Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

And lobbers build so drat fast too. I generally roll with 4 in my stacks to ruin quarrelers, hammerers etc.

Another reason Azhag sucks: quest for Slaggas Slasha randomly deleted itself after I formed an alliance with the current occupant of the city you have to take as the quests first objective :(

Dandywalken fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Dec 19, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.
Are there any tips for starting off as Beastmen? I have just got their DLC and they are obviously very different to the other factions. I started off with Khazrak one eye who starts off in warhammer spain, and a huge stack comes out of their capitol on turn 3 and burns my army to the ground. Should I be keeping my herds together? ( I split them so each herd could go in different directions.)

Dartonus
Apr 1, 2011

It only gets worse from here on in...
What's generally worked consistently for me is to keep the stacks together and transfer most of the units from the second stack to your LL's stack. While Hidden Encampment should keep the agents off you, if the second stack is just the Lord and he gets assassinated you'll lose the stack, so keep a single unit of ungors with him. Use your stealth to pick and choose your battles, if you don't feel like you can siege a capital, just pass it over and look for some small settlement to burn down instead. Big goal early is to get 17 units in your main stack so you can get the brayherd running, adds a decent margin of safety once it's up.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Dravs posted:

Are there any tips for starting off as Beastmen? I have just got their DLC and they are obviously very different to the other factions. I started off with Khazrak one eye who starts off in warhammer spain, and a huge stack comes out of their capitol on turn 3 and burns my army to the ground. Should I be keeping my herds together? ( I split them so each herd could go in different directions.)

Keep your herds together, always, so they can support each other; you don't even suffer horde infighting attrition like Chaos Warriors do, so there's no reason not to. Any time you gain from splitting them up will be lost with interest the moment you have to fall back and hide or god forbid you lose a horde because the enemy overwhelmed a lone stack. Hordes are long, slow burn investments that take a long time to build up so you never want to lose one that you've put any time into. Keeping your herds together enables some cunning strategies with the Beastmen. My favorite is using the weaker horde to bait enemies. Set the weaker horde in raid stance so the enemy can see them and then set the stronger horde up in ambush next to it; if the enemy fails to detect the ambush, their stack will charge out to gently caress over your tiny raiding horde and then get ambushed and murdered. This is a fantastic way to lure enemies out of walled cities so you can murder them with impunity.

Some general Beastman tips:
  • You're a horde, so take advantage of not having a home base. You don't need to conquer in a linear manner because you don't hold territory, so feel free to just skip through enemy territory burning soft targets and leaving level 5 cities with walls and garrison stacks alone because why bother right now?
  • You are the stealthiest and most mobile faction. Your default and encamp stances require enemies to pass ambush detection checks to even see you and you have beast path movement to ignore difficult terrain, so if stuff looks too hot you can often just beast path over a mountain or a river and hide for a couple turns until the heat drops off. Be careful about beast pathing while too close to big enemy stacks or they can intercept you and gently caress you over.
  • Your lords' red lines, your technologies, and Gorebull heroes take your lovely ungors and gors from zero to hero in an alarming way. Starting ungors lose to basically everything tougher than a gobbo while fully upped ungors will fight to the last against basically anything and inflict horrifying casualties. Synergy is the key to getting performance out of beastman line infantry.
  • The upkeep reduction building is extremely important and is central to your economy; it will be basically impossible to maintain decent stacks without it. The key is to not build it too early because it cuts into your growth. I usually build it around when I'm ready to start getting minotaurs and I upgrade it once I'm pretty much done building major buildings in that horde.
  • Speaking of minotaurs, unless you're playing as Morghur the cow dudes are your lifeblood and it's important to get them up and running ASAP. Any herd worth its salt(again, Morghur excepted) should have 3-5 units of minotaurs because they are basically the best unit in the faction in the GC; they are extremely fast, extremely tough, do horrifying amounts of damage, and act as living siege weapons to batter down gates except unlike a battering ram these guys will simply kill everything on the other side. Their only weaknesses are massed focus fire shooting and enemies with charge defense/anti large, but that's what your line infantry are for. My first goal in the campaign is to build up enough of a nest egg to get the minotaur building and the upkeep reduction building so I can afford them.
  • When sacking a town, basically always take the money. You will be bleeding money a lot as you expand your hordes and you can't always count on being able to crack open a juicy town every turn, so it's important to grab every ounce of favor you can get so you can have a nest egg to rely on in case an area gets too hot and you need to lie low for a few turns or peace out.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

TheLastRoboKy posted:

The guys that turn up in the Badlands are a Chaos invasion specific thing designed to mess up your pots and pans and ensure you're not going to get an easy ride buffering your Dwarves or Greenskins behind a wall of the rest of the Old World.
Are they ever all that threatening? It's been a while since I played Dwarfs but I have vague memories of them smashing themselves against a garrison until I sent a stack to murder them. It didn't feel like much of a challenge, but maybe I just got lucky?

