Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

The thing that gets me is look at ED

I remember playing it on day 1 or maybe it was a beta , it was 99% feature complete and everything worked (as much as they had advertised was supposed to work)

There were bugs like numbers being wrong or spelling errors , a few texture problems, and a big one was a station would be rotating on its axis and suddenly 'reset', meaning if you were on approach and inside the mail slot it would rotate you as well (and blow you up) thihk like what the port Ollisar rings would do , but not every 2 seconds lol

That is the biggest bug I can Remember from ED , meanwhile from day 1 of SC we've had crashes, hard locks, stuff spinning off into space at 50000mph , poo poo exploding for no reason , character models going all stimpire on you

Just how did they manage to cock it up so badly so quickly from day 1

Hahahaah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

:gary: :yarg:

thanx for the refund toast.

TheLightPurges
Sep 24, 2016

by exmarx
My Dad is a network engineer and while I was calling him (as I do often) we started talking about work. I sent him a small clip of Roberts describing the network plan for Star Citizen.

First response was "this dude is stupid as gently caress". Second response was "This makes 0 sense its contradictory".
Third was "This dude is selling something shady WTF". I told him a bunch of people gave him 140 million with 0 strings attached and now my Dad is dead.

Maw
Feb 18, 2013

Mere minutes after discovering the new technology, it was used to send me a crude ASCII dong.

Yeah, I think I picked up Elite near as soon as it was available, and was having fun in space that same day. I reinstalled it recently when I got a flight stick, but have yet to find time to just enjoy space again. A good game imo

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

TheLightPurges posted:

Its more forced than "Drumpf" was.

Lemme suck at your sweet liberal tears

:smugdon:

TheLightPurges
Sep 24, 2016

by exmarx

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

The salt harvest has been good this year.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Truga posted:

Meanwhile I get very obvious stutters on high in VR or on ultra on my dumb 30" screen with a 980Ti :v:

It's a very well done game though, yeah. A very good foundation for future developments. Like the next patch, which is promising multicrew! :shill:

loving netcode tho...

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

TheLightPurges posted:

The salt harvest has been good this year.

My favorite thing with Trump is he's half an Earth away

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Sappo569 posted:

There were bugs like numbers being wrong or spelling errors , a few texture problems, and a big one was a station would be rotating on its axis and suddenly 'reset', meaning if you were on approach and inside the mail slot it would rotate you as well (and blow you up) thihk like what the port Ollisar rings would do , but not every 2 seconds lol
That wasn't a glitch, Dahan was haunted.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ztyvBx1R1A

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters

MedicineHut posted:

loving netcode tho...

They just mentioned the next patch will have a bunch of network fixes they have been needing to do for awhile.

Wrecked Angle
May 12, 2012

"JURASSIC PARK!"

My favorite thing with Trump is he's half an Earth away

Least favourite part about it is that if he goes really nuts, that might not make any difference.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

I like how people simultaneously believe that they can't write a proper patcher but will solve the problem that games like Eve Online have had to work around since forever but in a better and infinitely scalable way.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
This ship is ugly as gently caress, even by Star Citizen standards

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
While the Herald looks more like an angry beetle than a sleek racing ship, it’s very, very fast. In fact, Drake has designed a spacecraft that’s almost more engine than ship. Pilots report that running a Herald at full speed is a little like strapping yourself to a thruster. Unlike traditional racers, the Herald values speed over maneuverability because it’s designed to intercept, protect and transport sensitive information as effectively as possible.

While producing a high-tech courier ship might seem unusual for Drake, rest assured the Herald has a place alongside the Caterpillar, Cutlass, Buccaneer and Dragonfly. Although intended for use strictly as a fast data runner ship, the extensive computer systems aboard the Herald are often adapted for darker purposes.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

This ship is ugly as gently caress, even by Star Citizen standards

That's the one that reminded me of Battlehawk from Terrahawks:

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Sunswipe posted:

That's the one that reminded me of Battlehawk from Terrahawks:

That one's cuter though

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

TheLightPurges posted:

What annoys me about the whole "other games have taken a long time argument" is that it completely sidesteps the issue.

