Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Tell me how to use the Myoko without getting owned :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Sun Wu Kampf posted:

Tell me how to use the Myoko without getting owned :negative:

It's much like with other cruisers with no smoke and lovely concealment - you must always be aware of what every enemy battleship within 15km of you is doing and where their guns are pointing. Yes, this is pretty much impossible, but you have to try. Your reload is long enough to give you time to look around between each salvo.

Your instinct as a cruiser player is probably to try to use your DPM and shoot things constantly. For many cruisers this is the right thing to do, but in the Myoko and the Atago this usually isn't an optimal strategy. The shell arcs are fairly flat so it's hard to find islands to sit behind and spam like you can with the Cleveland for example, and the reload is fairly long. Instead you have great alpha, fire chance and accuracy, so what you want to do when fighting battleships is to stay at a fairly respectable distance (preferably in stealth, but this is hard to do with the Myoko before you have a 15-point captain), wait until your intended target is distracted with something else, and then open up on him. If he starts pointing his turrets at you, angle away, stop shooting and he'll soon get bored with you and/or you'll re-stealth.

Another trap with the Myoko is the lovely turret firing angles, especially on #4 (IIRC). If you're fighting someone who's shooting back, don't even try to unmask all of your turrets - you will get citadelled. Run away, throw some torps behind you to discourage him from following and unmask your badly placed turrets only if you know he won't be shooting back at you for a little bit.

Oh and you can't brawl with it at all. The Atago is great at brawling but the Myoko is pretty hopeless. The turret traverse is absolutely glacial, you can't fire torps forward, you only have like four guns that can actually fire forward and your armor is rear end. That being said if you do get to shoot some cruiser scrub's broadside at close range your AP is great and you can absolutely delete them, just don't try to maneuver against them because if you have to switch your turrets over to the other side you'll be out of the fight for almost a loving minute.

The torps are good but hard to use - everyone knows you have them, you can only launch them behind you, the spread isn't very big and you will never launch them from stealth in open water. You can get great mileage out of them when playing around corners and islands, though.

It is a good ship though, you just have to divert a lot of your attention to not getting deleted.

e: oh and run defensive AA on it. You don't want to be charging into smoke clouds with it anyway so you don't really need hydro and the AA is absolute garbage so CV's love making GBS threads on you.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Dec 19, 2016

Pseudophile
Dec 25, 2007

All hail Shinyhorse.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

TheFluff posted:

It's much like with other cruisers with no smoke and lovely concealment - you must always be aware of what every enemy battleship within 15km of you is doing and where their guns are pointing. Yes, this is pretty much impossible, but you have to try. Your reload is long enough to give you time to look around between each salvo.

Your instinct as a cruiser player is probably to try to use your DPM and shoot things constantly. For many cruisers this is the right thing to do, but in the Myoko and the Atago this usually isn't an optimal strategy. The shell arcs are fairly flat so it's hard to find islands to sit behind and spam like you can with the Cleveland for example, and the reload is fairly long. Instead you have great alpha, fire chance and accuracy, so what you want to do when fighting battleships is to stay at a fairly respectable distance (preferably in stealth, but this is hard to do with the Myoko before you have a 15-point captain), wait until your intended target is distracted with something else, and then open up on him. If he starts pointing his turrets at you, angle away, stop shooting and he'll soon get bored with you and/or you'll re-stealth.

Another trap with the Myoko is the lovely turret firing angles, especially on #4 (IIRC). If you're fighting someone who's shooting back, don't even try to unmask all of your turrets - you will get citadelled. Run away, throw some torps behind you to discourage him from following and unmask your badly placed turrets only if you know he won't be shooting back at you for a little bit.

Oh and you can't brawl with it at all. The Atago is great at brawling but the Myoko is pretty hopeless. The turret traverse is absolutely glacial, you can't fire torps forward, you only have like four guns that can actually fire forward and your armor is rear end. That being said if you do get to shoot some cruiser scrub's broadside at close range your AP is great and you can absolutely delete them, just don't try to maneuver against them because if you have to switch your turrets over to the other side you'll be out of the fight for almost a loving minute.

The torps are good but hard to use - everyone knows you have them, you can only launch them behind you, the spread isn't very big and you will never launch them from stealth in open water. You can get great mileage out of them when playing around corners and islands, though.

It is a good ship though, you just have to divert a lot of your attention to not getting deleted.

e: oh and run defensive AA on it. You don't want to be charging into smoke clouds with it anyway so you don't really need hydro and the AA is absolute garbage so CV's love making GBS threads on you.

