Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord Crapulus
Feb 12, 2003

About as successful at Le Mans as Toyota
poo poo, I can't even drive that thing in a straight line. Especially if there's shifting involved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supersonic
Mar 28, 2008

You have used 43 of 300 characters allowed.
Tortured By Flan
I'm getting big drops in FPS at Imola at certain corners, and its making it hard to drive the track properly. I'm running an i7-6700, GTX 1070, and SSD so I don't think its performance issues on my end. Is there certain graphics settings I should enable or disable to try and fix this? Imola is the only track that I seem to be getting FPS issues from.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?
Turn down objects and grandstands. I believe objects are the main culprits at Imola - it's been an issue since the track came out, and I hoped it would be fixed with the season update, but here we are.

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
holy lol if imola is killing that rig, jesus loving christ.

obv shoulda sprung for the 1080 for imola,

Supersonic
Mar 28, 2008

Tortured By Flan

The Science Goy posted:

Turn down objects and grandstands. I believe objects are the main culprits at Imola - it's been an issue since the track came out, and I hoped it would be fixed with the season update, but here we are.

This ended up working, thanks!

Also, whats the differences between the Pro Mazda and FR 2.0? I love the Skippy but am looking for an open wheel series with a little bit more power to try out.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Pro Mazda has more complex aero and more power, also only 6 gears. Its basically a Formula 3 car while the Frenault is closer to Formula 4. I don't know if they've changed it but the Mazda also runs a few ovals.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

FR 2.0 also has about double the participation so far this season even though it's very early (since it's newer). I personally wouldn't recommend buying the older car and have only driven the FR.

http://iracer.info/

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
They just changed the Star Mazda to Pro Mazda. There are hints that they are going to scan the new Pro Mazda sometime. If you don't own it, don't buy it right now unless you're OK with it becoming obsolete at a random point in the future.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

My dream may come true: iRacing is holding a poll for which official endurance event to run with Kamel GT cars

As long as the cars don't become useless after getting damage, this should be amazing.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Cojawfee posted:

They just changed the Star Mazda to Pro Mazda. There are hints that they are going to scan the new Pro Mazda sometime. If you don't own it, don't buy it right now unless you're OK with it becoming obsolete at a random point in the future.

Yep, this. It's an old car and while it is fun, it will be replaced either with the just announced (in real life) new Pro Mazda car, or it will die off and be effectively replaced by FR2.0. The big difference with the Pro Mazda is that it does run a small number of official oval races per season, since the real car does too.

Part of me hopes they take the opportunity if they scan the new PM car and do the new USF2000 at the same time.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

IOwnCalculus posted:

Part of me hopes they take the opportunity if they scan the new PM car and do the new USF2000 at the same time.

Based on the USF2000 in rF2 this would be amazing, but it would split the Skip Barber community just like FR2.0 split Star Mazda. They won't drop Skippy because of their partnerships, so that creates yet another series to divide the open wheel community.

I would still drive the poo poo out of Skip and USF2000 though.

skit herre
Mar 24, 2015

Don't do drugs, kids.
Lipstick Apathy
So I decided to check this out and bought a month. It pulled my loving real name from PayPal as my in-game name and I can't figure out how to change that. What the hell is that about, I am not going to play online games under my real name?

/e: Ok, that's how it is supposed to work. Well that were 6€ wasted.

skit herre fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Dec 19, 2016

Old Binsby
Jun 27, 2014

skit herre posted:

So I decided to check this out and bought a month. It pulled my loving real name from PayPal as my in-game name and I can't figure out how to change that. What the hell is that about, I am not going to play online games under my real name?

/e: Ok, that's how it is supposed to work. Well that were 6 wasted.

It's not weird if everyone's bound by the same rule somehow. If you like online competition and racing, try it for a bit. Even the YouTube streamers are all well known by their real names at this point, doesn't seem to bug them that much either.

You can use custom names in leagues, gooncar does that with forums names.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
No one is going to hunt you down and murder you in this niche racing game.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

They'll sure threaten assault though.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Just expect to get a lot of "Really *yourname*?!".

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Yup, it's called accountability. So you don't be a total douchenozzle. And if you are a douchenozzle, you can be called out as a douchenozzle by your real name!

Supersonic
Mar 28, 2008

Tortured By Flan

IOwnCalculus posted:

Just expect to get a lot of "Really *yourname*?!".

I've had a few oval races in the past with a Justin Bieber and each time voice chat would just light up. Eventually turned it off though as I find it distracting, especially in oval where people either complain or get into in-depth real life conversations with friends they know on the track.

