Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

a kitten posted:

Osomatsu-san

Holy poo poo, this was a great recommendation. The first episode had me in stitches

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Mederlock posted:

Holy poo poo, this was a great recommendation. The first episode had me in stitches

are we talking the actual first episode, or the first episode that is legally available on streaming sites because the original had to be taken down cause it's just 24 minutes of making fun of other popular anime

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

The Colonel posted:

are we talking the actual first episode, or the first episode that is legally available on streaming sites because the original had to be taken down cause it's just 24 minutes of making fun of other popular anime

The one where it's making fun of other animes.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Mederlock posted:

The one where it's making fun of other animes.

Perfect. That's the vanished first one.

Also, a helpful guide:

Osomatsu: :)
Karamatsu: >:(
Choromatsu: 8|
Ichimatsu: -_-
Jyushimatsu: 8D
Todomatsu: :3

eatenmyeyes
Mar 29, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I'm a few episodes into Utena and liking it so far. Seriously though, how many times are they going to show her climbing those stairs?

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

eatenmyeyes posted:

I'm a few episodes into Utena and liking it so far. Seriously though, how many times are they going to show her climbing those stairs?

Forever and you're gonna like it!

A Doomed Purloiner
Jan 4, 2006

eatenmyeyes posted:

Until they find out there was an easier way to get up there the whole time.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
is everybody in Clannad: After Story a compulsive liar

i'm not even complaining, this is weirdly entertaining and has way more personality than most Key stuff, but drat

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

eatenmyeyes posted:

Repetition is a big part of Utena. It's the best.

e: oh, that was from weeks ago. Whatever, it's true.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

is everybody in Clannad: After Story a compulsive liar

i'm not even complaining, this is weirdly entertaining and has way more personality than most Key stuff, but drat
Which part are you in, it's been too since I've seen AS to remember. Unless it was for comedic parts?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Nate RFB posted:

Which part are you in, it's been too since I've seen AS to remember. Unless it was for comedic parts?

I'm like 6-7 episodes in.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Are there any shows in the spirit of Steins;Gate -- where this character loses someone and turns common sense and the laws of physics upside-down to try and get them back, likely endangering themselves and others in the process, getting way in over their head and only surviving by sheer outrageous willpower -- where the protagonist is a woman trying to save a guy rather than the other way around?

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Madoka Magica.

Oh wait, woman saving a guy. Hmmm....

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

a kitten posted:

Madoka Magica.

Oh wait, woman saving a guy. Hmmm....

Yeah, Madoka's great but I'm actually as much interested in seeing a dude used as a symbol of fragile hope as a girl being a borderline self-destructive genius.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

It feels like there has to be something, but I'm drawing a blank.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

I think the Steins;Gate movie has Kurisu saving Okabe but I already know about that one!

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
space patrol luluco is a short series that ends in that exact way, every episode is six minutes long and it's thirteen episodes so you can blow through it pretty quickly

also the steins;gate movie isn't super great, just a warning. it's pretty much the same stuff that happened in the second half of the show, but with kurisu kissing teenage okabe

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Dec 19, 2016

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

not an anime but qualia of purple

e: it's a woman saving a woman though, didn't realize you'd specified the latter.

also yeah luluco is a decent fit

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I think the Steins;Gate movie has Kurisu saving Okabe but I already know about that one!

it also has being very boring

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Cake Attack posted:

not an anime but qualia of purple

!!!

Yeah this.

Also, even though it's technically outside the scope of this sub-forum the excellent webcomic Kill Six Billion Demons

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
^^^ Well at this point it's a better shonen fighting manga than any actual shonen manga, so it might as well be here.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib
I'm sure I've missed a lot of the better shows that aired this year since I stopped following the season threads. What are some that I should watch before the AOTY thread goes live? I've mostly just watched cute girls doing cute things.

I have on my list already Re: Zero, Orange, and that Rakugo one. If Iron Blooded Orphans aired this year, that's also on the list.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

unpronounceable posted:

I'm sure I've missed a lot of the better shows that aired this year since I stopped following the season threads. What are some that I should watch before the AOTY thread goes live? I've mostly just watched cute girls doing cute things.

I have on my list already Re: Zero, Orange, and that Rakugo one. If Iron Blooded Orphans aired this year, that's also on the list.

Watch Flip Flappers

Euphonium's second season has also been excellent. They aren't my AOTY candidates, but I've also really enjoyed Amanchu, New Game, and Flying Witch.

