Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!

ErIog posted:

Implementing that kind of price discrimination would be fairly trivial with the existing cookie data infrastructure.

The only thing is that I would expect it to work in reverse. People who are checking the same route a lot are also probably price comparing other places. They would need slightly better deals to get them to pull the trigger. I would expect randos who show up to be given lowball estimates and then bait and switch to higher prices before checkout with random poo poo like a "fuel surcharge."

Now this is all theoretically possible, but I don't know anyone besides Amazon, Google, or Facebook who would be putting time into this kind of stuff. The airline ticket industry hasn't really been disintermediated yet. So there's this wide layer of middle men and brokers who don't have the resources to invest in that kind of adaptive micro-price-discrimination

the theory as i've heard it would be to create a sense of urgency, because everyone's well aware

jre posted:

while you procrastinate someone else books the cheaper seat / room and the price rises when you go back.
so by letting them see the price increase you're saying "you missed the best price because you waited, buy immediately before it becomes even more expensive"

that said i haven't seen any proof of this in actual use either. closest i could find is amazon testing randomized prices to users, which caused some backlash, and some firms looking at what browser you're using:

http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB10001424052702304458604577488822667325882
https://consumerist.com/2010/11/01/capital-one-made-me-different-loan-offers-depending-on-which-browser-i-used/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

the senior sec ops guy for the corp we're contracted to just blew his poo poo because some domain controllers deployed to the field had no patches or hardening.

i'm currently torn as he's loving right, they shoulda been patched and hardened. ofc the dinguses who built them are my colleagues and technical superiors to me but i call them out because idgaf.

actually i have no question here because those fuckers are going to burn. my philosophy is that if you're not prepared to do something properly then don't do it at all.

lol i'm going to burn it all.

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006

cheese-cube posted:

the senior sec ops guy for the corp we're contracted to just blew his poo poo because some domain controllers deployed to the field had no patches or hardening.

i'm currently torn as he's loving right, they shoulda been patched and hardened. ofc the dinguses who built them are my colleagues and technical superiors to me but i call them out because idgaf.

actually i have no question here because those fuckers are going to burn. my philosophy is that if you're not prepared to do something properly then don't do it at all.

lol i'm going to burn it all.

:discourse:

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

suffix posted:

the theory as i've heard it would be to create a sense of urgency, because everyone's well aware

so by letting them see the price increase you're saying "you missed the best price because you waited, buy immediately before it becomes even more expensive"

that said i haven't seen any proof of this in actual use either. closest i could find is amazon testing randomized prices to users, which caused some backlash, and some firms looking at what browser you're using:

http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB10001424052702304458604577488822667325882
https://consumerist.com/2010/11/01/capital-one-made-me-different-loan-offers-depending-on-which-browser-i-used/

It's not about "letting" people see a price change, it has actually changed and is no longer available from the airline / hotel at the lower price. It has nothing to do with individual customers or urgency but more that using bucketing gets the best combination of occupancy / return

Booking.com do have a rediculous popup with x people are currently looking at this room! To drive urgency but I just find it annoying

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
Kayak has a little line graph that may or may not be actually representative of the price history so you can see how much it's gone up over the past X days and whether or not you should panic and BUY NOW.

Raere
Dec 13, 2007

https://www.samba.org/samba/security/CVE-2016-2123.html

quote:

The Samba routine ndr_pull_dnsp_name contains an integer wrap problem,
leading to an attacker-controlled memory overwrite. ndr_pull_dnsp_name
parses data from the Samba Active Directory ldb database. Any user
who can write to the dnsRecord attribute over LDAP can trigger this
memory corruption.

By default, all authenticated LDAP users can write to the dnsRecord
attribute on new DNS objects. This makes the defect a remote privilege
escalation.

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
I've seen the price go up and then back down to normal in an incognito window. iirc it was airasia

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Maximum Leader posted:

I've seen the price go up and then back down to normal in an incognito window. iirc it was airasia

Prices also bounce about because all of the tech involved is buggy trash and there's load of dubious caching to keep GDS costs down. Some of it is 70's mainframe trash, some 90s php trash, some bleeding edge node.js trash. Articles telling people to use incognito to get better prices are 1 weird trick the travel industry doesn't want you to know shite.

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
it works dude. consider that there is a world outside America and that some of these companies are quite young hth

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Maximum Leader posted:

consider that there is a world outside America

yospos has some issues with this

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Maximum Leader posted:

it works dude. consider that there is a world outside America and that some of these companies are quite young hth

Yeah, I'm not American, nor work in America but I'm sure your anecdote proves you've found the 1 weird trick to cheap flights and not that you saw a random price fluctuation

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014

jre posted:

Yeah, I'm not American, nor work in America but I'm sure your anecdote proves you've found the 1 weird trick to cheap flights and not that you saw a random price fluctuation

I'll keep getting cheap flights and you will get to feel some kind of undeserved skeptical superiority. sounds like a win-win to me.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I'm pretty sure that most of the magic that people at the counter can do from a ticketing standpoint are all 3270 green screens.

