Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
during which ancient egyptian month will blackberry die?
thout
paopi
hathor
koiak
tobi
meshir
paremhat
paremoude
pashons
paoni
epip
mesori
gasthred
banop
RIM'S GONNA KEEP GOING BABY!!!
View Results

• Locked thread
Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

minivanmegafun posted:

I know we're all being fishmech'd (about Macs in the blackberry thread of all places) but really where are these mythical macs running windows

like, I've probably seen hundreds if not thousands of macs on people's desks in the past few years. a very small percentage have Linux installed. I don't think I've seen one that boots windows by preference period

I guess my sample size is skewed as they're almost exclusively being used by engineers; but my current place is a ~200 head count, the majority in non-tech operations/sales, mac-only shop. part of employee orientation is a mac 101 class (here's how you print, here's how you use Preview.app to sign docs, isn't that neat).

production servers at a place I used to work were Mac minis running unmatched XP because one of the patches introduced the JS line counter to IE 6 which would halt execution of the processing software which was a mess of JS and frames that of course would only run on that old IE version

I learned a lot about how not to do things in that job

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

minivanmegafun posted:

I know we're all being fishmech'd (about Macs in the blackberry thread of all places) but really where are these mythical macs running windows

see them all the time at starbucks etc.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

fishmech posted:

see them all the time at starbucks etc.

lmao you go to Starbucks

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

FrozenVent posted:

there is no os but OS X and Stebe its prophet

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

mishaq posted:

if only blackberry made bb messenger cross platform 5 years ago they could have been bought by facebook for significantly more than their present market cap

they could have used them to make their stupid failed facebook phone too

they also could have just bought kik messenger instead of trying to sue it out of existence for copying such highly patented features of BBM such as 'delivered' and 'read' statuses on messages but welp

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

i run my imac in windows for a video game. all i do otherwise is just shitpost so its good enough. i'd rather be in osx, but im too lazy to switch back and forth anytime I'm gonna play a game.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
i dual-boot windows 7 and windows 7 safe mode on my pc

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

welp

quote:

BlackBerry has announced a long term licensing agreement with TCL granting them the rights to design, manufacture, sell and provide customer support for BlackBerry-branded mobile devices.

Under the terms of the agreement, BlackBerry will license its security software and service suite, as well as related brand assets to TCL Communication who will design, manufacture, sell and provide customer support for BlackBerry-branded mobile devices. BlackBerry will continue to control and develop its security and software solutions, serve its customers and maintain trusted BlackBerry security software, while TCL Communication will manage all sales and distribution and serve as a global distributor of new BlackBerry-branded mobile devices along with dedicated sales teams.

BlackBerry is transitioning its handheld devices strategy to focus on providing secure and comprehensive software for devices around the world, while working with third parties to develop hardware and distribute and market the BlackBerry handset brand. The agreement with TCL Communication is BlackBerry's first global licensing agreement and expands on its existing relationship, which led to the introduction of the DTEK50 and DTEK60 handsets on Android.

"At TCL Communication, we are committed to creating the best portfolio solutions, while ensuring the quality support to consumers and enterprise users who trust the integrity of the BlackBerry device and the brand's security leadership, coupled with the Android platform," said Nicolas Zibell, CEO of TCL Communication. "Together with BlackBerry's smartphone software platform, this partnership will strengthen our position in the global mobile market."

"This agreement with TCL Communication represents a key step in our strategy to focus on putting the 'smart in the phone' by providing state-of-the-art security and device software on a platform that mobile users prefer and are comfortable with," said Ralph Pini, Chief Operating Officer and General Manager of Mobility Solutions at BlackBerry. "TCL Communication is the natural choice to license BlackBerry's software and brand on a global scale. We successfully partnered with them on the DTEK series of secure smartphones and we've been impressed with their excellence in hardware design, development and manufacturing. With our unparalleled expertise in mobile security and software and TCL Communication's vast global reach and consumer access, we are confident that BlackBerry-branded products developed and distributed by TCL Communication will address the needs of BlackBerry users and expand the availability of BlackBerry Secure products throughout the world."

TCL Communication will be the exclusive global manufacturer and distributor for all BlackBerry-branded smartphones with the exception of India, Sri Lanka, Nepal, Bangladesh and Indonesia.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

quote:

focus on putting the 'smart in the phone'
:raise:

that is some confusingly specific punctuation

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Lazaridis and Balsillie are probably on some tropical island surrounded by hookers and blow, checking their email on their Samstungs

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Binary Badger posted:

Lazaridis and Balsillie are probably on some tropical island surrounded by hookers and blow, checking their email on their Samstungs

they both used to be billionaires. today they are 9 figure chumps, never to return to the three comma club

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

if there is any loving trigger for the blackberry pool its this

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
:rip: :gas: :fork: it's over. hang up your pink ties. no more canadachat boyos.

e: :cb:

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

:rip:

i remember my work issued bold in 2008

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Binary Badger posted:

haha nope.

http://quantumvalleyinvestments.com/

quote:

Through Quantum Valley Investments Mike Lazaridis and Doug Fregin, founders of the “Smart Phone” industry, have been focusing on the commercialization of breakthrough technologies in Quantum Information Science. By doing so they are continuing to further their shared vision toward the development of the “Quantum Valley” in the Waterloo Region of Canada.

