Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Damnit. I got adopted by a stray cat.

Neighbor had one show up on her doorstep. Too cold outside for any pets, and neighbor is allergic. So I have a second cat hanging out here until I can get him/her checked for a chip.

I'm keeping him/her separated from my cat, though I did let them see each other.. no hissing or any signs of aggression from either cat, aside from my cat being a bit startled and the other cat giving a "great, there's another cat in this place?" look. Getting her checked for a microchip tomorrow, and I've been posting on Nextdoor, various Facebook groups, reddit, etc to try and locate her owner. I don't want to let her mingle with my cat, since my cat doesn't do that well with other cats... and I have no idea what she may have. I'm assuming female just based on size, I might be wrong, but I'm not gonna go and grab the pussy by the pussy (or the penis) to find out.

*Bruce Campbell voice* WELL HELLO MR MS FANCYPANTS

e: holy poo poo, my car grew a pair. He's been hissing at the bathroom door (other cat is in there) every time he walks past it. The only time I've heard a hiss from him before was when his tail got stepped on. :doh: Should have expected that, but he's generally scared of his own shadow, and there was no aggression when they first saw each other.

OH MY GOD you got my TacoCat! He was the best floof that ever lived and I miss him every day. You be nice to that catte, eh? Cats will hiss and spit and be generally lovely for a couple of weeks then gradually move on.

Rogue One was a great flick and whomever said it's the first Star Wars movie that felt like a war movie had it right. K2-S0 kicks rear end. I felt like Disney did a nod to HK-47 from KOTOR. I was hoping he'd start calling people meatbag.
E: :sicknasty:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Sorry, Viggen. :glomp:

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Damnit. I got adopted by a stray cat.

Neighbor had one show up on her doorstep. Too cold outside for any pets, and neighbor is allergic. So I have a second cat hanging out here until I can get him/her checked for a chip.

I'm keeping him/her separated from my cat, though I did let them see each other.. no hissing or any signs of aggression from either cat, aside from my cat being a bit startled and the other cat giving a "great, there's another cat in this place?" look. Getting her checked for a microchip tomorrow, and I've been posting on Nextdoor, various Facebook groups, reddit, etc to try and locate her owner. I don't want to let her mingle with my cat, since my cat doesn't do that well with other cats... and I have no idea what she may have. I'm assuming female just based on size, I might be wrong, but I'm not gonna go and grab the pussy by the pussy (or the penis) to find out.

*Bruce Campbell voice* WELL HELLO MR MS FANCYPANTS

e: holy poo poo, my car grew a pair. He's been hissing at the bathroom door (other cat is in there) every time he walks past it. The only time I've heard a hiss from him before was when his tail got stepped on. :doh: Should have expected that, but he's generally scared of his own shadow, and there was no aggression when they first saw each other.

Congratulations, you now have two cats.

E: Remember that rant I posted a couple nights ago? I heard back from the movie theatre, they totally weren't supposed to be closed and offered me a free ticket along with an appology. Turned down the ticket, I'm sure the doors will never be locked early again and that is good enough for me.

Fermented Tinal fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Dec 19, 2016

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

spog posted:

Okay, I watched Sons of Anarchy to the end of season two and I am officially done.

It's just a stream of bad decisions and personal angst.

Worst, every single crisis was their own fault that could have easily been solved had they shot the bad guy when they first met them and had the opportunity. Time after time, they are in dire straits with someone they could have easily killed 5 episodes ago and avoided the whole issue.

This is how I felt about Breaking Bad. Its so bad for how many people rant and rave about how amazing it is.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Breaking bad is really good. Not liking it doesn't make you edgy or cool

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

fridge corn posted:

Breaking bad is really good. Not liking it doesn't make you edgy or cool

Incorrect and irrelevant - not trying to be edgy/cool, just calling a poo poo show a poo poo show. I'm honestly at a loss as to how it became so popular. I forced myself to watch the first two seasons and I just couldn't keep going - it never got good.
But please keep being edgy/cool

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Siochain posted:

Incorrect and irrelevant - not trying to be edgy/cool, just calling a poo poo show a poo poo show. I'm honestly at a loss as to how it became so popular. I forced myself to watch the first two seasons and I just couldn't keep going - it never got good.