Spiritus Nox fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Dec 19, 2016

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Osomatsu-san

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Osomatsu has already won AOTY in my heart, and also from the absurd amounts of fujo bucks flowing into the franchise.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
You could also try Konosuba, Tanaka-kun is Always Listless, and March comes in like a lion.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

unpronounceable posted:

Echoing Flip Flappers, and if you don't mind adding one more cute girls show to the pile for this year, Magic of Stella is actually a pretty fantastic show about horrible insecurity and indie game dev crunch time

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Concrete Revolutio

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

unpronounceable posted:

I would recommend Sakamoto Kun and Mob Psycho those were two of my favorites. Sakamoto is absurdist comedy but done very well. Mob Psycho 100 is by the same author as One Punch Man so it has a similar feel but imo it has a better story than OPM also much more funnier.

Boku No Hero Academia is also a good shounen show but it is very much cookie cutter and it doesn't do anything new to the genre but it does everything very well. Its kinda like the Xmen cartoon if it was an anime.

Some shows I feel like were overhyped but still enjoyable to some extent. Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress and REzero.

Bakuon is a cute girls show about motorcycles incase you didn't watch it, it's pretty fun and cute.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i wouldn't really ever recommend watching bakuon over reading it cause the anime cuts out a lot of the gags that kind of define it and the only stuff it really adds is bizarre fanservice. nothing in it's really worth the loss of the visual humor imo

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Someone not recommending March comes in like a lion means they have questionable taste. Watch that. Or read it, because it's quite a lengthy manga and it's real good.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

unpronounceable posted:

Fune wo Amu
Flip Flappers
Poco's Udon World
Flying Witch
Tanaka-kun is Always Listless
Eupho S2
Yuri!!! On ICE
March comes in like a lion
Drifters
New Game
Girlish Number
Mob Psycho 100

This is just some of the stuff I've seen and would recommend without any qualifications (except Eupho S2, where I would just add "watch Eupho S1 first if you haven't"). I still have Concrete Revolutio and Magic of Stella on my list of stuff to watch once I'm no longer trying to juggle over a dozen other shows.

...There's been a lot of good anime this year, much of it from this season.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Captain Invictus posted:

Someone not recommending March comes in like a lion means they have questionable taste. Watch that. Or read it, because it's quite a lengthy manga and it's real good.

It's a two cour, it won't qualify for this years thread.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

unpronounceable posted:

Lupin III Part 4.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Not enough people watched it but Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu is incredible.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Also March comes in like a lion is great but it's gonna keep running into the winter season so I don't know if it's technically eligible for ADTRW AOTY this year.

edit: ignore me someone already said this.

Here's my full list anyway:

1. Yuri!! on Ice
2. Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu
3. Tonkatsu DJ Agetarou
4. Flying Witch
5. Osomatsu-San

devtesla fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Dec 19, 2016

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
It should be an interesting AOTY competition this year.

Edit: Would there be any interest/need for a companion thread which allows people to talk about the shows they have watched this year that were not released this year.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

a kitten posted:

!!!

Yeah this.

Also, even though it's technically outside the scope of this sub-forum the excellent webcomic Kill Six Billion Demons

Wait, crap Qualia isn't about rescuing a guy either.

Don't care, read it anyway.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

a kitten posted:

Wait, crap Qualia isn't about rescuing a guy either.

Don't care, read it anyway.

Already read it, and watched Space Patrol Luluco as well. :v:

Thanks anyways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib
Thanks for the input. I'm going to have to cut into my Overwaifu time for anime.

Spiritus Nox posted:

Watch Flip Flappers

Euphonium's second season has also been excellent. They aren't my AOTY candidates, but I've also really enjoyed Amanchu, New Game, and Flying Witch.

I was interested in Flip Flappers before, but I didn't realize it was AOTY material. Those other four are totally my poo poo, and I saw already.

GorfZaplen posted:

Osomatsu-san

Totally forgot about that. *heads off to find the lost episode*

StandardVC10 posted:

You could also try Konosuba, Tanaka-kun is Always Listless, and March comes in like a lion.

Konosuba is now on the list, and I completely missed that March Comes in Like a Lion was Shaft. I already relaxed through Tanaka-kun.

Droyer posted:

Concrete Revolutio
Will check it out.

Ulio posted:

I would recommend Sakamoto Kun and Mob Psycho those were two of my favorites.
I'll check them out, though I wasn't too enthused by the gifs I saw of Sakamoto-kun. Vanilla shounen does basically nothing for me, so I'm gonna skip My Hero Academia.

Srice posted:

Lupin III Part 4.
Do I need to watch other Lupin III stuff before jumping in?