Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

DonDoodles posted:

Is Nina still an NoPPS admin?

I dunno. He was on the winter zone chat last night telling everyone he's proud to be a racist and that the USA and Russia would be allies if not for the globalist jews.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

McSpanky posted:

There's gold fringe on the flag in Admiral Quinn's office, that means I took my Oath to Starfleet under Federation Maritime Law and

If you take your oath on board a Tholian ship then technically you're only bound by the laws of another universe because it's a transdimensional war trophy, furthermore

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

McSpanky posted:

There's gold fringe on the flag in Admiral Quinn's office, that means I took my Oath to Starfleet under Federation Maritime Law and

You can only be tried under admiralty court, good thing you're not an admiral... wait, poo poo. You can be tried by all the other admirals we've pissed off over the years.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

super sweet best pal posted:

You can only be tried under admiralty court, good thing you're not an admiral... wait, poo poo. You can be tried by all the other admirals we've pissed off over the years.

Actually since all the timelines are screwed up none of the current admirals are from the same universe as you are which means their authority is null and void.
Get your hands off me starfleet security has no jurisdiction over me, this is an outrage! *gets tasered*

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Just demand trial under the neutral arbitration of the grizzellas, and they have to let you go :master:

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Wait they woke up?! :byobear:

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
ruinthefun's fed and kdf t3 xenomorph K13 stations or whatever they are called are going to be finished in about 6 hours.

I've got alts on both sides if anyone wants invites to them later.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal

DonDoodles posted:

Is Nina still an NoPPS admin?

Still an operator. I never see him in NoPPS though.

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug
Speaking of NoPPS our resident not-sto-forum-admin made a new thread about it celebrating 3 years here.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Aleth posted:

Speaking of NoPPS our resident not-sto-forum-admin made a new thread about it celebrating 3 years here.

This is a legit achievement and really shows how much NoP Public Service has benefitted the STO community as a whole.

Kneecapped the people charging millions for a mere starbase invite overnight when it first went live. I still remember how incensed some of them were that we dared to give away anything for free while they profited from the less fortunate.

Also had the side effect of people no longer needing to live with petty dictator puppet master fleet leaders just to get starbase access which was a very good thing.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah it's really hard to understate how dramatically different things are now. There was a whole assortment of horrible fleets run by predatory officers who basically just took full advantage of everyone they could get their mitts on since being in a big fleet was the only way to get fleet items. Now, it doesn't matter at all, people can be in whatever little friendly fleet they want and as long as they can do a provisioning job now and then, they can get their stuff. It's so not what Cryptic intended, but it's been way healthier for the game community. :toot:

fakemirage
Nov 6, 2012

Can't see the haters.

Asimo posted:

Yeah it's really hard to understate how dramatically different things are now. There was a whole assortment of horrible fleets run by predatory officers who basically just took full advantage of everyone they could get their mitts on since being in a big fleet was the only way to get fleet items. Now, it doesn't matter at all, people can be in whatever little friendly fleet they want and as long as they can do a provisioning job now and then, they can get their stuff. It's so not what Cryptic intended, but it's been way healthier for the game community. :toot:
NoPPS remains to this very day the most Star Trek thing you can find in Star Trek Online. :kimchi:

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
Full Space Communism Now

hakimashou fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Dec 19, 2016

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
Goons... improve everything?

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
There's a strong correlation between "NOPPS made it so its not worth it to build your own fleet anymore" and "the dilex going up and up forever."

hakimashou fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Dec 19, 2016

Remmon
Dec 9, 2011

Preechr posted:

Goons... improve everything?

You must be confused sir. Goons ruin everything. In this case, we ruined the game's economy. For the betterment of the many, but that won't bother the vocal minority.

RoboJoe
Dec 30, 2006

We cleanse.
You are the filth.

I've got a a few questions regarding my Jem'hadar Dreadnought Carrier about some things I'm not sure of.

1) I got to mastery rank 5 with it, and now I can activate either Beam: Overload, Cannon: Rapid Fire, or Surgical Strike, to improve my pets damage by 33%. I'm not sure what surgical strike is, and I don't use cannons, but I have two Beam: Fire At Will equipped (which the wiki recommended). Should I remove one of those to add Beam:Overload to improve my pet damage?

2) I'm not too sure about pets.

I've been using one hangar equipped with the pets that come with it, and the other hangar has Danube Runabouts (which I read somewhere were good to use), but I don't really know what people would recommend. I know I can't get the best pets for this ships as I'd need another very expensive ship to become the pets. I've heard of some pets called Obelisk Swarmers which are good, too, but do I need to own anther ship to get these?

