Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Kibayasu posted:

Speaking of DS9, and I guess I watched some clips at some point for Youtube to recommend these to me, but there's some crazy person currently uploading a whole bunch of 5-ish minute clips from DS9

So I guess if you ever need one of those good scenes to recommend DS9 to a friend, you have a resource now?

This channel needs a Garak playlist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

TheBigAristotle posted:

This channel needs a Garak playlist.

I was just about to say, drat it, I have things to do but I'm sitting here watching all the Garak ones.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BC3pBuzaJ1w

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Garak is the best character in Star Trek

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Powered Descent posted:

I was just about to say, drat it, I have things to do but I'm sitting here watching all the Garak ones.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BC3pBuzaJ1w

Pakled posted:

Garak is the best character in Star Trek

I love how the first line of that clip confirms this statement.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
My favorite thing about Garak is how for the first two seasons or so he's all "I'm a tailor, plain and simple. Is there more to me? Perhaps. Or perhaps not."

But by season 4 he's like "yeah I was in the Obsidian Order and now a million ways to kill. What do you need done to these pants?"

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Man, 'The Ship' is a really good episode.

Edit: Kira and O'Brien are flirting. :stare:

The_Doctor fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Dec 19, 2016

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

The_Doctor posted:

Man, 'The Ship' is a really good episode.

Edit: Kira and O'Brien are flirting. :stare:

I love how :stare: is how they react when they realize they are becoming attracted to each other. In the Ship, I was always confused about why the Jem'Hadar fighter didn't look anything like we've seen, all blocky, then when I saw it recently I heard dialog I must have missed before, where they say the ship had crashed upside down.

Okay, can I just say how much I love Horner's score for Wrath of Khan?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eoit0OdKt-I

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

twistedmentat posted:

I love that piece, but I can't not look at the DVD cover image there and think "what the gently caress is the Enterprise doing lighting up Regula I". Do people who do home video release artwork not watch the movies at all?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Kazinsal posted:

I love that piece, but I can't not look at the DVD cover image there and think "what the gently caress is the Enterprise doing lighting up Regula I". Do people who do home video release artwork not watch the movies at all?

I always wondered that too, and maybe when the poster was being painted, there was a scene where the Enterprise blows up the station to prevent anyone else from getting Genesis, but it was cut from filming because it was realized to be silly.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
I think the poster artists are just given some images from the film and a brief summary and they go and do whatever. One of the Star Trek 6 posters showed both the Bird of Prey and Gorkon's ship firing on the Enterprise, the First Contact poster had the Enterprise running from the Borg cube, I'm sure there's countless other examples of movie posters depicting poo poo that never happened.

I'm sure that like the trailers, the people who make the posters are not actually directly connected to the film.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I'm sure that like the trailers, the people who make the posters are not actually directly connected to the film.

Doubly so in foreign countries, at least back then.

Tikifire
Jun 22, 2006

Would you like to touch my monkey?
Just watched the Enterprise "Cogenitor" episode and man, that was an excellent "here's the reason for the prime directive" episode without beating the viewer over the head about it. Good all around.

Tikifire fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Dec 19, 2016

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

twistedmentat posted:

I love how :stare: is how they react when they realize they are becoming attracted to each other. In the Ship, I was always confused about why the Jem'Hadar fighter didn't look anything like we've seen, all blocky, then when I saw it recently I heard dialog I must have missed before, where they say the ship had crashed upside down.

You never wondered why all the consoles were hanging down from the ceiling?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

twistedmentat posted:

That little snare drum heartbeat that starts at around 0:35 comes up again in the Titanic score. It's a great way to convey a sense of breath-holding tension.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I think I'd watch an entire show based on The Lower Decks.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Fister Roboto posted:

I think I'd watch an entire show based on The Lower Decks.

Isn't that what they've said Discovery will be?

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

WickedHate posted:

I'm the AT-AT that's clearly a member of the Ministry of Silly Walks.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

WickedHate posted:

Isn't that what they've said Discovery will be?

No, but that's what a lot of people in the thread have said they wished it'd be.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

WickedHate posted:

What are these movies, and how can I see them. :swoon:

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Gaz-L posted:

You never wondered why all the consoles were hanging down from the ceiling?

Well, they don't have chair or a viewscreen so none of the traditional indications of orientation, and it is alien design so yea.

Data Graham posted:

That little snare drum heartbeat that starts at around 0:35 comes up again in the Titanic score. It's a great way to convey a sense of breath-holding tension.

Yep, there's something so viscous, tense and desperate about that peice, but at the same time heroic and triumphant. You can tell how the battle swings without seeing any images.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

WickedHate posted:

My favorite is this one:

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

There was a cool Doctor moment in the infamous Threshold episode. Paris came back unconscious after the shuttle trip and the Doctor realises that he's not in a space coma, he's just asleep. Janeway asks if its possible to wake him up. The Doctor gets a serious look on his face, says he thinks so and yells "WAKE UP" as loud as possible right in Paris's face.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Again, controversial opinion, but the first half hour or so of Threshold is actually a pretty decent Voyager episode.