What was bad about it? Honest question

Siochain
May 24, 2005

fridge corn posted:

What was bad about it? Honest question

The entire plot line seemed contrived. The acting was excellent, but it was just a serious of people making incredibly stupid decisions/borderline "zany" antics occurring. Its basically "overly proud genius makes horrible decisions and fucks everything up". I really tried to like it, and its a genre/type of show I normally would like, but the whole thing was just so forced.

It may also be a kneejerk reaction to how many people sing its praises when its honestly (and obviously in my opinion but I'm the center of my own personal subjective universe so my opinion is king) not a very good show. I feel the same way about TWD as well, albeit not quite as strongly - its cool, but not amazing.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

West SAAB Story posted:

Goodbye, Grandma.

QuarkMartial posted:

Wife's grandmother died this morning around 2:30 am.
:glomp: sorry guys

Siochain posted:

To be fair season two was terrible and I barely made it through that. Picked up after that and I enjoyed it for the most part

We finished Westworld Saturday morning :drat: Couple plot holes and things that didn't seem right but what a show. I'll probably go back and rewatch to see what I missed.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Siochain posted:

The entire plot line seemed contrived. The acting was excellent, but it was just a serious of people making incredibly stupid decisions/borderline "zany" antics occurring. Its basically "overly proud genius makes horrible decisions and fucks everything up". I really tried to like it, and its a genre/type of show I normally would like, but the whole thing was just so forced.

It may also be a kneejerk reaction to how many people sing its praises when its honestly (and obviously in my opinion but I'm the center of my own personal subjective universe so my opinion is king) not a very good show. I feel the same way about TWD as well, albeit not quite as strongly - its cool, but not amazing.

I watched it live from mid-season one and feel the same way. It seemed like a show where the writers had a solid idea... For a couple seasons. Then they needed to add season after season, but had no over-arching plan. That made the ultimate result seem disjointed and forced.

That's a shame, because I thought the first couple seasons were excellent.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Siochain posted:

This is how I felt about Breaking Bad. Its so bad for how many people rant and rave about how amazing it is.

My wife also hated BB, for most of the same reasons. Also TWD is loving horrible.

Sons of Anarchy was sort of entertaining, but I stopped watching it after they killed off the only remaining character that I liked.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Siochain posted:

In addition to this, I had no empathy for the main character at all. Or his wife. Or his kid.

He could have died painfully of cancer and left her penniless and destitute and all I wouldn't have shed a tear for any of them.

Compare that to Tony Soprano who was an even worse person - and you felt that way - and yet there many moments of empathy with him where you were rooting for him to succeed.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Siochain posted:

I think this is the most common complaint about the show. I can see where youre coming from but personally I don't think it's meant to be taken that seriously. Theres this lovely undercurrent of absurdism and magical realism that permeates the entire show which I felt was a really refreshing turn from the usual hyper realism you see other shows attempting.

None of the characters are likeable because they are all completely absurd and frankly the show is hilarious so you should give it another go and not concentrate so much on the plot and enjoy the superb performances of the cast and the clever cinematography

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Siochain posted:

I have similar feelings about Deadwood. I just couldn't get into that show. I borrowed the complete show from my mentor who spoke so highly of it. I already don't like Westerns, then nobody seemed likable at all and I just couldn't care about any of the characters. In the end I finished the first episode and could not force myself to continue. I think I ended up doing vacuuming or something productive with my time. I wasn't being edgy or whatever, it just didn't click with me, and I wanted to watch a show that took such licence with all the swearing.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

iwentdoodie posted:

Also TWD is loving horrible.

It really is. I watched it for a while, but it just got too overly dark, like they are in some competition to out-gore and out-despot every other show.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

fridge corn posted:

I think this is the most common complaint about the show. I can see where youre coming from but personally I don't think it's meant to be taken that seriously. Theres this lovely undercurrent of absurdism and magical realism that permeates the entire show which I felt was a really refreshing turn from the usual hyper realism you see other shows attempting.

None of the characters are likeable because they are all completely absurd and frankly the show is hilarious so you should give it another go and not concentrate so much on the plot and enjoy the superb performances of the cast and the clever cinematography

And I don't see the absurdism as an undercurrent - its like a slap in the face. Its almost like I'm watching a really lovely SNL skit, but somehow it got several seasons and awards on its own. I also didn't find the cinematography particularly clever - it was well done, but nothing amazing. I mean, I love trashy TV, some serious TV, some clever TV, etc. I like most genres and most shows. BB is in a category that I ~should~ like, but it falls incredibly flat for me.

