Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I wouldn't mind watching her aimlessly walk down a Georgia back road to pad the running time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Show was best when Merle and Shane were on it

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Well yeah, because they were interesting characters

The only character in the group that is left that I'm personally interested in is Rick. I also liked Eugene but he's done poo poo all all season

The rest of the characters just feel like filler

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

I hope Eugene machines up some robotic arms and fights zombies Doc Ock-style like in the dream I had last night

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Zzulu posted:

The only character in the group that is left that I'm personally interested in is Rick. I also liked Eugene but he's done poo poo all all season

I just asked myself what characters I still liked and realized the answer was "Dead, dead, ruined, dead, ruined, dead"

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007

Zzulu posted:

Yeh when they did the slow mo reunited team thing at the end of the last episode I was thinking poo poo is this what passes for the main cast now...Tara and Enid? Even Sasha and Rosita are boring (but sexy) as hell.

Kinda just leaves Ricky bobby, Michone, and Daryl. Coral will never be remotely interesting and I dont like what they are doing with Corals character because its ....just boring. gently caress the whole show is just a boring hatewatch at this point.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Zzulu posted:

Yeah best thing for the show would be to kill off Rick and have us follow a new pack of zombie apocalypse scavengers. TWD: TNG

This group has had its day and the only choices left are for the characters to keep spinning their wheels (narratively boring) or giving the actors the chance to change the behaviour of their character (eg Carol, and Rick in previous few episodes) which is frustrating for viewers.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Binary Logic posted:

Yeah best thing for the show would be to kill off Rick and have us follow a new pack of zombie apocalypse scavengers. TWD: TNG

Perhaps they could start off in LA...

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
I gotta say my favorite part of this show is the extremely outlandish walker kills, such as the flare-zombie kill Rick made in season 5 I think it was.
You just don't see cool stuff like that anymore and its sad : (

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

My favorite moment when FTWD started to lose me was when the military leaves the neighborhood with no warning so the 'family' or whatever leaves and decides to leave the gates open so their neighbors get killed by zombies. With the dad making some quip about his neighbors being part of the problem or some nonsense.

I was like the hell? Who acts that way other than sociopaths? They barely even showed the other living neighbors in that compound.

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Note to self: This one's the shitty one
FTWD's characters are all sociopaths. That's pretty much the point. The issue is that the writing is so loving bad that there's zero subtly to it. They're just lovely people for the sake of being lovely people because "plot".

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

AbrahamLincolnLog posted:

FTWD's characters are all sociopaths. That's pretty much the point. The issue is that the writing is so loving bad that there's zero subtly to it. They're just lovely people for the sake of being lovely people because "plot".

You give the writers of that show way too much credit. You're not wrong, they are all sociopaths but I think it's because the writers are sociopaths themselves. The show seems to endorse their horrible poo poo constantly.

FlamingLiberal posted:

My favorite moment when FTWD started to lose me was when the military leaves the neighborhood with no warning so the 'family' or whatever leaves and decides to leave the gates open so their neighbors get killed by zombies. With the dad making some quip about his neighbors being part of the problem or some nonsense.

I was like the hell? Who acts that way other than sociopaths? They barely even showed the other living neighbors in that compound.

Keep in mind this was on the way to feeding an entire army base to zombies because one guy, under massive torture, started saying stupid poo poo. Yes, a main character tortured info out of a soldier and the show treated it like he was being the reasonable one.

Then the show goes out of it's way to show us the military base is trying to evacuate everyone, and doing what they can, but yep. Our heroes fed them all to zombies and got every injured person in the facility killed too because they couldn't evacuate them.

The show still thinks they're the good guys, though, which is why it's pure what the gently caress. If the show KNEW they are the villains it'd be a different beast, because man, they are the shittiest people this side of literal cannibals.