Basically which hangar pets would people recommend I use/upgrade to elite for my ship?

3) Fleet Credit. I've got enough Dilithium to buy a set of new Elite pets so I went to the fleet starbase to investigate them, and well, I need a lot of fleet credits and I don't have many at all. Is donating to the fleet projects the only way to get these?

Technical Analysis
Nov 21, 2007

I got 99 problems but the British ain't one.
1. Don't worry about that too much, your pets aren't going to be doing much work with their energy weapons. They're always on a 50/50/50/50 spread for their power levels, so their energy damage is less than stellar. Pets get their damage from their torpedoes.

2. Fed side, I've always been partial to the elite peregrines. Some folks like the elite scorpions from romulan rep, and they're nice, but their high yield torps can be shot down. The peregrines just poo poo quantums everywhere. Either will do the job though, just comes down to what flavor you like. They do hold up like wet tissue paper in a fight though, so you'll constantly be launching more of them.

3. Fleet credits come only from donating to fleet projects. Ask around in the channel, there's usually someone on who can queue something up for you. A lot of folks like to do the colonization chain, I prefer doing the marks surplus, 2000 fleet marks at half the rate per mark. Fleet marks are easy to get. Just make sure you have the full 2k before asking for it, otherwise some goons might get their panties in a twist.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal
I'm still a fan of the elite Yellowstones they're durable and fart purple clouds everywhere. But in terms of fleet gear the hangers are going to be a low priority. Work on getting embassy sci consoles, spire tac consoles, and your romulan tac boffs first. For fleet credits we got two big upgrade projects coming up on K-13 so if you can dump as many fleet marks and doffs into that as you can. You can also use the armada system to earn extra FC, it's basically just a system of linked fleets that lets you donate into other fleets projects. Our armada is entirely dumb vanity fleets so don't donate anything you could use elsewhere but you can unload marks and stuff there.

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Lagomorphic posted:

I'm still a fan of the elite Yellowstones they're durable and fart purple clouds everywhere.

Yeah, I never use carriers but I thought pet damage was generally terrible, so you're better off just going for CC focused runabouts. Speaking of that BO hangar trait though, if he did use it, is there any real synergy with the EWO shield pen doff? Do any pets actually fire often enough to really benefit from that 4sec window?

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

95% of the things you can put in a hangar are negligible for DPS, and most of the pets that are good, are frigates locked to a specific carrier. The traits can be good, but they're wasted if you're not using one of those good hangars to begin with.

Xy Hapu
Mar 7, 2004

Only bad thing about frigates is they're big enough that you actually start noticing what their AI is doing, compelling you to scream at your monitor like a lunatic about firing arcs while they lazily orbit your target. Would not trade them for the world though, and at least they're not obsessed with performing a microscopic survey of every warp core breach they encounter.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.
Yeah, I've played with Baltims and Romulan Drones and they're both amazing.

He problem with the JHDC is you need to spend more than the price of the ship just to buy the unlock for the frigates - THEN you need the fleet credits.

Also on traits there's precisely one ship trait that's worth getting for pets. It's called Scramble Fighters and it is very expensive, but for carriers it's a nice buff.

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Totally surviving on my own. On LAND!

Coq au Nandos posted:

Yeah, I've played with Baltims and Romulan Drones and they're both amazing.

He problem with the JHDC is you need to spend more than the price of the ship just to buy the unlock for the frigates - THEN you need the fleet credits.

Also on traits there's precisely one ship trait that's worth getting for pets. It's called Scramble Fighters and it is very expensive, but for carriers it's a nice buff.

Yeah, before when I was using Mir Fighters their dps was negligent. When I got the Baltims and watched some of their numbers, they actually hit pretty hard.

I agree that they are expensive. At least with the Baltims, you get an extra flyable starship that is fun to zoom around in.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know
Anyone's ground combat pets just randomly disappear? I bought the set from the Phoenix box promo for my temporal recruit to mess around with. I was just doing the Borg Arc when I noticed only the monkey was showing up. Finally finished it all and now all my pets are just gone. Empty slots. Submitted a ticket (haha!) but was wondering if anyone else has experience this?

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

MREs - They're whats for breakfast, lunch AND dinner !
IIRC they have a limited number of uses before self-destructing.

RoboJoe
Dec 30, 2006

We cleanse.
You are the filth.

Okay great, thanks for all the responses and advice everyone!

From what I can understand actually upgrading my hangar pets to elite is a low priority, as there are much better/more useful things to get for my actual ship first. I did think the pets on a carrier would be the first thing to upgrade though (I suppose if I had something super expensive like the frigates from owning the other Jem'Hadar ship it would be worth upgrading those).

