Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

slurry_curry posted:

Its kind of dumb, but I love The Blacklist. It is totally insane and unrealistic, but entertaining. Same with Burn Notice, I have watched the entire series multiple times, but I still put it on for mindless entertainment.

Spader is the only redeeming feature of The Blacklist but he's so goddamn good that it makes the show enjoyable.

Seconding Somewhat Heroic's suggestion of Justified as well. Everything about the show is great. One of the best protagonist/antagonist relationships I've ever seen on TV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Previa_fun posted:

I've never actually seen a house in person with the kitchen vent fan properly vented to the outside.

My 30 year old house vents to the attic.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Previa_fun posted:

I've never actually seen a house in person with the kitchen vent fan properly vented to the outside.

When we bought our house this was on our list of pre-purchase demands and the prior owners seemed stunned that venting anywhere other than the attic was a legitimate concern.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

BloodBag posted:

OH MY GOD you got my TacoCat! He was the best floof that ever lived and I miss him every day. You be nice to that catte, eh? Cats will hiss and spit and be generally lovely for a couple of weeks then gradually move on.
E: :sicknasty:

Fermented Tinal posted:

Congratulations, you now have two cats.

I don't plan on keeping this one, sorry guys. She definitely needs some vet care that I can't afford at the moment.

Someone on Nextdoor said this cat has been roaming around my apartment complex for several months, they think she was left behind by someone when they moved out.

Previa_fun posted:

I've actually lived in an apartment, of all places, that had the vent hood actually vented outside. Never anywhere else.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Previa_fun posted:

My parents have this. I don't know if it was installed by a po or when they did their first remodel in the 80s. I've been training them to actually use the thing because my mom hates the sound of fans (so the whole kitchen gets smokey or full of steam).
They used to have a really sweet dacor vent hood they installed in the 80s that you could put a microwave on top of. It was really good, so much that the person who did the kitchen remodel in the 00s refused to touch it because it was so good.
It broke a few years ago and the parts were long pat NLA, and they bought a new over the range microwave, which is fine, but not nearly as good.

My last apartment (a condo from the 80s) also had a real vent hood to the outside. I was impressed.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

IOwnCalculus posted:

I'm not even certain that this thing is actually properly vented to the outside, I guess I'll find out when I rip it down :v:

The one at my in-laws was when I swapped it out and I was completely astonished - I've never seen that before, ever and I've swapped a couple of dozen of these things over the years. They all have block off plates to switch between recirculate or "OMFG I ACTUALLY HAVE A VENT TO THE OUTSIDE".

If there's any way for you to vent outside - like even if this is just on an outside wall and you can blow a hole through it and throw on a vent cover - DO IT. It's so much better. Burn something? The smoke atually goes outside, not through a charcoal filter you haven't changed in 6 years. Want to boil a big pot of water to make pasta? Steam actually goes outside rather than fogging up your windows in the winter or heating up the whole kitchen in the summer.

slidebite posted:

Question for someone that's programmed CnCs, do you just tell it the finished product and it makes the best way to get to it or do you have to tell it exactly which step and when to do it?

Just about every operation you see is programmed in. There are "macros" depending on what library you are using and the machine (I mean, you don't need to tell it exactly how to swap tools and stuff) but most of that is by hand. You are helped along in good software by suggesting reasonable cutting depths and feed rates based on tooling and material type, but it's kinda mostly you. In large manufacturing balancing speed with tool life and finish of the final part is a really really big deal.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Hey y'all, Rogue One was pretty good.
Did not expect everyone to die. I really figured there would be a last minute rescue for the protagonists.
Also, am I the only one that noticed the AT-ATs were configured for cargo? I figure that's why they went down so easily - not armored for combat.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Motronic posted:

Just about every operation you see is programmed in. There are "macros" depending on what library you are using and the machine (I mean, you don't need to tell it exactly how to swap tools and stuff) but most of that is by hand. You are helped along in good software by suggesting reasonable cutting depths and feed rates based on tooling and material type, but it's kinda mostly you. In large manufacturing balancing speed with tool life and finish of the final part is a really really big deal.
One big thing is that you don't have to work out the exact path to move through (unless you want to). You put in the shape you want and the relevant dimension of the tool being used, and the machine will work out for itself how much room to leave to account for the difference between the nominal position of the tool and the actual cut being made.

