Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
I thought you forest folk were GOOD SHOTS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

I always think "Feeble attempt, Elf!" Is a friendly fire line and not an armor line

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
Sack Rats still spawn in the middle of players.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

If you don't have the Hero Trinkets for use in the Altar, Hedge said there was something they did just now that should fix it. Check your inventories.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

:witch: I kept expecting a shaft in the back myself!

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

xthetenth posted:

How does the elf actually work? I never really got the feel for her weapons.

I only use sword and dagger but generally I try to stay on the periphery of a horde and carve them out. You can put down a lot of kills pretty quickly because you have headshot on your default strikes but your CC sucks outside of the 1v1 push/stab. Depending on how big the horde is, I try to normal, normal, charged because the third basic attack has long recovery frames. If I get too panicky and hit that third strike, I follow with a push and step back.

I'm sure someone can give you better tips than that -- I honestly play Bardin most -- but it's what works for me.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Nehru the Damaja posted:

I only use sword and dagger but generally I try to stay on the periphery of a horde and carve them out. You can put down a lot of kills pretty quickly because you have headshot on your default strikes but your CC sucks outside of the 1v1 push/stab. Depending on how big the horde is, I try to normal, normal, charged because the third basic attack has long recovery frames. If I get too panicky and hit that third strike, I follow with a push and step back.

I'm sure someone can give you better tips than that -- I honestly play Bardin most -- but it's what works for me.

I think my problem is that as a professional shieldpuncher/hammerswinger, I expect a certain level of CC on my weapons and don't really play right with weapons that don't have it.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
Would the Repeater Pistol actually work as a trash killer? Particularly one that has Rupture and Hail of Doom on it?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

SkySteak posted:

Would the Repeater Pistol actually work as a trash killer? Particularly one that has Rupture and Hail of Doom on it?

yes but the question remains why you would do it when the brace of pistols is better in every respect.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

SkySteak posted:

Brace with rupture has the damage to do a better job of it (iirc that's the problem with the repeater, it needs more hits to kill), and volley cross is just gross.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Eh if the trash reaches you brace doesn't help much. I think the repeater might compliment the hatchet to deal with slaves up in their poo poo.

Likewise it sounds like the glaive wants to pack a swift bow or a hagbane

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

The Repeater Pistol is garbage. It can't even kill a Clan Rat in one headshot on Nightmare, and if the damage table is accurate in this coming example, won't even kill a Slave Rat in a headshot on Cataclysm. Slave rats have 5 hp on Cata. The Repeater does 4 damage on headshot, 3 damage on bodyshot. It's only good for fighting off stormvermin with the alt-fire, which every other weapon in existence can now do very well, and it's awful against the ogre too.

It's definitely at the lowest rung of the weapon ladder in 1.5-era.

The Brace of Pistols is fantastic but even its beat out by the Volleybow. Rupture and Targeteer on Brace will give you the means to gently caress up many rats, and the Volleybow with Mastercraft Hail of Doom Scavenger will just own the game.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

it's kind of like the old crossbow/handgun situation before crossbows got buffed to actually be worth it. technically yeah, you could use it for killing trash rats, but the witch hunter has other options that can do the same thing and also be worth a poo poo against things like stormvermin and the ogre

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
What's a good weapon to pair up with the dwarven greataxe? It seems to be a similar "it can't hit much but what it does hit stays dead" weapon like the glaive/WH axe, with a sweeping decent charge attack for the hordes. My only ranged weapon for good dwarf pal so far is a grudgeraker and I'm not sure what situations that thing is actually good for.

I really need to pay attention to quests now because yeesh you really start to burn through materials fast when it's time for rerolling perks and percentages. I just got the aforementioned greataxe from a Nightmare Magnus but the perks don't feel so great.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

The Drakefires are so amazing now and they fit in with every weapon so well that it should be your #1 priority to get a pair with the Stability perk. The Crossbow and Handgun have their roles, the former can arguably be better than the Handgun overall, but the Drakefires handle every situation and cover for each weapon's deficiency.

The Grudge Raker is awesome too but you'll need to do some re-rolling on that. Bloodlust, Targeteer, Extra Capacity maybe. You can run through the levels just rifle butting with it (which got buffed) and blasting hordes, sniping gutters, and shotgunning Stormvermin because it has Armor Penetration now.