I'll have to research better what I need for my ship when I hit 60, but thanks Lagomorphic for telling me a few things I should go look for, I'll have to go look into those when I'm on the fleet embassy or spire next.

Sounds like using a set of the Danube runabouts was good advice I found, especially as they seem to upgrade really well for when I do. I'll look at the Peregrines that Technical Analysis recommended too, I guess replace my standard Jem'Hadar pets with these and use the Danube Runabouts in the other hangar slot. Or should I be using two hangars of either of them?

I'll have to look into some of those other pets mentioned too but it sounds like those from owning other ships.

I do enjoy playing this game a great deal though, I kind of got in a weird situation coming from console though as I understood a little there (things were simple with my level 40 assault cruiser!), but after I got some every expensive things given to me on PC I'm just fumbling around and now have to figure out how to actually use these things properly so I don't feel like I'm wasting any of it.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

MREBoy posted:

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's ten per item. It's not really obvious either, I think you have to right click and check the item info to see it.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Ultimately, the pets aren't as much a priority because for all the gimmick ship stuff, the fundamental use of a ship in STO is still pew pew pew use ability pew. The ship-type extras are just... extras.

Danubes are okay but keep in minds there's no such thing as 'upgrade', you get elite Yellowstones by buying them straight up. There may be something better at the lower levels instead until you can afford Yellowstone fartmonsters. The go-tos while you build fleet credits are often scorpion fighters from the Romulan rep tree, since you can get elites for relatively cheap.

Your ultimate goal will be bugs, in the end, if you keep flying a JHDC, though.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

MREBoy posted:

Well that's unfortunate. I'm looking over the items now and while they do say "consumed on use" nowhere in the description does it say how many uses.

:cryptic: indeed.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Burning_Monk posted:

Well that's unfortunate. I'm looking over the items now and while they do say "consumed on use" nowhere in the description does it say how many uses.

:cryptic: indeed.

There are some re-usable ground combat pets though. Acid hortas and such like that.

Blacula
Dec 22, 2008

Lagomorphic posted:

You can also use the armada system to earn extra FC, it's basically just a system of linked fleets that lets you donate into other fleets projects. Our armada is entirely dumb vanity fleets so don't donate anything you could use elsewhere but you can unload marks and stuff there.

Wow, this is an awesome feature and completely hidden from anyone who doesn't know about it.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
Binkeyboy has returned to the stomforums as "stoplayer1"

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug
I wondered who that was.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.
Big key and zen sale kicking off tomorrow, including a hilarious bonus item for buying the new 20 pack of keys.

https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10323483

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday
That's the same bonus they've included the last couple times they offered the 20x key bundle.

With the 15% bonus, I think it's the same price as the 10x bundle, with a nice little character-bound bonus.

I've got a couple I'm hanging onto for whenever the next major round of power-creep comes up.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
B'rel Kaylynn Watts@oldravenman3025: Mariko, you're the one with the cool CG character art on the forums

Mariko@smokebailey: Thanks, b'rel....SOMEONE, though reported me and got me a repremand for a picture of my cassy toon giving a raspberry :P

Mariko@smokebailey: but glad you like my art, brel...and i do take comisons

B'rel Kaylynn Watts@oldravenman3025: Yeah, I especially like Cassey. Cute character with cat like eyes

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

hakimashou posted:

B'rel Kaylynn Watts@oldravenman3025: Mariko, you're the one with the cool CG character art on the forums

Mariko@smokebailey: Thanks, b'rel....SOMEONE, though reported me and got me a repremand for a picture of my cassy toon giving a raspberry :P

B'rel Kaylynn Watts@oldravenman3025: Yeah, I especially like Cassey. Cute character with cat like eyes

Ask them about their favorite animes or which my little pony is best to complement their hentai doll collection.

Coq au Nandos posted:

Big key and zen sale kicking off tomorrow, including a hilarious bonus item for buying the new 20 pack of keys.

https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10323483

Chinagame influence right there. They really need to allow ships to cosmetically reflect gold upgrades to promote players trying to show off face.

To be clear I am not endorsing this practice but I do believe in for a penny, in for a pound so to speak.

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Dec 21, 2016

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

hakimashou posted:

Doesn't this person get all their terrible 3D art from someone else already? Or am I thinking of another weirdo entirely?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Is all the Wesley ship guide stuff up to date?

Got zen to burn (it sorta piled up during my absence). :homebrew:

• Locked thread