Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
Best post in the thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

that read like he went 1/11 with giants glove on the buff banner.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Beat the Angeal ultimates. The Ultimate wasn't too bad? Wall dropped earlier than I expected and that made the EM Fields pretty bad, but that was way past when the Stops were happening so I managed to get by. Brought on the Wind Team to take on the other two bosses and neither of them was immune to the Interrupt of Luneth's BSB so that was good.

Benthalus
Jul 5, 2002

Pulled a sweet 4/11 on the lucky draw:

Snow's Power Circle (a nice upgrade from his Paladin)
Jecht's Sin Talon (another monk I didn't upgrade to 6*)
Sazh's Deneb Duellers (hard to incorporate with Vegas+ already)
Porom's Feathered Cap

I haven't seen anyone else pull Porom's hat, but it looks like a fantastic stacking physical buff with ATK/MND/Crit. The problem is fitting her into a team because even in FFIV I already have Rosa's Miracle (Protect and Shell) and Divine Heal (AoE Curaga and Magic blink). I could drop Edward from the FFIV synergy team and have Rosa on breakdown duty while Porom heals, but that would remove Full Break and Rosa wouldn't be able to abuse Wrath. The other three characters are Paladin Cecil with BSB, Kain with SSB, and Edge with SSB so getting Porom's boostga would be pretty killer.

Man, these are some great problems to have. Sorry to every who pulled a 1/11 antique relic, I got stuck with Josef's gloves ages ago in a 1/11 (and that was 50 mythril) so I know the feeling.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby
Did I miss some Kyoon-level crazy or just dumb hate-speech sort of ranting?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

kalensc posted:

Purestrain crazy, it wasn't deleted here:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3015878&pagenumber=1767&perpage=40#post467532549

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
I too wish to know about the crazy.

Half off draw got me Bomb Core, FF8 Sirius, and Edea's fancy hat. Not bad for stat sticks I think. I have a lot of guns now. A lot.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Benthalus posted:

I haven't seen anyone else pull Porom's hat, but it looks like a fantastic stacking physical buff with ATK/MND/Crit. The problem is fitting her into a team because even in FFIV I already have Rosa's Miracle (Protect and Shell) and Divine Heal (AoE Curaga and Magic blink). I could drop Edward from the FFIV synergy team and have Rosa on breakdown duty while Porom heals, but that would remove Full Break and Rosa wouldn't be able to abuse Wrath. The other three characters are Paladin Cecil with BSB, Kain with SSB, and Edge with SSB so getting Porom's boostga would be pretty killer.

I pulled it back in the last FF IV event, and yeah, it's kinda hard to work into a team set up just because you probably don't want to bring two healers (even if you have Rosa on Breakdown duty instead of healing) for most fights. It feels more like an SB that you'd RW for instead of something you'd bring yourself.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

kalensc posted:

There were three posts about twenty times each across 5 dozen or so threads.

SageAcrin
Apr 23, 2014

there was a mean thing here before, but now there is a dog

Benthalus posted:

Pulled a sweet 4/11 on the lucky draw:

Snow's Power Circle (a nice upgrade from his Paladin)
Jecht's Sin Talon (another monk I didn't upgrade to 6*)
Sazh's Deneb Duellers (hard to incorporate with Vegas+ already)
Porom's Feathered Cap

Man, these are some great problems to have. Sorry to every who pulled a 1/11 antique relic, I got stuck with Josef's gloves ages ago in a 1/11 (and that was 50 mythril) so I know the feeling.

I pulled Twin Star!

Yeah, you've got it summed up really well; Porom's not the best WM and can be hard to fit due to Boostga-on-WM, but drat is it a good Boostga. If you don't need the Haste, it can outclass Shout pretty easily if you're hitting the softcap at all.

Odd option. I'm glad to have it, because I like to use double healers sometimes and sometimes Y'shtola/Rosa has been overkill on reflection-Wall and two healers would be enough without a Medica on occasion.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

CaptainPsyko posted:

There were three posts about twenty times each across 5 dozen or so threads.

Haha yea a good number of my bookmarked threads had the same "post deleted" pop up, aside from the one linked above. C+ effort though, far cry from a classic Kyoon or Toblerone screed.

Uncle Ulty
Dec 12, 2006

Represent.
I was going to skip this Buff Banner, since I already have Shout, SG, Thyrus, and another 5 items from this banner, but Half-Price plus Always-Be-Pulling overrode my judgement and I had to do it.

4/11.

Deneb Duellers. :geno:
Guardian Targe. :what:
Kefka's Cloak. :ohdear:

... Onion Gauntlets. :aaaaa:

I think I won.

