Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Encasing food in gelatin is for convenience?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Throatwarbler posted:

Encasing food in gelatin is for convenience?

No, the gelatin thing is definitely an outmoded status symbol for your Fridge, the miracle of Modern Living.

Everything else is pretty much spot on, though. Bland convenience food was, and still is, the the primary diet of like probably the majority of adults and definitely the majority of kids. Me and my friends who are all good at cooking and turn our board game nights into big weird pot lucks are a total outlier of weird nerds who bothered learning how to cook for ourselves. I can list off 3 coworkers that I can tell you for sure only cook real food if their kids are coming over. Otherwise it's all TV Dinners or those prepared entrees from the supermarket that you just have to bake for 40 minutes.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

It's something of an epidemic- heavily processed foods are cheap and tend to be easier to come by for low-income households, so the people in low-income households tend not to learn how to cook properly. On top of that, you have people who get so used to the bland-rear end heavily processed taste of lovely food that "real" food is disgusting to them. A lot of my family is like that- we've always been low income and it wasn't until I started cooking healthy and working on my diet that it really became an issue. It took a good number of years before my family would eat the "weird" food I cooked because they were so used to having to eat lovely, cheap food. Hell, it took me a good long while to re-train my taste buds.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Mymla posted:

As a Swede, this is the first I've ever heard of homogenized milk not being literally the only thing available at stores.

Gammaldags mjölk- 'old fashioned milk' is sometimes available in stores. The difference is that the cream separates and floats to the top.

UHT milk is also available in Sweden. 'Mjölk med lång hållbarhet'- usually found in workplace break rooms next to the coffee machine.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Yawgmoth posted:

Also poutine made well is the best food, poutine made poorly is the most disappointing thing ever.
And poutine made with leftover Thanksgiving turkey gravy is fantastic.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Sociopastry posted:

American here: but I have always, always hated the taste of milk. It always tastes like snot to me, and I cannot untaste it. If it's in other things, it's fine, but I can't handle straight up milk. Almond "milk" though is the poo poo and super good and tasty.

This is kinda bizarre to me. I can taste milk that's gone off, but the regular stuff just tastes mild to me. Maybe you kept drinking bad poo poo?

I tend to drink at least one glass of milk a day, sometimes two. It's pretty heavy on the calories and nutrients for a beverage, so it bulks up meals.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Hirayuki posted:

Holy poo poo.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Hirayuki posted:

oh my god, why has this never crossed my mind

olaf2022
Feb 19, 2003
Fun Shoe

CommonShore posted:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/01/magazine/betty-crockers-absurd-gorgeous-atomic-age-creations.html?_r=0

tl;dr packaged food and the like was well-marketed as to become a modern status symbol.

from that article:

:stare:

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
WHY IS THE TABLE SO HIGH

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

olaf2022 posted:

from that article:

Anti-social eating.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

olaf2022 posted:

from that article:

I'm the :v: fish on the fish plate.

Also the pastry-topped jello mould.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

chitoryu12 posted:

This is kinda bizarre to me. I can taste milk that's gone off, but the regular stuff just tastes mild to me. Maybe you kept drinking bad poo poo?

I tend to drink at least one glass of milk a day, sometimes two. It's pretty heavy on the calories and nutrients for a beverage, so it bulks up meals.

The likelihood that every single glass of milk I have had over the course of 26 years is bad... Eerie.

Just kidding that's stupid milk just tastes like snot to me.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
There is a great book about the rise of that weird-rear end "fancy" cooking in the early 20th century US called Perfection Salad by Laura Shapiro.

Her research suggests that what everyone has already said about the increased popularity of processed foods like Jell-O and the wanting to show off your refrigerator are spot on, but three other factors are the switch from Germany to France as a cultural touchstone after World War I (19th century French cookbooks were all about the aspic), the rise of "home economics" as an academic and corporate discipline (easier to justify your salary for making an elaborate gelatin concoction than something simple), and the increased free time for middle-class housewives as things like washing clothes were increasingly automated.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Iron Crowned posted:

For some reason, all pizzas in Ohio come square cut. I don't get it at all, I rarely order pizza, so whenever I do order one, I'm always pissed that it's square cut.