Yes, other good games have taken a long time, longer even than what Star Citizen has had.

But say GTA 5 had 5 years (I cant remember exactly it doesn't matter), do you think they'd have produced so little after 4 years? Hell no.

SC has been in Dev for 4 years now, I'll just chalk up 2011 as a Chris-lie to gain funding. The problem isn't that SC isn't done. Its they have so little to show for it after all this time. That's the elephant in the room. All those other actual good games you love to compare SC to had infinitely more done and produced after 4 years.

The game is not done because its not defined by the developper, its defined by the funding.

They have an arena dogfight game, an arena FPS game , a model viewer, a walk around game ? (Social module) and a chat app (that, given the track record of their stream and custommer service zendesk, they will ruthlessly censor) and they hope to glue the whole with an open world spaceship MMO. Worse is that this is not even the game the CEO want to make ! He just want to do an updated version of WC with better graphics.

They promise whatever convince the whales to give them money, release a half-assed "module" to show progress and then move on to the next big funding event.

Wrecked Angle
May 12, 2012

"JURASSIC PARK!"

... Although intended for use strictly as a fast data runner ship, the extensive computer systems aboard the Herald are often adapted for darker purposes.

:laffo:

How many of their lovely ship blurbs have this weird, scammy, vague "the possibilities are endless" style poo poo in there?

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

That one's cuter though

That'll be because Gerry Anderson was a man with vision and the ability to communicate it to his team, whereas Chris Roberts is a hand-waving hack whose vision is worse than Ben Lesnick's.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Wrecked Angle posted:

:laffo:

How many of their lovely ship blurbs have this weird, scammy, vague "the possibilities are endless" style poo poo in there?

It will get the golf swing with a sinister black and red color scheme.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Sunswipe posted:

Chris Roberts is a hand-waving hack
http://i.imgur.com/xqJpnMh.mp4

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters
http://www.polygon.com/features/2016/12/19/13878484/game-industry-worker-misclassification

This isnt directly sc related but the interviews were conducted in san deigo so you never know. Its a good article about how lovely the industry treats its workers. The part that stood out as interesting to me though was the irs is looking to bust some heads..

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/362358/the-new-fm-in-a-nutshell/p1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFosuV25ea0

:allears:

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

While the Herald looks more like an angry beetle than a sleek racing ship, it’s very, very fast. In fact, Drake has designed a spacecraft that’s almost more engine than ship. Pilots report that running a Herald at full speed is a little like strapping yourself to a thruster. Unlike traditional racers, the Herald values speed over maneuverability because it’s designed to intercept, protect and transport sensitive information as effectively as possible.

While producing a high-tech courier ship might seem unusual for Drake, rest assured the Herald has a place alongside the Caterpillar, Cutlass, Buccaneer and Dragonfly. Although intended for use strictly as a fast data runner ship, the extensive computer systems aboard the Herald are often adapted for darker purposes.

of all the stupid things from the completely impossible economy to the completely impossible networking I think the idea that ships will be carrying around physical copies of information and you'll need special ships to run blockades to get information around is one of the top 5 dumbest.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Fat Shat Sings posted:

of all the stupid things from the completely impossible economy to the completely impossible networking I think the idea that ships will be carrying around physical copies of information and you'll need special ships to run blockades to get information around is one of the top 5 dumbest.

But it was cool in the Star Wars!

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Fat Shat Sings posted:

The ship's design shows their own respect for the concept

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

nopantsjack posted:

I missed the holiday stream did anyone record it? Sorry am working my way back through all dese posts!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2A-l81-LKA

tl;dw:

Gravity_Storm
Mar 1, 2016

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/7368421/#Comment_7368421

Yeah things are changing over on the Mare Brun... trolls are now being accused of working for RSI not Derek!

Come to the light!

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

poo poo Botch Errors Rep posted:

They just have to layer the code on top of it.

I am a chronic procrastinater. I am very good at my job, however, and my slacking is allowed due to my output being exceptional. I usually have to make excuses to people the first couple of times I work with them until they learn this and I will say that I'm 90% complete, I just need to do this one more little thing. Given not many people understand what I do, I can say pretty much any component of the work and they won't know to question it, so I get a chuckle out of saying a major part.
Not once has my bullshit been this obvious.

