I just added?" or "Did I add enough?" ask yourself "Did that taste good?"

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Adjust a little at a time, add a little, like a small pinch or so first and less with later additions and let it simmer a bit then taste and adjust. Tomato sauce is really difficult to overcook, just remember to keep it at a low simmer and add some water if it starts to get really thick from reducing to prevent it from burning on the bottom, if it tastes a little harsh add a pinch of sugar but go light on it since you don't want it to be oversweet. Do you have chopped onions and minced garlic in there? I ask because you said you only have "one can" so I'm not sure what all you are putting into this. As far as spices to add Basil, Oregano, Thyme, Rosemary and Sage can all work well, but others like a Bay leaf or if you don't have fresh onion and garlic then onion powder(not onion salt) and garlic powder can be good additions, though they are different from their fresh counterparts, especially the onion powder, still a good flavor though. Also don't ask yourself "Can I taste what I just added?" or "Did I add enough?" ask yourself "Did that taste good?"

One can of tomatoes. And I'm using mostly dried ingredients because this is just kinda off the cuff. But that pretty much answers my question, so thanks! I figured it was probably something like this, but a lack of experience is a bastard!

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
Would it make sense to brush butter between the pastries?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Rurutia posted:

Would it make sense to brush butter between the pastries?

Not really, I think it has more potential to mess something up than help.

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

I did it! I made a sauce!

I definitely need practice (it was spicier than I intended), but I didn't burn it or ruin all the food!

:woop:

What are good ways to reduce the spiciness of something if you over did it a bit? I tried a bit of dairy but it didn't seem to take much of the edge off and I didn't want to overload it.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

zxqv8 posted:

I did it! I made a sauce!

I definitely need practice (it was spicier than I intended), but I didn't burn it or ruin all the food!

:woop:

What are good ways to reduce the spiciness of something if you over did it a bit? I tried a bit of dairy but it didn't seem to take much of the edge off and I didn't want to overload it.

Congrats!

There isn't a lot you can do without also screwing up the flavor, as long as the heat is not completely overwhelming everything else it should work in whatever dish you are using it in, it will also mellow a bit just by sitting around.

crowtribe
Apr 2, 2013

I'm noice, therefore I am.
Grimey Drawer
My fiance and I have so many pots and pans, and I'm one of those people who likes to throw poo poo out constantly to 'declutter' my life.

Is it worth ditching some of the crap and replacing say, the slow cooker and a pot and steamer basket with a decent electric pressure cooker? Can I get rid of my bamboo steamers and do Chinese dumplings in a pressure cooker at all?

I've got 2 woks, only 1 has a lid but is the smaller of the two, 1 saucepan with lid, 1 saucepan and steamer basket with lid, 2 cast iron pans, a cast iron dutch oven, a grooved griddle, a frypan with no lid, a slow cooker and some baking pans. Current kitchen design limits cupboard space and poo poo is getting precariously stacked and annoying me.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
I have some really lovely wild rice from a neighbouring indigenous community (I guess you'd Indian reservation in the US) but I'm not sure what the water to rice ratio should be for cooking. 2:1?
I'd like to make it with some cranberries and celery for Christmas but can't find really good cooking instructions anywhere and all I know how to do is pop it.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I have a recipe that calls for 4 extra-large eggs. I have large eggs. Is there a convenient ratio I can use to convert? Should I just do 5 large?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I would just use 4 eggs.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I've paid no attention to specified egg sizes in any recipe ever and never noticed a problem.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

54 40 or gently caress posted:

I have some really lovely wild rice from a neighbouring indigenous community (I guess you'd Indian reservation in the US) but I'm not sure what the water to rice ratio should be for cooking. 2:1?
I'd like to make it with some cranberries and celery for Christmas but can't find really good cooking instructions anywhere and all I know how to do is pop it.
If you're ever unsure about rice, you can always cook it like pasta: lots of water, boil until done, drain.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

What's the name of the Japanese condiment(?) made from nori, sesame seeds, maybe bonito flakes, mixed together, briefly dried in the oven, then ground up?

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year

Anjow posted:

What's the name of the Japanese condiment(?) made from nori, sesame seeds, maybe bonito flakes, mixed together, briefly dried in the oven, then ground up?

Furikake?

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

Anjow posted:

Futanari

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

it's this one, GIS will confirm it

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

JawKnee posted:

Ain't this sort of joke rather old hat

(:nws: as hell for those who don't know)

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

crowtribe posted:

My fiance and I have so many pots and pans, and I'm one of those people who likes to throw poo poo out constantly to 'declutter' my life.