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Zephro posted:

Are they ever all that threatening? It's been a while since I played Dwarfs but I have vague memories of them smashing themselves against a garrison until I sent a stack to murder them. It didn't feel like much of a challenge, but maybe I just got lucky?

I guess you got the dumb variant that spreads out and attacks settlements 1-on-1. On VH they have 4-5 full stacks which is more than enough to smash garrisons if they stick together.

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe

Kanos posted:

Beastmen tips.

All this is totally valid but the thing ive done for ages now is to remove that 2nd starting stack. Just move the troops over to your LL of choice and have a bigger single stack thats much easier to manage economically, you'll notice positive net results instantly with your income going up, and it means that you can get to minotaurs (or chaos spawn) faster and STILL have a positive income.

In most of theese cases ive been able to have an army that can summon a brayherd (as in 17-20/20) and have 1-2 minotaurs, and im either sitting at +- income or positive income still, and thats WITHOUT the upkeep building, just the blueline upkeepskill + the main minotaur/gor buildings giving upkeep reductions.

Zephro posted:

I kinda want to make a mod now that makes the badland chaos stacks more dangerous.. more stacks? better units? maybe both?!

Unless this exists already, it probably does.

Gejnor fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Dec 19, 2016

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Gejnor posted:

I kinda want to make a mod now that makes the badland chaos stacks more dangerous.. more stacks? better units? maybe both?!

Unless this exists already, it probably does.
I'd definitely install it, if that helps. Been thinking about doing another Dorf campaign and this sounds like just the thing to mix it up a bit.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
What I would love to see is a randomised Chaos invasion direction mod.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Gejnor posted:

All this is totally valid but the thing ive done for ages now is to remove that 2nd starting stack. Just move the troops over to your LL of choice and have a bigger single stack thats much easier to manage economically, you'll notice positive net results instantly with your income going up, and it means that you can get to minotaurs (or chaos spawn) faster and STILL have a positive income.

In most of theese cases ive been able to have an army that can summon a brayherd (as in 17-20/20) and have 1-2 minotaurs, and im either sitting at +- income or positive income still, and thats WITHOUT the upkeep building, just the blueline upkeepskill + the main minotaur/gor buildings giving upkeep reductions.

While this is a valid approach, beastmen hordes are so annoyingly slow to grow without huge luck on the dark moon events that I feel like you're handicapping your long term prospects in exchange for a short term growth spurt that the faction really doesn't need unless you're trying to speedrun or something. I feel like it's a lot better to just eat the upkeep and let that second horde bank up all that lovely population over the first 15-30 turns until your main horde is in a good spot and then it's all ready and waiting for you with a secondary lord who is already leveled and has the juicy red line skills because he's been participating as reinforcements in all of the main herd's battles.

HateCrimeDoxNet
Dec 19, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
CRAZY GARBAGE

Somebody fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Dec 19, 2016

Asmodai_00
Nov 26, 2007

:same:

Asmodai_00 fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Dec 19, 2016

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

Fangz posted:

What I would love to see is a randomised Chaos invasion direction mod.

Well judging by HateCrimeDoxNet spamming all the threads in Games I think we just did.

RestRoomLiterature-
Jun 3, 2008

staying regular
Wtf was that wall of text?

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Zephro posted:

They were a giant pain the first time I played through as Greenskins and didn't know about them, because I'd abandoned the southern end of the Badlands wholesale after clearing all the Dwarves and Top Knotz out. When you know it's coming, it's trivial to deal with.

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

This 120MB patch is taking up 20GB+ of my hard drive then failing because of a lack of disk space.

Has anyone else had this, and is there a way to fix it? I've uninstalled everything I'm willing to.

DaveCG
Nov 5, 2009
Warhammer and a few other games have this strange method of patching that involves them duplicating most of the game directory and then patching that, it's dumb and annoying, I just got myself another SSD and put Warhammer on that. Other people have suggested something called Steammover I think, putting it on a bigger drive while it patches, then moving it back once done. To be honest I thought long term and just bought a 500gb SSD, as with the two expansions and the DLC this is going to be a monster in two years time.

Failing that, you can just delete it and redownload it, it'll be the proper size then, but this is only short-term as it'll need to update again sooner or later.

