Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

they say the demo is the worst way to experience it because you don't spend hundreds of hours on The Grind

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

haveblue posted:

Yeah, it's gorgeous. I loved the idea of a dystopian cyberpunk Paris (and it took this American a very long time to realize the joke behind "Meripherique").

This has been the wallpaper on my ipad since shortly after the game came out:

I like how the terrorists are called Errorists, because it sounds like how you'd say terrorist in a really bad French accent.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

monster hunter is good if you like to spend a half hour fighting one monster

however as someone who likes Ys, that concept sounds like the antithesis to fun for me

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I like lots of other Monster Hunter style games but not Monster Hunter for some reason.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

oddium posted:

they say the demo is the worst way to experience it because you don't spend hundreds of hours on The Grind

I think its actually because it doesnt have the multiplayer. Multi makes that game a lot more fun

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
I'd like to play a monster hunter style game but there don't seem to be very many. There is an anime one on steam but thats all I know of.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Toukiden is good if you want to hunt monsters without all the fiddly bits of Monster Hunter and with a faster pace. The weapons are pretty varied, and you can have up to 3 other party members.

I didn't have any problems with the port once I figured out there was some specific setting that you need to flip, though unfortunately I can't remember what it was.

God Eater is okay, but is quickly lacking in variety unless you really get into the bullet editing system which is pretty impenetrable.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Dec 19, 2016

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

MMF Freeway posted:

I'd like to play a monster hunter style game but there don't seem to be very many. There is an anime one on steam but thats all I know of.

Toukiden is on Steam and that's my favourite, I heard the port wasn't great though but I dunno if they've fixed it since then. God Eater is on there and isn't bad too.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I was finally liking Monster Hunter, until my 3DS kept crashing on everything.

And now I can't even buy a replacement system because Pokemon and the Holidays made those bastards hard to come by.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

In Training posted:

I think its actually because it doesnt have the multiplayer. Multi makes that game a lot more fun

I think the demos specifically do have multiplayer though.

My friend who likes the series said the problem with them was that they pit you against monsters you'd be fighting past the tutorial monsters because the tutorial monsters aren't very interesting

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

FirstAidKite posted:

I'm not a big fan of monster hunter either, but that is based on playing demos on the 3DS and apparently that's like the worst way to experience monster hunter or something?? idk, the camera felt way too zoomed in and I couldn't get a good feel for combat.

I really want to get into Monster Hunter but I've never taken the plunge on actually buying one, so I've only played the demos and never really got a hang of the controls. I feel like I'd also like it better if I had a New 3DS with the extra little control nub thing for the camera, but I have a normal 3DS XL instead.

If they release a Monster Hunter for the Switch I'll probably pick it up. It seems like a thing I'd like. I like the idea of the setting--weirdly anachronistic technology and shapeshifting weapons combined with what looks like a hunter/gatherer society is insane but also cool--and I like fighting big monsters. And the transforming weapons seem fun, like the Charge Blade and the Switch Axe (though I don't really like the super-slow weapons in Souls games so I'll probably stay away from fan favorites like the Greatsword). I've just never really given it a fair shot.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
The design choices behind Peace Walker become more clear when you remember the dev team stated it was designed specifically to capture the Monster Hunter market the PSP had at the time years ago.

That doesn't make the final boss fight against Peace Walker itself any better, the reason it takes for loving ever to beat just becomes clearer.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Mr E posted:

I played a bunch of Dungeonmans this weekend and it's very good. I played a little bit of Caves of Qud and die a bunch but I think it's good.

Have you been a Wizardmans yet? Playing as one after that patch made it an extremely fun class with a fire shotgun spell.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

StrixNebulosa posted:

Have you been a Wizardmans yet? Playing as one after that patch made it an extremely fun class with a fire shotgun spell.

