Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I don't understand how in the business of selling funny books you can have such diseased corporate culture.

Except, I can.

But it's still stupid as hell.

Its like where does "be total dicks" enter into the daily schedule of people whose job should be just "come up with cool stories about people who dress in bright pajamas and also fly."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

This is in no way worthy of cancelling a book over.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
There's no way we are seeing everything, this guy might have been directly harassing someone in editorial for all we know.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Well, yeah, it's possible.

But if we're going off the article like fadam is, then I really don't see how that's anymore worth of getting rid of somebody than Peter David's rant about Romani people or Brian Azzarello calling a fan a pussy.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.
One is fans and the other is above him in the DC chain of command.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
It definitely feels like an overreaction but also, all those specific complaints were dumb and wrong anyway, and I feel like I'd be a lot more sympathetic if I also agreed with what they were saying. Still, that's some master level pettiness on DC's part.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Roth posted:

But if we're going off the article like fadam is, then I really don't see how that's anymore worth of getting rid of somebody than Peter David's rant about Romani people or Brian Azzarello calling a fan a pussy.

That's just Azzarello. He called my two friends pussies for being afraid to approach him at the bar. I was "mother fucker".

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Open Marriage Night posted:

That's just Azzarello. He called my two friends pussies for being afraid to approach him at the bar. I was "mother fucker".

"He's an rear end in a top hat to everyone" isn't really a good answer.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

He was actually really nice. We talked about Wonder Woman, New Gods, and 3am phone calls from Dan Didio roping you into weekly books.

Rhyno posted:

True. He'd be fired/walk off by the third issue though.

A long, boring walk?

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Roth posted:

Because gypsies don't buy a ton of comics and most people I saw on Twitter thought the Azzarello thing was more funny than offensive.

You don't poo poo where you eat. I'm bummed the book got canceled and this is a completely retarded decision from DC but it's not very surprising.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

fadam posted:

Because gypsies don't buy a ton of comics

Oh, hello Peter David

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
jesus christ

Mr President
Nov 13, 2016

by Lowtax

Roth posted:

Peter David did nothing wrong. Some dude was intentionally trying to troll him with some pc culture bullshit and David just stood up for himself.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
...Alucard Nacirema? Can it really be you?

Ponsonby Britt
Mar 13, 2006
I think you mean, why is there silverware in the pancake drawer? Wassup?

Mr President posted:

Peter David did nothing wrong. Some dude was intentionally trying to troll him with some pc culture bullshit and David just stood up for himself.

"David responded with a personal anecdote about seeing children in Bucharest, Romania, with broken legs, and being told that “gypsies” break their children’s legs to make them more effective beggars. In response to Rodriguez’s attempt to follow up, David shouted, “I don’t care,” and finished by saying, “I don’t want to hear anything else you have to say.” The exchange at the panel was caught on video by a representative of RomaPop."

http://comicsalliance.com/peter-david-rromani-representation-new-york-comic-con/

Yeah, that's not insane racism at all

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Ponsonby Britt posted:

"David responded with a personal anecdote about seeing children in Bucharest, Romania, with broken legs, and being told that “gypsies” break their children’s legs to make them more effective beggars. In response to Rodriguez’s attempt to follow up, David shouted, “I don’t care,” and finished by saying, “I don’t want to hear anything else you have to say.” The exchange at the panel was caught on video by a representative of RomaPop."

http://comicsalliance.com/peter-david-rromani-representation-new-york-comic-con/

Feel free to post his apology if you believe apologies count.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

His apology was the best and most sincere apology I've ever heard a guy called out for projectile bigotry come back with, really.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Madkal posted:

Feel free to post his apology if you believe apologies count.

It doesn't have any bearing on the discussion at hand.

Mr President
Nov 13, 2016

by Lowtax

Ponsonby Britt posted:

People mutilate children to beg all the time though. it happens in India and you better believe it happens in Romania. David supposedly saw it first hand and got very upset about it. I also like how nobody talks about the dude that provoked the discussion who interrupted an LGBT panel to go on an hour long rant about Roman representation in comics.

Mr President fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Dec 19, 2016

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Mr President posted:

People mutilate children to beg all the time though. it happens in India and you better believe it happens in Romania. David supposedly saw it first hand and got very upset about it.

"David has since offered an apology for his outburst, acknowledging his own ignorance of the subject, and stating, “the more I’ve read, the more convinced I’ve become that what I saw [in Romania] was indeed examples, not of children crippled by parents, but children suffering from a genetic disorder.”"

Man, the dude you're defending doesn't even believe this bullshit anymore, but please tell me how asking about better Romani representation is some PC culture gone wrong garbage.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Mr President posted:

People mutilate children to beg all the time though. it happens in India and you better believe it happens in Romania. David supposedly saw it first hand and got very upset about it. I also like how nobody talks about the dude that provoked the discussion who interrupted an LGBT panel to go on an hour long rant about Roman representation in comics.