Paris gets actual motivation and character development (and gets to act). There are funny moments, the technobabble isn't too stupid yet (I know, I know, Transwarp shouldn't work that way. Shut up nerd.), and the transformation makeup is solid.

Then they throw all of that away so completely that the only possible response is a mix of bafflement and outrage.

I really think that if the episode had been trash the whole way through people wouldn't hate it as much.

Blast Fantasto posted:

My favorite thing about Garak is how for the first two seasons or so he's all "I'm a tailor, plain and simple. Is there more to me? Perhaps. Or perhaps not."

But by season 4 he's like "yeah I was in the Obsidian Order and now a million ways to kill. What do you need done to these pants?"

He's still only remotely honest with Bashir. Even with Sisko he's still pulling that "I'm just a simple tailor" bit long after everyone knows better. It's part of his character that he'll keep lying even when everyone knows it's a lie, because it's better than actually telling the truth.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

twistedmentat posted:

I love how :stare: is how they react when they realize they are becoming attracted to each other.

I love when they're sitting in the runabout at the end and Kira is describing the holiday cottage, and how idyllic and romantic it is, and they're both just in abject horror.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Pwnstar posted:

There was a cool Doctor moment in the infamous Threshold episode. Paris came back unconscious after the shuttle trip and the Doctor realises that he's not in a space coma, he's just asleep. Janeway asks if its possible to wake him up. The Doctor gets a serious look on his face, says he thinks so and yells "WAKE UP" as loud as possible right in Paris's face.

Hahaha I remember that now. That was funny as gently caress when I saw it first-run, largely because you're not expecting voyager to be funny at all.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Data Graham posted:

Hahaha I remember that now. That was funny as gently caress when I saw it first-run, largely because you're not expecting voyager to be funny at all.

Disagree, VOY is one of the funniest things on TV as long as you're not expecting it to be good at any point

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I had a dream I was watching the first episode of Discovery. It had suddenly picked up a sponsor in an upstart cookie company, so the "O" in the logo was a chocolate chip cookie. Then the Enterprise showed up and had like five saucer sections.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

CPColin posted:

I had a dream I was watching the first episode of Discovery. It had suddenly picked up a sponsor in an upstart cookie company, so the "O" in the logo was a chocolate chip cookie. Then the Enterprise showed up and had like five saucer sections.

drat, the real thing will never live up to this hype

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

CPColin posted:

Stop doing mescalin before going to bed.

The_Doctor posted:

I love when they're sitting in the runabout at the end and Kira is describing the holiday cottage, and how idyllic and romantic it is, and they're both just in abject horror.

Yep. That was fantastic, it was a horror movie scene but with romance instead.

It confused me when I was watching it in the 90s is that everytime they said Shakaar I heard G'Kar and wondered why tKira was dating a Narn.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

CPColin posted:

I'm imagining the Enterprise with five saucer sections and it's like the way angels are described in the Bible.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

McSpanky posted:

I'm imagining the Enterprise with five saucer sections and it's like the way angels are described in the Bible.

It kind of looked like Worf's weird chair, except with an Engineering section.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

To me the worst episode of TNG is Cost of Living. Way worse than Sub Rosa.

"The higher, the fewer"

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax
I haven't been paying attention to Star Trek for a while. Does the new show still sound like it's going to be poo poo?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

There isn't enough leaked yet to even know.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

reagan posted:

I haven't been paying attention to Star Trek for a while. Does the new show still sound like it's going to be poo poo?

The production looks like a rushed disaster, but we barely have any info on the show itself. All we know is that TWD's Sasha will (reportedly) be the lead, Abe Sapien will be a science officer, there's a gay dude who loves mushrooms, there's Klingons, at least two starfleet ships, and the main ship is based on old Ralph McQuarrie design but that may change by release because the original teaser was a very rough draft.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I thought they already said Doug Jones is the gay character

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

WampaLord posted:

To me the worst episode of TNG is Cost of Living. Way worse than Sub Rosa.

"The higher, the fewer"

Yes, but what did Sub Rosa give us? A thread title?

In situations where meaningless advice is needed, I've always got "The higher... the fewer!"

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

TheBigAristotle posted:

Yes, but what did Sub Rosa give us? A thread title?

And apparently the sexual awakening of quite a few young goons.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

FlamingLiberal posted:

I thought they already said Doug Jones is the gay character

No, it's the guy from Rent: http://variety.com/2016/film/news/george-takei-star-trek-discovery-gay-character-1201939883/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
What, you never said to yourself "I love Worf's son and I love Troi's mom... I just wish they'd use them both at once"