Yeah I really like Wizardmans, but think Bannermans is my favorite so far. I've heard I should start playing as a Dungeonmans instead of an actual class? I've got the alchemist maxed out I think, but somehow missed the blacksmith upgrades until recently.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
That monster hunter monster version of metal gear rex was cool

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

it's especially fun because he'll one/two shot you even in the bulky plate camo so it's better to wear nothing at all for the extra speed. s ranking the mission requires stamina killing it though which means constantly requesting supply drops for the tranq rifle 😥

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Mr E posted:

Yeah I really like Wizardmans, but think Bannermans is my favorite so far. I've heard I should start playing as a Dungeonmans instead of an actual class? I've got the alchemist maxed out I think, but somehow missed the blacksmith upgrades until recently.

Dungeonmans basically gives you total control over what points go where. I like using it to start dual-classing immediately - but it also works for straight "I am a Wizardmans"

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

Avast ye lubbers, lest ye be scuppered!
What is the best Musou game? After not playing one since Dynasty Warriors 2 (which I bought at the launch of the PS2), I recently picked up Dynasty Warriors 8 Xtreme Grade Awesome Edition on a whim and was reminded how much I love these games. I also got Dragon Quest Heroes which I'm having fun with (am only a couple hours into the campaign), and based on the chat here it sounds like Hyrule Warriors is worth picking up on the 3DS. Is there one outside of these three that I should make sure to check out?

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Only get Hyrule Warriors Legends if you have a New 3DS or else the game will look shittier and run at a lower framerate and not spawn as many enemies which can make certain requirements for A-Rank that much harder.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Like repetitive is I guess a justifiable criticism of Musou but if you think Hyrule Warriors is easy, you just haven't played the hard parts yet, because it is very definitely the hardest game that I've played this generation of consoles.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

The later bits of adventure mode + the dlc are absolutely brutal.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
Today is the 30th anniversary of the original Kid Icarus!

It's a terrible game but it brought us Kid Icarus: Uprising 25 years later so it should be celebrated just for that! Happy birthday Kid Icarus!

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

It also has some pretty kickin' rad music!!

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

oddium posted:

they tricked me into getting monster hunter and i won't let them do the same with dynasty warriors zelda

hyrule warriors is really good because koei finally worked up the courage to experiment with new, fun weapons since they weren't tied to ancient china for once

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I finally got around to trying out HITMAN (2016) ENTER A WORLD OF ASSASSINATION and it freaking pwns. I got silent assassin suit only and level 20 mastery but I still want to unlock the Vampire outfit which is going to be way harder. some of those kills seem really hard to pull off. Also at this point I may as well just do all the assassinations because Ive only got like 6 left but i dont wanna hang out on the second floor of the balcony for 30 minutes waiting for the fashion show to end just for that one kill.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I haven't played Colorado/Japan so idk if one of them tops it but Sapienza is probably the best map in any Hitman so look forward to that

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Help Im Alive posted:

I haven't played Colorado/Japan so idk if one of them tops it but Sapienza is probably the best map in any Hitman so look forward to that

This is my first Hitman game so I don't really have any context but I lost 9 hours yesterday exploring every nook and cranny I could on Paris.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
They do not top Sapienza but I think Hokkaido is really good. Colorado is just okay

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

In Training posted:

I finally got around to trying out HITMAN (2016) ENTER A WORLD OF ASSASSINATION and it freaking pwns. I got silent assassin suit only and level 20 mastery but I still want to unlock the Vampire outfit which is going to be way harder. some of those kills seem really hard to pull off. Also at this point I may as well just do all the assassinations because Ive only got like 6 left but i dont wanna hang out on the second floor of the balcony for 30 minutes waiting for the fashion show to end just for that one kill.

hitman is goty. also i don't know if the show ever ends naturally, i there are two triggers

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

oddium posted:

hitman is goty. also i don't know if the show ever ends naturally, i there are two triggers

Does taking out Sato make Viktor take the stage? The only time I ever saw the speech was actually my first attempt at the level when I accidentally wound up at the perfect place and time to drop the chandelier on Viktor while he was on stage

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

In Training posted:

Does taking out Sato make Viktor take the stage? The only time I ever saw the speech was actually my first attempt at the level when I accidentally wound up at the perfect place and time to drop the chandelier on Viktor while he was on stage

the ones i'm thinking of are poisoning the assistant and triggering the fireworks. maybe the show does end eventually, i'm usually upstairs or in the courtyard. by the way i really recommend turning objective/challenge descriptions off but leaving the names and pictures on. hitman is a puzzle game

