Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
Youtube really wants me to watch clips of Malik Monk.

edit:

Jack's Flow fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Dec 19, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Jack's Flow posted:

Youtube really wants me to watch clips of Malik Monk.

edit:

He's very good

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Femur posted:

what's wrong with what I said? Our system is based on poo poo we take from the earth, and reputation(goodwill). Gilbert is in the middle of the goodwill side between loan sharks and goldman sachs.

when he builds enough good will, hell be bank of american.

I was more referring to the fact that you claimed that the consensus was that Love was a "perfect fit" and then went on to spread rumors about a guy you know claiming that Demarcus Cousins is stupid and in a gang. It was just a whopper of a post all around. I liked it a lot, don't get me wrong.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Cool Buff Man posted:

I was more referring to the fact that you claimed that the consensus was that Love was a "perfect fit" and then went on to spread rumors about a guy you know claiming that Demarcus Cousins is stupid and in a gang. It was just a whopper of a post all around. I liked it a lot, don't get me wrong.

What if DeMarcus Cousins was white and loaned out money with high interest rates?

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

WhyteRyce posted:

What if DeMarcus Cousins was white and loaned out money with high interest rates?

Dan Cousins, pleasure to meet you. Meet my wife Pamela.

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP
I am pretty sure the general consensus was that Love was a great fit, with the Heats as the baseline. That's why people hated on Blatt.

I know Boogie is some misunderstood genius on here, but hey, that's what I heard, maybe the dude hated on cousins for getting out of the life he currently is trapped in, embellishing poo poo; gossip is half the point of this place.

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

I highly doubt any basketball player or professional athelete is a crip or a blood lol

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

WhyteRyce posted:

He would be a hero instead of a monster taking advantage of a broken system.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Also why are they always crips or bloods? There are other gangs ya know.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Mr. F! posted:

I highly doubt any basketball player or professional athelete is a crip or a blood lol

Javaris Crittenton joined the Crips after getting drafted, for god knows what reason

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

It was always a gamble that love would Work obviously.

It was a much better bet love would work than Wiggins tho, especially since money is not an issue .

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
I finally got around to reading that article that got Boogie all worked up.

http://www.sacbee.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/andy-furillo/article120107843.html

It's a bad article but mostly because all of the quotes are from the lawyer suing DMC and Barnes and the lawyer's claims are presented as fact. Also it's a really smug column.

Also Cousins' "Don't ever mention my family" thing is pretty stupid when the reference to his brother is a recent incident at a night club that Boogie was also involved in.

DMC could've gone about resolving the issue in like 100 different ways that all would've been better than what he did.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Femur posted:

I am pretty sure the general consensus was that Love was a great fit, with the Heats as the baseline. That's why people hated on Blatt.

I know Boogie is some misunderstood genius on here, but hey, that's what I heard, maybe the dude hated on cousins for getting out of the life he currently is trapped in, embellishing poo poo; gossip is half the point of this place.

That wasn't the consensus at all at first, there were even stories of Love and LeBron having arguments in the locker room and James calling him out in public about playing his role rather than wanting to be the main option on offence. Clearly the issue was more the way they ran the offence, but ego probably played a role, too.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Remember that photo of LeBron at the pool with Love and it looked like LeBron was there with his friends hanging out and that weirdo Love saw them and invited himself over and pulled up a chair so he could hang out

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

WhyteRyce posted:

Remember that photo of LeBron at the pool with Love and it looked like LeBron was there with his friends hanging out and that weirdo Love saw them and invited himself over and pulled up a chair so he could hang out

I don't, but if you have it handy we can laugh together!

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

The Glumslinger posted:

Javaris Crittenton joined the Crips after getting drafted, for god knows what reason

lol wtf

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

Also Cousins' "Don't ever mention my family" thing is pretty stupid when the reference to his brother is a recent incident at a night club that Boogie was also involved in.

His brother had nothing to do with the Barnes nightclub incident and DeMarcus was not at all directly involved in the incident that happened in that night club nor was he charged with anything. If for some reason you think stating that DeMarcus was in a night club once where a fight broke out is relevant to your article, sure go nuts. But what does his brother have to do with that? The fact that he omitted anything about Cousins not being arrested or charged and also throwing his brother's name out there as well as that he was arrested means you're trying to imply certain things.