DICKS FOR DINNER
Sep 6, 2008

Stand Proud

Reading that post like

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo

Uncle Ulty posted:

I was going to skip this Buff Banner, since I already have Shout, SG, Thyrus, and another 5 items from this banner, but Half-Price plus Always-Be-Pulling overrode my judgement and I had to do it.

4/11.

Deneb Duellers. :geno:
Guardian Targe. :what:
Kefka's Cloak. :ohdear:

... Onion Gauntlets. :aaaaa:

I think I won.

I lost with a Shotgun VII

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Snazzy Frocks posted:

I lost with a Shotgun VII

Anyone else 1/11 that? I did and there was definitely a third person as well.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Benthalus posted:

Porom's Feathered Cap

I haven't seen anyone else pull Porom's hat, but it looks like a fantastic stacking physical buff with ATK/MND/Crit. The problem is fitting her into a team because even in FF4 I already have Rosa's Miracle (Protect and Shell) and Divine Heal (AoE Curaga and Magic blink). I could drop Edward from the FF4 synergy team and have Rosa on breakdown duty while Porom heals, but that would remove Full Break and Rosa wouldn't be able to abuse Wrath. The other three characters are Paladin Cecil with BSB, Kain with SSB, and Edge with SSB so getting Porom's boostga would be pretty killer.

Yeah, I have the same "problem" with Rosa/Porom. I don't have Miracle, but honestly I can't imagine ever using that over the medica. For FF4 boss content, I've done the routine of giving Rosa the bow and a well-honed breakdown, with full synergy she can do a pretty good ranged DPS impression, and she doesn't even have to bring a heal spell, just fire off the medica when needed. But that's about your only option since Porom is strictly WHM, and Rosa can only DPS if you have a bow with good synergy. Outside of FF4 content, Porom is a really tough fit, I don't think I've ever used her.

Also, I went 2/11, got Yda's MND/Crit buff which seems like a total miss. It's a good bracer for FF14, can't complain about that, and Yda is a decent character, but the actual SB just doesn't even seem worth using in most cases. Also got Sarah's White Robe with what looks like a Hand of the Emperor variant (ATK+DEF buff). Same problem as Porom: good SB, but it's on a healer and it's not a medica. I do have Ramza's Tailwind, so I could build a cross-synergy team with Porom or Sarah, but I'm better off with my current loadout of Rosa with medica, Tyro as support with Sentinel's, three DPS, then Shout or Onion Knight as the RW.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I /wish/ I had the Temple Gloves, the crit rate buff is so good for multi-hit moves, and it doesn't care about your softcap.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
1/2 pull got me Josef's Dragon Claws, Seifer's Almasy Revolver and Lenna's kinda Shout.

Not bad, I was hoping for a good weapon for a darkness/heavy armor user to make use of Golbez darkness buffing armor with the new skills we got.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Who should I use this hero soul thing on? I guess it lets me buy one of any character?

Also should I buy the half off 11pull for 25 crystal or save for one of the normal ones? I'm pretty new if you can't tell

Fajita Queen fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Dec 19, 2016

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Well I finally beat the tonberries and got Northern Cross BUT sadly I don't have the crystals to make it yet :negative:

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

The Shortest Path posted:

Who should I use this hero soul thing on? I guess it lets me buy one of any character?

Yeah pretty much.

If you've pulled a 5* relic for a particular character, that character is an immediate priority.

If not, maybe hold onto the hero soul until you do.

If you absolutely want someone to grab, Ramza is a reasonably useful first character to get, since he has a wide range of utility for almost any circumstance and good stats.

edit: although there is an FFT event coming up next month, which will probably have Ramza, so maybe disregard that last!

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

That makes sense, I will definitely hold off then. I'm not to worried about having anything right now, I'm powerleveling this ff7 party to clear the event dungeon on hard mode and it's going fairly smoothly so far

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.
Finally got enough mythril for an 11 pull on the Nightmare banner. I got leila's attack+res buff/debuff and shadows bsb! I now have 2 melee dark infusion bsb's. It does look like shadow's bsb is better than garland's, I got to say.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

The Shortest Path posted:

Also should I buy the half off 11pull for 25 crystal or save for one of the normal ones? I'm pretty new if you can't tell

It sounds like you're new enough that you should absolutely try for the Lucky Draw. There's a lot of other extremely good banners in the near future (Overstrike Fest, for one) so maybe not though. That's your call to make.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Elephant Ambush posted:

Well I finally beat the tonberries and got Northern Cross BUT sadly I don't have the crystals to make it yet :negative:

I have the crystals to make it but I'm saving up to get Snowspell Strike to R2. Just two more ice crystals!

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

AweStriker posted:

It sounds like you're new enough that you should absolutely try for the Lucky Draw. There's a lot of other extremely good banners in the near future (Overstrike Fest, for one) so maybe not though. That's your call to make.