DaveCG fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Dec 19, 2016

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe

Kanos posted:

While this is a valid approach, beastmen hordes are so annoyingly slow to grow without huge luck on the dark moon events that I feel like you're handicapping your long term prospects in exchange for a short term growth spurt that the faction really doesn't need unless you're trying to speedrun or something. I feel like it's a lot better to just eat the upkeep and let that second horde bank up all that lovely population over the first 15-30 turns until your main horde is in a good spot and then it's all ready and waiting for you with a secondary lord who is already leveled and has the juicy red line skills because he's been participating as reinforcements in all of the main herd's battles.

I feel its the opposite, with one strong horde you can later on build your second one when you're in a much better position to do so. Just switch out your old horde Lord with the new Lord, be it LL or just a generic one, then create a new horde with your starting LL who has all the growth skills. With the ability to hide from the map this does not give you the chance of horrible failure like it does with Chaos Warriors.

Having both hordes i feel just slows you down to a degree where you'll increase the chance of losing dramatically, due to your stuff being weaker, your economy sucking for ages while the settlement bound factions will just run circles around you in no time at all production wise. Seriously removing that second stack makes the beastman game EASIER, not harder!

And finally, you can almost guarantee that you'll get atleast SOME form of growth event, but even if you get absolutely 0 of them, the tech + blue skills will be more than enough to get that sweet sweet growth.

E: Ive been playing as we speak here and this is how its looking for me at turn 47, now granted this is with Morghur so he can have quite a bit of Chaos Spawn and still do okay incomewise but this game has been easy as heck for me thus far:

Oh and i got those good ranked units from the event, +6 ranks, +100% recruitment cost, totes worth it!

Gejnor fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Dec 19, 2016

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Jack the Lad posted:

This 120MB patch is taking up 20GB+ of my hard drive then failing because of a lack of disk space.

Has anyone else had this, and is there a way to fix it? I've uninstalled everything I'm willing to.

As far as I know you have to reinstall. The issue is that in looks for room for the full loving game before installing the 120mb patch. You don't have the 33ish gigs available to fit the whole thing, so you can't get the tiny patch :(

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI
My last beastpeople campaign I immediately started throwing my gorebull at the nearest outpost until he leveled up and got the +3 XP levels for new recruits blue tree. Then I got lucky and got the +6 XP levels as one of the moon options. So it was something silly like turn 25 and I had 6 max level ungor raiders and recruited max level gors with spears.

Knowing that every however many turns I had a decent shot of being able to recruit level 5-9 new recruits is pretty great.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
I'm playing with the base game as Karl Franz and so far I've united all the other humans around me against chaos. I killed the everchosen guy but, haven't seen the other group of chaos things. The problem I have right now is that the norsca guys will not gently caress off no matter how many stacks Gelt kills, the wood elves murdered the montey python guys and now have decided to throw waves of unending forces at Altdorf, Karl Franz is holding the vampires in sylvania. Compounding all of this is that the dwarves will not let me keep one of these factions at peace so I can go gently caress the others up. I'm stuck garrisoning several border areas to keep all of these invaders in check.

What causes dwarf grudges? I'm thinking I can make peace with the wood elves then murder the norse guys and the vampires. However I have to break a treaty with the dwarves because whenever I make peace they call me into a war with the faction I made peace with. I guess I could sit there and press end turn until all of the settlements I have are maxed out so I can field another army but, that is really boring.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Azuth0667 posted:

What causes dwarf grudges? I'm thinking I can make peace with the wood elves then murder the norse guys and the vampires. However I have to break a treaty with the dwarves because whenever I make peace they call me into a war with the faction I made peace with. I guess I could sit there and press end turn until all of the settlements I have are maxed out so I can field another army but, that is really boring.

It's usually not diplomatic stuff, at least I don't remember any. It's stuff like "put down this rebellion" or "retake this town from the Greenskins" or "kill this agent who assaulted your units"

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

Azuth0667 posted:

I'm playing with the base game as Karl Franz and so far I've united all the other humans around me against chaos. I killed the everchosen guy but, haven't seen the other group of chaos things. The problem I have right now is that the norsca guys will not gently caress off no matter how many stacks Gelt kills, the wood elves murdered the montey python guys and now have decided to throw waves of unending forces at Altdorf, Karl Franz is holding the vampires in sylvania. Compounding all of this is that the dwarves will not let me keep one of these factions at peace so I can go gently caress the others up. I'm stuck garrisoning several border areas to keep all of these invaders in check.

Dwarfs get grudges any time an action is successful against them (army defeated, leader assassinated, city sacked) which is basically an assignment to go gently caress up the perpetrator. Completing grudges gives a small reward and if they build up, they cause empire-wide penalties. I could be wrong, but I don't think the AI dwarfs actually have the grudge mechanic?

The Norsca clans are very difficult to wipe out entirely (and not really worth it) because their settlements (which you can't take over, only sack/raze) are spread out across the frozen north which you take constant attrition to move through. The Vampires are a lot easier to eliminate.