But either way, I agree with you in that he handled a poo poo article really poorly.

quote:

For out-of-town, big-city tourists Matt Barnes and DeMarcus Cousins, their choice for late-night entertainment late Sunday was a joint in the meatpacking district called the Avenue club. Maybe the Kings’ star big man and their top reserve should have checked out the Yelp reviews before making the move over to 10th Avenue, after their 106-98 loss to the Knicks. No problem with the $2,000 VIP table fees, or the bouncers who sometimes shake you down for $300 at the door, or the $650 bottle service on Hennessy XO. But some of the Yelpers complained about 20-minute bathroom lines that VIPers beat by paying off the attendants at the lavatory door, which had the unfortunate consequence of wrapping the bathroom lines back into those $2,000, high-end tables.

What does this have to do with anything?!?

quote:

Maybe he, and Barnes, should find better places to hang out.

Oooooh I see. It's one of those articles.

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Dec 19, 2016

Femur
Jan 10, 2004

El Gallinero Gros posted:

That wasn't the consensus at all at first, there were even stories of Love and LeBron having arguments in the locker room and James calling him out in public about playing his role rather than wanting to be the main option on offence. Clearly the issue was more the way they ran the offence, but ego probably played a role, too.

Yeah that's after the reality, when they turn out to suck, and Lebron took a "break."

When their offense wasn't the greatest ever, then people considered defense and other poo poo to explain why.

Femur fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Dec 19, 2016

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I don't, but if you have it handy we can laugh together!

https://twitter.com/JensenClan88/status/615330787366297600

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Didn't he sign his extension soon after this.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

WhyteRyce posted:

His brother had nothing to do with the Barnes nightclub incident and DeMarcus was not at all directly involved in the incident that happened in that night club nor was he charged with anything. If for some reason you think stating that DeMarcus was in a night club once where a fight broke out is relevant to your article, sure go nuts. But what does his brother have to do with that? The fact that he omitted anything about Cousins not being arrested or charged and also throwing his brother's name out there as well as that he was arrested means you're trying to imply certain things.

But either way, I agree with you in that he handled a poo poo article really poorly.

What does this have to do with anything?!?

Oooooh I see. It's one of those articles.

DMC and his brother were at a night club in Tampa in May. His brother was arrested.

I think it's completely acceptable and in fact good journalism to mention something like that in an article about Barnes and Cousins being involved in an incident at a nightclub in NYC.

Everything else about the article is awful.

Femur
Jan 10, 2004

Mr. F! posted:

I doubt kids in Louisiana and alabama were in real gangs at that point in life, and just wanted to be cool, but I zone out when gang talk happens.

I really thought I preferenced my rumour with enough details to inform how much belief you should place in it; I only repeated it here because the source was above white bloggers; ie the ones who were linked on here about how Rose couldn't read, and now we all think he's dumb.

Femur fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Dec 19, 2016

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

WhyteRyce posted:

Regardless how stuff works on the court, Love is legit a little weird and off-putting and doesn't really make friends with teammates at all. He is a tough fit with Lebron's clique. Channing Frye coming up with absurd "Kevin Love fashion model" thing was the best thing that could have happened. It made Love part of the group without him actually having to do anything requiring social skills to get in.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

DMC and his brother were at a night club in Tampa in May. His brother was arrested.

I think it's completely acceptable and in fact good journalism to mention something like that in an article about Barnes and Cousins being involved in an incident at a nightclub in NYC.

Why? What important context does it add other than Cousins has been in night clubs before. How relevant is DeMarcus' brother getting arrested at a completely different night club to this incident? If DeMarcus himself was arrested, charged, or brought up on civil charges, then sure.

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Dec 19, 2016

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
I'm glad we went through this soul searching discussion about Kevin Love because it's something I've been thinking about a lot lately: the way we remember our predictions when we get them right and forget about the uncertainty we faced when making them. I'm looking through my predraft notes and I'm embarrassed by how low my success rate is. It may be helpful to have a prediction contest the next time a big trade happens so we can look back later and see exactly what we thought at the time and be humbled by how wrong we were (or gloat about how right we were). This would be different than just predicting wins or who makes the playoffs because there would be greater uncertainty, the main thing people forget.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
An decent article on Finney-Smith, one of the best new additions to Dallas.
http://www.mavsmoneyball.com/2016/12/19/13987168/dallas-mavericks-dorian-finney-smith-diamond-in-the-rough
From all the games I've seen this season, the only Mavs that I'm sure will be on the team long term are Barnes, Curry, and Finney-Smith. Maybe Powell and Anderson as well but they have been so inconsistent this season. Mejri is good enough to at least be a backup center but since he made it to the league so late who knows how long he lasts.