Definitely pull on the Lucky if you're new. There will always be better banners later, and you'll have plenty of Mythril to spend on them when the time comes. The buffing SB's are generally fairly strong even if they're not SSB's, and it's an opportunity to get more synergy gear. The only reason not to pull on this Lucky is if you are a long-time player who already has a lot of good SB's and synergy gear to work with.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.
Man I now have 4 ffvi katanas. I've already combined one, but I can still run cyan, shadow and leo in the same party.

Hey, how advantageous is imperil wind if you're only wind sb's don't have enwind? I have faris's imperil wind ssb,but my only other wind moves are bartz' and squall's bsbs.

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

So anybody playing JP side is in for a surprise when they log in today: they dropped the Legend Materia and Imperil reworking updates and apparently decided to just dole out 50 of every 3* and 4* Mote, 25 of the new 5* motes and a couple of extra Mythril to boot.

Now I just need to find the reddit thread that will tell me what the gently caress I'm doing trying to access Legend Materia.

FeralWraith
Dec 17, 2007
Lurking Bastard

LornMarkus posted:

So anybody playing JP side is in for a surprise when they log in today: they dropped the Legend Materia and Imperil reworking updates and apparently decided to just dole out 50 of every 3* and 4* Mote, 25 of the new 5* motes and a couple of extra Mythril to boot.

Now I just need to find the reddit thread that will tell me what the gently caress I'm doing trying to access Legend Materia.

Oh, nice. I should probably log onto my JPN account then (since its been about 9 days).

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Twelve by Pies posted:

I have the crystals to make it but I'm saving up to get Snowspell Strike to R2. Just two more ice crystals!

Hilariously I'm probably going to do this too instead of making any Nightmare abilities. Snowspell Strike is better than almost all of them.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Help me I'm drowning in white mage weapons.

My lucky draw was Arc's Cura + 50% RES medica staff and my 2nd copy of Selphie's BSB rod.

I already have an 8* Physician's Staff and at least 2 or 3 other curaga medica staves. :supaburn:

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.
Oh man, I just realized something. Garland's bsb commands aren't too great. Sure it has the standard aoe multi-hit, but it's single target attack is just a one-hit drain. The drain is perfect for me to be stacking with sanguine cross of all things.

So yeah, I was planning on shattering reaping scythe and just using sanguine blade as my physical darkness attack. I have enough sources of heling that if I ever need to sub a darkness user into my A-team, I'll be more than set with the hp loss. Too bad I can't hone it in forever cause I'm saving my darkness orbs for so many other things...

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I shattered my Sanguine Cross the minute i picked up the darkness skills from this event. I can deal with the HP lost; I have Garland's BSB too, and Leon's which is pretty much the same but better. The problem is that HP lost that way counts against medals, and I don't like having to worry about that.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
Dark Bargain, Death Throes, and Reaping Scythe is a devastating combo

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

LornMarkus posted:

You can't actually get to any of the LMs yet. You have to fully record dive a character (except Tyro, who only needs his Sage node meaning you can skip some of the physical nodes); that leads to their new legend node. To get the Legend Materias, you have to fill every node leading to them, and the cheapest Legend Materia to reach is Tyro's at 26x2 required motes. They gave us 25. Yeah, gently caress you too DeNA.

Incidentally, they also buffed Chain Soul Breaks. They get +2 seconds of duration in singleplayer (so 14 seconds now instead of 12) and both Shantotto's and Warrior of Light's got added effects. Shan's gives party double action speed for the next 2 turns (works with every ability/SB type) and WoL gets party Stoneskin 30% HP Stock 2000. Tidus gets nothing, apparently.

Zurai fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Dec 19, 2016

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.

Zurai posted:

Incidentally, they also buffed Chain Soul Breaks. They get +2 seconds of duration in singleplayer (so 14 seconds now instead of 12) and both Shantotto's and Warrior of Light's got added effects. Shan's gives party double action speed for the next 2 turns (works with every ability/SB type) and WoL gets party Stoneskin 30%. Tidus gets nothing, apparently.

Ooh, I was looking at both Chain banners for my XI synergy and as my Raines BSB chasing banner, so buffs to both of those sound great. HAHAHAHAHAHAHA to Tidus.

Any list of LMs out there yet? I'm curious to see what some of them are.

edit: ooh, apparently Terra and Zidane will get Trance. I'd be more excited if I had a relic for either of them, but this is pretty cool.

pichupal fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Dec 19, 2016

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.

Nihilarian posted:

I shattered my Sanguine Cross the minute i picked up the darkness skills from this event. I can deal with the HP lost; I have Garland's BSB too, and Leon's which is pretty much the same but better. The problem is that HP lost that way counts against medals, and I don't like having to worry about that.