It sounds like you're just at war with way too many people. I'd suggest making peace with the elves and just ignore the dwarfs while you burn down the vampires.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
http://wiki.totalwar.com/images/0/0a/Big_battle02_small.jpg

Today's teaser is a screenshot of Brettonian Grail Pilgrims.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

1st_Panzer_Div. posted:

As far as I know you have to reinstall. The issue is that in looks for room for the full loving game before installing the 120mb patch. You don't have the 33ish gigs available to fit the whole thing, so you can't get the tiny patch :(

Download SteamMover, move the game to another drive, patch, and move it back. I had the same problem with the elf dlc and ir worked like a charm.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

madmac posted:

I love the guy with the broken sword. He just put a metal bandaid on it and called it a day

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

because our character has the 'poet' trait, this update shall be told in the format of a rap battle.

madmac posted:

I love how this is posed like a piece of WFB box art.

blindwoozie
Mar 1, 2008

drat, can't believe we have to wait until February for Bretonnia. Hopefully they get some cool campaign mechanics.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

MilitantBlackGuy posted:

drat, can't believe we have to wait until February for Bretonnia. Hopefully they get some cool campaign mechanics.

Build up your armies fightiness, at maximum fightiness you will spawn a free "grail army" that is partially under your control.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

MilitantBlackGuy posted:

I'm hoping for a grail quest of some nature that is more interesting than "walk a guy to the rear end in a top hat end of nowhere".

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Yeah probably.

Pie-in-the-sky but I hope Bretonnia either gets to create crusades for all the duchies to go on, or crusades are something you get asked to join. Watching everyone's armies run amok during the Chaos invasion is a blast, and I want Bretonnia to do that 100% of the time. Except instead of fighting the doom of existence, we're stomping on an Elector Count with Alzheimer's for calling a Bretonnian lady "a hairy troll".

E: Gallavanting is the word of the day.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Kanos posted:

I'm hoping for a grail quest of some nature that is more interesting than "walk a guy to the rear end in a top hat end of nowhere".

But that's part of what a grail quest is.

Hell, it's implied that's part of why they send women who dare to get out of the kitchen on a quest.

Edit: Also, the new tabletop lords mod is a good mod. You think the Gorebull is nightmarish to fight against? Try going up against a Doombull.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Archonex posted:

But that's part of what a grail quest is.

Hell, it's implied that's part of why they send women who dare to get out of the kitchen on a quest.

The Grail is a real actual thing that is hugely important though, not just some made up crap to waste the time of idiots. I'm thinking something like a chain of quest battles in exotic locations tied to a lord that gives him and your faction as a whole a megabuff if successfully completed rather than "walk an agent to the Badlands, then walk an agent to Norsca, then deploy an agent in Estalia OK you're done".

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I wonder if we are going to get more unique starting positions based on different lords.

Like Ungrim getting to start at Kraka Drakk and dealing with Norse and Chaos right out of the gate. Or Red Duke being up against Brettonia and Wood Elves.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues
I'd like to see an Errantry War mechanic of some kind, where you call the crusade against a certain target and actively fighting against them leading to better rewards while reduced rewards from fighting others or something I dunno video game mechanics.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Panfilo posted:

I wonder if we are going to get more unique starting positions based on different lords.

Like Ungrim getting to start at Kraka Drakk and dealing with Norse and Chaos right out of the gate. Or Red Duke being up against Brettonia and Wood Elves.

Hoping this will be a part of the second game launch patch or something. Redo all base LLs, and spread them around so more factions are playable (maybe rename "The Empire" to Reikland, and etc.) and give more unique takes on playable sides. That said, yeah, they've said that going back to change existing content is tough to do with their DLC schedule being as it is. Although they do want to do it.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Questing for the Grail is a really personal thing for Bretonnian Knights. The purpose is for them to reach a point where the only thing they have left to go on is faith and willpower, when they're shown absolute proof that the Grail isn't in the world. If they resolve to keep going despite that, the next day they'll meet the Lady and drink from the Grail.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

As an aside, the Bretonnians are also the strongest naval power in the Old World. Bretonnia rules the waves, and all. So that's another thing that'll eventually help differentiate them from the Empire.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Yeah, its kinda weird how that ended up. By default you'd think its the Empire, but the lore goes out of its way to say that its actually the Bretonnians. They actually use cannon in the navy too, if I remember right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Dandywalken posted:

Yeah, its kinda weird how that ended up. By default you'd think its the Empire, but the lore goes out of its way to say that its actually the Bretonnians. They actually use cannon in the navy too, if I remember right?

Brettonia is England, except when they're France. Makes perfect sense to me :D

• Locked thread