put out a google flights tracker alert and realize that there are seasonal rises and dips in prices. the flight I saw for $1100 earlier this year jumped up to $1850 3 days later. it was back down to $1050 in 3 weeks.

e: you're a dumb rear end

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

jre posted:

Prices also bounce about because all of the tech involved is buggy trash and there's load of dubious caching to keep GDS costs down. Some of it is 70's mainframe trash, some 90s php trash, some bleeding edge node.js trash. Articles telling people to use incognito to get better prices are 1 weird trick the travel industry doesn't want you to know shite.

don't attribute to malice what can be explained by computers being bad

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Jimmy Carter posted:

an actual slide from Mashable's 6 Best Tricks For Holiday Travel on Snapchat because I'm a monster

loling hard at the idea of incognito mode protecting you from tracking

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

pr0zac posted:

I only buy airline tickets using tor and pay using untraceable visa debit cards that I bought at Walmart

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Maximum Leader posted:

undeserved skeptical superiority.

It's almost like I've written code for a lot of the systems you'll have used, and know that there's no clever price hiking technology, just my bad code :shrug:

Would you like to buy a tiger attack prevention rock? They're going cheap at $100

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

move your stupidity to another thread

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

pr0zac posted:

No, it totally works. Some guy here said it does.

fins
May 31, 2011

Floss Finder
https://arxiv.org/ftp/arxiv/papers/1611/1611.07350.pdf

speaker as a microphone, didn't know that HD audio ports could be retasked. think these are the same guys that do the hard drive and fan speed exfil research

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Volmarias posted:

I'm sincerely waiting for that to happen, and the overly defensive pundits trying to explain why Donald Trump tweeting a TS document is actually OK because

Well the President is an Original Classifier, so by tweeting it, it literally isn't TS anymore because the President said it wasn't.

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

Maximum Leader posted:

I'll keep getting cheap flights and you will get to feel some kind of undeserved skeptical superiority. sounds like a win-win to me.

You've got one example and little evidence that it's what you describe. Surely there would be more evidence if it was actually widespread? I don't think you're the only one who wants cheap tickets.

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014

jre posted:

It's almost like I've written code for a lot of the systems you'll have used, and know that there's no clever price hiking technology, just my bad code :shrug:

Would you like to buy a tiger attack prevention rock? They're going cheap at $100

if you paid for your incognito mode, ASK FOR YOUR MONEY BACK

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Well the President is an Original Classifier, so by tweeting it, it literally isn't TS anymore because the President said it wasn't.

the president is still subject to need-to-know though

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

jre posted:

ah, the old "I know the conspiracy theory is false based on direct private experience, but they don't believe me" trap. it's a heartbreaker, no?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
sure seems like forcing complete reloads via any number of methods would be a good way to get different prices out of fragile algorithms and weird caching

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug
*spins-up $4000 worth of VM instances spread across data centers and providers, a percentage using tor, with randomized useragent and browser headers, all hitting the airline continuously in an attempt to save $100 on a flight*

*DDOSes the site, goes to prison for 5 years under the CFAA*

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/mjos_crypto/status/810791511952674817

*hacker voice*
I'm in....

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

pretty cool if already existing https://github.com/bartobri/no-more-secrets

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

a new wordlist for breaking passphrases: https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2016/07/new-wordlists-random-passphrases

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

fins posted:

https://arxiv.org/ftp/arxiv/papers/1611/1611.07350.pdf

speaker as a microphone, didn't know that HD audio ports could be retasked. think these are the same guys that do the hard drive and fan speed exfil research

This is a really cool paper.

canis minor
May 4, 2011

jre posted:

This is a really cool paper.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

vOv posted:

dangling pointers leading to arbitrary legal code execution. just mark some document as classified 'AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAmurder is legal now'

This is literally what sovereign citizens believe btw.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Volmarias posted:

This is literally what sovereign citizens believe btw.

yeah it's amazing

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
also what libertarians want to be true

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

pr0zac posted:

I think firefox's incog mode turns on their third party tracker blocking

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=13221923

Someone on HN posted:

Forget about creating your own crypto. I have had endless troubles just using crypto. Obscure options that aren't explained. Examples that don't actually work.
C# had an option that I finally got to work but the documentation specifically said not to use it; but the other choices didn't work.
I had to encrypt something in PHP then decrypt it in ColdFusion. Despite being the same algorithm, key, etc, it didn't work. Strangely, the exact same data in the other direction (CF->PHP) worked just fine.
I'd just like the libraries I use to have a simple choice: Encrypt(data,key) and Decrypt(data,key) and be done.

i'm the not reading documentation

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

A Yolo Wizard posted:

I think firefox's incog mode turns on their third party tracker blocking

it does and it makes a bigger show of it now

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

tbf i agree that there is a real issue with a lot of security and crypto software making things difficult for perceived security reasons, which instead lead to them not being properly used and creating far vaster security issues

e.g. there being twelve hoops to jump through to seed a random number generator with scary warnings about what bits you should get and which you should not (do you *really* trust intel?), when there are sources that really should be fine for most uses available on most systems, or just imposing ideas on precisely how the key should be managed on the library user, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

#wow #woah

• Locked thread