What, it counts against you? Wow.
I mean the hp lost medals has been massively nerfed in recent times though.

Snazzy Frocks posted:

Dark Bargain, Death Throes, and Reaping Scythe is a devastating combo

It's also a combo that's impossible to do. If you aren't using shout, you're fine with death throes and reaping scythe. However, reaping scythe without death throes is not worth it compared to the other options My characters can be running. You're either running dark bargain and another skill, or death throes and reaping scythe.

Let me tell you, as someone who as edea's faithga, having to bring a skill just to get doom isn't great. Momento mori and edea's faithga overwrite one another, and I have a poo poo ton of mages in ffviii to run together so I always use her faithga. If I need to bring death throes only for the doom, then it is nearly worthless to me. I'd rather take the risk with sanguine cross, and have a spare skill incase I need it. Or just bring the stacking dark bargain.

I mean, I need to bring momento mori just to make dark zone's damage about on par with non-weakness hitting physical moves under shout. It feels like a waste when edea needs to bring another spell, as then I just straight up can't use the combo due to it being completely outclassed.

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

Zurai posted:

You can't actually get to any of the LMs yet. You have to fully record dive a character (except Tyro, who only needs his Sage node meaning you can skip some of the physical nodes); that leads to their new legend node. To get the Legend Materias, you have to fill every node leading to them, and the cheapest Legend Materia to reach is Tyro's at 26x2 required motes. They gave us 25. Yeah, gently caress you too DeNA.

Incidentally, they also buffed Chain Soul Breaks. They get +2 seconds of duration in singleplayer (so 14 seconds now instead of 12) and both Shantotto's and Warrior of Light's got added effects. Shan's gives party double action speed for the next 2 turns (works with every ability/SB type) and WoL gets party Stoneskin 30%. Tidus gets nothing, apparently.

Ahah, how sad. The second bit is good news for me though because I picked up Shantotto's Chain, have to see about actually putting together a Lightning team for her.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Neat. Meltdown Nightmare can be mastered with just one of the required weaknesses being exploited with the right setup. That must have been a good number of double-digit S/L's otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

We're still not entirely sure on the Legend Materia mechanics because, as mentioned, we can't actually get any of the Legend Materias yet. That being said, here's a list of the LM2s; the LM1s are mostly just "small increase" to various things and are almost certainly not locked to the character you get them from.

• Tyro: Increased buff duration.
  • Warrior of Light: Start battle with Last Stand and Sentinel
  • Garland: Dealing Dark damage has a chance to also heal self.
  • Firion: ATK+?% based on physical attacks made.
  • Maria: MAG+?% based on magical attacks made.
  • Luneth: Start battle with Haste and Powerchain 3.
  • Refia: ATK+50% for next turn after dealing a critical hit.
  • Paladin Cecil: Enter Cover mode; chance to take damage for party members and reduce the damage taken.
  • Rosa: Chance to Esuna an ally who is affected by Poison/Blind/Paralyze/Silence.
  • Bartz: Medium chance to dualcast Spellblade.
  • Lenna: Medium boost to healing
  • Terra: Once per battle at low health, enter Trance Mode for 25 seconds: recover HP, +20% all stats except Speed, 1/2 cast time.
  • Relm: Small resistance to all elements.
  • Cloud: Medium chance to dualcast Combat.
  • Tifa: Monk skills have a chance to grant self Quickcast 3.
  • Squall: Medium chance to dualcast Spellblade.
  • Rinoa: Black Magic skills have a chance to grant self Quickcast 3.
  • Zidane: Once per battle at low health, enter Trance Mode for 25 seconds: recover HP, +15% to all stats, Thief skills are instant cast.
  • Beatrix: Medium chance to dualcast Knight.
  • Tidus: Medium chance to dualcast water.
  • Yuna: MAG+?%, increases as user's MND increases.
  • Shantotto: Once per battle at low health, enter Play Rough Mode for 25 seconds: recover HP, +30% MAG, -30% DEF/RES, 1/3 cast time.
  • Ayame: Medium chance to dualcast Samurai.
  • Vaan: Damage +?% based on the number of debuffs on target.
  • Ashe: Medium chance to dualcast thunder.
  • Lightning: Start battle with Haste and Powerchain 3.
  • Snow: Start battle with taunt PHY & BLK, DEF/RES+200%.
  • Y'shtola: Medium chance to dualcast White Magic.
  • Thancred: Chance to give self Blink 1 when using Ninja abilities.
  • Ramza: Increased buff duration.
  • Agrias: Chance when using Knight abilities to reduce the target's Holy resistance by 1 stage.

• Locked thread