TWD is in the same boat, but I at least understand why it became popular. The seasons and plots are just so rote now, though...I watched 3 seasons of it, I enjoyed it, but it was far from a "must-watch" for me.

Currently, Westworld has my interest. I've also enjoyed the Netflix Marvel shows - they're not perfect, but I've enjoyed them thoroughly. I also watch random lovely shows to (NCIS, Criminal Minds, etc.) because they scratch an itch for mindless entertainment with a loosely-threaded sense of continuity. And I enjoy cartoons :P

I mean, watch what you want to watch, its all subjective, but I have had so many people insist I "missed" something about BB and TWD that I'm vehement about my opinion on them.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

spog posted:

Okay, I watched Sons of Anarchy to the end of season two and I am officially done.

It's just a stream of bad decisions and personal angst.

Worst, every single crisis was their own fault that could have easily been solved had they shot the bad guy when they first met them and had the opportunity. Time after time, they are in dire straits with someone they could have easily killed 5 episodes ago and avoided the whole issue.

just imagine this: it only gets worse.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Three-Phase posted:

Well it's too cloudy and early in the day to use an astrolabe...

You know that meme thing of Vince McMahon getting more and more excited? That was my reaction watching this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFNEqY6nn0g

:stare: such precision. I thought those were forged in a die. I didn't really realize how much work it took to make one of those... whatever that thing is. Crankshaft?

I know this is pretty far back, but I'm just catching up on this thread.

A CNC lathe/mill like that is basically the closest we've gotten to a Star Trek replicator. They are incredible.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Siochain posted:

And I don't see the absurdism as an undercurrent - its like a slap in the face. Its almost like I'm watching a really lovely SNL skit, but somehow it got several seasons and awards on its own. I also didn't find the cinematography particularly clever - it was well done, but nothing amazing. I mean, I love trashy TV, some serious TV, some clever TV, etc. I like most genres and most shows. BB is in a category that I ~should~ like, but it falls incredibly flat for me.

TWD is in the same boat, but I at least understand why it became popular. The seasons and plots are just so rote now, though...I watched 3 seasons of it, I enjoyed it, but it was far from a "must-watch" for me.

Currently, Westworld has my interest. I've also enjoyed the Netflix Marvel shows - they're not perfect, but I've enjoyed them thoroughly. I also watch random lovely shows to (NCIS, Criminal Minds, etc.) because they scratch an itch for mindless entertainment with a loosely-threaded sense of continuity. And I enjoy cartoons :P

I mean, watch what you want to watch, its all subjective, but I have had so many people insist I "missed" something about BB and TWD that I'm vehement about my opinion on them.

Can you name any shows that have better cinematograohy than breaking bad? You say it was good but nothing special, so what shows are special in that aspect?

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Siochain posted:

I mean, how do you think things would actually go if a previously straitlaced high school chemistry teacher without any prior criminal experience decided to start cooking meth using his background as a chemist?

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

fridge corn posted:

Can you name any shows that have better cinematograohy than breaking bad? You say it was good but nothing special, so what shows are special in that aspect?

This.I can understand why someone might not enjoy it from a writing/plot standpoint. However, Breaking Bad is just shot so well.

I've discovered I'm a cinematography whore over the last few years.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Siochain how do you manage to enjoy anything TV/movie related if your beef with Breaking Bad is people making incredibly stupid decisions? All TV and movies contain a certain level of absurdity in order to create situations...

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

Films are not documentaries. Don't expect them to be.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
I can understand where they are coming from. Being scientifically literate has made me dread going to the movies.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

I liked BB a lot, but grew to loath TWD. They don't deserve to be mentioned together.

TWD after season one has almost zero plot, it's just a question of what main character will die in a gruesome manner. No redeeming factors at all to make it interesting.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

CommieGIR posted:

I can understand where they are coming from. Being scientifically literate has made me dread going to the movies.

If he ever comes through your town, I highly recommend going to one of Neil deGrasse Tyson's lectures. When he came through Phoenix it was "An Astrophysicist At The Movies". Surprisingly hilarious.

Somewhat Heroic posted:

As someone with small kids that won't be able to see rogue one right away I appreciate the copious amounts of spoiler tags :hfive:

:same: Though my four year old really wants to see it in the theater so we might have to make that happen.

Goober Peas posted:

I dunno, my Kenmore appliances are holding up well - granted they're 15 years old. The microwave is probably going to be the first to die.

My 14 year old Amana microwave just bit the loving dust, and it's one of the over-the-range built-in ones. It looks like the job isn't too bad in the grand scheme of things. Still, that's the last thing I needed right now.