People seem to have a real thing about not doing it, and it drives me nuts.

Darchangel posted:

Also, am I the only one that noticed the AT-ATs were configured for cargo?
They're AT-ACTs, the C denoting cargo.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
Mr. Badger has gone and sliced his paw wide open, probably doing something stupid.

Luckily the wife was home, and his friend the combat medic was in town from Florida for the day. He got field-aid and then was airlifted by the AMG to the animal hospital.

Had to get two stitches, but he just woke up and is in good spirits! Dumbass was trying to play the entire time, and hasn't even acknowledged the wound.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Get well soon Mr Badger

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Insurance fuckery update: still getting run around by the at-fault party's insurance. Spoke with a supervisor earlier today, he was supposed to call me back by 2 and never did. Called back again, asked to be connected to him and instead they routed me to another (not assigned to my claim) adjuster, who kept up the pattern of not answering any of my questions. He did try to allege that "this is how all accidents are handled regardless of the insurer" - funny, when my wife's coworker backed into her parked car last year we had a rental that day and the car in the shop by the end of the week (that was with State Farm.)

Contacted state department of insurance after that, per state regulations the insurance company has 21 business days from the time of the accident to accept or decline liability...which is January 17th. gently caress it, if they're still claiming they haven't been able to contact their insured after the new year I'm sitting down with an attorney.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
Silly Badger. Let him know that his former ball is being thoroughly enjoyed by my dog and she hopes he gets better. She hasn't had a tennis ball since she was a puppy because she would just shred all the fuzz. I think the fact that this one smells like another dog has maybe prevented the destruction.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Adiabatic posted:

Mr. Badger has gone and sliced his paw wide open, probably doing something stupid.

Luckily the wife was home, and his friend the combat medic was in town from Florida for the day. He got field-aid and then was airlifted by the AMG to the animal hospital.

Had to get two stitches, but he just woke up and is in good spirits! Dumbass was trying to play the entire time, and hasn't even acknowledged the wound.

Silly Badger. He should be more chill like Rocket (see 3 pages back).

So is there a breed that you associate Badger with? He looks so much like Rocket, it's crazy. Rocket was a rescue (found in the middle of a road, completely lost, because he's an idiot), so we don't know what his origins are, but we're thinking Pointer?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Motronic posted:

The one at my in-laws was when I swapped it out and I was completely astonished - I've never seen that before, ever and I've swapped a couple of dozen of these things over the years. They all have block off plates to switch between recirculate or "OMFG I ACTUALLY HAVE A VENT TO THE OUTSIDE".

If there's any way for you to vent outside - like even if this is just on an outside wall and you can blow a hole through it and throw on a vent cover - DO IT. It's so much better. Burn something? The smoke atually goes outside, not through a charcoal filter you haven't changed in 6 years. Want to boil a big pot of water to make pasta? Steam actually goes outside rather than fogging up your windows in the winter or heating up the whole kitchen in the summer.

As tempting as that is, with everything else going on I'm just going to duplicate whatever is already there. It is against an exterior wall but it seems like if there's a stud right in the middle of it, that'd be a problem. Every time I've had to find a stud in this house, it's been nowhere near where it *should* be so who the gently caress knows.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Silly Badger. Let him know that his former ball is being thoroughly enjoyed by my dog and she hopes he gets better. She hasn't had a tennis ball since she was a puppy because she would just shred all the fuzz. I think the fact that this one smells like another dog has maybe prevented the destruction.

:3: that is adorable and I will surely let him know

Seminal Flu posted:

Silly Badger. He should be more chill like Rocket (see 3 pages back).

So is there a breed that you associate Badger with? He looks so much like Rocket, it's crazy. Rocket was a rescue (found in the middle of a road, completely lost, because he's an idiot), so we don't know what his origins are, but we're thinking Pointer?

Many many guesses from basically everyone that meets him, but if you GIS "black lab border collie mix" probably 25% of those have the same distinct black and white face as Badger and Rocket.

e: same with pitt bull and a border collie, which is probably more accurate for the Beej

Adiabatic fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Dec 19, 2016

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
Regarding TV chat, I recently watched The Expanse and enjoyed the poo poo out of it. Good mix of hard sci-fi and detective noir. Good writing, good characters. Best thing I've watched in ages that wasn't Fury Road for the 10th time!