The point is that maybe using one incident, gotten entirely from a third party, to generalize a people is real lovely?

Mr President
Nov 13, 2016

by Lowtax

Roth posted:

"David has since offered an apology for his outburst, acknowledging his own ignorance of the subject, and stating, “the more I’ve read, the more convinced I’ve become that what I saw [in Romania] was indeed examples, not of children crippled by parents, but children suffering from a genetic disorder.”"

Man, the dude you're defending doesn't even believe this bullshit anymore, but please tell me how asking about better Romani representation is some PC culture gone wrong garbage.

Because that group is well represented in comics from scarlet witch and quicksilver to Gypsy at DC. They have been around forever and are shown in a positive light. The guy who asked the question knew about Peter Davids feelings on the matter and was looking to troll. Shame on him!

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Three characters? Two of which are about as Romani as Captain America

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Mr President posted:

Because that group is well represented in comics from scarlet witch and quicksilver to Gypsy at DC. They have been around forever and are shown in a positive light. The guy who asked the question was looking to troll.

You're really citing a character called "Gypsy" as great Romani representation?

Mr President
Nov 13, 2016

by Lowtax

Roth posted:

You're really citing a character called "Gypsy" as great Romani representation?

Gypsy is just a European word for a nomad and the character in question is always portrayed as a hero and a member of the Justice League.

Don't fall for the ID politics garbage

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Gypsy is a slur for Romani and pretending it's about nomads in general is hilarious.

Also lol at unironically using the term identity politics.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Okay, seriously now, just fess up. This is an Alucard Nacirema re-reg, right? It's okay, we won't tell.

Just...purely out of curiosity...how do you feel about Jaime Reyes? :v:

CharlestheHammer posted:

Three characters? Two of which are about as Romani as Captain America
To be fair, there's also Dr. Doom. Clearly we've reached apex representation on that one.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Mr President posted:

Because that group is well represented in comics from scarlet witch and quicksilver to Gypsy at DC. They have been around forever and are shown in a positive light. The guy who asked the question knew about Peter Davids feelings on the matter and was looking to troll. Shame on him!

I thought he was going around and asking a bunch of creators about Roma characters?

I have also been to Europe and they despise the Roma so saying gypsy is a European word for nomad is so so wrong

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I feel pretty confident that it's American Dracula on a new account

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I can't believe yall are still arguing with him.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

yes continue arguing with the account named "Mr. President" that registered in November of this year I'm sure it's arguing entirely in good faith and with only the purest of intentions

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Please don't engage with this bad poster that surely by coincidence happened to register just two days after the other bad poster everyone is thinking about was banned.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Alaois posted:

yes continue arguing with the account named "Mr. President" that registered in November of this year I'm sure it's arguing entirely in good faith and with only the purest of intentions

I can't believe Donald J Trump is posting here

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
My next comics pitch will be to replace The Ray with a gay black man named "Orangejello", which I have been assured is a real name among black people

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Kurtofan posted:

I can't believe Donald J Trump is posting here

Not enough self-congratulation.

Explicit self-congratulation, I mean.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Nuns with Guns posted:

My next comics pitch will be to replace The Ray with a gay black man named "Orangejello", which I have been assured is a real name among black people

Carmanjello imo.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

She put the miss in misdemeanor
When she stole the beans from Lima, whoa-oh tell me
Where in the world is

pubic works project posted:

Carmanjello imo.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Jim Lee got some 'Arry in that Love Is Love comic. Apparently J.K. Rowling's first sanctioned Potter comic book thing.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BOLzULfg1vN/

Should be nice for the sales/benefit.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
RED HOOD AND THE OUTLAWS #8
Written by SCOTT LOBDELL
Art and cover by guest artist KENNETH ROCAFORT
Variant cover by GUILLEM MARCH
Retailers: This issue will ship with two covers. Please see the order form for details.
“WHO IS ARTEMIS?” prologue! As Red Hood and the Outlaws gear up for their journey to Bana-Mighdall, shocking secrets from Artemis’ past come to light! Who is this mysterious Amazon warrior? What is her relation to Wonder Woman? And what makes her quest for the Bow of Ra so personal? Answers to all this and more in a thrilling new adventure with your favorite band of misfits!
On sale MARCH 8 • 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US • RATED T+

ROCAFORT!!!!!

Rest of solicits here

http://www.newsarama.com/32436-dc-comics-march-2017-solicitations.html?utm_source=notification

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Is it news that JRjr is taking over Suicide Squad?

Also, Lord Havok for JLA's first arc :/