Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
My parents are both luddites basically. I don't think my mother has ever used a computer in her entire life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

just saying

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Yes

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Hollismason posted:

My parents are both luddites basically. I don't think my mother has ever used a computer in her entire life.

my mother got by for an unreasonably long time by asking her students to create posters and documents by giving them the data and telling them how it should look, but by the early 2000's sending people physical letters was becoming untenable and she didn't want to hand her correspondences over to the students as well so she signed up for community college classes in how to computer good.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

his forehead is too big

it's like a drive in theater screen

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
My parents are very not well off right now. Currently I am trying to from several states away get them signed up for SNAP and Medicaid. My mom got new medicine and can't afford it on Medicare.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

his forehead is too big

got more forehead real estate on that dome than larry lessig

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Badger of Basra posted:

I mean I could adopt

that's adopting kids, not having them

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

mandatory lesbian posted:

that's adopting kids, not having them

i meant having in the sense of how you have a thing rather than giving birth

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

his forehead is too big

the better to carve your name in it so everyone knows hes yours

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Badger of Basra posted:

i meant having in the sense of how you have a thing rather than giving birth

k

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
billy bat suffers the same curse as the dark tower by starting with this ominous and grand feeling that can't possibly by sustained over the course of an entire sprawling work. it keeps up the middle decently well, but things start getting a bit bogged down and the ending is a bit flat. still much better executed than the dark tower

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

but they bought a cpu that can't overclock and then shelled out extra for an overclock capable motherboard. there has to be some way to tell them. also they chose the wrong form factor for their ssd, but that is just me being petty

that's kinda silly but tbqh there's really no need to overclock these days beyond being able to show off your prime95 results to the rest of the dorks at the tomshardware forums, any current gen quad-core intel cpu will be more than fast enough to handle whatever

the only real thing to gripe about is buying a new computer right before kaby lake stuff goes on sale

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

billy bat suffers the same curse as the dark tower by starting with this ominous and grand feeling that can't possibly by sustained over the course of an entire sprawling work. it keeps up the middle decently well, but things start getting a bit bogged down and the ending is a bit flat. still much better executed than the dark tower

is there a reason you're comparing these two specifically, are they both fantasy or what?

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

The Muppets On PCP posted:

that's kinda silly but tbqh there's really no need to overclock these days beyond being able to show off your prime95 results to the rest of the dorks at the tomshardware forums, any current gen quad-core intel cpu will be more than fast enough to handle whatever

the only real thing to gripe about is buying a new computer right before kaby lake stuff goes on sale

yeah for sure overclocking doesn't yield the same kind of benefits it used to, but if that's was his reasoning he could have just paid less for a board not marketed to people planning to overclock

mandatory lesbian posted:

is there a reason you're comparing these two specifically, are they both fantasy or what?

both have really intriguing beginnings with mysterious and kind of haunting elements followed by the series slowly explaining those elements over many chapters which will inevitably be lackluster compared to the earlier implicit promises. it's just the comparison that came to mind, though you could also compare it to something like lost, or twin peaks or whatever

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

his forehead is too big

I can sympathize.:smith:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

his forehead is too big

In my country we have a saying: "Big head: small brain, small head: no brain."

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Modern? Where's the mayos?!?

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
the climate change thread is good

Accretionist posted:

If any of you are experiencing Climate Change-related suicidal-ideation then you should probably stop following this thread.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Like that it's veered off into complete defeatism.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "
Tomorrow is our bar's employee / best patrons' Christmas Party. It is my eighth or ninth and I haven't died yet, but the flesh grows weak.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
https://twitter.com/ceejoyner/status/809834132360597504

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

mooyashi posted:

Tomorrow is our bar's employee / best patrons' Christmas Party. It is my eighth or ninth and I haven't died yet, but the flesh grows weak.

I remember when I was a young king drunk I just sort of stuck around at a night club after they closed (I was sitting behind a pillar and didn't notice the place was closing before they turned off the lights) for New Year's and drank champagne with the employees and the owner came in and asked why the gently caress a customer was still there and the bouncers told him throwing me out would've felt like throwing the furniture out so he just went :shrug: and it was a nice night. Welp that's my drinking story thanks for reading.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
good:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDb8tlb-2y8

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Noh is often based on tales from traditional literature with a supernatural being transformed into human form as a hero narrating a story. Noh integrates masks, costumes and various props in a dance-based performance, requiring highly trained actors and musicians. Emotions are primarily conveyed by stylized conventional gestures while the iconic masks represent the roles such as ghosts, women, children, and old people. Written in ancient Japanese language, the text "vividly describes the ordinary people of the twelfth to sixteenth centuries".[attribution needed][3] Having a strong emphasis on tradition rather than innovation, Noh is extremely codified and regulated by the iemoto system.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

??????????

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Cease to Hope posted:

Noh is often based on tales from traditional literature with a supernatural being transformed into human form as a hero narrating a story. Noh integrates masks, costumes and various props in a dance-based performance, requiring highly trained actors and musicians. Emotions are primarily conveyed by stylized conventional gestures while the iconic masks represent the roles such as ghosts, women, children, and old people. Written in ancient Japanese language, the text "vividly describes the ordinary people of the twelfth to sixteenth centuries".[attribution needed][3] Having a strong emphasis on tradition rather than innovation, Noh is extremely codified and regulated by the iemoto system.
"But to think is an act of choice. The key to what you so recklessly call 'human nature,' the open secret you live with, yet dread to name, is the fact that man is a being of volitional consciousness. Reason does not work automatically; thinking is not a mechanical process; the connections of logic are not made by instinct. The function of your stomach, lungs or heart is automatic; the function of your mind is not. In any hour and issue of your life, you are free to think or to evade that effort. But you are not free to escape from your nature, from the fact that reason is your means of survival-so that for you, who are a human being, the question 'to be or not to be' is the question 'to' think or not to think.'

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

vanyaaaa :ohdear:

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Avs, how's the miracle chick?

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

The Muppets On PCP posted:

The tension between these two camps can be seen, albeit to a lesser extent, between Hillary Clinton and Bernie Sanders. Mrs. Clinton infamously said half of a all Trump supporters are deplorable, while Mr. Sanders has refused to condemn them. In private, Mrs. Clinton has yearned for open borders, while Mr. Sanders publicly spoke out against them. On the campaign trail, Mrs. Clinton engaged in an unprecedented amount of groveling ethnomasochism, while Mr. Sanders largely mostly about economic issues.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

Pirate Radar posted:

Avs, how's the miracle chick?
oh, he didn't make it :( but he tried really hard and is now living it up in keet valhalla

here's a chick that's thriving:

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
https://twitter.com/aliarikan/status/810752588362776576

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

known identity-politics touchstones such as Climate, Clean Energy, Crime and Guns

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

If you missed the kurt eichenwald epilepsy drama you aren't going to get it

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

PupsOfWar posted:

known identity-politics touchstones such as Climate, Clean Energy, Crime and Guns

I love the scare quotes personally

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

the paradigm shift posted:

If you missed the kurt eichenwald epilepsy drama you aren't going to get it
ill pass then, i dont even know who kurt eichenwald is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
i'm a gun