Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Levantine posted:

Yeah I rather like the character sprites. Frankly I think Dancing Dragon's strongest suit is in their music. Whoever they have doing their stuff is real good.

some of the music is a bit generic but there are some tracks that really stand out, like the boss theme from Echoes. I wish I could find any of it online

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HateCrimeDoxNet
Dec 19, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
CRAZY GARBAGE

Somebody fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Dec 19, 2016

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

A second bad post has hit the games threads.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
I found Resonance of Fate for $8 at a local store. I played it for a bit a few years back but don't remember anything except it had guns in it. Can I get $8 of fun out of it or is it $8 for a good reason?

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I haven't played it myself, but what I've picked up is: neat combat that isn't explained well, utter nonsense story.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owAoZzYgKec

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

dukerson posted:

Thinking about picking up a Dragon Quest game for the holidays on iOS. Any strong preferences between III, IV, and VIII? (I have very little experience with the series beyond playing the first two a long time ago.)

VIII should be played on PS2, iOS is a horrible version of it with missing orchestrated soundtrack, no voice work, and bad framerate issues but IV is fantastic for iOS. What about V? V might be the best option.

I wouldn't recommend III at all on account of you buy your characters in a shop. IV, V, and VIII have very fun characters. Your characters will react to anything every single person in town says. It makes it enjoyable to go to a new town. Just because of that, definitely don't go with III if you're new to the series.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Getsuya posted:

I found Resonance of Fate for $8 at a local store. I played it for a bit a few years back but don't remember anything except it had guns in it. Can I get $8 of fun out of it or is it $8 for a good reason?

I'd say it's worth 8 bucks just for the combat system and dress up. It has a really neat and unique combat system, if slightly repetitive and complex. Pro tip, if you do get it, beeline for the arena next to town ASAP, that's where the tutorial is and you NEED the tutorial. The plot is kinda jammed in at the very beginning and very end of the game and is nothing special, but all the in-between stuff is slice of life merc work which is fun enough. Has good customization too, with a lot of stylish clothes to dress up in and a really interesting, if grindy, Tetris block gun customization system.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Andrast posted:

I really wanted to like trails in the sky but I couldn't handle the pacing. Good god was it slow. I just wanted them to get on with it. I stopped somewhere around a school festival or something similar since the story didn't really show signs of picking up by then.

It actually picks up right after the school festival. Then it slows down a wee bit again before going into full overdrive for the second half of Chapter 3 and then doesn't really stop for the rest of the game. You kind of stopped playing right when it was about to pick up.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Getsuya posted:

Holy crap. In Zero you can do your field attack on weaker enemies and they'll die and cough up magic stones without even going into a battle. This is an awesome upgrade TitS needed.

Cold Steel 2 does it too (You never really visit anywhere you can be overlevelled in CS), and I think Trails in the Sky 2 does as well maybe?

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

The sky games don't do it, only in the Vita remakes which we'll never get.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Yeah I don't think field attacks were a thing in Sky.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
sky did not have field attacks

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

$8 is a great price to grab Resonance of Fate at. It's also a good game to go at your own pace in. Though I fully recommend spending like 30 minutes to an hour in the arena after the tutorial there just to shore up your levels with other attack types. You can totally swap out who has what weapons, and the extra stats from those levels can help if you're having trouble getting the hang of the game. Also, hoard your elemental bullets because holy gently caress will you be strapped for those early on.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Mr. Fortitude posted:

It actually picks up right after the school festival. Then it slows down a wee bit again before going into full overdrive for the second half of Chapter 3 and then doesn't really stop for the rest of the game. You kind of stopped playing right when it was about to pick up.

Well gently caress me then. I guess I could try continuing it at some point.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Andrast posted:

Well gently caress me then. I guess I could try continuing it at some point.

Trails in the Sky is written like a good novel, with a script about as thick as one. You're not gonna see big upheaving plot developments until midway, but you'll still get some nice character development in the meantime.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Infinity Gaia posted:

I'd say it's worth 8 bucks just for the combat system and dress up. It has a really neat and unique combat system, if slightly repetitive and complex. Pro tip, if you do get it, beeline for the arena next to town ASAP, that's where the tutorial is and you NEED the tutorial. The plot is kinda jammed in at the very beginning and very end of the game and is nothing special, but all the in-between stuff is slice of life merc work which is fun enough. Has good customization too, with a lot of stylish clothes to dress up in and a really interesting, if grindy, Tetris block gun customization system.

It's been a while - is there a way to buy the map blocks? I got loads of money for pretty clothes through an exploit but I quit playing because I couldn't stand the grinding for pieces.

The battles are pretty fun once you get a hang on the fighting system. But shortly afterwards they become a chore because you'll use the same strategy against every enemy.

The clothes are really well design and I wish more games would have such sharply dressed characters.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Dec 19, 2016

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

I loved when I played Trails in the Sky in the beginning. I was enjoying the slow pace and the peaceful relaxed feel for the first 5 hours. But now it's been 18 hours and so little happened. It's hard to get motivated to continue. I'm still in Chapter One. I just snuck aboard an airship.

I also think I screwed up when I put it on hard mode because it feels like I made it more tedious rather than hard. I wasn't enjoying the gameplay much.

It's been a few months since I last played it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

some guy on the bus posted:

I loved when I played Trails in the Sky in the beginning. I was enjoying the slow pace and the peaceful relaxed feel for the first 5 hours. But now it's been 18 hours and so little happened. It's hard to get motivated to continue. I'm still in Chapter One. I just snuck aboard an airship.