It honestly seems like he doesn't understand that the underlying code is the most important factor of the game playability equation.

Star Citizen is the Delorean of gaming. They built a shell that they thought looked cool (it didn't) and then hastily threw together the engine and chassis with the cheapest parts, to the point where it was an undrivable death trap.

E: didn't the Delorean manufacturers get done for squandering investor funds?

The Rabbi T. White fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Dec 19, 2016

Dial A For Awesome
May 23, 2009

Galarox posted:

All is well!

From a few pages back, but I liked this. The boat refactoring is almost complete and then it's time to blast off into space via the ocean floor.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Xaerael posted:

http://email-elitedangerous.com/3F35-D6IG-1135AYES8E/cr.aspx

Fascinating how evil Frontier and Satan himself David Braben see the xmas period so differently to CIG and noble benefactor of all Chris "give us all your money" Roberts. So selfish spending their time raising money for those in need when they could be raising money for their videogame that's been in production since 1066ad.

AD my rear end. Stop spreading FUD. You KNOW it was BC. Stop lying, you, you, you DEREK ALT!

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

TheLightPurges posted:

My Dad is a network engineer and while I was calling him (as I do often) we started talking about work. I sent him a small clip of Roberts describing the network plan for Star Citizen.

First response was "this dude is stupid as gently caress". Second response was "This makes 0 sense its contradictory".
Third was "This dude is selling something shady WTF". I told him a bunch of people gave him 140 million with 0 strings attached and now my Dad is dead.

Thank you, your Dad is literally me.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

The Rabbi T. White posted:

Star Citizen is the Delorean of gaming. They built a shell that they thought looked cool (it didn't) and then hastily threw together the engine and chassis with the cheapest parts, to the point where it was an undrivable death trap.
Or maybe they knew what'd happen if it got to 88 mph, so they cheaped out on the engine on purpose?

Checkmate, goon.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

I've just learned the original Delorian speedometer only went to 85 mph, so that's basically theory confirmed.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

XK posted:

Everything I've seen so far supports the idea that as soon as you jump out of the ship you stop dead. Great job, mister "took physics at Cambridge."

I was hoping you were going to say "red beets". I've always really loved them, and my grandma always made them for pretty much any holiday. Nobody else really cared for them. I have a friend who vomits at the slightest taste of beets.

Edit: Shout out to Beet Wagon for delicious beets.

I've introduced beets to a couple friends who swore up and down they hated them based on some half remembered thing from their childhood only to realize they are actually doubleplus good. Memories are funny that way.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

The delorean existed. Its nothing like sc.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

True story, I make out like a bandit from this guy.*

No, no, he wasn't my first choice. I just happen to be the right color and socio-economic bracket.

* assuming he doesn't go nuclear over a mean tweet.

The Rabbi T. White posted:

I am a chronic procrastinater. I am very good at my job, however, and my slacking is allowed due to my output being exceptional. I usually have to make excuses to people the first couple of times I work with them until they learn this and I will say that I'm 90% complete, I just need to do this one more little thing.

I tend to suffer small packages containing worms that I start owning the second I touch them, and they explode into a shower of tickets and epics. The twilight of an internet power. Everything is technical debt. I'm good at burning piles of technical debt.

Both of us see this poo poo from the inside, and it's fun hearing the excuses that you'd already used a decade ago coming from cig.

Anyone that uses 'just' in a sentence probably isn't actually doing the work. So 'just' layering over the code is a worm grenade.

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

A relaxing walk in the woods
Grimey Drawer

I might have missed this in the last 6000 pages of threads, but Shankerz is one of us right? Or he's paid? I mean, he has to be paid! I just cannot conceive of an existing reality in which a person this goddamn stupid exists otherwise. It's a black hole. CERN just wasted billions of dollars finding anti-matter, when all they had to do was to open up this guys skull and find plenty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

So this Shankerz dude is a CIG employee or contractor right?