Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
"Cost of Living" is a great episode.

As are all episodes that involve Lwaxana Troi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Pakled posted:

What, you never said to yourself "I love Worf's son and I love Troi's mom... I just wish they'd use them both at once"

Please do not leak my upcoming slash fiction novella

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
I've found people's opinion on Lwaxana is almost entirely down to age. Olds like me have come to really like her and sympathise with her, specially after her DS9 development. Young folk find her annoying and dumb. Heartless people of any age also share that opinion.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Baronjutter posted:

I've found people's opinion on Lwaxana is almost entirely down to age. Olds like me have come to really like her and sympathise with her, specially after her DS9 development. Young folk find her annoying and dumb. Heartless people of any age also share that opinion.

Lwaxana herself isn't the problem of Cost with Living.

It's the holodeck program that she creates.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Lwaxana is great, if only because she forces the TNG crew to react like normal human beings instead of the standard "enlightened 24th century elite".

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Lwaxana is great, if only because she forces the TNG crew to react like normal human beings instead of the standard "enlightened 24th century elite".

Exactly. It's like when Q rolls in and goes, "Why are you people acting like such weirdos? This universe doesn't make any sense!"

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

I just want to get in on the Lwaxana love. She is great and even in the poor episodes she was in, it was not her that made them that way.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Baronjutter posted:

I will admit, she's funny and I like how Majel played her and she was good in DS9, and she had one good episode in TNG (the one where she's in love with the guy from the Logan's Run planet) but the rest of her TNG appearances are like a vortex of bad writing.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Lwaxana is generally entertaining but she's not like screamingly funny the way some of the writers seem to have thought. She's just weird and inappropriate, which can be funny or not depending on how good the setup is. I'd rather watch an episode about her than Vedek Bareil, but I'd have a hard time naming a Lwaxana episode that I really like. At best they're silly fun.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

I don't even think she's weird and inappropriate. All the men on the Enterprise D are just staid uptight sticks in the mud aside from Riker. Every one of them to the last pretty much clams up and goes all goony the second a hint of sex appears.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Also Troi is such a poo poo to her mom. It's just constant eye rolls and deep embarrassed sighs like she's some lovely teenager being asked how school was. "uhhhgg mommmmm you're SO embarrassing!!! I'm trying to look cool and professional in front of my friends!"

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

remusclaw posted:

I don't even think she's weird and inappropriate. All the men on the Enterprise D are just staid uptight sticks in the mud aside from Riker. Every one of them to the last pretty much clams up and goes all goony the second a hint of sex appears.

Wesley had sex with both Alyssa Milano and an interdimensional space-dude

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Yeah, Lwuxana's great because she makes you realize the extent to which most of the crew is a bunch of repressed uptight weirdos.

Lwuxana actually gets to show the full range of human emotions (and usually can't blame it on space magic) while being flamboyant as gently caress and it's glorious (even if that just means she's the best part of a lot of bad episodes).

Also Deanna really is the worst, but her "mother!" reactions are pretty much the most humanizing moments she ever gets on screen.

I think people who hate Lwuxana mostly hate her because they genuinely like that the crew is a bunch of freakishly professional enlightened future people with muted emotions and limited self expression, whereas I've always found that to be the most off-putting aspect of the whole show.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

WampaLord posted:

To me the worst episode of TNG is Cost of Living. Way worse than Sub Rosa.

"The higher, the fewer"

That episode owns, just for that proclamation.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Duckbag posted:

Yeah, Lwuxana's great because she makes you realize the extent to which most of the crew is a bunch of repressed uptight weirdos.

Lwuxana actually gets to show the full range of human emotions (and usually can't blame it on space magic) while being flamboyant as gently caress and it's glorious (even if that just means she's the best part of a lot of bad episodes).

Also Deanna really is the worst, but her "mother!" reactions are pretty much the most humanizing moments she ever gets on screen.

I think people who hate Lwuxana mostly hate her because they genuinely like that the crew is a bunch of freakishly professional enlightened future people with muted emotions and limited self expression, whereas I've always found that to be the most off-putting aspect of the whole show.

