Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Bicyclops posted:

Without understanding a ton about hardware, it is pretty easy to figure that Nintendo is not the greatest with regard to hardware without freaking out that they are loving us again.

Did we not already have an idea of the system from seeing Breath of the Wild or is that game supposed to be more of a WiiU title?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

MMF Freeway posted:

Idk what they were expecting from a new nintendo system. They don't even know what the good type of ram looks like over there

*opens up the Nintendo Switch to check out guts, it's got the goofy HIGH PERFORMANCE RAM with "heat diffusers"*

Nintendoooo :argh:

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

It's all about the games, yo

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

tegra: nintendooOO !!

nintendo: tegra !!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

I don't really care about graphical prowess or whatever but please please Nintendo make your online infrastructure (and for that matter your wifi cards) less dogshit, thanks

they're gonna be dogshit aren't they :smith:

Man, not even Sony can do that and they're ahead of the game on Nintendo.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

If Link says "Help, my framerate! All we can render is the pretty water!" every hour and Mario says "I'ma Mario, cartoony because of the Tegra Monster!" whenever he falls into a bottomless pit, I am pretty sure I would still enjoy Breath of the Wild and Super Mario Switcheroo.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
The most bizarre thing is the WiiU obviously didn't have insides as strong as the PS4 and the Xbox One but it still had the best library of games, so I just don't understand why all the panicking.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

ImpAtom posted:

Man, not even Sony can do that and they're ahead of the game on Nintendo.

Eh I'm pretty okay with PSN at least compared to Nintendo ID and friend codes and the like

You're right about the wireless cards though. Why are console wireless cards such dogshit, just provide an external antenna plug or something if you have to, jesus

wires all over my drat apartment 'cos ethernet over power sucks poo poo there, too :mad:

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

haveblue posted:

Not gonna read that thread, what exactly is wrong with the switch

The cpu and gpu are severely underclocked to meet battery/heat requirements. Not that big a deal other than 3rd party support continuing to be sort of lackluster but it means switch games will probably not look much better than wii u games. Of course, it will be the only thing that will play Nintendo games so it always has that.

I mean, unless you really want to play crappy Mario/Pokemon games on smart phones.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I'm incredibly excited for the Nintendo switch.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Ciaphas posted:

Eh I'm pretty okay with PSN at least compared to Nintendo ID and friend codes and the like

You're right about the wireless cards though. Why are console wireless cards such dogshit, just provide an external antenna plug or something if you have to, jesus

wires all over my drat apartment 'cos ethernet over power sucks poo poo there, too :mad:

There's a part of my apartment where the ethernet cable has to cross the room in order to reach my PC from the wall it's otherwise run against. We put down a little rug there to keep people from tripping on it :3:

The router is clear on the other end of the living room, which is like most of our apartment. It is a mess.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
No wonder you guys keep trying to make this the new nintendo thread. (this thread is a lie too, take off the switch in the title. :colbert:)

Nintendo is never known for being the graphical power house.

So the switch is basically like every other Nintendo console, not surprised. I mean I don't think it will ever have the strong support of 3rd party but that's not exactly why I buy the consoles anyways.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
How Nintendo Stole Switchmas

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
I will get a switch but I'm hoping I don't have to quadruple dip on the classic games I like. I have bought Super Metroid for my original SNES, the 3DS, and the Wii U. I know it's totally not a Nintendo thing to do but it would be nice if they did the Sony PSX classics thing and let us keep old purchases on the switch.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

more like

no-integrity-endo bait-and-switch

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Samus: I'm sorry, my ship's computer couldn't record your save file, due to the extremely small hard drive space that Nintendo included at the console launch. Please exit the game and delete something, so that you can play the greatest game of the year, instead of crying into the void about how Nintendo is bad and never buying the awesome game in the first place.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

bloodychill posted:

I will get a switch but I'm hoping I don't have to quadruple dip on the classic games I like. I have bought Super Metroid for my original SNES, the 3DS, and the Wii U. I know it's totally not a Nintendo thing to do but it would be nice if they did the Sony PSX classics thing and let us keep old purchases on the switch.

The Wii games carried over, at least, if with a terrible "Switch to Wii mode" option but yeah, I know what you mean. Even more frustrating is when one of their tentpoles just becomes completely unplayable. Like I get that Mario Sunshine wasn't exactly the most popular one in the franchise and that it suffers a bit more from being tied to a time in gaming where annoying scavenger hunts were totally acceptable, but it's bogus that I can't even buy an overpriced version of it to play on the Wii U.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Even though it doesn't really apply here because there is no situation in which one should take joy in Metroid misfortunes, I am going to say the word schadentroide.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Metroid is coming back, strongly, for the Switch. I believe.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Bicyclops posted:

The Wii games carried over, at least, if with a terrible "Switch to Wii mode" option but yeah, I know what you mean. Even more frustrating is when one of their tentpoles just becomes completely unplayable. Like I get that Mario Sunshine wasn't exactly the most popular one in the franchise and that it suffers a bit more from being tied to a time in gaming where annoying scavenger hunts were totally acceptable, but it's bogus that I can't even buy an overpriced version of it to play on the Wii U.