Is it worth ditching some of the crap and replacing say, the slow cooker and a pot and steamer basket with a decent electric pressure cooker? Can I get rid of my bamboo steamers and do Chinese dumplings in a pressure cooker at all?

I've got 2 woks, only 1 has a lid but is the smaller of the two, 1 saucepan with lid, 1 saucepan and steamer basket with lid, 2 cast iron pans, a cast iron dutch oven, a grooved griddle, a frypan with no lid, a slow cooker and some baking pans. Current kitchen design limits cupboard space and poo poo is getting precariously stacked and annoying me.
Put a bright coloured bit of tape on each item. Take it off when you use the item. At the end of a pre-determined period, dig out everything that still has tape on it and get rid of it. Maybe give it two weeks, or a month? Anything you don't use at least once in a month is clearly not something you need*. This solves the problem of us trying to guess how much you need a pressure cooker in your life, or a lid for each and every pot & pan.

* Does not apply to holiday-specific items that by their nature only get used once per year.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I want to make stuffing for Christmas dinner. We're having ham as the meat. I wanted to do this Apple craisin onion goat cheese mix I stuffed a pork loin with once but I forgot the recipe and I'm not sure if it would go with ham (I realize they're both pork)

Any suggestions? We're having the normal midwestern sides. Mashed potatoes, green bean casserole, rolls, etc.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Bob Morales posted:

I want to make stuffing for Christmas dinner. We're having ham as the meat. I wanted to do this Apple craisin onion goat cheese mix I stuffed a pork loin with once but I forgot the recipe and I'm not sure if it would go with ham (I realize they're both pork)

Any suggestions? We're having the normal midwestern sides. Mashed potatoes, green bean casserole, rolls, etc.

Chestnut stuffing is great with ham. You should be able to find them in stores still.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Ciaphas posted:

Ain't this sort of joke rather old hat

(:nws: as hell for those who don't know)

:lol: if your work hasn't blocked SA already

Lurid and Tastless Content

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

I worked at a place that blocked any retailers that sold bras, while SA was unblocked.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Anyone have any experiences with an air fryer? Only using enough oil that you need and not having to deal with excess oil seems like a good deal if I want to fry stuff.

JawKnee posted:

Why do these anime babes have penises drawn on them?

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Guys, what do you think is the best instant noodle brands? Seeking some opinions. :)

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Leal posted:

Anyone have any experiences with an air fryer? Only using enough oil that you need and not having to deal with excess oil seems like a good deal if I want to fry stuff.

Mrs. Squashy bought one last summer. We've done very little "air frying" in it, but we've had a lot of fun. Think of it as a tiny convection oven, that's all it really is.

It's AMAZING at heating up frozen deep fried stuff, that's it's real strength. I'd never really bought that stuff before, but a few months back I went nuts and bought a bunch of different fried stuff to try out, and they all came out amazing. The Walgreens branded fried pickle chips are loving awesome, and I never would have bought that without the air fryer.

Of course, it works great with frozen french fries, too. We've never tried making fries from scratch, as we just don't eat a lot of fries.
Probably our favorite use for it is personal pizzas, they bake up great.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Tired Moritz posted:

Guys, what do you think is the best instant noodle brands? Seeking some opinions. :)

What kind of instant noodles? Like asian Nongshim Shin Ramyun Black?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Squashy Nipples posted:

Probably our favorite use for it is personal pizzas, they bake up great.

This is actually very tempting. When you did cook frozen fried food did they taste as good as if you put them into a traditional deep fryer?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Flaggy posted:

Curious if anyone has a good Pad Se-Ew recipe. I looked online and made a couple but was disappointed with the end results.

try this:

http://shesimmers.com/2010/06/pad-see-ew-recipe-how-to-make-pad-see.html

she mentions that you might have problems due to not getting it hot enough cause most stoves don't get hot enough.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)

Ranter posted:

What kind of instant noodles? Like asian Nongshim Shin Ramyun Black?

Uh, I have no idea what words you just typed.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Nongshim is the brand. Shin Ramyun Black is the higher-end version which run about $1.79 on Amazon with Prime, or $1.99 to $2.50 in brick and mortar stores. It's the best instant ramen you can get.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
Oh, well the chances of me finding that kind of stuff is pretty low but I'll keep that in mind. :)

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

You'd be surprised, one of the meh groceries here in the mid west has their spicy in the ethnic isle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
You don't have Amazon? It's cheaper than the stores.

https://www.amazon.com/Nongshim-Shi...in+ramyun+black for a smaller 10 pack

or https://www.amazon.com/Nongshim-Shi...un%2Bblack&th=1 for 18 which is better value.

Bald Stalin fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Dec 19, 2016