I'm leaning towards going LG on the microwave. I'd do a Panasonic inverter microwave but as far as I can tell, they don't sell over-the-range versions of them in the US.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

IOwnCalculus posted:

My 14 year old Amana microwave just bit the loving dust, and it's one of the over-the-range built-in ones. It looks like the job isn't too bad in the grand scheme of things. Still, that's the last thing I needed right now.

I'm leaning towards going LG on the microwave. I'd do a Panasonic inverter microwave but as far as I can tell, they don't sell over-the-range versions of them in the US.
This is just my worthless opinion, but I think over the range microwaves are awful. Too high up for kids to use when they get old enough without having to grab a stool, and as a hood they don't ventilate all that well.

I'd consider getting a nice hood and a regular microwave if you can stick it somewhere else. I stuck ours on a small table in our never-used dining room, right off the kitchen. Best thing ever, I don't have to look at another ugly appliance, and my 8 yo can reach it.

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

CommieGIR posted:

I used to be very much a stickler for "accuracy" in movies, before I became more familiar with film reading and criticism. Its really freeing to be able to be able to watch TV and movies on their own terms. Everything falls apart under too much technical scrutiny.

For example, Fury Road presents an utterly absurd world by any realistic standards. Can you imagine an apocalyptic scenario manifesting itself in that way? I can't. But that's not the point. The world is that way and by viewing it you are agreeing to accept that. The art-viewer relationship is firmly established. If you're willing to accept technical "inaccuracies" in a movie like that but not in something else, you'd better have a very good reason for doing so.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

IOwnCalculus posted:

Rip out the transformer and send it to me :)

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Wrar posted:

I've discovered I'm a cinematography whore over the last few years.

:same:

For me Breaking Bad was probably a top three best TV show of all time. Note that I did not say "favorite" show of all time. What BB was able to accomplish was that it challenged you to really examine your moral compass on how messed up the decisions people can make when compounded one on top of each other. The wacky things that happen along the way were good comedic shock factor just enough to detach you from reality. The first season sucked IMO.

Another show shot beautifully and for whatever reason I couldn't stop watching was Mad Men. Don Draper is a cool rear end character but also the sleaziest dude of all time and I have no doubt it burned when he pees.

If you are looking of a show that makes you want to exclaim :hellyeah: and :drat: then everyone should watch Justified which has the entire series (6 seasons) on Amazon. Very well executed story lines arcs ranging from episode/season long/series long that all have a very satisfying end. Plenty of snark and humor that makes each character really endearing. Plus Natalie Zea might be one of the easiest people to look at on the entire planet.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Although I enjoyed Breaking Bad a lot, I was much more excited when they announced Better Call Saul and I'd contend that it's a better show--at least, I like it more.

They've been shooting BCS season 3 around town lately; if you guys see a scene in the next season involving him at a satellite dish array, or at a flooring store, those locations are 2 blocks from my house. I also sent in some info about the Midget to a company that does automobile 'extras' for BCS on the off chance they want a bright yellow convertible for something.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

SCA Enthusiast posted:

For example, Fury Road presents an utterly absurd world by any realistic standards. Can you imagine an apocalyptic scenario manifesting itself in that way? I can't. But that's not the point. The world is that way and by viewing it you are agreeing to accept that. The art-viewer relationship is firmly established. If you're willing to accept technical "inaccuracies" in a movie like that but not in something else, you'd better have a very good reason for doing so.

...and the above is very good reason why Quentin Dupieaux's 'Rubber' is above such criticism as within the opening scene there's a ridiculous setpiece and one of the film's characters climbs out of the trunk of a car and addresses the viewer directly telling them the deal and that examining anything too closely is pointless and that sometimes things don't have to make sense. He then gets back in the trunk and gets driven off again.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

angryrobots posted:

This is just my worthless opinion, but I think over the range microwaves are awful. Too high up for kids to use when they get old enough without having to grab a stool, and as a hood they don't ventilate all that well.

I'd consider getting a nice hood and a regular microwave if you can stick it somewhere else. I stuck ours on a small table in our never-used dining room, right off the kitchen. Best thing ever, I don't have to look at another ugly appliance, and my 8 yo can reach it.

If I had any loving countertop space to stick a microwave, I'd consider it.