Ugh, it's like the complete opposite of the Aoba. No wonder I've been getting hosed up so hard. The Nagato is far easier, just apply it to enemy ships like a blunt instrument and it works well.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Myoko needs a 15-point captain badly. If you have Concealment Expert it pretty much plays as a shittier Atago, but one tier lower, which evens things out quite a bit. You're still dropping 5k damage HE salvos that are almost guaranteed to start at least one fire on BB drivers every 15 seconds, and AP salvos that can annihilate dumbass cruisers instantly. You've just gotta be patient and let the play come to you instead of pushing the action. Stay in stealth instead of taking speculative shots, and you'll get plenty of opportunities to put in work.

e: if you don't have Concealment Expert, it just plays as a much shittier Atago. You have to stay really far away to remain stealthed, so it doesn't work as well. It's worth using Dragon flags to get a 15-point captain for your IJN cruisers, they benefit bigly from it.

Soup Inspector
Jun 5, 2013

Blinks77 posted:

From what i remember going from one to the other?

The Fiji took off like a rocket from a standing start. The Edin always felt far more slugish.

Oh yeah, I definitely know where you're coming from here. The Fiji's acceleration is bananas (and probably helped me to dodge torpedoes I really shouldn't have). And it feels like the Edinburgh takes longer to decelerate too. I've had at least 5 incidents now where I slowed down to deploy smoke only to drift merrily out in front of the entire enemy team to die horribly.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah, I am nowhere near a 15 point captain on my Myoko, sadly. Part of my problem too is that I like to be very aggressive, and if everything doesn't shake out exactly right, that will get your poo poo ruined in a Myoko.

Mabye I should give DDs another shot after I finish grinding the ARP event. 19k to Takao!

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
You want to have a DPS mentality in the IJN cruisers, at least in the early-to-mid game. Do as much damage as possible without pulling aggro.

OSad
Feb 29, 2012
What's the idea behind RN Cruisers anyway? At lower tiers they feel like total rear end: crappy range, not a lot of guns and AP that can barely do anything besides tickle battleships, and it's just barely appropriate against cruisers of your own tier. You're also made of tea bag wrappings so any shot that hits any part of your ship is an almost guaranteed citadel. But apparently ships like the Leander and Fiji and upwards are absolutely amazing or something?

I mean, they don't seem incredible. They're DPM monsters but you have to put in so much work since your guns are so piddly, like hundreds of hits to even start to do some okay damage numbers, and everyone and their mother loves to shoot you since it's easy big damage almost every time.

Iveliosiudicium
Aug 21, 2003
Why are you looking at me like that?
One shotted an Iowa and a Montana.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

OSad posted:

What's the idea behind RN Cruisers anyway? At lower tiers they feel like total rear end: crappy range, not a lot of guns and AP that can barely do anything besides tickle battleships, and it's just barely appropriate against cruisers of your own tier. You're also made of tea bag wrappings so any shot that hits any part of your ship is an almost guaranteed citadel. But apparently ships like the Leander and Fiji and upwards are absolutely amazing or something?

I mean, they don't seem incredible. They're DPM monsters but you have to put in so much work since your guns are so piddly, like hundreds of hits to even start to do some okay damage numbers, and everyone and their mother loves to shoot you since it's easy big damage almost every time.

If you're aiming correctly/picking the right targets then it's well more than "OK" numbers, you'll be doing 3-8k+ salvoes on broadside BBs and well more on cruisers.

The problem is definitely finding people distracted and or bad to pull it off against though, because angling reduces that down to like 1500 damage a volley real fast.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

OSad posted:

They get a heal pretty early, they get actually decent torps that you can fire one at a time (which can lead to some pretty hilarious outcomes), they get smoke, and so far my only complaint with the Caledon is that shooting the AP rounds at BBs makes it very difficult to deal consistent damage. I believe that the 3/4/5 grind might be a bit aggravating, but so far I've found it better than the low tier Germany CA grind. Part of it might also be my improvement as a player though too. The Cleveland is my highest CA/CL and it's basically taken the entire grind to the Pensecola to finally realize what the gently caress I should be doing. That has significantly helped my cruiser game.