Lunethex fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Dec 19, 2016

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010

Coolguye posted:

yes but the question remains why you would do it when the brace of pistols is better in every respect.

I just wanted to give it a try with the One Handed Axe as you lose out a bit of that wide damage when you go from them, vs the Rapier.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The handgun and crossbow are never an incorrect option. Special killing power is a necessity and it's something you can never have too much of. The closest analogue for other characters is the bolt staff and trueflight, especially now that their homing behavior is far more sane and their lock-on is faster.

While I don't think the shotguns are dead weight anymore and their hilarity value is unrivaled, I still think they far underperform the above sniper weapons, if you care about confirming a win over gimmicks.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Pierson posted:

What's a good weapon to pair up with the dwarven greataxe? It seems to be a similar "it can't hit much but what it does hit stays dead" weapon like the glaive/WH axe, with a sweeping decent charge attack for the hordes. My only ranged weapon for good dwarf pal so far is a grudgeraker and I'm not sure what situations that thing is actually good for.

I really need to pay attention to quests now because yeesh you really start to burn through materials fast when it's time for rerolling perks and percentages. I just got the aforementioned greataxe from a Nightmare Magnus but the perks don't feel so great.

The great axe can kill like three or four slave rats her swings. It's great at crowds. I like to take the handgun with it.
Use the regular attack to kill non horde rats, block as soon as it hits so you can move faster. When a charged attack bounces on a storm vermin you can cancel that animation into a regular attack.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

xthetenth posted:

How does the elf actually work? I never really got the feel for her weapons.

The elf's weapons are generally really fast combos, do highish damage and aside from dagger/dagger and the glaive have good access to wide sweeping attacks, making them good for light crowd control while you lop off heads arms and torsos.

Daggers do some of the highest sustained damage in the game to a single target, doubly so if you have backstabbery access or are good about hitting rats in the face, but don't do as well when you've got more than a handful of enemies in arms reach of you because they have next to no crowd control. If you roll with someone who uses a shield or a 2h hammer regularly they can get some work done slaughtering rats that have been knocked on their rear end. Does shockingly good vs stormvermin because the charge attack is quick, has a high headshot modifier, and is an overhead swing better positioned to hit them in the head.

Dual swords hit a large amount of targets for middling damage, this works well for locking down medium size groups but comes with an Achilles heel in that there's a pretty sizable gap between the 4th hit of the combo and the start of the next that can mean the difference between an enemy hitting you or not. The charge attack was before 1.5 a very wide sweep for ok damage, but as a whole was kind of not great at killing stormvermin, this has since been changed in the current patch, giving it a higher damage while hitting less targets, making it better in that regard.

Sword Dagger winds up walking the middle ground between dagger dagger and sword sword, being faster than swords but better at crowds than daggers. I think conventional wisdom pegs it as being probably one of their better weapons, I've yet to see how this falls out in 1.5 though I've yet to see any reason why it would be any different now seeing as how it got about as buffed as the other elf weapons. Is unique in that it has a two attack charge combo - the first charge attack being the dual swords, the second being the double daggers one.

Single Sword received the biggest buffs this patch and plays kind of differently than any of the above. The basic attack is a bit slower but you now dodge further with it and it has a pretty beastly charge attack as an overhead chop that absolutely wrecks storms. Treat it like Kruber's arming sword on the main attack combo with DW's 1h axe or hammer charge attack and you'll have a pretty good idea of how it's going to work.

The glaive is the glaive, people have already touched on it. Use it like you would use a WH or DR axe and you'll have a pretty good idea what you're in store for.

As far as the ranged weapons go, by and large they all fill a similar niche, largely that of picking off stragglers or sniping specials. The swift bow is better at thinning hordes and turning the roger into a pincussion, the Longbow good for precision sniping specials before they become a problem and cleaving through thin lines of rat reinforcements, and the trueflight is good for autoheadshotting willey things like assassins and Things That Must Die Now. The Hagbane is kind of in it's own category in that it's kind of niche. It doesn't have the ammo capacity to thin hordes or the raw damage per shot to kill specials in the timeframe you need. What it delivers on in spades is the ability to spam it out on a roger or stormvermin patrol while strength potted to make them all lie down in a hurry.

SkySteak posted:

Repeater pistol is kind of rubbish in Nightmare because it takes 2 shots to kill a clan rat, better to use a brace and have to worry less about landing follow up shots or use a crossbow and have a better special sniper or a volley crossbow and both of the above.

