Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Keg
Sep 22, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keg
Sep 22, 2014

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

http://i.imgur.com/ZTMYmZo.mp4

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

What the hell is he throwing off at the start? Looks like a body...

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

A bike.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

What the gently caress is going on there? It looks like he looks back and sees the train. Also I never thought I'd ever see a real life version of the dramatic action movie dive tackle rescue.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

I love fingerpori so much

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Dec 18, 2016

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Yeah, I found the full movie here: http://www.miscopy.com/1558/traffic/drunk-guy-save-certain-death-railway-worker/

Drunk guy trying to cross tracks with a bike, gets pissed and throws bike aside, then gets saved by a railway worker.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

drat, that dude has the ultimate "I'm a good dude" story and the video to back it up. He's never paying for his own drink again.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Glagha posted:

What the gently caress is going on there?

dramatic action movie dive tackle rescue.
A scripted, acted scene

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

A lovely composite :(

pictured: osha violations leading to deaths of hundreds of thousands of romulans

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Sion posted:

pictured: osha violations leading to deaths of hundreds of thousands of romulans

Ya this guy debunks it and shows how he made a similar video like 10 years ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLIAMt0wXzQ

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Sion posted:

Looking closely, you're right. The worker comes into full sun just as he cuts across the tracks to "save" the guy, yet there is no corresponding light on the train when it goes past the same spot. It's clearly been pasted in.

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

Default Settings posted:

That can't be the sole reason - as many accidents show, human aren't very good at noticing dangerous levels of carbon dioxide.
And it would be very easy to odorize nitrogen similarly like natural gas.

I'm answering this coming from construction. CO2 and N2 are both dangerous inert gases (guess we all know that) and in lab spaces they seem to only be piped into fume hoods or exhausted bio safety cabinets, except in special procedure rooms near vivariums. Those procedure rooms with exposed CO2 valves always have CO2 sensors.

CO2 sensors use IR, the same technology used in many lighting control occupancy sensors and smoke detectors. IR can't detect N2.

There are N2 sensors, but - and I'm purely guessing - I bet the prevalence of IR makes it cheaper to detect CO2 than N2.

edit: IR = infrared

Warm und Fuzzy fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Dec 18, 2016

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

If you're a gas tanker truck driver, then icy highways are not your friend
http://www.wbal.com/article/209189/2/two-dead-multiple-injured-in-crashes-on-i-95

Well in non faked stuff, here's some photos of the aftermath of this Baltimore interstate crash. Not gory or anything, but fuckin yikes anyway.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

a kitten posted:

Well in non faked stuff, here's some photos of the aftermath of this Baltimore interstate crash. Not gory or anything, but fuckin yikes anyway.

Holy poo poo, some of those cars look like deathtraps. Looks like 2 people died in the whole crash though. Would have expected more watching that video tbh. :(

moonsour
Feb 13, 2007

Ortowned
I remember from my training at a wildlife rehab center which used a lined trash can for gassing animals that the gradual introduction of CO2 meant that the animal would end up getting drowsy and falling asleep before the panic and burning lungs would set in.

The vet set she made the procedure change on her own after personal experience because their discomfort was REALLY obvious. After the change it became more like nap time.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Warm und Fuzzy posted:

I'm answering this coming from construction. CO2 and N2 are both dangerous inert gases (guess we all know that) and in lab spaces they seem to only be piped into fume hoods or exhausted bio safety cabinets, except in special procedure rooms near vivariums. Those procedure rooms with exposed CO2 valves always have CO2 sensors.

CO2 sensors use IR, the same technology used in many lighting control occupancy sensors and smoke detectors. IR can't detect N2.

There are N2 sensors, but - and I'm purely guessing - I bet the prevalence of IR makes it cheaper to detect CO2 than N2.

edit: IR = infrared

Most of the time you don't bother measuring N2 air content - N2 isn't toxic, it's just dangerous if it displaces the oxygen.

