Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Goons are over exaggerating. If you're in a civilized part of Florida, the tap water is safe to drink. It'll taste bad, but it's safe.

If you're drinking from some weird redneck's well, then all bets are off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Small Pasty saga must be added to the OP.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

For me i cant distinguish between UHT, pasteurized or fresh milk as an ingredient when its part of something else.
The latter two are indistinguishable IMO when theyre from the same source.
What matters really is the sugar, protein and fat levels, like jersey cow milk is pretty high in fat by itself and super creamy, but isnt that sweet. And more protein Ive felt can compensate a bit in mouthfeel for low fat milk, but only up to a certain point.

Also gently caress corn fed cow milk
Rank rear end poo poo from a satanic cows rear end in a top hat

(of course your organic unpasteurized milk tastes different, bucko, it comes from different places and different types of cow eating different types of food)

RareAcumen posted:

Small Pasty saga must be added to the OP.

Yeah american versions of english shows suck

Rigged Death Trap has a new favorite as of 15:26 on Dec 19, 2016

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Rigged Death Trap posted:

For me i cant distinguish between UHT, pasteurized or fresh milk as an ingredient when its part of something else.
The latter two are indistinguishable IMO when theyre from the same source.
What matters really is the sugar, protein and fat levels, like jersey cow milk is pretty high in fat by itself and super creamy, but isnt that sweet. And more protein Ive felt can compensate a bit in mouthfeel for low fat milk, but only up to a certain point.

Also gently caress corn fed cow milk
Rank rear end poo poo from a satanic cows rear end in a top hat

(of course your organic unpasteurized milk tastes different, bucko, it comes from different places and different types of cow eating different types of food)

Yeah american versions of english shows suck

https://youtu.be/0S1uhjAtLow

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

WampaLord posted:

Goons are over exaggerating. If you're in a civilized part of Florida, the tap water is safe to drink. It'll taste bad, but it's safe.

If you're drinking from some weird redneck's well, then all bets are off.

I tried it. It was gross as hell, but it was safe. The local dude that told us the water may make you sick was either loving with us or drinks swamp water at home.

That said, it was gross enough that it's basically unusable for drinking, or even mixing something in to drink. What the gently caress, Florida?

"Photo courtesy of the Let's Never Be Able to Sell Fruit Again Council."

I love pizza and tuna and pears, and yet now I don't want to eat any of them ever again. Great.

Also: what the gently caress are those black blobs? Did they char slices of pears somehow? I have so many questions...

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
All the big (financially solvent) cities have water that is fine but with their own terroir. Rural wells taste as good and are as safe depending how you site your well. Its usually the small communities inbetween who are just barely big enough to justify a treatment plant. Well or intake placement probably isn't the greatest, and filters are undersized or undermaintained and they make up for it with massive chlorine additions because that's a sanitizing method that scales all the way up to the point that the tap smells like a swimming pool. Or they don't and you end up getting brain amoebas when you shower.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

That's the most vegan-looking dish I've ever seen.

Vegans! This is how the world sees you!

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Not to stray into politics but I was hoping this was sarcastic and am sad it is not.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
I don't think they do UHT milk here in Ontario. I've never ever heard of it before.
Though we do have homogenized milk, a.k.a homo milk.

Also, and unrelated, I made Maple BBQ Beer Balls for my company potluck last Friday!

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

JohnnyCanuck posted:

I don't think they do UHT milk here in Ontario. I've never ever heard of it before.

It can be found, I don't think it's popular. Usually found near the evaporated milk products.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

JohnnyCanuck posted:

Also, and unrelated, I made Maple BBQ Beer Balls for my company potluck last Friday!

You fool. This looks fine. I don't even have anything in the background that I can make fun of you for!

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
I'm honestly curious here: Why does it seem like the 50's had so many really weird food combos? Like there are cookbooks about using jello for all these weird rear end recipes like having hotdogs suspended in it, or having celery flavored Jell-O. Then there's poo poo like that tuna and pear pizza.

I know there's tons of weird food today, but it just seems like back then it was more...accepted I guess?

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

All of a sudden everyone could afford a freezer and pack it full of processed food.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

If someone can link the start of the small pastry saga, I can put it in the OP right away when I get home from work.

OldTennisCourt posted:

I'm honestly curious here: Why does it seem like the 50's had so many really weird food combos? Like there are cookbooks about using jello for all these weird rear end recipes like having hotdogs suspended in it, or having celery flavored Jell-O. Then there's poo poo like that tuna and pear pizza.

I know there's tons of weird food today, but it just seems like back then it was more...accepted I guess?