ED: I actually take that back since I am fairly sure not Depp ate someone with zombies.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Dec 18, 2016

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
It turns out the El Salvardorian dad was a professional torturer in a death squad, and he kidnaps a soldier and tortures him for information, and everybody just kinda rolls with it, nobody has any serious problems with him doing that.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Astroman posted:

Perhaps they could start off in LA...

I think the most hilarious thing about them picking a major city is how the plot literally indicated for WEEKS the dead were rising and becoming zombies, and the show OPENS with a zombie attack in a church.. except then nobody notices.

Zombies are apparently super ninjas that can disappear mysteriously and bide their time, because there is literally no other explanation for why this didn't get noticed in like a day, not weeks or more. It was so stupid.

As someone who literally saw a homeless woman in LA start crawling around on the sidewalk lunging and biting at people's ankles (seriously), I can attest that poo poo brought down no less than 3 cruisers in 10 minutes. Pretty sure multiple zombies running around are going to get noticed, not to mention funeral homes becoming more lively..

Guy Goodbody posted:

It turns out the El Salvardorian dad was a professional torturer in a death squad, and he kidnaps a soldier and tortures him for information, and everybody just kinda rolls with it, nobody has any serious problems with him doing that.

Fun fact: One episode he just goes nuts out of absolutely nowhere. I mean it literally; he suddenly starts talking to visions and rambling.

I thought someone slipped him drugs in his soup but nope, all him, the writers just smoked some crack and said "You know what'd be awesome if he was suddenly insane"

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Dec 18, 2016

Acacia REI
Oct 8, 2016

Nah, FlamingLiberal is definitely right about this. Every once in a while, the show actually does acknowledge how psychotic the characters are and I'm pretty sure they are being build up to be villains. The problem is, the writers are just really bad at actually executing such a plot.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Saw an article about how brutal Daryl's beating of Fat Joseph was. They cut the actual violence out of the final version, but I guess the intent was to show that Daryl was just doing what Negan had done?

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I feel like tonight's going to be the worst episode yet

ddiddles
Oct 21, 2008

Roses are red, violets are blue, I'm a schizophrenic and so am I

moist turtleneck posted:

I feel like tonight's going to be the worst episode yet

There is no episode tonight, which means it will be the best one of the season.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
NOTHING HAPPENED AGAIN

Eyochigan
Dec 13, 2006

It's not rape unless I explicitly see it!
So I read or heard that JDM had to kill every actor for coverage/to keep it a secret, whatever. I found this on my youtube feed. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxpkjiffJA0
Like some other nerd in the comments said, I think it would have been a neat twist to have Maggie and Glenn switch places both then and now. On the other hand it was an iconic moment and people would riot.

edit: He said he felt really uncomfortable and felt bad for putting the actors through the range of emotions. they used a prop bat but he was still making contact with their heads. They tried using a stand-in/stunt double but he couldn't get the swing right so JDM just did it all himself.

Eyochigan fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Dec 19, 2016

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Acacia REI posted:

Nah, FlamingLiberal is definitely right about this. Every once in a while, the show actually does acknowledge how psychotic the characters are and I'm pretty sure they are being build up to be villains. The problem is, the writers are just really bad at actually executing such a plot.

I've been wrong about things before but I am 99% sure that they don't know they are villains.

What they are thinking is "Wowa, man, like.. if we totally make them do some like CRAZY poo poo for family it'll like, be cool and deep because like, family is everything man, right? I mean Rick does some hosed up poo poo, we need up that to show how dedicated these characters are to each other. Hey you got anymore of that acid, man? These shrooms aren't like loving strong enough."

My estimates of this factor in the fact they think the whole the dead-are-people thing is super clever and won't let it die. It's like the show runner thinks the look at the flowers girl was onto something.

Eyochigan posted:

So I read or heard that JDM had to kill every actor for coverage/to keep it a secret, whatever. I found this on my youtube feed. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxpkjiffJA0
Like some other nerd in the comments said, I think it would have been a neat twist to have Maggie and Glenn switch places both then and now. On the other hand it was an iconic moment and people would riot.