The set up for those situations would be an O2 sensor, set to go off at 20% or 19% O2 per volume, depending on the organization's policy.

ianmacdo
Oct 30, 2012

a kitten posted:

non faked?? how did that gas tanker melt those steel beams? it was thermite!

insta
Jan 28, 2009
That Smart car
:holymoley:

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?

Dienes posted:

There's more than you would ever want to know about how to euthanize a rodent with various gasses in the AVMA Standards.

I'm sort of ashamed to say that I used Argon from a MIG welder to dispatch a horribly cancerous Hamster. It took all of 20 seconds. Poor little dude.

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

insta posted:

That Smart car
:holymoley:

i think that was a honda civic

it just looks like a smart now

edit: nope, chevrolet spark

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

i like how the beam over that span has clearly been replaced

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

What do you think it means, bitch?

Pick posted:

but feeling terror and suffering panic attacks is normal for grad students

Bit of terror and panic, bit of killing you slowly, it's a funny mix.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Jerry Cotton posted:

Hmm climate change says otherwise.

If atmospheric carbon dioxide concentration reaches double or triple current levels, humans will start to feel stuffy everywhere, even outdoors.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Dec 19, 2016

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Dienes posted:

There's more than you would ever want to know about how to euthanize a rodent with various gasses in the AVMA Standards.

"Focused beam microwave irradiation" sounds interesting.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Platystemon posted:

If atmospheric carbon dioxide concentration reaches double or triple current levels, humans will start to feel stuffy everywhere, even outdoors.

This was the plot to Fringe.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

*not paying attention, hits sign*

Huh, what was that? Oh well...

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Why don't they just lower the road so they don't hit the sign? :colbert:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

ruddiger posted:

*not paying attention, hits sign*

Huh, what was that? Oh well...

Like most warning labels it has two functions: giving observant people sufficient warning and stopping inattentive morons from getting litigious.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

RyokoTK posted:

Why don't they just lower the road so they don't hit the sign? :colbert:

You son of a bitch

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Sanctum posted:

More stuff from the airport.
This is not getting enough love. Well, terror. Speaking as someone who's flying in 2 days YAY

qkkl
Jul 1, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Looks like we've finally found a solution to the 11'8" bridge.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

qkkl posted:

Looks like we've finally found a solution to the 11'8" bridge.

If I recall correctly, that bridge is built over a gas main or a sewer line, so no. You can't lower the road.

And we don't need a solution to that bridge anyway. The bridge is the solution for inattentive drivers.

bend
Dec 31, 2012

Chichevache posted:

If I recall correctly, that bridge is built over a gas main or a sewer line, so no. You can't lower the road.

And we don't need a solution to that bridge anyway. The bridge is the solution for inattentive drivers.

I wonder how much you'd improve general driver behaviour in a given town/city if you found awareness obstacles(sorry I just made that term up, but you get what I mean I hope) like low bridges just randomly around towns or cities and started publicising the result ? Hit low bridge A and the next day your coworkers are going "is this your car mate?" just pick places all over town and start publicising idiots

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

You can bet the dude who rammed his mustang head-on into the gate post at work got shamed. It's a yard from the curb and they managed to smack into it between the headlights and this was back before winter came so no ice/snow.

Made the site safety newsletter!

bend
Dec 31, 2012

Mustached Demon posted:

You can bet the dude who rammed his mustang head-on into the gate post at work got shamed. It's a yard from the curb and they managed to smack into it between the headlights and this was back before winter came so no ice/snow.

Made the site safety newsletter!

Some bloody people honestly, years ago a bloke I worked with drove straight over cones into a drainage that was being repaired, and had to be towed out. He managed to get a cone stuck between the radiator and engine somehow too resulting in a fair bit of foul smoking smoke, the drainage ran right across the lane in the parking lot and he pretty much just rolled on into it like nothing was there when he headed out to hit a drive through for lunch. It had been open and coned off for two days.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Chichevache posted:

hmm but what if we raised the railway bridge

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Circuitjerky
Mar 17, 2006
Not sure if this is OSHA or not but it sure don't seem right and figured you all could give me some insight. https://imgur.com/gallery/Ggf0w