I picked up the FR 2.0 in the end and am loving it so far. Reminds me a lot of the Skippy but with more pep. I love the Skip but on fast tracks like Imola I find it a little slow.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I like the FR2.0 but I don't know how to set it up. I grab sets from the forums but I don't know if the person sets it up to be loose or understeery. They just say "Here's my qual set up, I got a 1:45.85 but I think I could shave a few tenths off this."

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
The FR is the one to buy and race. Star Mazda participation sucks and that's enough reason on it's own.. but for more reasons

1) The Star Mazda is 'old' in the sense it's an aluminum bodied car, while the FR is a modern open-wheeler where everything is carbon fibre. So although the rotary in the Star Mazda has a few more HP, it's also probably heavier.

2) Despite the aero being more complex and having more flaps to play with, it seems to make less overall DF than than the FR. Again probably because the Star Mazda is old and most of the aero comes from underneath a car, the sculpted floor of the FR probably shits all over the Star Mazda.

3) The Star Mazda runs ovals. Ovals. Like some American hick bullshit. If you want to actually drive a car including the quite detailed skills of braking and turning, keep away from the tardstadiums.

4) The FR is simple to drive but really, really hard to master. That goes with setup too. You'll be lapping cleanly within an hour, but you might not end up on the pace all week. All that grip and capability means it's actually quite hard to comprehend what the car can actually do and I end up in a place like... ok so every corner I can do a gear higher than I have been. Slow down less, be smoother and just carry more speed. The car, particularly in high DF configs, can do insane things that will take many hours just to even understand.

edit: as for setup tips, just put on a lot of DF. Like at the Glen that just finished, almost max. Something like 28 on the front wing and then whatever rear to keep the balance at 41%. I think that's an important point, learn what wing balance you like and then you can remove and add DF while maintaining your balance. 41% I like because it's enough front to get more turn-in than usual, which means I can slow down less.

Tony Montana fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Dec 20, 2016

Lord Crapulus
Feb 12, 2003

Any time Javier Soto posts a FR setup, I grabbed it because it was amazing and I didn't have to change a thing.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I wouldnt mind kicking off a bit of a chat in here about FR setup. I think I'm learning a lot but I would like to bounce ideas off people like yourself.

Lets start with the biggest thing, imo. To DF or not to DF. Really quick for those who don't understand (this is the iRacing thread, not the PC Sim thread so I wouldn't expect anyone here needing this explained..) more downforce means more drag. More downforce means more grip. Surely it gets to a point where are diminishing returns for more DF and although you can take the corner faster, it means having so much more drag down the straights that it's not worth it. For a long time I played around with this, I'm still trying to get my head straight about it.

I started driving the FR at Phillip Island and that is perhaps where I started the 'low DF' insanity. Namely I found running less DF improved my laptimes, other drivers were telling me that I had too much on my setup. So I reduced it and ended up going pretty well, but the problem was this inserted into my head the idea that I should start shaving off the DF once I was comfortable with the track because that is where some time lies. This is just wrong for many tracks, last week's Glen was a good example. I put in a pile of practice with a low DF car, learning how to drive right on the limit in key corners.. and my laptimes were still seconds off the pace. Eventually I said gently caress it and started piling it on, ending up with nearly max DF which I can lap seconds faster. The car is more stable and safer and easier to drive in races, I find I'm finding time in things like being early on the throttle and smooth rather than riding a ragged edge of mid-corner grip.

I guess it's just experience eventually, knowing which tracks need to extra DF. Going through this process every week is a lot of work, I know the tracks but how to drive them fast in the FR and what kind of FR you need to drive it fast is something else.

Lord Crapulus
Feb 12, 2003

I don't really know much about setting up the FR in particular (the only changes I would ever make were minor changes to wings and tire pressures/cambers), but as far as the DF level stuff goes, I generally liked to go a little lower so I could get the extra bit of speed on the straightaway. Never worked quite how I wanted it to though, I'd generally just get stuck in aero push hell behind someone and not able to get a good run off a corner. I generally aimed for 42% on the aero calculator with the wing changes, but I've always liked my open-wheelers to be very pointy. Never quite figured why I'd be suffering from so much aero push with that much of a front balance though.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I don't know what 'aero push' means, rather than Google it and probably get it wrong, can you explain it? I like the open-wheelers pointy too.

Lord Crapulus
Feb 12, 2003

Understeer induced by following another car closely

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
yeah but you get a tow down the straights, which particularly in a high DF car is where you're hurting.

I'll go home tonight and drive a bit and write some stuff in the thread. Specifics rather than general statements. I might even make a video, it's been a while.

What was the laptime tool you guys are using? iSpeed sounds like it's no longer the standard, but I got pretty good with it and could do detailed telemetry analysis. Is there a new application now?

