Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

vibur posted:

This was from a legal firm representing SIIA. They were given all the documentation for license purchases (which are 100% legit), ignored all of it, and said, "Pay us $500K." Basically, I'm have to reconfirm all the documentation and reorganize the report (this license is on this receipt, etc.).

I'd hire a lawyer at this point. There are guys out there who specialize in dealing with the BSA and SIIA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Methanar posted:

How are you initiating the installs? You might be able to take the if statement a step further so that rather than providing iPXE to everyone not already iPXE you only provide it to a list of mac addresses.

Or if you're doing Windows machines through SCCM you could maybe provide the iPXE image which itself would then load up Windows PE.

e; Ehh, actually this doesn't work because you can't get the iPXE component out over wifi in the first place.

Wifi isn't relevant, I'm just looking to set it up so only designated MACs PXE boot, so I can add the MAC to a list, boot the machine, auto install, then as part of its post-install setup have it remove itself from said list.

Its all theoretical right now anyway, I don't have the resources in place to do such a thing since its home lab only, my router is doing DHCP, and my server is only up sometimes so I can't move DHCP to that.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Methanar posted:

e; Ehh, actually this doesn't work because you can't get the iPXE component out over wifi in the first place.
If you're super anal-retentive, there are a handful of wifi adapters that you can flash to overwrite their built-in boot rom with iPXE, not that this is in any way a simpler option than just distributing a 50-cent USB key to chainload iPXE.

Also, some vendors ship with PXE-enabled wifi by default; in particular, recent MacBook laptops without optical drives are able to boot from another device on the network hosting the install media.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

RFC2324 posted:

Wifi isn't relevant, I'm just looking to set it up so only designated MACs PXE boot, so I can add the MAC to a list, boot the machine, auto install, then as part of its post-install setup have it remove itself from said list.

Its all theoretical right now anyway, I don't have the resources in place to do such a thing since its home lab only, my router is doing DHCP, and my server is only up sometimes so I can't move DHCP to that.

I think just getting DHCP off your router and onto something with better management would be the simplest solution rather than messing with custom PXE images.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

How about we get a thin client that doesn't suck?

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

The Fool posted:

I think just getting DHCP off your router and onto something with better management would be the simplest solution rather than messing with custom PXE images.

That's why it's theoretical for now.

Good info to have for designing a deployment system later tho.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

psydude posted:

How about we get a thin client that doesn't suck?
The last time I used thin clients in any meaningful capacity was Wyse terminals in a Citrix Metaframe (lol) environment on a mixed 10/100 campus network circa 2006, and they all worked in a very no-suck way. :confused:

AbrahamSlam
Jun 12, 2013

Mess with the bull, you get the WANG!
Got another fun GeekSquad story;

So, we offer a warranty program called the Geeksquad Total Protection Plan. This covers the user against things such as viruses, hardware issues, and accidental damage.

Anyway, the other night I had a client come in who had this plan. They had two laptops, both smashed to poo poo, mostly the screens and keyboards. So, I get them started on the paperwork, and ask them what happened.
They immediately demand that we just replace both units on the spot because "I have warranty". The story they gave me was absolutely fantastic. "My kids were mountain climbing in the Philippines, and both laptops were in my sons backpack..
he accidentally dropped it off the side of the mountain!" At this point, I'm thinking to myself that it's got to be a load of poo poo. The laptop casings are totally fine, it's the monitors and keyboards that are all smashed up.
Upon closer inspection, you can clearly tell that all impacts are directly to the screens and keyboards. There are dents in the monitors that look like clear hammer strikes. I let the client know that we can send these off to our depot,
but due to the nature of the damage it may not be covered (Intentional damage isn't covered. A lot of people will try to bust up their poo poo a few days before their contract ends in the hopes of getting an upgrade). The client throws a
huge fit, and lets me know that "My kids couldn't have done this, they're toddlers!".

So, mountain climbing toddlers dropped a bag of laptops off the side of a mountain in the Philippines, successfully retrieved them, and now wish to have them replaced.. Okay.

People are great.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Cowboy Curtis posted:

I'm hoping someone here can give me some advice about my specific situation and how to get back into IT work, here's the current scenario:

If you were able to handle MS server maintenance and SQL, you have the analytical and critical thinking skills to debug Win 8 and Win 10, even if you have to use google to help out (you never stop using google, it doesn't matter how many years of experience you have). It will take you about an hour to get used to (and be annoyed by the foibles of) Windows 10 just by using it at work, the differences aren't that extreme when you get in to the guts of it.

Pad your resume out with things you accomplished the last time you worked. Accomplishments, not just job duties. Be creative, overestimate your contribution ("automated <thing>, which saved 80 man hours per week in routine maintenance", stuff like that). You will get asked about the period of unemployment, find something to say besides "I was lazy." There's really no way to make that sound like a good thing. If you want to stick to the truth, "I took a break to <something>" can be okay. If you're going to lie make it vague and impossible to verify. Personal crisis, family crisis, etc. No good answers here. The good news is that some hiring managers and teams don't care so much about the gap if you are qualified and a decent person.