I'm not even certain that this thing is actually properly vented to the outside, I guess I'll find out when I rip it down :v:

CommieGIR posted:

Rip out the transformer and send it to me :)

I'll gut the motherfucker one way or the other so this can probably happen :getin:

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

Olympic Mathlete posted:

...and the above is very good reason why Quentin Dupieaux's 'Rubber' is above such criticism as within the opening scene there's a ridiculous setpiece and one of the film's characters climbs out of the trunk of a car and addresses the viewer directly telling them the deal and that examining anything too closely is pointless and that sometimes things don't have to make sense. He then gets back in the trunk and gets driven off again.

Rubber owns.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Motronic posted:

I know this is pretty far back, but I'm just catching up on this thread.

A CNC lathe/mill like that is basically the closest we've gotten to a Star Trek replicator. They are incredible.

I missed that post, so thanks for linking that. I find poo poo like that fascinating. It makes my brain hurt figuring out how to do that.

Question for someone that's programmed CnCs, do you just tell it the finished product and it makes the best way to get to it or do you have to tell it exactly which step and when to do it?

Goober Peas posted:

I dunno, my Kenmore appliances are holding up well - granted they're 15 years old. The microwave is probably going to be the first to die.
I suspect most people know this, but in case they don't, while Kenmore is a "Brand" - they don't actually manufacture anything. They have contracts with all the big appliance manufactures to make their stuff. Even though they say Kenmore, they are actually a Whirlpool, Maytag, Frigidaire, Bosch, etc. Often the literal exact same unit with a different brand name on it. A little digging will tell you exactly what it is.

That's a great example for why Consumer Reports is such a lovely magazine to base your purchasing decision on (my father-in-law does this all the time). They would have a Kenmore unit rated as #1 for ~whatever~ and the literal exact same unit but under a different brand name is 20 places further down the list from it, or vice versa.

I bought a washing machine once that was sold under 3 different brands, GE, Kenmore and Frigidaire. They were literally identical between all of them other than a label or maybe 1 had an option of a slightly higher spin speed. The Kenmore was highly rated, the Frigidaire middle of the pack, the GE was one to avoid. Even though they all came from the very same Electrolux (Frigidaire) factory and had the exact same parts on them.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:hfive:

my dude

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

IOwnCalculus posted:

If I had any loving countertop space to stick a microwave, I'd consider it.

I'm not even certain that this thing is actually properly vented to the outside, I guess I'll find out when I rip it down :v:

If it's anything like mine, it just sucks air up from over the range, passes it through a filter or two (dear god those are loving nasty if you forget to clean them for a while), and then vents it back into the room. Sucks rear end when something gets a bit extra crispy and all the vent does is blow the smoke around the room, but I guess that's what the window over the sink is for.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

I've never actually seen a house in person with the kitchen vent fan properly vented to the outside.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

The end of the first season of TWD pissed me off so much I couldn't watch anymore. Everything that I have heard/couple episodes I have seen support that choice. Breaking Bad's first season was loving amazing, but went down hill from there. I think I made it to the end of season 3 or 4 and completely lost interest in it.

Its kind of dumb, but I love The Blacklist. It is totally insane and unrealistic, but entertaining. Same with Burn Notice, I have watched the entire series multiple times, but I still put it on for mindless entertainment.

Previa_fun posted:

I've never actually seen a house in person with the kitchen vent fan properly vented to the outside.

One of my old rental houses had a microwave above the stove that had a "vent" built into it. I say "vent" cause it just blew the air back out on top of the microwave, which was perfect face level for me. One of the things I am most looking forward to when we remodel our kitchen is having a proper ventilation system.

slurry_curry fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Dec 19, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

slurry_curry posted:

The end of the first season of TWD pissed me off so much I couldn't watch anymore. Everything that I have heard/couple episodes I have seen support that choice. Breaking Bad's first season was loving amazing, but went down hill from there. I think I made it to the end of season 3 or 4 and completely lost interest in it.

Its kind of dumb, but I love The Blacklist. It is totally insane and unrealistic, but entertaining. Same with Burn Notice, I have watched the entire series multiple times, but I still put it on for mindless entertainment.

One of my old rental houses had a microwave above the stove that had a "vent" built into it. I say "vent" cause it just blew the air back out on top of the microwave, which was perfect face level for me. One of the things I am most looking forward to when we remodel our kitchen is having a proper ventilation system.

TWD is one of the worst shows on tv. The only reason I watch it anymore is to answer specific questions when customers ask how different it is from the also terrible comics.

• Locked thread