I also think I screwed up when I put it on hard mode because it feels like I made it more tedious rather than hard. I wasn't enjoying the gameplay much.

It's been a few months since I last played it.

It's genuinely not worth playing TitS on hard mode, it doesn't add anything to the game.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I don't understand the idea of playing any game on Hard if it's your first time through it, unless I suppose it's a franchise you're very familiar with and thus know what to expect in terms of balance. Yes there's a risk you might be making things too easy on Normal sometimes, but that's a risk I'd be willing to take if the alternative is that it makes something tedious.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Nate RFB posted:

I don't understand the idea of playing any game on Hard if it's your first time through it, unless I suppose it's a franchise you're very familiar with and thus know what to expect in terms of balance. Yes there's a risk you might be making things too easy on Normal sometimes, but that's a risk I'd be willing to take if the alternative is that it makes something tedious.

If the difficulty setting is well made (and the gameplay is good) I will almost always go with a higher difficulty setting. I want a game to be a challenge.

That said games are really terrible about telling what the difficulty mode you select really entails. I generally do some research about the difficulty settings before starting a new game.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

https://twitter.com/iiotenki/status/810931676440330240

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
What's a garake?

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Old cell phones. The kind that fold.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
hey, flip phones are aesthetically pleasing

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Andrast posted:

If the difficulty setting is well made (and the gameplay is good) I will almost always go with a higher difficulty setting. I want a game to be a challenge.

That said games are really terrible about telling what the difficulty mode you select really entails. I generally do some research about the difficulty settings before starting a new game.
I just remember things like Catherine being nigh unplayable on Hard unless you were an expert who was well familiar with the puzzles from a previous run or Persona 4 where the experience gains on Hard are so low it means you have to grind for hours to make any progress. It's just too much of a risk IMO unless yeah you've done enough research to know what you're dealing with.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Was it Persona Q that had a 'this is how much of your life you will waste grinding' meter on its difficulty select screen? Or am I thinking of another game? Some game just straight up told you how much longer Hard mode was going to take you. As if it was a perk or something.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Prism posted:

What's a garake?

It's where you store your karaoke.

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

Nate RFB posted:

Persona 4 where the experience gains on Hard are so low it means you have to grind for hours to make any progress.

On the other hand, the options Persona 4 gives you after you beat the game are awesome. (maybe P4G only?)

You can set things like damage received / dealt, EXP, and money either up or down. I wish more games did that.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
That's P4G only. P4G is easier in general, too.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

Nate RFB posted:

What happened was I first played it about 2 hours on Normal and it was a total cakewalk. I was thinking "This is boring, I wish it was harder", so I started over. At first, hard did seem better. Only hours in did I realize it's just a pain in the rear end. Weapons never got better like I thought they would. They remained useless and you can only kill things with magic. It's not even remotely hard, just takes long.

When I did the same thing for Last of Us and started that over on Hard, that made the game turn amazing.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Dr. Eldarion posted:

On the other hand, the options Persona 4 gives you after you beat the game are awesome. (maybe P4G only?)

You can set things like damage received / dealt, EXP, and money either up or down. I wish more games did that.

That's only P4G. All P4 carried over were Protagonist levels, Personas, and whichever Max-S.Link items you acquired.

Edit: Outranked and outflanked by Admiral Curtiss :argh:

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

some guy on the bus posted:

What happened was I first played it about 2 hours on Normal and it was a total cakewalk. I was thinking "This is boring, I wish it was harder", so I started over. At first, hard did seem better. Only hours in did I realize it's just a pain in the rear end. Weapons never got better like I thought they would. They remained useless and you can only kill things with magic. It's not even remotely hard, just takes long.

When I did the same thing for Last of Us and started that over on Hard, that made the game turn amazing.

JRPGs (mostly) only know how to make things harder by bloating numbers.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
also hard difficulty was something added in later and never really intended by falcom to be in the game

though by all reports, cold steel IS actually a way more fun game on hard

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Renoistic posted:

It's been a while - is there a way to buy the map blocks? I got loads of money for pretty clothes through an exploit but I quit playing because I couldn't stand the grinding for pieces.

The battles are pretty fun once you get a hang on the fighting system. But shortly afterwards they become a chore because you'll use the same strategy against every enemy.

The clothes are really well design and I wish more games would have such sharply dressed characters.

Unfortunately not, it's kind of annoying to grind for them, too. Especially early on, christ. God help you if you are a completionist in that game, filling in all the hexes is one thing but going through all the arena ranks is just tedium to the extreme. Like I said, 8 bucks is a fair price to experience the combat system and dressup until one gets bored, I don't think it's a game particularly worth completing. Plot doesn't go anywhere special at the end and the gameplay stays more or less static too.

And I say this as someone who liked the game enough to do all those arena ranks.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Dr. Eldarion posted:

Yep, which is why my preferred way to play P4G is low damage dealt/high damage received/normal experience/high money. But the first time you'd be forced to go with low experience and it's suuuuuuch a drag, especially at the start.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Getsuya posted:

Old cell phones. The kind that fold.
The kind that won't end up with a cracked screen.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
If you're in Australia and have too much money, EB Games is taking preorders for the Persona 5 Take Your Heart Premium Edition for $170AU. Surprisingly a whole $5 cheaper than OzGameShop.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I learned what a gala-kei is today and I think the term is hilarious (it's short for Galapagos keitai, meaning the phones totally aren't old-fashioned, they just evolved differently in the unique and closed Japanese ecosystem just like the Galapagos islands).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The kind that make it easier to have an affair