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

Another satisfying thing is spamming columns of torps at people. The neptune/minotaur have fantastic torps and quickish reloads. The minotaur in particular is good at it with the 8.9 km sighting distance, also if nobody sees you enter or drop a smoke cloud and you aren't hurling shells out of it you basically don't exist. Had a tirpitz just sail serenely by me and eat all the torps.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

OSad posted:

The low tier ones are simply garbage. The first one that's kinda playable is the Leander. The smoke is kind of a huge deal.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

OSad posted:

RN cruisers until tier 6 are bad, as they have terrible gun placement which forces someone to give a broadside to actually put shells downrange. Also, a lot of low tier battleships don't have nice large superstructures to catch AP shells from you, the Myogi in particular is a pain in the rear end to damage.
But the Leander gives you real turrets and you can put 4-6 shells at a time into people without having to go full broadside, even a slight angle will greatly reduced the chance of being citadel'd. I've found that the damage really ramps up if you shoot at things that are giving you a good broadside, soon as someone angles away, shoot at someone else (unless they are really low health.) To me, the RN cruisers are the best cruisers at their tier, or at least the most enjoyable.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Low tier RN cruisers have the dual issue that their guns don't have particularly great stats, especially considering they only fire AP, combined with low tier battleships generally have incredibly small superstructures. Once you get to the mid-high tiers RN cruisers start getting guns with actual decent stats, and battleships start having significant amounts of superstructure. Given your guns at any tier are very rarely going to pen belt armor on battleships, putting huge numbers of shots into their superstructure is generally how you deal damage to them.

You also go from being a gargantuan floating citadel with no armor, to a significantly harder to hit waterline citadel (still with no armor). And then back to being a gargantuan floating citadel with no armor at T9-10 - but Neptune and Minotaur have their own benefits.

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

TheFluff posted:

The low tier ones are simply garbage. The first one that's kinda playable is the Leander. The smoke is kind of a huge deal.

I've been very down on this line since they launched, only playing a game here or there when I started to get tired of tier 9 games and felt like a little low tier nostalgia. Had a rough game in the Caledon where I got deleted by a Wyoming that had not even been spotted yet and almost sold it. Next time around I racked up a improbable six kill kraken in it.

Bonus chat gold:

Lakedaimon fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Dec 19, 2016

Victor Surge
Feb 2, 2006

If Thomson hadn't disabled the louts' aeroplanes with well tossed wrenches, I dare say those uncouth vandals would have made off with your victuals and garments.

Vengarr posted:

You want to have a DPS mentality in the IJN cruisers, at least in the early-to-mid game. Do as much damage as possible without pulling aggro.

And it's amazing how this playstyle is absolutely epitomized in the Zao. You will do crazy amounts of damage this way. My average is 101k and that's only blue stat wise (although it's increasing rapidly).

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

Soup Inspector posted:

Holy gently caress, I guess all the insta-deletions prevented me from figuring this out. The Edinburgh is now instantly redeemed. :stwoon:

Since you seem pretty knowledgeable about the RN cruisers, do you think it plays significantly differently from the Fiji?

I have no idea. I'm still on the Fiji. I just 'got' the RN cruisers pretty quickly. I mean, I figured them out quickly enough to actually enjoy the Emerald, soooo take from that what you will I suppose.

Based on the stats though, I can say that I don't expect it to be much different, although I don't think I'll be using the damage control for anything less than 3 fires, because who gives a poo poo about flooding and fire damage when you have 40-48% heals?

Edit: Also, to the guy above having problems with the RN cruisers: The torpedoes are actually really good, and the Emerald's torp loadout is one of, if not the best in the game at it's tier and actually compares pretty well to ships several tiers above it. Combine with single-fire and you have a combination that if you can play around islands well, you can and will facefuck ANYTHING with them.

I've said it before, but for RN cruisers I find that they can be pressed into doing almost anything, but it requires you to know exactly what you're doing with them. This only applies to the Emerald and above, but if you're fighting a destroyer, play like a cruiser. If you're fighting a cruiser, play like a battleship. If you're fighting a battleship, play like a destroyer. The ship gives you the tools you need to do all of that.

Rorac fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Dec 19, 2016

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

I would echo that a bit as well, a lot of people say the fun really starts with the Leander but I loved the Emerald as well. You've got great utility in your guns, torps, smoke and heal. Once you solve the puzzle of how to stay alive it all starts to click.

One thing ive started doing in my Leander is just rushing down BBs and dropping torps on them with the good angles on the launchers. So far I'm 100% at killing the BB and about 66% surviving the experience.

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

I totally get that the low tier ones really aren't that great, but I didn't mind the Caledon/Danae, because people never punished me consistently for showing broadside to do damage.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Wolfy posted:

I totally get that the low tier ones really aren't that great, but I didn't mind the Caledon/Danae, because people never punished me consistently for showing broadside to do damage.