A lot of it was just gimmick stuff because of poo poo like cheap and available refrigeration being new and exciting, so cold meals and things like jell-o that needed to set in a cold environment became the metric for keeping up with the Joneses. Despite everyone hating to actually eat it.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
It was new and looked at least interesting, if not appealing. People trying to impress people with food care a lot more about presentation than taste, even today.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

OldTennisCourt posted:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/01/magazine/betty-crockers-absurd-gorgeous-atomic-age-creations.html?_r=0

tl;dr packaged food and the like was well-marketed as to become a modern status symbol.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

This has been discussed before itt, but gelatin/aspics were seen as a luxury in the days before widespread refrigeration, so in the 40s and 50 when everyone started getting refrigerators they all wanted to make aspics to show off how prosperous they were thanks to MODERN TECHNOLOGY.

They were always gross as hell, but they choked them down because social climbing and peer pressure was more important than learning how to use exotic spices like some kind of foreigner.

preview edit: beaten already, but wth

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

JohnnyCanuck posted:

As a Swede, this is the first I've ever heard of homogenized milk not being literally the only thing available at stores.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

OldTennisCourt posted:

In the 50s having a refrigerator was still a sign of status and wealth, so making stuff that requires refrigeration, like weird-rear end jello recipes, was a way to show that you're hot poo poo and full of money.

edit: beaten

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

FINALLY

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

I dunno, I wouldn't really say it looks like excrement.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Subjunctive posted:

Square cut is good if you're feeding younger kids.

For some reason, all pizzas in Ohio come square cut. I don't get it at all, I rarely order pizza, so whenever I do order one, I'm always pissed that it's square cut.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

It does not look like doo doo, don't cheat.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
If you can look at that and not think "wow that looks like poo poo" I'm so sorry

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
It's not even brown, dude.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

If you can look at that and not think "wow that looks like poo poo" I'm so sorry

The bingo card means it in a literal sense, not metaphorical.

Everything in the thread "looks like poo poo" if you mean metaphorically.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

We're posting in this thread "poo poo" has a different meaning here

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Doo doo on the bingo card can either mean Looks Bad Todd or :itwaspoo:

Don't try and take the man's victory away from him.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

:shrek:

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
ACES, being the OP, has the final say. I think I've got a pretty convincing argument here.

If he calls me a winner, I'll throw $10 to a charity.

If he says "no deal," I'll go eat something terrible from the podunk gas station up the street and document it for the enjoyment of the internet (and probably still throw ten bucks at the humane society or whatever because they need it this time of year but don't tell ACES that ok)

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Mymla posted:

As a Swede, this is the first I've ever heard of homogenized milk not being literally the only thing available at stores.
The term "whole milk" means full-fat, homogenized milk in the States, but full-fat, non-homogenized (creamline) milk in Canada, so what we call "whole milk" they call "homo milk". It looks like Canadian whole milk is still not often found in regular supermarkets, though.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
poo poo, that one person was right on the money, The_White_Crane will now only ever be "small pastry guy".

Sweet rear end tag :c00l:.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

I mean, that ramen sandwich looks like poo poo but it doesn't look like poo poo.

But I think what needs to be done is that it needs taste testing. So I'll concede your victory if you make one, eat it, and document the experience either in text or video.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Given ACES judgment, I move that the square in question on the AFP bingo card be rewritten to read, "RESEMBLES FÆCES"

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug
I ate a poutine for lunch today and it is such a shameful, disgusting experience I thought of you, AFP thread. Tasted great, though.

I will now fall into a grease coma while at work.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

I mean, that ramen sandwich looks like poo poo but it doesn't look like poo poo.

But I think what needs to be done is that it needs taste testing. So I'll concede your victory if you make one, eat it, and document the experience either in text or video.
I need to see this. :f5:

Also poutine made well is the best food, poutine made poorly is the most disappointing thing ever.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Piggybacking on bland food chat, so many people lacked culinary skills that there were educational films meant to get men* and women born in the 1930's and 40's up to speed. I suspect three things came into play.

First, we had the Great Depression. The great depression narrowed affordable food choices. The situation didn't change much until the years after WWII ended. Let's call it a gap of at least 15 years. There's no use passing down certain family recipes if it's impossible to get or afford the ingredients.

Second, women were expected to cook meals every night regardless of how hard they worked in the day. Without the shortcuts provided by canned/frozen/gelatinized foods it'd take a lot longer to cook dinners. Those shortcuts become especially attractive if the mother has an outside day job and community obligations.

Third, if you were a young woman who wanted to start work immediately after leaving the home would you spend a lot of time learning how to cook a lot of different dishes using ingredients you weren't familiar with in quantities you wouldn't eat?

*An educational short on how to buy food comes to mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

American here: but I have always, always hated the taste of milk. It always tastes like snot to me, and I cannot untaste it. If it's in other things, it's fine, but I can't handle straight up milk. Almond "milk" though is the poo poo and super good and tasty.