Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

https://twitter.com/seanbabydotcom/status/391643537894166529

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Reposting this so it won't get lost on the bottom of the last page:

What would be a good Battle Tree team made up exclusively of the Tapus and the UBs? I can't be assed to breed a ton, and these guys have great stats, IVs, natures, and only need a heart scale or a TM to access all their moves.

Right now I'm leaning towards Pheromosa, Kartana, and Tapu Fini as a strong team, but I'm open to suggestions.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Reinanigans posted:

What would be a good Battle Tree team made up exclusively of the Tapus and the UBs? I can't be assed to breed a ton, and these guys have great stats, IVs, natures, and only need a heart scale or a TM to access all their moves.

Right now I'm leaning towards Pheromosa, Kartana, and Tapu Fini as a strong team, but I'm open to suggestions.

I'd suggest Celesteela over Kartana in that but I'm not sure about how good Pheromosa would be as you'd probably be running Low Kick over High Jump Kick since battle tree is already prone to :xcom:-ing your winstreaks.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Kartana really should have been a Kart

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
Weird question, does anyone have any good nuzzlocke series recommendations? Amusing, or informative that sort of thing.

Note Block
May 14, 2007

nothing could fit so perfectly inside

Fun Shoe

Reinanigans posted:

I recommend peeping Smogon's battle tree thread, you can find posts with people who have progressed/beaten the battle tree (usually singles/super singles) with various teams and sometimes they are ALL Tapu/UB.

Nihilego, Celesteela, Pheromosa, Kartana, Tapu Fini, and Tapu Koko are the most used of the bunch.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
https://twitter.com/ho_mori/status/810871599595454465

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Gen 6 had some really great designs, but there were much fewer new Pokemon overall. My biggest problem with gen 6 (and gen 7) is that the new Pokemon were so rare! I never once encountered a Dedenne in the wild, even after searching the route that it's on and had to get my friend to trade me one. I also never ran into a Pumpkaboo or a Phantump until the post game.

Why is Stufful such a low encounter chance while Fearow and Raticate are so high? It took me an hour to find one. I still haven't been able to encounter anything but Magikarp in fishing spots. Fortunately, I got a Mareanie and a Delmise in a Wonder Trade so now I won't have to search for them. Still need to get a Dewpider though.

X/Y also felt incomplete, with some areas you couldn't access, and I felt that the friend group was pretty dull. It really would have benefitted from a 3rd game.

While I really enjoyed ORAS, it would have been far better as an Emerald remake with a complete Battle Frontier.

Each gen has it's strengths and weaknesses and everyone has different things that they like and dislike in each one.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Reinanigans posted:

pheromosa/lele/celesteela can probably get a decent streak just slamming things relentlessly and leech seed stalling things that can't be brute forced

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

milotic needs to step off and please give primarina recovery please please

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
Gen five was easily my favorite for many of the above reasons and the revolution in bug types. I really appreciated an entirely new set of Pokemon, even though the evolution levels were way too high.

Why are the encounter rates for new guys in gen 7 so drat low though? It took literal days of free time running around in Poni canyon for a Jangmo-o, and I never would have even known Mareanie or Dhelmise existed if trainers didn't have them. A whole day of trying to fish up a corsola, then 40+ turns of trying to get it to call a Mareanie. Spent a day in the Lush Jungle so I can try to catch a Passimian or a Steenie and all I can find are Trumbeaks with the occasional Fomantis. What was the reasoning for that?

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Ruggington posted:

also Competitive, imo

Ruggington posted:

pheromosa/lele/celesteela can probably get a decent streak just slamming things relentlessly and leech seed stalling things that can't be brute forced

the big issue this runs into is not having a fire switch-in, while the priority protection/coverage lele brings for pheromosa isn't as big of a deal since quick claws and poo poo get around psychic terrain anyway and you will have a dead cockroach.

that's why fini is better imo, status protection is consistent and you have a switch-in for fire

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Zoness posted:

also Competitive, imo

the big issue this runs into is not having a fire switch-in, while the priority protection/coverage lele brings for pheromosa isn't as big of a deal since quick claws and poo poo get around psychic terrain anyway and you will have a dead cockroach.

that's why fini is better imo, status protection is consistent and you have a switch-in for fire

Yeah, I like Fini best for pairing with Phero and Kartana, even though apparently Kartana isn't that widely used? Seems strange. It's stupid strong and fast and has a great movepool. I mean, yeah, it has the defenses of paper (ha), but in the Battle Tree, with a Focus Sash, I figured it'd be KOing a ton of stuff before going down.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

X/Y had the best encounter design so far imho, a nice mix of old and new with a lot of variety. I didn't like gen 5's no old mon's policy, and while it did have some cool new designs a lot of them were ruined by evolving or showing up super late. And yea, 7 having many of the new ones being so rare you might as well use a guide or you'll miss them isn't ideal either.