Best way to start is to apply to stuff right now. Fix up your resume today and apply for jobs as soon as it's done. You have a 2-year degree and a year of experience during which you took on additional duties; in my mind that already qualifies you for better than helldesk territory (by this I mean, answer phone, read script, repeat until you want to die). You can shoot for actual technical support positions where you are using your brain, don't even restrict yourself to entry level (though you may have to settle for that in the end, depending on how urgent your financial situation is). Keep applying to stuff until you get something, for you it's almost a pure numbers game.

Don't be a goon during an interviews, be personable. If you don't know something, be honest but confident, tell them how you would approach the problem, don't just say "I'd google it," be specific in what you would search for, does the problem sound similar to anything else you've dealt with before, etc. You know, the poo poo you already do when you troubleshoot something but you don't realize that's what you're doing because it's so automatic. When you get rejected from one place don't dwell on it, if you know you failed in a specific area then bone up a bit but otherwise move on.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Hey everyone. I ask this here because I'm sure some of you have gone through this and it's not much work to give me some pointers.

Do you guys know of some ultimate guide on raising a domain's functional level? 2008 R2 going to 2012 R2, part of a 2003 forest.

I mean like a guide on what to check for before doing it (compatibility issues), what to do to completely remove a DC before replacing it, stuff like that. I know how to click the mouse and raise the level.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

orange sky posted:

Hey everyone. I ask this here because I'm sure some of you have gone through this and it's not much work to give me some pointers.

Do you guys know of some ultimate guide on raising a domain's functional level? 2008 R2 going to 2012 R2, part of a 2003 forest.

I mean like a guide on what to check for before doing it (compatibility issues), what to do to completely remove a DC before replacing it, stuff like that. I know how to click the mouse and raise the level.
You're leaving the forest in a 2003 functional level? Can you even use the AD recycle bin?

orange sky
May 7, 2007

anthonypants posted:

You're leaving the forest in a 2003 functional level? Can you even use the AD recycle bin?

Forest is part of the international group, have no control over it. I was still hoping they'd update the forest beforehand, to 2012 r2 too, but worst case scenario it's 2003.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

orange sky posted:

Forest is part of the international group, have no control over it. I was still hoping they'd update the forest beforehand, to 2012 r2 too, but worst case scenario it's 2003.
:negative:

I did a lot of research for our leap from 2003 to 2008R2, and what I learned is that the hard part is decommissioning/demoting all your 2003 domain controllers. If repadmin shows your domain controllers are replicating and dcdiag doesn't show any major issues, mash go and don't look back. However, I don't know enough about the process to know how 2012R2 DCs will feel about living in a 2003 forest. It might be fine?

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

orange sky posted:

There shouldn't be any issues, if you press the button it will tell you "Hey DC2003 is running Server 2003! Demote it first!" If you need to forcefully remove a domain controller things get more complicated. I think there is a UI way but it failed when I tried it telling me I'd need to force it over command line. Basically if the DC failed or was removed without demoting it you will have a bit more work but nothing too crazy. Unless they made every server a DC and you have to manually remove 20+ Domain controllers. That just takes a long time. I'd google manually demote windows Domain Controller I believe when I had to do it I used this technet article. It's really idiot proof to promote the clean up you can obviously run the command against a similarly named server and break that server as a DC. Triple check all commands before running.

I'm actually not sure what would happen if you had a CNAME for an old server pointing to a new server if the old server hadn't been decommissioned properly. So check that too.

anthonypants posted:

:negative:

I did a lot of research for our leap from 2003 to 2008R2, and what I learned is that the hard part is decommissioning/demoting all your 2003 domain controllers. If repadmin shows your domain controllers are replicating and dcdiag doesn't show any major issues, mash go and don't look back. However, I don't know enough about the process to know how 2012R2 DCs will feel about living in a 2003 forest. It might be fine?

This is fine, I currently have a 2016 domain sitting in a 2003 forest. Waiting on server to get to the other site so I can get that up and running and everything running bleeding edge. I'll let you guys know what horrible issues 2016 has in production.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

pixaal posted:

There shouldn't be any issues, if you press the button it will tell you "Hey DC2003 is running Server 2003! Demote it first!" If you need to forcefully remove a domain controller things get more complicated. I think there is a UI way but it failed when I tried it telling me I'd need to force it over command line. Basically if the DC failed or was removed without demoting it you will have a bit more work but nothing too crazy. Unless they made every server a DC and you have to manually remove 20+ Domain controllers. That just takes a long time. I'd google manually demote windows Domain Controller I believe when I had to do it I used this technet article. It's really idiot proof to promote the clean up you can obviously run the command against a similarly named server and break that server as a DC. Triple check all commands before running.