They just completed construction on this.

https://www.wlu.ca/lazaridis-school-of-business-and-economics/

This is what Jim is up to
https://www.cigionline.org/person/jim-balsillie

And

https://www.balsillieschool.ca/

And then people wonder why top talent won't stick around Waterloo.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

The end of an era. I remember reading one of these threads back in 2010, jesus time flys that was 6 years ago

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry

looks like an apple store

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
Quantum Valley sweet lord lol

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

Scott Forstall posted:

Quantum Valley sweet lord

Mods, please change my name to this, tia

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer
Sweet Quantum Valley High

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Waterloo, couldn't escape if you wanted to

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Sham bam bamina! posted:

:raise:

that is some confusingly specific punctuation

1. you cut a hole in the phone
2. you put your smart in the phone
3. you launch the phone
and thats how you get a blackberry phone 🎁

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

mishaq posted:

:rip:

i remember my work issued bold in 2008

lol that they bought good so now they just push everyone to use that pile of sad apps instead of a whole sad phone but so far they havent even tried bbm instead of the lync client good makes

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Agile Vector posted:

1. you cut a hole in the phone
2. you put your smart in the phone
3. you launch the phone
and thats how you get a blackberry phone 🎁

I put the smart in your mom but she's too heavy to launch fyi

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

ahmeni posted:

Sweet Quantum Valley High

lol

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Bonzo posted:

haha nope.
http://quantumvalleyinvestments.com/

They just completed construction on this.
https://www.wlu.ca/lazaridis-school-of-business-and-economics/

This is what Jim is up to
https://www.cigionline.org/person/jim-balsillie

And
https://www.balsillieschool.ca/

And then people wonder why top talent won't stick around Waterloo.

if i wanted to spend money to learn how to bury my head in the sand, i could just go to the zoo and see an ostrich

yes, i know they don't actually bury their heads in the sand

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Mister Macys posted:

if i wanted to spend money to learn how to bury my head in the sand, i could just go to the zoo and see an ostrich

yes, i know they don't actually bury their heads in the sand

if you took their class then instead of admitting anything about ostriches you could declare this thread unfair and storm out

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
no pedestrian is safe

Reuters posted:

Canada's BlackBerry Ltd (BB.TO) will open an autonomous driving research center on Monday, as it tries to make itself an indispensable under-the-hood piece of the automotive industry's weaponry in the self-driving vehicle arms race.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau will attend the launch by the Waterloo, Ontario-based smartphone pioneer, the prime minister's office said on Sunday. A Blackberry spokeswoman deferred any comment on the project until Monday.

Blackberry, once known for its phones but now betting its future on the more profitable business of making software and managing mobile devices after largely ceding the smartphone market to the likes of Apple and Samsung, is expanding subsidiary QNX's Ottawa facility to focus on developing advanced driver assistance and autonomous vehicle technology.

After a detour where QNX's industrial-focused software was used to reinvent the now-discarded BlackBerry phone operating system, BlackBerry is focused on how its embedded software interacts with the explosion of sensors, cameras and other components required for a car to drive itself.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
which egyptian month is it, anyway?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

The Kins posted:

no pedestrian is safe

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau will attend the launch by the Waterloo, Ontario-based smartphone pioneer, the prime minister's office said on Sunday.

vindicating my choice to vote ndp every day

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

yeah, i'm sure that blackberry, who start their r&d 5 years later than everyone else, will somehow become indispensable for self-driving cars

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
qnx has been big in automotive for a long time. presumably they want to provide a base OS for self driving cars with drivers for the most common sensor types and abstract car controls, and leave the actual driving smarts to the individual implementors. that would be the smart thing to do since they don't have the money to actually do real self driving development.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
bbrys value has to be entirely with the handful of actual useful companies they managed to buy when they were flush (good and qnx, maybe some others). much like yahoo whose entire value was in a couple of lucky investments they had mad over the years (alibaba, yahoo japan)

sounds like theyre dumping the handset biz altogether (maybe license out the name to some cut rate android devices in the developing world) and running whats left as a technology holding company. probably the best play at this point

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

FMguru posted:

bbrys value has to be entirely with the handful of actual useful companies they managed to buy when they were flush (good and qnx, maybe some others). much like yahoo whose entire value was in a couple of lucky investments they had mad over the years (alibaba, yahoo japan)

this is most very large companies after years of mergers and acquisitions

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Wheany posted:

yeah, i'm sure that blackberry, who start their r&d 5 years later than everyone else, will somehow become indispensable for self-driving cars

with a small group of qnx engineers and the few middle manager directors and vps that survived the purges over the years, there's a wealth of talent to take on google, tesla and uber!

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

mishaq posted:

with a small group of qnx engineers and the few middle manager directors and vps that survived the purges over the years, there's a wealth of talent to take on google, tesla and uber!

you're aware uber's "research" program mostly consists of saying "boy self driving cars sure would be great for us" right

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

fishmech posted:

you're aware uber's "research" program mostly consists of saying "boy self driving cars sure would be great for us" right

especially now that the actual robotocists keep quitting

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

fishmech posted:

i thought they poached a bunch of cmu researchers

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

mishaq posted:

i thought they poached a bunch of cmu researchers

many of whom have left/quit, many others barely do anything on the self-driving cars because uber isn't really spending that much on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

that's some "I'm pretty good at Mario, I could probably engineer my own video game console"-level hubris

• Locked thread