This is not true at all. There are two local chains in Dayton (Marion's, which is great, and Cassano's, which used to be) that always square cut but otherwise I never saw it in my 24 years of Ohio.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Nuevo posted:

I'm the :v: fish on the fish plate.

Also the pastry-topped jello mould.

What about the :v: fish coming to gobble up the ... taco soup?

I'm the wontons/small pastries? in the middle washed out area of the photograph

JohnnyCanuck posted:

WHY IS THE TABLE SO HIGH

haute cuisine

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Iron Crowned posted:

For some reason, all pizzas in Ohio come square cut. I don't get it at all, I rarely order pizza, so whenever I do order one, I'm always pissed that it's square cut.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

If someone can link the start of the small pastry saga, I can put it in the OP right away when I get home from work.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3770505&pagenumber=29&perpage=40#post459943640

edit to add bonus gif prompted by the new thread tag:

Palpek posted:

I actually made one more final gif when that thing was going down but never finished it...until now:

http://i.imgur.com/9vBKvBJ.gifv

:patriot:

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

olaf2022 posted:

from that article:

I don't remember that Twin Peaks scene

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

sweeperbravo posted:

haute cuisine

height cuisine

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

JohnnyCanuck posted:

WHY IS THE TABLE SO HIGH

Like the cloth you cover yourself with as you eat ortolan, it is to hide your shame from God.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Those photos from that article are pretty fun

I find myself strangely aroused by this one, fuckin' weird-rear end late sixties/early seventies

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

Titus Sardonicus posted:

Those photos from that article are pretty fun
:catdrugs:

Somehow missed the original article. I feel slightly better now knowing these are from some art piece. That first one though, other than the hands coming over the edge of the table is spot-on.

Nuevo has a new favorite as of 05:38 on Dec 20, 2016

Ten Becquerels
Apr 17, 2012

My Little Tony: Leadership is Magic
People do drink milk straight up here in good ol' Australia, but the dairy product that is weirdly popular here is 'iced coffee' - i.e. sweetened, coffee-flavoured milk. Some of the newer fancy brands use actual coffee in them, but most of it just has coffee flavour and very little if any caffeine. Our iced coffee from cafes is similar, coffee over ice with milk and/or ice cream and usually sugar syrup as well.

One 600mL carton is about a fifth of the daily recommended calorie intake, but it's insanely popular, especially with tradies.

They could probably solve the obesity epidemic just by banning this stuff. Maybe pies too.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

RandomPauI posted:

*An educational short on how to buy food comes to mind.

"Korean stink radish, oh boy!"

Your post reminded me of a short from the late 40s where "Mrs Newlywed" agonizes what to serve her husband's business partners, who couldn't believe a Northeastern cook could prepare pork like back home Midwest. The short was sponsored by a NE pork company, so I guess this was a time when "the other white meat" wasn't as available or ubiquitous?

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

"Korean stink radish, oh boy!"

Your post reminded me of a short from the late 40s where "Mrs Newlywed" agonizes what to serve her husband's business partners, who couldn't believe a Northeastern cook could prepare pork like back home Midwest. The short was sponsored by a NE pork company, so I guess this was a time when "the other white meat" wasn't as available or ubiquitous?

Until the 20th century, pork was not served or eaten much outside autumn except in pig-heavy regions (of which the Midwest is one). Pigs were also much smaller back then, and had less lean meat; an average pig nowadays would have been extraordinarily heavy in in the 1950s, and it's mostly muscle. That's why pork grades got revamped several times between the 50s and the 80s.

So yeah, it wasn't as ubiquitous, and in the 40s it would have been before industrial breeding pushed for leaner meat.

Prism has a new favorite as of 06:29 on Dec 20, 2016

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

I mean, that ramen sandwich looks like poo poo but it doesn't look like poo poo.

But I think what needs to be done is that it needs taste testing. So I'll concede your victory if you make one, eat it, and document the experience either in text or video.
Have before, would again. I'd eat one today if it weren't for the fact that my fridge is full of food that needs to be eaten before I head to my parents' place for Christmas. Nothing wrong with a noodle sandwich. Looks like they didn't butter the bread in this case which is a critical error, but the concept is sound.

