Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Shankerz posted on here briefly. Iirc he was most notable for hating gays even more than IRNI hates Jews.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Erenthal posted:

I might have missed this in the last 6000 pages of threads, but Shankerz is one of us right? Or he's paid? I mean, he has to be paid! I just cannot conceive of an existing reality in which a person this goddamn stupid exists otherwise. It's a black hole. CERN just wasted billions of dollars finding anti-matter, when all they had to do was to open up this guys skull and find plenty.

Something Awful: Profile for 'shankerz'

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Wrecked Angle posted:

Derek Smart, Derek Smart, DEREK SMART!!!

I don't quite know how to say this...

But Derek's game is bad.

I wish I could have pushed on past the quarter of an hour mark but really... it was painful.

Apparently since I played it for free at the right time, I own it now that it costs $10. If you can get around the completely terrible interface (by reading half a dozen manuals, each as succinct as one of Derek's blog posts), the game does do some neat and unique things. I'm not sure if I'd call it "fun" though

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Hav posted:

Thank you, your Dad is literally me.

When did you depart for the other side? Do you me to pass on some message to anyone you left behind?

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

9 hours?!?!

So this Foo Diddley dude is a 3000AD employee or contractor right?

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

MeLKoR posted:

When did you depart for the other side? Do you me to pass on some message to anyone you left behind?

Tell your wife I love her.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Ol Cactus Dick posted:

9 hours?!?!

So this Foo Diddley dude is a 3000AD employee or contractor right?

Most of that time was spent alt-tabbed and searching through a manual

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QX0r6DsvXAU

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
http://ca.ign.com/articles/2016/12/19/star-citizen-fps-module-star-marine-gets-new-trailer-details-a-ign-first

"Blizzard does a lot of this honing behind closed doors. It takes them quite a while, to hone and iterate. Then they release something, and generally it plays really well," Roberts said. "I think we're just trying to do the same thing, but much more public. We're inviting the community to participate in that. Here's what we think works well, and if it doesn't work well we're looking at it and adjusting it, and honing it, iterating it. It's very different than I've done stuff in the past."

:neckbeard:

8 Ball
Nov 27, 2010

My hands are all messed up so you better post, brother.

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

This ship is ugly as gently caress, even by Star Citizen standards

Looks a bit like a beet

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

A relaxing walk in the woods
Grimey Drawer

Waving hands posted:

"We already model atmosphere and different room volumes, so if a door opens or a window gets broken, it will start to remove the atmosphere from the volume," Roberts said. "That is all part of what we're trying to do for 3.0 which will allow for depressurization. People getting sucked out, or things getting sucked out. If you have a suit on you'll be okay. If you don't have a suit on, you'll asphyxiate."

Did Pgabz lie????

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004

Thanks so much, absolutely hilarious :worship:

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

Erenthal posted:

Did Pgabz lie????

Yes. Pgabz has a long tradition of falsehoods.. Example. Remember when Pgabz told us Star Citizen's develop would take about 2 years in 2012. He told us it would get stale if it went longer than 3 years, but here we are.

You should stop being such an angry liar Pgabz. Also, you should stop selling ships.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

i could read a whole book of this sort of thing

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Mr.PayDay posted:

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2016/12/19/star-citizen-fps-module-star-marine-gets-new-trailer-details-a-ign-first

"Blizzard does a lot of this honing behind closed doors. It takes them quite a while, to hone and iterate. Then they release something, and generally it plays really well," Roberts said. "I think we're just trying to do the same thing, but much more public. We're inviting the community to participate in that. Here's what we think works well, and if it doesn't work well we're looking at it and adjusting it, and honing it, iterating it. It's very different than I've done stuff in the past."

:neckbeard:

Blizzard has PTRs months before it comes out live and they are all accessible and streamable. Closed fnf tests happen 6+ months before coming out.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters
"We already model atmosphere and different room volumes, so if a door opens or a window gets broken, it will start to remove the atmosphere from the volume," Roberts said. "That is all part of what we're trying to do for 3.0 which will allow for depressurization. People getting sucked out, or things getting sucked out. If you have a suit on you'll be okay. If you don't have a suit on, you'll asphyxiate."

Lol the airlock didn't fool anybody but chris it seems.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haXvp8M9Cog

Bunch of art changes coming.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

DogonCrook posted:

Lol the airlock didn't fool anybody but chris it seems.