Lord Crapulus
Feb 12, 2003

The FR has like no tow at all, it's really weird compared to every other open wheeler I've driven. I'd get maybe a tenth on an average straightaway.

iSpeed can't handle the random weather changes, so I haven't used that in forever. I've got Motec that I've used for ride height but not much else. VRS is pretty neat for comparing to other people, and I'm pretty sure the guys that run it are doing a data pack for the FR.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

When you are following close to another car, you don't get any downforce on your front wing because their car shoved all the air out of the way, so you get understeer from no front grip. Aero push - push caused by aero.

Martin Krönke is doing a data pack for FR, the Pro Mazda, and the MP4-30 this season. I wish Rens was still doing the A90 data pack this season, but if he's not racing Kamel then us mere mortals might have a snowball's chance at a championship. I was in the top 10 last season, I might be able to pull off a top 5 this season if I can keep up this week's performance.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I'll have to download VRS tonight.

Where is FR this week? I can't see from work.

General RAARGH
Jan 24, 2003

armchair general
According to the super handy iRacing weekly planner it's at Donington national

The problem with too much downforce is that you can get stuck unable to overtake people with way more speed down the straights

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I'm just sitting here putting off plugging in my wheel (cockpit in 2017, nye resolution) and I found a couple of sweet videos for SM vs FR.

It really is Euro or USA. It's interesting to see how similar they move on the track in reality despite looking completely different. It's Road America too for the SM while Spa for the FR, which I think is appropriate :) The racing is amazing in both, the fight for the lead in the SM race is fantastic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vK5K4Ju09ME
I saw on some in-car that there is a little shifter on the left like 80s F1, no paddles. It's 6+ years old now. There is probably newer footage of SM but until they model the new car in iRacing, you're driving this car I'm guessing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_tQlAHZeyQ

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
I've not driven an official race for a few months so maybe it's changed but I remember the Frenault series to have some p bad driving in it: like the sort of people that are trying to get into GT3 really quickly. I'll probably run a race or two when I'm back in Scotland over Christmas, maybe it's gotten better. I mean my road irating is really low so that's probably why, although other bottom slits aren't as bad

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
yeah, I've been shitcunted many a time

I just bought Donnington. Lets have a look then

Lord Crapulus
Feb 12, 2003

biffed my qual lap in GT3 at Phillip Island, started 7th, worked up to 3rd...then realized that I was going to be a half gallon short because the Finn/FGT combo was too fast and we had to do a 28th lap :negative:

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Well Donnington is a lot of fun. It's like a go kart track. There are only 3 corners so it's refreshing how easy it is and how quickly you can get on it. The second corner is a 5th gear high speed adventure so it's only really 2 real corners.

As I don't know poo poo about the track I didn't post anything more last night because I need to drive it a bit first. But already I just used my high DF Glen setup, was doing great and then started shaving off DF and losing time!

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Donington is a pretty difficult track in a competitive race environment, similar to Lime Rock and Laguna Seca. It's easy to do a halfway decent lap since the track is relatively straightforward, so everyone is fast. You have to push the car's limits much more than a technical course to pull a gap, and people will make overly aggressive moves in dumb places because it's hard to pass with speed alone. Lots of contact, lots of wrecks.

Lord Crapulus
Feb 12, 2003

Do lag switches or something like that exist for iRacing? I'm not saying that this one guy was using one, but it seemed awfully convenient that the only blink he had the whole race was when I was alongside trying to pass him on the last lap...

So GT3 is really fun and I haven't seen any of the stereotypical GT3 stuff. I feel like I'm following a traditional career path; wash out of open wheel, end up in sports cars. I notice aero push quite a bit in these cars too, not quite as much as the FR but more than the other cars I've raced. Maybe that's just because the higher powered open wheelers don't tend to have much close racing though.

e: I guess if I was going to complain about something GT3 it would be the stupid BoP. I'm sure it's close over the course of the season since there hasn't been any big change or addition in a while, but the Ford is a drat rocketship at Phillip Island, and everyone's just kinda like :shrug:

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
A lag switch. I guess I could make one easy enough, just a script to doing something like ping a host with big packets or something like that and execute the script however you like, attach a usb rear end scratcher if you want.

I'm getting better at Donnington and reckon I'll make an effort post tonight or tommorow. In short, max DF and there is more time in the car that I haven't been able to use yet. I pulled a 1.03 last night while all the quick guys are doing 1.02s. I'm close and reckon I'll get to 1.02s shortly. Watched a guy do a 1.01 and it was a dead giveaway that he was running max DF, barely slowing down for the final chicane at all.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

If your sub is lapsed, there's a $15 for 3 months code being emailed out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

njsykora posted:

If your sub is lapsed, there's a $15 for 3 months code being emailed out.

PR3MonthsLapsed2016