I thought one of the issues with bringing a game like Sunshine over was the lack of analog triggers? I haven't played it but I understand you need that to control the water pressure.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Dr Cheeto posted:

I thought one of the issues with bringing a game like Sunshine over was the lack of analog triggers? I haven't played it but I understand you need that to control the water pressure.

I mean, the Wii U has Gamecube controller support, so...

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Also sunshine is going to be on the Switch VC, which I don't think has analog triggers.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

corn in the bible posted:

i played hyrule warriors (it was bad)

How on earth was it like a moba

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
In 2017 I would like From Software to announce a new IP or a new Armored Core game, I would like the Switch to have at least five games that interest me, and I would like to parlay my current career as a county case worker into something in the IT or software development field.

I am steeled for disappointment.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

haveblue posted:

Not gonna read that thread, what exactly is wrong with the switch

It's a portable WiiU instead of a portable PS4. That runs on magic.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

VideoGames posted:

The most bizarre thing is the WiiU obviously didn't have insides as strong as the PS4 and the Xbox One but it still had the best library of games, so I just don't understand why all the panicking.

THIRD PARTIES!!!! :argh:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Man, every time I try to replay super meat boy I get stymied by the lovely controls. It just feels so miserable and slippery to play.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

bloodychill posted:

Sony didn't even do this with the jump from PS3 to 4 though? You can't play digital purchases of PS1/2 games on PS4. They did it for the Vita which is awesome though, I wish more companies let you transfer all that stuff. It seems like Microsoft is the best at this with their rapidly growing 360 backwards compat stuff but I don't have any of their consoles so I cant say first hand if thats true.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Yeah, Sony isn't great at it either. I'd be way better with it if they were charging like $5 for stuff from like PS1/PS2. Asking someone to pay about eight bucks for a Super Nintendo game more than one time is really crappy though. Even asking $5 for the NES ones is too much. The emulation has been better than the Virtual Console stuff on PC for long enough that I never feel like paying for it.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Shindragon posted:

No wonder you guys keep trying to make this the new nintendo thread. (this thread is a lie too, take off the switch in the title. :colbert:)

Nintendo is never known for being the graphical power house.

So the switch is basically like every other Nintendo console, not surprised. I mean I don't think it will ever have the strong support of 3rd party but that's not exactly why I buy the consoles anyways.

*looks wistfully at the gamecube*

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
I tend to forget the Gamecube was actually more powerful than the ps2 so you got me there. But I was more going like expecting Nintendo to jump back into the graphics arm race is kinda hopeful wishing.

I mean I'm getting a switch because Breath of the Wild, etc.

Hell if they make a Bayonetta 3, I'm pretty much set.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Ive tried Dynasty Warriors before and couldn't dig it but I love Dragon Quest Heroes so :shrug:

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I was planning on selling plasma to try to make some quick dosh to buy a gift and then I found out there aren't any local places that pay for plasma donations >:[

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l87Ddn-_CQI

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Musou games are definitely button mashers (where you get to scratch the "numbers go up" itch) that get start to get hard and involve strategy once you've put some hours into them, so whether you're into them depends hugely on whether the flavor of it appeals to you.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

In Training posted:

Sony didn't even do this with the jump from PS3 to 4 though? You can't play digital purchases of PS1/2 games on PS4. They did it for the Vita which is awesome though, I wish more companies let you transfer all that stuff. It seems like Microsoft is the best at this with their rapidly growing 360 backwards compat stuff but I don't have any of their consoles so I cant say first hand if thats true.

sony's been holding back ps classics from ps4 because they think that when ps now is mature and they have a business model for it that works that it will serve as their one stop back catalog service.
when that happens is anybody's guess though because it costs too much on top of other game services and 3rd party publishers all have to be on board with it and that's probably like herding greedy cats but its still a very new thing and works surprisingly great in my experience so hopefully it turns into something people actually want.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

In Training posted:

Having shared PSX classics on PSP, PS3, and Vita was nice but you're right, they oddly didn't move them forward to the PS4 even though I'm sure the technical effort would be minimal. Probably for the reasons hurthling mentions.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
kanedaaaaaaaa

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

CJacobs posted:

Man, every time I try to replay super meat boy I get stymied by the lovely controls. It just feels so miserable and slippery to play.

I guess I don't know how to describe it but Super Meat Boy's platforming has a flow/pace to it that I really like (and I think it controls fine)

I go back to it a lot even after getting the trophies just because it's fun to blaze through real quick

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Real hurthling! posted:

sony's been holding back ps classics from ps4 because they think that when ps now is mature and they have a business model for it that works that it will serve as their one stop back catalog service.
when that happens is anybody's guess though because it costs too much on top of other game services and 3rd party publishers all have to be on board with it and that's probably like herding greedy cats but its still a very new thing and works surprisingly great in my experience so hopefully it turns into something people actually want.

Maybe they can learn a thing or two from the game they just released about herding a cat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

FirstAidKite posted:

I was planning on selling plasma to try to make some quick dosh to buy a gift and then I found out there aren't any local places that pay for plasma donations >:[

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l87Ddn-_CQI

If you're that hard up for cash then I'm sure anyone who legitimately cares for you would understand you not giving them a gift. Or you could try making something, even if you're not artistically minded you can bang out something like a kusudama flower ball in an afternoon while watching Netflix or you could do something like make a CD of the Billboard top 10 songs from when they were born.

• Locked thread