As this was all super lovely negotiation tactics on behalf of AMC, I hope they made each actor watch the Negan scene with their character dying, then just slid a contract across a desk.

ED: If the above scenario happened more or less I hope Abraham's actor told AMC to suck his nuts.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Dec 19, 2016

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Eyochigan posted:

edit: He said he felt really uncomfortable and felt bad for putting the actors through the range of emotions. they used a prop bat but he was still making contact with their heads. They tried using a stand-in/stunt double but he couldn't get the swing right so JDM just did it all himself.

Those two episodes were so bad that I don't think it really mattered who died.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Saw an article about how brutal Daryl's beating of Fat Joseph was. They cut the actual violence out of the final version, but I guess the intent was to show that Daryl was just doing what Negan had done?
It was probably more of a 'character who was tortured, beaten, and psychologically assaulted in many different ways lashes out at the first captor he sees'

He just snapped. We still have no idea how long he was captive but I would say it was at least weeks.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I think it was actually about 5 days, no joke.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

The one episode was 5 days but he was in there until this last episode. It's probably closer to two weeks

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

He escaped at the same time that Carl rode back with Negan to Alexandria. Carl rode back with Negan the day after Negan had visited Alexandria the first time, which was less than a week after they first met him.

It's possible that I'm forgetting something.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I may be confused because I forgot that the Tara episode starts in the past? Or maybe not.
This show is awful with time.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

Guy Goodbody posted:

I wouldn't mind watching her aimlessly walk down a Georgia back road to pad the running time.
Heh, speaking of padding- I just finished the latest episode. What was up with the 3 minute smile-at-each-other montage? I also missed a few episodes from the current season- what happened that made Carol go from ultra-adaptable, terminator bad-rear end to Morgan-lite? She blew up Terminus with a rifle, and blended in with Alexandria's first invaders by wiping blood letters on her forehead.

melon cat fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Dec 19, 2016

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
The smiles indicate that they are ready to start murdering some folk again, something they deeply desire

cjg
Sep 5, 2003

Blazing Ownager posted:

Except there's a problem. The show runners treated the plane as if it just crashed - there was a wounded guy in one of the seats with a spike through him still bleeding out, because it was such a recent crash, in fact. Though there's a problem. The show had progressed around a month or two by that point, so, the chain of events with this airplane are:

That was a different plane.

You are bad at watching TV.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

melon cat posted:

Heh, speaking of padding- I just finished the latest episode. What was up with the 3 minute smile-at-each-other montage? I also missed a few episodes from the current season- what happened that made Carol go from ultra-adaptable, terminator bad-rear end to Morgan-lite? She blew up Terminus with a rifle, and blended in with Alexandria's first invaders by wiping blood letters on her forehead.

Basically Carol grew increasingly uneasy with her role as badass super murderer, culminating in a raid on a Saviours compound where they stabbed a bunch of people in their sleep. That tipped her over the edge, she decided she didn't want to kill people anymore. But Carol's not a moron, she knows that to stay alive and protect the people she cares about, she needs to be a murder machine. So she came to the conclusion that she would just wander off into the woods to die alone. No one to protect, nothing to fight for, she would just stop killing and if the horrible zombie world killed her, so be it.

But she's still a person. she has the natural urges to survive and connect with other people. And she's a badass, so when she's put in a tough situation, she'll murder dudes in a heartbeat, it's just her nature.

So that's Carol's current deal. She doesn't want to live in a world where she has to kill, but she also wants to live. She doesn't want to be a badass, but she's uncontrollably badass. Those conflicting urges have been pulling her apart for the past few episodes.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum

cjg posted:

I'm pretty sure they allude to all planes being grounded in the first couple weeks, don't they? And isn't that supposed to be the plane from those one minute episodes?