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

So a staffing company has reached out to me for a job that sounds... familiar, from lurking some threads.

quote:

Meet with customers at designated locations to conduct vehicle repurchase/replacement transactions and ensure all necessary paperwork is gathered and complete
Complete Titling and Registration of new vehicle (if required)
Submit all completed paperwork to client
Manage inventory of vehicles until picked up by transport carrier company or surrendered to dealership
Conduct physical inspection of reacquired vehicles including Condition Report and digital photos
Act as a point of contact for the transport carrier company
Travel to various closing locations is required, approximately 90% of the time

Gee, I wonder what that could be? There's no way at all this could be related to Dieselgate. :v:

(pay is pretty good)

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Oh boy I love unexpected testing work on second into third shift! :sludgepal:

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Geoj posted:

Insurance fuckery update: still getting run around by the at-fault party's insurance. Spoke with a supervisor earlier today, he was supposed to call me back by 2 and never did. Called back again, asked to be connected to him and instead they routed me to another (not assigned to my claim) adjuster, who kept up the pattern of not answering any of my questions. He did try to allege that "this is how all accidents are handled regardless of the insurer" - funny, when my wife's coworker backed into her parked car last year we had a rental that day and the car in the shop by the end of the week (that was with State Farm.)

Contacted state department of insurance after that, per state regulations the insurance company has 21 business days from the time of the accident to accept or decline liability...which is January 17th. gently caress it, if they're still claiming they haven't been able to contact their insured after the new year I'm sitting down with an attorney.

That is Erie Insurance, right? I'm kinda' blown away that they are jerking your around so much.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

So a staffing company has reached out to me for a job that sounds... familiar, from lurking some threads.
My first thought was repo man.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

InitialDave posted:

My first thought was repo man.

Genetics make for good operas.

Just went to the grocery store, and there were two twin boys probably 8 or 9 years old fighting back and forth.

One turned to walk away, and the other one grabbed a loving rack of ribs out of the cooler and took a Barry Bonds swing straight into the other ones ribcage.

Apparently grown men shouldn't laugh at that, and it sets a bad example.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

iwentdoodie posted:

Genetics make for good operas.
I'm more thinking Emilio Estevez.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I see those auto repo men while parked at parking lots all day. Holy poo poo they're fast. They know what's FWD, what's RWD, etc. They'll even have lock overrides, or if it's a manual car, break the window and put the car into neutral. Other times (a lot of Mercedes' I've seen) they just drag that poo poo out, flee a block or two away to the nearest parking lot (QT's a lot, here in AZ), and switch to the proper wheels.

Honestly, no loving joke, in and out in less than twelve seconds I timed once.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

I see those auto repo men while parked at parking lots all day. Holy poo poo they're fast. They know what's FWD, what's RWD, etc. They'll even have lock overrides, or if it's a manual car, break the window and put the car into neutral. Other times (a lot of Mercedes' I've seen) they just drag that poo poo out, flee a block or two away to the nearest parking lot (QT's a lot, here in AZ), and switch to the proper wheels.

Honestly, no loving joke, in and out in less than twelve seconds I timed once.

Yeap. I've seen repo guys so good they don't get out of the truck. And when you turn back around there ghosts. I guess having the lovely people of Chicago shoot at them sure helps speed them up.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

The whole "surrendered to dealership", "conduct vehicle repurchase/replacement transactions", and "Complete Titling and Registration of new vehicle (if required)" had me thinking VW.

It's also a staffing company that deals mostly with office jobs, and pays a lot more than what I would think repo pays. I don't think I could handle the actual repo side of things.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Three-Phase posted:

That is Erie Insurance, right? I'm kinda' blown away that they are jerking your around so much.

Seems to be their MO, look up reviews of them or check their pages on social media - littered with "I was rear ended 1+ months ago by one of your insured and I still have no resolution because you claim you aren't able to reach your insured." Its awfully convenient that they can't ever get in contact with their policyholders who get into at-fault accidents. I fully expect them to take the entire 21 days allowed under state law to "contact" the at-fault driver.

Got a copy of the police report in the mail today (from a law firm sending me a mailer), the officer noted that the driver was distracted by texting or sending emails - which probably means she admitted to it.