The Enterprise in TNG era is weirdly staffed with emotional cripples. Picard is extremely reserved and can't deal with young people, Data is an autistic robot, Geordie is an autistic man, Worf is extremely rigid and serious at all times, Tasha Yar was born on the Rape Planet, Barclay etc etc.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

When I was a kid, I liked Lwaxana Troi because she was funny and embarrassed the usual crew. (It helped that I'd never really encountered the Auntie Mame character type before.) But even then I recognized that it was a good thing she only turned up once a year or so. A little goes a long way.

Looking back now, I agree that the writing for her episodes was all over the place. It's hard for a normally-serious show to be deliberately funny. Sometimes they hit, sometimes they miss. This one in particular is a wonderful moment, which couldn't have been done with any other character:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ukG33mB5bw

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
Does the thread have a favorite non-Q recurring character? I am a fan of Broccoli Barclay.

Also Weyoun. All of them except that whiny traitor.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
I don't know, most of Lwaxana's episodes just seem unusually badly written, even for TNG. :shrug:

Broccoli owns though

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
lolwut: http://shop.startrek.com/detail.php?p=1023186

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Contemporary art is a dumpster fire

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

That's the kind of weird inexplicable poo poo I'd expect to see at a yard sale, or on a bad Etsy page.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Half A Life is one my favorite episodes of TNG.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Oh god I saw that at the Star Trek: 50 Years, 50 Artists exhibition! It's really creepy. :stonk:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Wow, get a brain you loving idiot. When a Vulcan is born, the grandfather immediately dies. The grandfather's imploded skull is used to store the baby until it either dies or has accepted logic as the greatest of concepts and is allowed to become a part of society. This is basic stuff.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

TheBigAristotle posted:

Does the thread have a favorite non-Q recurring character? I am a fan of Broccoli Barclay.

Shran pretty much single-handedly redeems Enterprise

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

TheBigAristotle posted:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Maybe you should talk to Worf again.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

The thing I like about this is that he knew it was a fruitless gesture and that he'd be cloned again. Worf risked the guards killing him just to stick it to Weyoun.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Missing the best part, Damar laughing.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Weyoun and brunt and garak are all fantastic recurring characters and 2/3 are combs. Also shran redeems enterprise. Just put a combs on it and she'll be right.
Damar is good too specially with weyoun.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

WickedHate posted:

The thing I like about this is that he knew it was a fruitless gesture and that he'd be cloned again. Worf risked the guards killing him just to stick it to Weyoun.

The General posted:

Missing the best part, Damar laughing.

This is why Worf did it. To get a laugh from Damar.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
I'm still holding out hope that Combs will get cast on Discovery.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Combs was Brunt too? Neat.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Kesper North posted:

What's the average lifespan for an Andorian?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

VanSandman posted:

Combs was Brunt too? Neat.

Yeah, he was in the same episode playing 2 characters once, for the first time in trek. They reaaaaaly wanted a scene where they see each other in passing and exchange a look but they didn't have time/budget.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Doggles posted:

That's gonna be a huge problem for Discovery, setting it when they did. Star Trek can never resist crossing characters over, and there's a shitload of people who will still be alive from Enterprise or TOS in this era, many of whom should be prominent. Their absence will be more odd.

There's no reason T'Pol shouldn't be alive. Hell, we know T'Pau is there and very powerful, if they ever go to Vulcan she's gotta show up. April will be serving as an Ambassador, Pike and the Enterprise will be in the middle of his 5 year mission (or it could be April, I suppose). The other Constitution Class starships should be active. Sarek should be a power player. Garth of Izar (lol) should be active and doing poo poo.

I almost wish if they'd done a prequel it had been a reboot, because I don't trust them to include all the history they should. Enterprise jettisoned a lot of that (til the last seasons) but at least they had the excuse of "100 years before Kirk, 100 years after First Contact".

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Doggles posted:

Unspecified, but could easily be centuries. There's nothing preventing Commodore Shran.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Dec 20, 2016

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

MikeJF posted:

Unspecified, but could easily be centuries. There's nothing preventing Commodore Shran.

He shows up in STO, finally in control of the Enterprise.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Phlox could still be alive too. :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

Kesper North posted:

I'm rooting for this for the obvious reasons, but also because I want to watch this entire thread do a complete 180 on ST:D.