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

FlamingLiberal posted:

I may be confused because I forgot that the Tara episode starts in the past? Or maybe not.
This show is awful with time.

Yeah, Tara and Heath took off after the satellite station raid. I'm not sure exactly how long that was before the first confrontation with Negan.

I realy wouldn't mind a creepy thematic calendar at the beginning of every episode that was like "x# of days since collapse" or something.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Yeah, Tara and Heath took off after the satellite station raid. I'm not sure exactly how long that was before the first confrontation with Negan.

I realy wouldn't mind a creepy thematic calendar at the beginning of every episode that was like "x# of days since collapse" or something.

But then they'd have to pay attention to timelines and that's hard work! For right now they make a collage of episodes and go "yeah that should fit"

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

moist turtleneck posted:

But then they'd have to pay attention to timelines and that's hard work! For right now they make a collage of episodes and go "yeah that should fit"

You gotta wonder if it just didn't occur to them how stupid it is for Daryl to break after like 3 days because they didn't even realize it had only been 3 days according to their own timeline.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
If Merle was alive he could be making Biker Meth for the Saviours in exchange for Daryll :c00lbert:

fuckingtest
Mar 31, 2001

Just evolving, you know?
Right Here, Right Now.
Uncanny.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

cjg posted:

No dude, you are bad at watching TV. That was the same plane.

It was a big hype point that the characters from the short would be crashing at that point in time. They are literally the same characters from the short. AMC did this as a promotion to try to die that worthless short into the franchise. In fact one character from the short is still alive.

And yes, this plane in the short was taking off before the zombie outbreak, and then was found crashed with people still bleeding out inside of it weeks after the zombie outbreak.

So yeah, time traveling airplane, canyon sized plot hole. :dealwithit:

ED: I feel I should submit evidence to this stupidity

The Short:http://walkingdead.wikia.com/wiki/Fear_The_Walking_Dead:_Flight_462
The Joining: http://undeadwalking.com/2016/03/29/fear-the-walking-dead-adds-michelle-ang-to-season-2/

So you are suggesting the people of flight 462 escaped the crashed plane, immediately swam to an Island where a recent passenger jet crashed entirely unrelated to them, and then spent the remaining weeks running around avoiding passengers of a completely unrelated crashed plane which was a recent crash? I do think you're pretty far off on this one.

quote:

While searching nearby houses for drugs, Nick witnesses Flight 462 fly directly over him. The plane is dangerously low and out-of-control. Alex, Deirdre, and the rest of the passengers brace for impact. The plane disappears over the horizon, and Nick stares in shock and confusion. The ultimate fates of everybody aboard Flight 462 are left unknown until Season 2 Episode 3 "Ouroboros" where it is revealed that it had crashed into the coast, killing everyone on board save for a few passengers.

quote:

Fear The Walking Dead teased for a long time that one cast member from the Flight 462 miniseries would join the show’s second season. Now, it has been revealed that Charlie, played by Michelle Ang, will be the survivor of the insane flight.

Literally the only reason this is stupid-broken is they put a bleeding to death character in the flight, unless he was just standing around there for weeks (since before they even left their town) bleeding out, no problem.

ED: Oh one last thing, they tried to tie this together with the main series at the end, which actually broke the plane BEFORE this happened. Nick sees the plane crash as the military patrols their town, so this means again, the kid talking to his mom having no idea what zombies are and having no idea there is any sort of crisis beyond rumors makes the timing not at all match up from the very start. It also doesn't match up with season 1 because the lights went out in the city in the short, and that didn't happen until they were leaving LA.

Basically nothing about that loving plane makes even one bit of sense. I know it seems too stupid to have happened and maybe your brain is trying to fill in these gaps but yeah, it is a clusterfuck.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Dec 19, 2016

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Yeah I'm leaning more towards

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Goddamn, it's like he hooked up with the actress that played Riso in Starship Troopers and this is their clone baby