I love that they can just straight-up lie about what's in the game, and people who have played the game and know firsthand that it's a lie will eat it up anyway

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/promotions/welcome-to-sc

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Gosh I hope they don't delay 2.6 ....

Seems like a bad move to me , if they do release 2.6 and it's a complete mess , no one will want to give them anymore money since they already saw the product

Amarcarts
Feb 21, 2007

This looks a lot like suffering.

Erenthal posted:

I might have missed this in the last 6000 pages of threads, but Shankerz is one of us right?

That's what I first thought but then I saw his post count. Unless he's the manchurian candidate or some poo poo nobody on earth has the patience for that kind of deep cover assignment.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Sappo569 posted:

Gosh I hope they don't delay 2.6 ....

Seems like a bad move to me , if they do release 2.6 and it's a complete mess , no one will want to give them anymore money since they already saw the product

If they release 2.6 and it's a complete mess, Citizens will pretend that it isn't

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Foo Diddley posted:

If they release 2.6 and it's a complete mess, Citizens will pretend that it isn't

But this isn't for citizens. This is a grab for fresh blood

Anyone who wants to try it out because it's free for 48 hours , is the type of person who won't pledge once they see the bugs

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Sappo569 posted:

But this isn't for citizens. This is a grab for fresh blood

Anyone who wants to try it out because it's free for 48 hours , is the type of person who won't pledge once they see the bugs

Well that's been true every time they've let people play it for free, hasn't it?

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Erenthal posted:

Did Pgabz lie????

We can stop pretending, reddit already knows about his .cfg fuckery.

If only he would direct his anger and hacking skills and video/audio production talents towards good instead of Derek Tamaras's dirty work...

StarBegotten
Mar 23, 2016

Foo Diddley posted:

I love that they can just straight-up lie about what's in the game, and people who have played the game and know firsthand that it's a lie will eat it up anyway

Thats because Chris has discovered a great truth.

People are loving stupid.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

Just in case this got missed in my previous wall of text:
Christopher Roberts is an anagram for "poo poo Botch Errors Rep", which should be his new job title.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Well this is bullshit.

Deckard was a replicant, he should be loving dead of old age. :colbert:

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Foo Diddley posted:

Worse part is that, as a game desing standpoint, the feature is useless.

Either

A) Every player has a space suit and the feature is useless aside ambiance and poor NPC playing ragdolls.

or

B) Not having a suit is 0HK, so the first thing to do in a round is to get suits, turning it into a "fun tax" and back to the A scenario.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters
Speaking of atmosphere and netcode. I was under the impression modelling atmospheres for things like rooms is pretty demanding in itself. Making it so everyone expeirences the same thing at the same time seem like that would crater the network.

Honestly the only game i can think of that does this is that spacestation whatever game that failed in early accsess. When they introduced atmosphere modelling the jig was up. They couldnt add anything else or after a couple of hours the game would grind to a halt. That was a 2d game..

Even if they stopped now and this is the full scope, i dont see how they could modell atmosphere and still have processing power for the game. Is there a trick to doing this like raycasting or something. I assume games like cod they arent modelling this stuff because the effect is similar to an anti grav grenade.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

That's very close to Cymelion, almost to the point of being believable, o7 shankerz

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

This ship is ugly as gently caress, even by Star Citizen standards

The funny thing is that I think it represents the only bit of innovation that I can recall from Star Citizen. Since communication isn't instantaneous in the SC universe data has to propagate between solar systems on jump buoys that traverse points on regular intervals. Most data is transmitted this way and can take hours to go across the galaxy. Folks with data that's particularly critical or time sensitive can serve as couriers, so the end result is a job that's entirely dependent on getting from Point A to Point B as fast as possible. It also opens up the opportunity to erase data by intercepting buoys, or to have a crime not occur at all if it happens in a region where messages aren't transmitted and all records of the crime are destroyed. There's also some interesting possibilities for hacking messages, getting ahead of your reputation after you commit a crime, and a few other ideas (like how the right to name a solar system is bestowed upon the first player to report the data, not find the system).

It would make for some interesting gameplay mechanics if the whole thing wasn't a loving scam.

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004

:gary:

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

Ahh, so it's being abandoned then. Good work as always CIG.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

can't wait for the new immersive sepia filter to complement the grey

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

tooterfish posted:

Well this is bullshit.

Deckard was a replicant, he should be loving dead of old age. :colbert: