Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Smythe posted:

not sure dude no xp in that field. good luck tho

:lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

Bloody posted:

worst parts of hft are probably that you might have to write c or verilog

Writing C for your job is actually p. cool

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

mishaq posted:

the cool & good thing about hft is it spurs a bunch of investment and r&d into telecom poo poo

i cracked the gently caress up when i first learned these psychos set up nyc-chicago microwave networks because they have lower latency than fiber

same. that said hft is merely a result of capitalism. kill the beast, and your concerns about hft, become the secret to full communism now.

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

i feel like i need to start an ngo to donate dignity to echopenises conquests.

for just $1 a day you can save the dignity of a sheep in New Zealand :scotland:

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

St Evan Echoes posted:

i live in europe so it's more like staying behind until 11pm because the nyse opened and everything went to hell

Nyse!

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Bloody posted:

worst parts of hft are probably that you might have to write c or verilog
p sure reading J is worse than either of those

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
Btw bloody don't let "do what you :love:" horseshit hold you back, it's ok to have long term goals and press them when the opportunity presents, but on a small scale you should decide which of your proven skills right now have the potential to carry you in that direction _and_ get you a job now, and focus your resume accordingly

Gazpacho fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Dec 18, 2016

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

we don't really plan for interviews until 15min before the candidate shows up, and sometimes the hr guy is busy so they have to come back again of we like them

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

I designed some structured interview stuff the other day and now they're using it for people who are looking for jobs in other parts of the company after being made redundant

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Gazpacho posted:

Btw bloody don't let "do what you :love:" horseshit hold you back, it's ok to have long term goals and press them when the opportunity presents, but on a small scale you should decide which of your proven skills right now have the potential to carry you in that direction _and_ get you a job now, and focus your resume accordingly

this is good advice

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

Gazpacho posted:

you can always do what one of my excoworkers did and lobby hard for projects in areas you want to learn, half-complete them, and leave the company for the job you want, forcing everyone else to pick up your slack

Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

:golgo:
EVERYONE EXCEPT THE HOT WOMEN
:golgo:

Plank Walker posted:

you can always do what one of my excoworkers did and lobby hard for projects in areas you want to learn, half-complete them, and leave the company for the job you want, forcing everyone else to pick up your slack

my last job was sorta like this but it was an old supervisor hitting me up and going 'hey, do you want this job where you work 9-5 M-F, real benefits, and never get called outside of work?' haha later suckers

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
i had an interview last week for a government agency job. because its for the public sector theres documentation with the names of the 10 people in the committee that will pick the people to get the job. this is the last week of interviews theyll do and the decision will be taken in january.

i found 4 of the 10 or so on linkedin. some were on my interview and some were not. im planning to send them a friends request/thank you for the interview note. would you do it

poty
Jun 21, 2008

also id answer one question from one of them. he asked me what library we used to do x at my job and i didnt remember the name

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

poty posted:

im planning to send them a friends request/thank you for the interview note. would you do it

i would do it if i wanted to let them know im a cyberstalker and not get the job, yeah

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

that second idea seems good though

poty
Jun 21, 2008

BONGHITZ posted:

that second idea seems good though

so i only add the guy who asked me the question? i think itd make sense to also add the president of the committee he wasnt at the interview and i dont think hed care he has 500+ contacts

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

Plank Walker posted:

oh did we work with the same guy

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Plank Walker posted:

:owned:

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

Plank Walker posted:

Tatsujin posted:

my last job was sorta like this but it was an old supervisor hitting me up and going 'hey, do you want this job where you work 9-5 M-F, real benefits, and never get called outside of work?' haha later suckers

if any of the halfassed projects I started on were still there when you were im sorry but they should have been good and dead by then

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
this thread stresses me the gently caress out

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

poty posted:

so i only add the guy who asked me the question? i think itd make sense to also add the president of the committee he wasnt at the interview and i dont think hed care he has 500+ contacts

I have no idea, linkedin is weird and dumb. Just do it, it shows drive or something

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Dongslayer. posted:

this thread stresses me the gently caress out
this thread makes me want to get back into doing interview loops to get more familiar with being on that side of it

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Elysiume posted:

this thread makes me want to get back into doing interview loops to get more familiar with being on that side of it

opposite because I'm a mean interviewer and I hope I don't get someone like me when I'm being interviewed

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
casually mentioned that I was looking to my dell enterprise rep at lunch a few weeks ago (known him a long time through a couple of jobs), and now I've got lunch lined up tomorrow with the hiring manager of a growing consulting company tomorrow to casually discuss what my role would look like, etc.

sure i'll let you buy me lunch while you try to convince me to come work for you

feels good man

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

poty posted:

i had an interview last week for a government agency job. because its for the public sector theres documentation with the names of the 10 people in the committee that will pick the people to get the job. this is the last week of interviews theyll do and the decision will be taken in january.

i found 4 of the 10 or so on linkedin. some were on my interview and some were not. im planning to send them a friends request/thank you for the interview note. would you do it

anytime anyone has ever written me a follow up email (back when we used to give out business cards to interviewees), it was weird and I thought less of that person. yes, I know you can look up and figure out the answer to something I asked you in an interview. I'm not sure what telling me that after the fact is supposed to prove. it's not like if I was on the fence it changes my mind. you just become the guy that wrote me that awkward email.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

The Management posted:

you just become the guy that stalked me on linkedin and wrote me that awkward email.

ftfy

contacting people that haven't given you their contact info isn't cool

it's like sending a facebook friend request to a girl you met in passing

after furiously masturbating to her profile picture of course

mekkanare
Sep 12, 2008
We have detected you are using ad blocking software.

Please add us to your whitelist to view this content.

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

no its not. if you can't fly in to take the test in person there's licensed proctoring facilities around the country you go to. unless you were applying at the game company.

Late reply, but yes for the Summer Internship it involved using a Web Camera and remote desktop software.
It was several parts, including the pseudo-language which was actually MUMPs questions as mentioned earlier.

I can see being loud as a problem, but I figured that I could ask the guy watching me questions. Guess not.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

mishaq posted:

ftfy

contacting people that haven't given you their contact info isn't cool

it's like sending a facebook friend request to a girl you met in passing

after furiously masturbating to her profile picture of course

hmm im getting mixed signals

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

poty posted:

hmm im getting mixed signals

Seriously don't do it.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

if i dont get the job im gonna blame you guys

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

if you dont get the job either you werent the right fit in their mind or someone else was better

sending unsolicited emails to people that werent even present during your interview will do nothing to improve your chances, but may definitely hurt them

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
"We're afraid you just aren't a good, err, culture fit, if you will. Thanks for your time."

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

mekkanare posted:

Late reply, but yes for the Summer Internship it involved using a Web Camera and remote desktop software.
It was several parts, including the pseudo-language which was actually MUMPs questions as mentioned earlier.

I can see being loud as a problem, but I figured that I could ask the guy watching me questions. Guess not.

that explains a lot. i dont think of ever heard of them getting an intern that wasn't from UW madison. if you're not already in town there's almost 0 chance youre getting an internship, so im unsurprised they didnt spend money to send you somewhere. sorry to hear it messed up your job plans though.

bone app the teeth
May 14, 2008

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

"We're afraid you just aren't a good, err, culture fit, if you will. Thanks for your time."

you aren't quite single early 20s white bearded dude enough for us

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

some jerk scheduled me for an interview at 9 am next week. gross.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

bone app the teeth posted:

you aren't quite single early 20s white bearded dude enough for us

please rank these p-languages on the following scale: "Crucial", "Clutch", "It Is What It Is", "Problematic", or "Vader At Mustafar"

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

please rank these p-languages on the following scale: "Crucial", "Clutch", "It Is What It Is", "Problematic", or "Vader At Mustafar"

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Jonny 290 posted:

*just writes php for all of these with a feeling of resignation*

• Locked thread