I think with the Caledon I've had no issues with destroyers or other cruisers. BBs getting a ridiculous salvo has been the biggest problem so far. It might also be because ~75% of the player base at that level don't understand how to hit citadels never mind hitting them at range.

kojei
Feb 12, 2008
My experiences with others using RN cruisers is that they're either completely useless or utter loving terrors with absolutely no middle ground.

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

Every game I am in my Yamato and there is an enemy Minotaur. Clank clank clank clank for the entire match.

Fizzil
Aug 24, 2005

There are five fucks at the edge of a cliff...

New soviet destroyer tree? whats their deal? Torpedo boats this time?

I was hoping for Russian/Soviet battleships, more US light cruisers, and the French, anything french would be pretty neat.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
If I had a choice of which trees would be next: RN Battleships and Destroyers, US light cruisers, French ships I guess, maybe Italians? Maybe that Pan Asian tree, but that would be mainly copies or something.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
I'd love to see Italians. They made some astonishingly top-shelf ships that never got a chance to shine.

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

QUACKING PERMABANNED! READ HERE

~SMcD
:canada: premiums. HMCS Prince David would be really silly at like tier 2. Maybe Saguenay or Skeena for some unique destroyer flavor.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Maestrales, yes please. Italy is probably far, far off though. Especially considering that their 2017 plan has more VMF ships and they need to do RN and French ships too.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Aerroon has his Z-52 preview up. Looks like the German DDs are back to having the good hydro.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

Flipping through the youtubes and a video popped up by iEarlGrey with the title 'Is WoWs Pay to Win'....figure ok I'll give this a shot. How bad can it be. :suicide: I want my 20 minutes back. It's not even garbage tier analysis. I don't know much about this particular....personality, but holy poo poo does he not understand stats...or math...or loving anything involving vague analysis. Ugh legit annoyed at how bad that video was. Sorry for the bitching, but it was either this or a huge rant into youtube comments and this is probably slightly more productive.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Z-52 has better torpedoes than Shimakaze. :psyduck:

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

rex rabidorum vires posted:

Flipping through the youtubes and a video popped up by iEarlGrey with the title 'Is WoWs Pay to Win'....figure ok I'll give this a shot. How bad can it be. :suicide: I want my 20 minutes back. It's not even garbage tier analysis. I don't know much about this particular....personality, but holy poo poo does he not understand stats...or math...or loving anything involving vague analysis. Ugh legit annoyed at how bad that video was. Sorry for the bitching, but it was either this or a huge rant into youtube comments and this is probably slightly more productive.

drat now I will have to waste 20 minutes of my life to see how bad it is.

nvm, didn't make it past 2 minutes. It just seems like aimless rambling

MikeC fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Dec 20, 2016

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

QUACKING PERMABANNED! READ HERE

~SMcD
I somehow landed a citadel on a Norcal from 10km away in a Hipper. :what:

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Vatek posted:

turret barbette. I once citadeled a norcal that was slightly off from head on in a tirpitz. Said norcal was shocked as I was for getting citadeled. I forget the range, probably around the same 10k.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

WG finally got around to taking away the permanent camo on my IJN DDs, and I'm starting on the new branch line.

Hello Hatsuharu my old friend
I've come to curse at you again

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Vatek posted:

There's a notorious weakspot somewhere between the two front turrets on the NC where a pen will ricochet straight down into the magazine. This is how you get those cits, as penning the belt usually only happens at point blank. Otherwise there's just too much of an angle from the falling shell, even if the shot looks pretty flat. I believe the Bismarck/Tirpitz have a similar deficiency as well.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Hazdoc posted:

There's a notorious weakspot somewhere between the two front turrets on the NC where a pen will ricochet straight down into the magazine. This is how you get those cits, as penning the belt usually only happens at point blank. Otherwise there's just too much of an angle from the falling shell, even if the shot looks pretty flat. I believe the Bismarck/Tirpitz have a similar deficiency as well.

Given I've citadeled a Tirpitz with a Myoko before, at around the same distance, I suspect you're correct regarding them having a similar weak spot. I also tend to take citadels from 16" battleships in them at a certain angle where I'd think I should be bouncing, or just taking normal pens, at around that distance.

Lord Koth fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Dec 20, 2016

OSad
Feb 29, 2012
What's good about the Gneisenau: it goes really fast.

What's bad about the Gneisenau: everything else.

Hazdoc posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLiqWLph5Yg&t=497s

I don't know if this is what you mentioned but there you go, he almost does it twice for some ridiculous damage right up front.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !

Heartcatch posted:

Z-52 has better torpedoes than Shimakaze. :psyduck:

And sonar....and shells with good arcs......

I saw Flamu playing it today and it seems like a pre-nerf Khabarovsk....