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Dec 19, 2016

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"

dokmo posted:

I'm glad we went through this soul searching discussion about Kevin Love because it's something I've been thinking about a lot lately: the way we remember our predictions when we get them right and forget about the uncertainty we faced when making them. I'm looking through my predraft notes and I'm embarrassed by how low my success rate is. It may be helpful to have a prediction contest the next time a big trade happens so we can look back later and see exactly what we thought at the time and be humbled by how wrong we were (or gloat about how right we were). This would be different than just predicting wins or who makes the playoffs because there would be greater uncertainty, the main thing people forget.

Noah Vonleh and RJ Hunter just haven't been given a fair chance.

Went looking for the Kevin Love chat in the N/V thread and I don't think it's in archives. Someone has something to hide.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

dokmo posted:

I don't need to do this generally because all of my draft predictions are always wrong. If I'm really excited about a college player you can for sure pencil him in as a bust.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP

Femur posted:

I doubt kids in Louisiana and alabama were in real gangs at that point in life, and just wanted to be cool, but I zone out when gang talk happens.

I really thought I preferenced my rumour with enough details to inform how much belief you should place in it; I only repeated it here because the source was above white bloggers; ie the ones who were linked on here about how Rose couldn't read, and now we all think he's dumb.

Kids claim gang sets without every doing anything in the gang - you're just sort of automatically in the gang based on the geography of where you live.

This is a p good episode of TAS that explains the gang situation in Englewood: https://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/487/harper-high-school-part-one?act=1.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
Aaron Hernandez was in a gang and killed people on behalf of the gang, after getting a 5 year $40 million contract extension.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Spring Break My Heart posted:

Aaron Hernandez was in a gang and killed people on behalf of the gang, after getting a 5 year $40 million contract extension.

The Patriot Way

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

WhyteRyce posted:

Why? What important context does it add other than Cousins has been in night clubs before. How relevant is DeMarcus' brother getting arrested at a completely different night club to this incident? If DeMarcus himself was arrested, charged, or brought up on civil charges, then sure.

It shows that Cousins has likely been involved in similar incidents previously.

Say Boogie had been riding on the back of Delonte West's motorcycle. That would've been another thing that would be worth mentioning in an article about the Barnes and DMC nightclub incident. Or if Boogie was there when Qyntel Woods used his playing card as ID. Or if he was bowling with AI back in the day.

I don't get how that's controversial.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

No saying that going to a nightclub in general without incident is proof of anything is poor journalism and obviously some dude trying to build a more interesting narrative out of the scraps he had.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Say Boogie had been riding on the back of Delonte West's motorcycle. That would've been another thing that would be worth mentioning in an article about the Barnes and DMC nightclub incident. Or if Boogie was there when Qyntel Woods used his playing card as ID. Or if he was bowling with AI back in the day.

Man. I have been in a bar like 10 or so times where random fights broke out while I was there, 2 of those times involved guns being fired. I dunno If I should be blamed just because I happen to be there when dumb people do dumb poo poo.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Femur posted:

A cousin of mine had a very close friend of hers killed while at a teen night club in the somewhat rural areas outside of Baton Rouge a little over 15 years ago. It was done as part of a gang initiation ritual.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

It doesn't show he's been involved, that's the whole point. If I'm at a club and some stuff pops off, that doesn't automatically make me involved, even if dudes I know are involved.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

alansmithee posted:

It doesn't show he's been involved, that's the whole point. If I'm at a club and some stuff pops off, that doesn't automatically make me involved, even if dudes I know are involved.

I guess that's true. I should probably give Boogie the benefit of the doubt and not just assume he was involved because it was his brother.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Guys, this is hard science. If you're brother is a criminal and a baddie, then you are a baddie too*

*only if you're a minority.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized
I'm pretty sure the Love for Wiggins trade was a precondition of Lebron coming back to Cleveland, in which case it is an loving absolute no-brainer. Sure the actual trade was consummated like a month after Lebron signed, but everyone knew it was happening and it was just delayed because they had to wait 30 days after Wiggins signed his contract per league rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Paul Zuvella posted:

Guys, this is hard science. If you're brother is a criminal and a baddie, then you are a baddie too*

*only if you're a minority.

Maybe Boogie joined the Bloods because they showed him the love and acknowledgement that the league and the media won't

• Locked thread