Though I haven't played ORAS from what I understood that pokeradar thing would pretty much fix the later issue though so I hope that makes it back for the next game. I'm hoping it's missing from SM because of the simultaneous dev cycle they use rather than an actual design decision.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Zoness posted:

yeah fini's definitely the best bet for consistently hitting a 50 streak, especially with taunt

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Ruggington posted:

she's just jealous of /Fairy

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
i've seen AV Primarina soak some really dumb stuff, i wish her movepool was just a bit deeper though

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Nessa posted:

Gen 6 had some really great designs, but there were much fewer new Pokemon overall. My biggest problem with gen 6 (and gen 7) is that the new Pokemon were so rare! I never once encountered a Dedenne in the wild, even after searching the route that it's on and had to get my friend to trade me one. I also never ran into a Pumpkaboo or a Phantump until the post game.
Quite a few Gen 6 mons also have the problem that you're already a long way into X/Y by the time you run into them. Heck, you've taken down Team Flare by the time you can find Noibat - and if you skip Terminus Cave for whatever reason, you'll be on Victory Road by the time you see one.

From a route variety point of view, it's super neat - beats running into the Nth Linoone/Gloom/Pelipper/Tentracruel in ORAS - but unless you deliberately set out with the intent of putting lategame 'mons in your team, then they're unlikely to get a chance to shine.

Do the Gen 6 mons show up much in Alola? I'm still waiting for Moon as a Christmas present :v:.

Paul.Power fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Dec 19, 2016

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Paul.Power posted:

Do the Gen 6 mons show up much in Alola? I'm still waiting for Moon as a Christmas present :v:.

https://richi3f.github.io/pokemon-team-planner/

This pretty much has a list of everything you can get before pokebank and you can filter by the island you get it on. Though the day care is early so you can easilly trade and breed for things shorty after the first trial.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Paul.Power posted:

phantump, goomy, fletchling, zygarde, pancham, klefki, sylveon, carbink, and their respective lines are the only 6th gen boys in the dex

you can get honedge through the island scan mechanic and greninja through the demo

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

Gen five was easily my favorite for many of the above reasons and the revolution in bug types. I really appreciated an entirely new set of Pokemon, even though the evolution levels were way too high.

Why are the encounter rates for new guys in gen 7 so drat low though? It took literal days of free time running around in Poni canyon for a Jangmo-o, and I never would have even known Mareanie or Dhelmise existed if trainers didn't have them. A whole day of trying to fish up a corsola, then 40+ turns of trying to get it to call a Mareanie. Spent a day in the Lush Jungle so I can try to catch a Passimian or a Steenie and all I can find are Trumbeaks with the occasional Fomantis. What was the reasoning for that?

I definitely agree that pretty much anything you want has way too low an encounter rate. I think they might have been balancing it against the SOS system - takes longer to find a Pokemon, but more control over what you get if you're going for good IVs/etc. The trouble is that most of this poo poo I couldn't possibly care about except for the dex entry, SOS chains are best done with later-game skills and levels, and breeding gives you more control over the outcome than SOSes. And once you actually get around to filling your dex, it's about a billion times easier to QR Scan your way into a somewhat rare pokemon (I used Horsea) and constantly breed/GTS trade them away for entries.

So all that they accomplish with that horrible encounter rate is dissuade people from even bothering to catch Pokemon. Probably why that global mission is going so poorly.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

They're all new Pokemon to me, as someone who has only played Gen 3, 6, and 7. I always wanted to play Gen 2 really badly but I was too young.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Ruggington posted:

phantump, goomy, fletchling, zygarde, pancham, klefki, sylveon, carbink, and their respective lines are the only 6th gen boys in the dex

you can get honedge through the island scan mechanic and greninja through the demo
Thanks. Shame - not that I was really planning on using any of them because there are all these new mons, but it just feels like their window of opportunity was short. Maybe some day they'll have another chance to shine.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

I didn't even know dewpider existed until I was trying to finish out my dex. I didn't even run into a trainer with it or it's evolution either. I don't think I ended up with any gen 7 mons on my team outside the starter because I found better variety / old pokemon I liked faster then I could find new stuff I wanted to try.