On a only tangentially related note: I played around with Kruber's blunderbuss the other night and fell in love. I got bloodlust rupture and something else on an orange one and it wrecks up hordes something fierce. Being able to drop 10 or 12 slaverats in a single shot owns, as does snap shotting a gutter running a gutter runner leaping at you and killing it without trying particularly hard to aim at it.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Dec 19, 2016

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...
How exactly does Hail of Doom work with the Beam staff? One just dropped with Master Crafted, Hail of Doom and Skirmisher and Reddit can't collectively decide whether it does anything or not. I assume it must do something.

Zephro fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Dec 19, 2016

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Hail of Doom only procs when you press LMB while holding RMB for the beam attack and it does that little blast on the thing its hitting.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Nothing feels quite as good as popping a speed pot with brace of pistols + skullcracker. I just kind of aim in the general direction of a hoard or some stormvermin and just watch the bodies fall over.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Mendrian posted:

Nothing feels quite as good as popping a speed pot with brace of pistols + skullcracker. I just kind of aim in the general direction of a hoard or some stormvermin and just watch the bodies fall over.

It's even funnier with knockdown because they get thrown all over the place.

Not more useful, but funnier.

Rap Three Times
Aug 2, 2013

Thrice, not twice, nay not four times either.
Grimey Drawer
Rolled my first seven die red weapon. The WH Repeater Pistol :sadtrombone:

Sykic
Feb 9, 2004

Resist! Humanity demands it! Resist!

Rap Three Times posted:

Rolled my first seven die red weapon. The WH Repeater Pistol :sadtrombone:

This is in the Skaven's favour, I have read about it.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

The Repeater being what it is, the Red's traits are bad. Master Crafted on it is unnecessary and Extra Capacity is wasted without Rupture.

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

The cold never bothered me anyway~
Jeez, I can't remember the last time I actually got an orange or better from a 3 tome 1+ grimoire nightmare run.

Last ten runs like that? Blue. Every single one. gently caress me this is just ridiculous. Only the bottom two items are blue, the rest are almost always orange, and then without fail I roll snake eyes.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
I was really enjoying this game until I came upon my first instance of some fuckhead talking to me on a mic. God drat but I hate that. This game is beautiful, has great sound, the chatter between the party members is really immersive, and then comes this warblish kid with too much gain calling me Dorf.

DORF

DORF

DORF C...KSRHH MERE. KSMRH HERE. W -- WARBALLASH

DORF

I'm not loving Dorf you loving twit.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Were you at least playing as the dorf.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
I was playing as Bardin Goreksson if that's what you're asking. He is a dwarf.

This is a Dorf.

credburn fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Dec 20, 2016

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
You're the dorf.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

I just got a one hand axe for the witch hunter and while I can't really cc with it yet I'm pretty sure I had a religious experience. The thing's nuts now. Did they just bump it to one hit clan rats or did they do something else as well?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

xthetenth posted:

I just got a one hand axe for the witch hunter and while I can't really cc with it yet I'm pretty sure I had a religious experience. The thing's nuts now. Did they just bump it to one hit clan rats or did they do something else as well?

One-shots rats, much faster.

It's gone from tragic to 'actually really good at its intended job'.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

that begs the question of if the dwarf's 1h axe has fared as well, i guess. i haven't dared to try it out.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Johnny Joestar posted:

that begs the question of if the dwarf's 1h axe has fared as well, i guess. i haven't dared to try it out.

They are identical, so yes, the dwarf's 1h axe is just as good now.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Darke GBF posted:

Jeez, I can't remember the last time I actually got an orange or better from a 3 tome 1+ grimoire nightmare run.

Last ten runs like that? Blue. Every single one. gently caress me this is just ridiculous. Only the bottom two items are blue, the rest are almost always orange, and then without fail I roll snake eyes.

Blue is actually more precious than orange... once you get a solid base of orange weapons.

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions
'Finally, orange repeater crossbow! Time to unlock these bitchin traits. Lemme just check my bl... oh.'

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Lunethex posted:

Hail of Doom only procs when you press LMB while holding RMB for the beam attack and it does that little blast on the thing its hitting.
Thanks!

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
hail of dude

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haerc
Jan 2, 2011
Do I need any of the DLCs to get all of the gameplay elements, or are they pretty much just new maps+weapons?

• Locked thread