That along with the citation should be more than enough to put who was at fault to rest, but at this point it wouldn't surprise me if they decline liability because the at-fault driver tells them I was driving in reverse, my car just materialized out of thin air or that she wasn't anywhere near the accident site that day and just coincidentally has matching damage to her vehicle.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Lol

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Just spent 2 1/2 hours (and 30 minutes dicking around in the middle) polishing headlights. Drivers side assembly looks almost brand fukken new. You can only see haze if you look from a really extreme angle. Passenger assembly still has a very slight haze which is annoying the perfectionist in me, but the drill battery is almost dead, I reek of chemicals and hurt all over. Maybe tomorrow! (or in a few weeks. Urf, mah old man back.) The mothers kit + meguiars compound on the little mothers mini power ball seems to be the way to go given I couldn't get useable light through the loving opaque headlight lenses when I bought this car 6 months ago.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

:siren:Two days left to play the Sheep Game!:siren:

We're kinda down on players right now; I've only heard from 31 so far, which is well short of our all-time best of 51. It's a little disappointing, but I'm hoping we'll rally to a respectable showing in the end.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

MrChips posted:

:siren:Two days left to play the Sheep Game!:siren:

We're kinda down on players right now; I've only heard from 31 so far, which is well short of our all-time best of 51. It's a little disappointing, but I'm hoping we'll rally to a respectable showing in the end.

I'll get in before the deadline.

Also

Does the Ford Fiesta not have a door lock you can physically lock / unlock?

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Bought a new chair...well, used cause it was at goodwill, but hey 20 bucks. Can't afford a bigger TV at the moment so might as well get a chair so I can sit closer for gaming.

Only problem is these two assholes think it belongs to them now.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

iwentdoodie posted:

Bought a new chair...well, used cause it was at goodwill, but hey 20 bucks. Can't afford a bigger TV at the moment so might as well get a chair so I can sit closer for gaming.

Only problem is these two assholes think it belongs to them now.

You should know by now that all chairs, beds, boxes, and piles of laundry belong to them.

Also, pet those cattes.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Update: Parents came in to town to visit and pay respects and such. I told them of our weekend and how it went - I didn't mention our shitass "neighbor" (guy house-sitting for the new neighbor who hasn't moved in yet) - but told them of the washing machine. "Hey, we were going to give you a couple hundred bucks for Christmas, but if we can just buy you a washer on our Sears card that'd be better and free up cash for us."

So, yeah. That was pretty awesome. Bought a Maytag Centennial at the outlet store. If it's a terrible piece of poo poo, please break it to me gently. It just needs to last a year, maybe two, before we move into our own house and get a stackable set. The reviews I saw online were basically, "It's a washer with nothing fancy. Read your care labels and follow them and you'll be fine [which by the way, who the hell doesn't do that and expect their clothes to last?]". Motor and basket have a 10 year warranty through Maytag, and I've got thirty days to break it make sure it works great. All I need is a new drain hose because the old one won't fit.

Since the transmission in the old one is ~180, is it worth the trouble putting back together and then trying to sell? Other than waiting around on an amnesty day at the dump, I don't really know what else to do with the old one. Sorting table? Yuppy "yard art"? :v: "This washer signifies everything I feel about the rising housing prices and trendy hipsters moving into the Nashville area"

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

QuarkMartial posted:

The reviews I saw online were basically, "It's a washer with nothing fancy. Read your care labels and follow them and you'll be fine [which by the way, who the hell doesn't do that and expect their clothes to last?]".

Yo. Been using the "dump everything in with some detergent and run it on normal cycle" school of laundry doing since I was 17. 29 now.

...I should probably grow up and learn how to properly do laundry. :unsmith:

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
You're doing it tho

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

brakleen is an excellent pretreatment, fyi

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Gojo is also an excellent spot treatment for stains before washing. Makes the whole load reek of kerosene though. :v:

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

QuarkMartial posted:

Since the transmission in the old one is ~180, is it worth the trouble putting back together and then trying to sell?

Always. Even if you only get $25 there's probably someone on your area that rebuilds the things and then you don't have to dispose of it yourself.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
It's Monday. My new favorite drink is either a Whiskey Sour with home made sour mix or the Manhattan made with Basil Hayden Burbon. Extra orange bitters please.

...Can I not go to work tomorrow :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Ivlike sours but seriously try a rye and gingerbeer

• Locked thread