Mymla posted:

As a Swede, this is the first I've ever heard of homogenized milk not being literally the only thing available at stores.
For a little while when I was a child my father found a shop selling un-homogenised milk, and he'd pour the cream off onto his breakfast leaving the rest of us with basically skim milk. :argh:

Ten Becquerels posted:

They could probably solve the obesity epidemic just by banning this stuff. Maybe pies too.
I mean, I guess a bloody revolution might solve the obesity epidemic. :shrug:

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
I'd like to point out that either that woman is wearing shrimp heads on her fingers or the acid is kicking in.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

angerbeet posted:

I'd like to point out that either that woman is wearing shrimp heads on her fingers or the acid is kicking in.

I don't know how I managed to miss that

Ten Becquerels
Apr 17, 2012

My Little Tony: Leadership is Magic

Tiggum posted:

I mean, I guess a bloody revolution might solve the obesity epidemic. :shrug:

There may be bloodshed, but the world will be a better place in the end.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Tiggum posted:

Have before, would again. I'd eat one today if it weren't for the fact that my fridge is full of food that needs to be eaten before I head to my parents' place for Christmas. Nothing wrong with a noodle sandwich. Looks like they didn't butter the bread in this case which is a critical error, but the concept is sound.

Heavily buttered bread is essential, then noodle sandwiches are the poo poo.

This is from a few pages back now but w/e

Hirayuki posted:

That's interesting; I've never seen milk on the shelf in Japan, only refrigerated (which is not necessary, but apparently it's often sold in the fridge section in the States because we get hinky about unrefrigerated milk). In fact, I've often seen actual milk bottles, like milkmen bring, both in the refrigerated aisle and in adorable milk vending machines.

I've never seen milk in glass bottles here ever, or a milk vending machine. Whay city do you live in?

After a bit of reading it turns out I was right, basically all milk in Japan is UHT, but not the same kind of UHT as in the US. It's called HTST milk (high temperature short time), where it's heated to a much higher temperature but only briefly. It means it has a longer shelf life but still has to be kept refrigerated. I was used to a refrigerated shelf life of like 4 days on milk, here is in Japan it's much longer but not months unrefridgerated like other UHT milk.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

angerbeet posted:

What? You've never put bugles on you fingers?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

bike tory posted:

I was used to a refrigerated shelf life of like 4 days on milk

Your refrigerator was broken.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Ten Becquerels posted:

People do drink milk straight up here in good ol' Australia, but the dairy product that is weirdly popular here is 'iced coffee' - i.e. sweetened, coffee-flavoured milk. Some of the newer fancy brands use actual coffee in them, but most of it just has coffee flavour and very little if any caffeine. Our iced coffee from cafes is similar, coffee over ice with milk and/or ice cream and usually sugar syrup as well.

One 600mL carton is about a fifth of the daily recommended calorie intake, but it's insanely popular, especially with tradies.

I can understand the first ban, but you take pies from Australians and you have a full-scale revolution on your hands.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

I live in a town where Arsenic was not a "problem" for many years

Always question strange tap water

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Stolen from yospos

https://gfycat.com/FavoriteKindheartedHypacrosaurus

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Ten Becquerels posted:

God damnit, I thought at least calories were a metric unit

Our nutritional facts boxes are all metric and everything, but I'm lost trying to relate anything to kJ :negative:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Grand Fromage posted:

This is not true at all. There are two local chains in Dayton (Marion's, which is great, and Cassano's, which used to be) that always square cut but otherwise I never saw it in my 24 years of Ohio.

SO, then Domino's and Little Caesar's?

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Data Graham posted:

God damnit, I thought at least calories were a metric unit

Our nutritional facts boxes are all metric and everything, but I'm lost trying to relate anything to kJ :negative:

One calorie is about 4 joule, so that milk is about 70 kcal/100 ml.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Mymla posted:

One calorie is about 4 joule, so that milk is about 70 kcal/100 ml.

So one carton of it is the equivalent of one liter of Coke