Maybe it's just been awhile, but I thought I remember B2W2 and X&Y being pretty good about avoiding "ratata" syndrome where the same wild pokemon are prevalent throughout the game. Sun & Moon are decent about variety, but it feels like there's still a lot of filler and repeating pokemon, with the rare and interesting stuff shoved to 5% encounter rates or SOS battles.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Will the demo greninja breed?

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

JackDarko posted:

Weird question, does anyone have any good nuzzlocke series recommendations? Amusing, or informative that sort of thing.

Griffin McElroy's series proves once again that he and his brother are the only good things about Polygon.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
I did appreciate some of my old favorites like ariados getting a bit of a boost and an improved move set; it's always nice to get to use something that was too hindered in it's debut gen to be helpful. It just feels like a failure of design that if I hadn't been spoiled on weird catch methods and incredibly low encounter rates I would have never seen half of the new guys.

Edit: Speaking of moves, I thought it was kind of weird that every instance of leech life I knew of was replaced with absorb. Then I got leech life on Araquanid and everything made sense.

Dr. Red Ranger fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Dec 19, 2016

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

greatn posted:

Will the demo greninja breed?

no it will not.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

axeil posted:

no it will not.

let greninja gently caress

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

They are both very good, very bulky water boys.

Countblanc posted:

i've seen AV Primarina soak some really dumb stuff, i wish her movepool was just a bit deeper though

Most teams I've seen running soak gimmicks use Tapu Fini. I think the existence of Tapu Fini (and Milotic) in general is part of the reason Primarina doesn't show up as much in VGC.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I like that there's a lot of obscure dudes, but relying on mere low encounter rates, and removing the per-route checklist feature, makes it more annoying than it needs to be.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Okay so, help me out here dudes.

I've never done the pokemon thing before and I'm currently playing pokemon X, if I use the wondertrade feature that can trade with anybody for anygame so I may get pokemons that aren't in my games natural pokedex? And if I want to get particular things like alakazam or something that requires trading to get (that IS in the pokedex and thus must be captured because completionism), then my only hope is to just keep pulling on the wondertrade or actually find somebody who has what I need or something?

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Just put a Kadabra on the GTS, asking for a Kadabra in return, and you'll have an Alakazam in like 5 minutes.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
the loving item carrying trade evolutions though....

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Agent355 posted:

Okay so, help me out here dudes.

I've never done the pokemon thing before and I'm currently playing pokemon X, if I use the wondertrade feature that can trade with anybody for anygame so I may get pokemons that aren't in my games natural pokedex? And if I want to get particular things like alakazam or something that requires trading to get (that IS in the pokedex and thus must be captured because completionism), then my only hope is to just keep pulling on the wondertrade or actually find somebody who has what I need or something?

You're better off finding someone who can trade with you. Wonder Trade is a roulette and not many people are playing 6th gen right now. You cannot get any 7th gen Pokemon from Wonder Trading in X.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Just put a Kadabra on the GTS, asking for a Kadabra in return, and you'll have an Alakazam in like 5 minutes.

Make sure yours has an everstone

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

Chieves posted:

Griffin McElroy's series proves once again that he and his brother are the only good things about Polygon.

Watching/Listening to it now, thank you! This guy is hilarious he reminds me of Conan O'Brien.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7j1kGqvYI8Y&t=1s

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Internet Kraken posted:

Most teams I've seen running soak gimmicks use Tapu Fini. I think the existence of Tapu Fini (and Milotic) in general is part of the reason Primarina doesn't show up as much in VGC.

Unless I'm reading your statement wrong or Tapu Fini taking a lot of damage is a gimmick I think you're using two different meanings of soak since an AV primarina would not be able to use the move soak.

That said I really want either Tapu Fini or Primarina to have some form of good recovery move.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Zoness posted:

Unless I'm reading your statement wrong or Tapu Fini taking a lot of damage is a gimmick I think you're using two different meanings of soak since an AV primarina would not be able to use the move soak.

That said I really want either Tapu Fini or Primarina to have some form of good recovery move.

Hahaha, yeah I completely misread his post. I was thinking of the literal move called soak. Which you'd think wouldn't be relevant but I've seen some gimmick strats where a pokemon uses soak so something like Tapu Bulu can just sweep you with super effective hits.

Tapu Fini with "recovery" is nice though :v: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7vgc2017-501128974