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

oddium posted:

the ones i'm thinking of are poisoning the assistant and triggering the fireworks. maybe the show does end eventually, i'm usually upstairs or in the courtyard. by the way i really recommend turning objective/challenge descriptions off but leaving the names and pictures on. hitman is a puzzle game

I play with just the minimap and the white dots to show who can see through my disguise. I initially tried to play with no UI like MGSV but I needed to get used to the rules of stealth for this game since it operates pretty differently than a metal gear game. I may turn the UI off again at some point.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

The Pirate Captain posted:

What is the best Musou game? After not playing one since Dynasty Warriors 2 (which I bought at the launch of the PS2), I recently picked up Dynasty Warriors 8 Xtreme Grade Awesome Edition on a whim and was reminded how much I love these games. I also got Dragon Quest Heroes which I'm having fun with (am only a couple hours into the campaign), and based on the chat here it sounds like Hyrule Warriors is worth picking up on the 3DS. Is there one outside of these three that I should make sure to check out?

If you're looking on PC there is also Samurai Warriors 4-II and Pirate Warriors 3. Hyrule Warriors is definitely the best one, though.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Four hour job interview with five people today, two hour job interview with one person tomorrow. If I get an offer from either of these loving places, I'm loving buying either Wticher 3 or Bloodborne to celebrate.

Job interviews are all like the Dinner with Gestahl thing from Final Fantasy 6 - there are personalities involved that you're not all the way familiar with that determine what the "right" or "wrong" answers are. I am very, very exhausted from this "trying to get a new, better job" thing, and if I have to answer "Where do you want to be in 5 years?" or "What would you say is one of your weaknesses?" one more time, I'm going to go Samuel L. Jackson in Shawkshank Redemption.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I always just recite Ultimecia's final form dialogue whenever I'm asked about my five-year plans.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

In Training posted:

I play with just the minimap and the white dots to show who can see through my disguise. I initially tried to play with no UI like MGSV but I needed to get used to the rules of stealth for this game since it operates pretty differently than a metal gear game. I may turn the UI off again at some point.

the minimap being the same toggle as the suspicion/trespassing is one of the only things i don't like. hitman... so good !!

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Bicyclops posted:

Four hour job interview with five people today, two hour job interview with one person tomorrow. If I get an offer from either of these loving places, I'm loving buying either Wticher 3 or Bloodborne to celebrate.

Job interviews are all like the Dinner with Gestahl thing from Final Fantasy 6 - there are personalities involved that you're not all the way familiar with that determine what the "right" or "wrong" answers are. I am very, very exhausted from this "trying to get a new, better job" thing, and if I have to answer "Where do you want to be in 5 years?" or "What would you say is one of your weaknesses?" one more time, I'm going to go Samuel L. Jackson in Shawkshank Redemption.

What?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

In Training posted:

I do like how you can get Level 20 without doing every last thing in the Challenges/Discovery/Feats checklist. Some of them are just too finicky to get right without looking up online or way too much trial and error so I'm glad I can feel like I've "completed" the level without necessarily doing every last thing.

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

Avast ye lubbers, lest ye be scuppered!

chumbler posted:

If you're looking on PC there is also Samurai Warriors 4-II and Pirate Warriors 3. Hyrule Warriors is definitely the best one, though.

Thanks for the tip. I didn't know there was a pirate one, I'll definitely check that out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

"Where do I want to be in 10 years?" I don't have any idea what that means. I know what you think it means, sonny. To me, it's just a made up sentence. A human resources sentence, so young fellas like yourself can wear a suit and a tie, and have a job. What do you really want to know? Am I sorry for my psychology degree? There's not a day goes by I don't feel regret. I look back on the way I was then: a young, stupid kid who committed to that terrible major. I want to talk to him. I want to try to talk some sense to him, tell him the way things are. But I can't. That kid's long gone, and this doofus in his 30s is all that's left. I got to live with that. "Where do I want to be in 10 years?" It's just a bullshit question. So you go on and file my resume, sonny, and stop wasting my time. Because to tell you the truth, I don't give a poo poo.

• Locked thread