I'm actually not sure what would happen if you had a CNAME for an old server pointing to a new server if the old server hadn't been decommissioned properly. So check that too.

This is fine, I currently have a 2016 domain sitting in a 2003 forest. Waiting on server to get to the other site so I can get that up and running and everything running bleeding edge. I'll let you guys know what horrible issues 2016 has in production.

Thank you very much for this.

My plan, very simply, is:

Replace every 2008 R2 DC in the domain with a 2012 R2
Check that everything is OK (DNS, AD replication, third party apps)
Raise functional level
Check everything again
Done

Of course while checking for FSMO roles before demoting the DCs, etc etc

Sounds good? We don't have DHCP in the DCs and NPS is also on different servers.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

orange sky posted:

Thank you very much for this.

My plan, very simply, is:

Replace every 2008 R2 DC in the domain with a 2012 R2
Check that everything is OK (DNS, AD replication, third party apps)
Raise functional level
Check everything again
Done

Of course while checking for FSMO roles before demoting the DCs, etc etc

Sounds good? We don't have DHCP in the DCs and NPS is also on different servers.
Yeah, that's how it goes. I'm pretty sure there's no rollback path, so if your parent company throws a big enough fit you'll be rebuilding your entire domain.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

anthonypants posted:

Yeah, that's how it goes. I'm pretty sure there's no rollback path, so if your parent company throws a big enough fit you'll be rebuilding your entire domain.

Nah, I got orders to go ahead and go to 2012 R2, they're the ones that are delaying it for some bullshit reason

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I have just discovered Rundeck, and am ridiculously excited about the potential.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

What's different from all other orchestration tools? On a phone, can't see much

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

orange sky posted:

What's different from all other orchestration tools? On a phone, can't see much

Rundeck posted:

Rundeck is meant to complement the tools you already use (including frameworks like Puppet, Chef, and Jenkins, Cloud, VM) and is geared towards helping you automate actions across them. If you currently manage your servers by running commands from the terminal or through scripts, Rundeck is a more user friendly alternative. Instead of managing node lists in a spreadsheet or wiki page and then having to transcribe the list to where you execute commands, Rundeck acts as a command and control portal that lets you execute commands using features like node filtering and parallel execution.

Rundeck also works well for managing virtual servers, be they from a cloud provider or from locally hosted virtualization software. The node abstraction enabled by the Rundeck command dispatcher helps you cope with managing dynamic environments.

Many automation tasks cross the tool boundaries. For example, deploying software or maintaining an application often involves using tools up and down the management tool chain. Rundeck has a simple to use interface to create multi-step workflows that might call a package manager, configuration management tool, system utilities, or your own scripts. Rundeck is really meant to help automate tasks across tools and in return enable a push button interface you can hand off to others.

Edit: Specifically, I don't have an environment large enough to really take advantage of some of the other automation and orchestration tools, but Rundeck will give me a good way to manage my growing collection of PowerShell scripts, and make it more likely that my coworkers will be willing to use them.

The Fool fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Dec 20, 2016

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy

AbrahamSlam posted:

Got another fun GeekSquad story;

So, we offer a warranty program called the Geeksquad Total Protection Plan. This covers the user against things such as viruses, hardware issues, and accidental damage.

So, mountain climbing toddlers dropped a bag of laptops off the side of a mountain in the Philippines, successfully retrieved them, and now wish to have them replaced.. Okay.

People are great.

Hah that owns. My cousin got free Compaq laptops every year using prime95 and a blowdryer

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Roargasm posted:

Hah that owns. My cousin got free Compaq laptops every year using prime95 and a blowdryer

We all have that one shitlord cousin.

AbrahamSlam
Jun 12, 2013

Mess with the bull, you get the WANG!

Roargasm posted:

Haha. Well, at least he's being somewhat smart about it. That's a lot more subtle than a hammer to the screen.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

The Fool posted:

I have just discovered Rundeck, and am ridiculously excited about the potential.

It's pretty cool. But be warned the documentation is unbelievably bad, even by open source standards. Get ready to go digging through mailing lists and even source code.

Our biggest use case is actually just as a fancy cron replacement heh. Our devs have become obsessed with it.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
So I got a friend of mine an interview for our NOC. He tells them ahead of time he wants 50k which is the upper limit. They interview and tech him out, he knows nothing on the entperise side not even how to reset a password in AD (we knew this so it wasn't a dealbreaker). They offered him the job and the 50k based on my recommendation and this jerk turns around and tries to negotiate 60k. How do you do that if you can't even reset a password??

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Sepist posted:

So I got a friend of mine an interview for our NOC. He tells them ahead of time he wants 50k which is the upper limit. They interview and tech him out, he knows nothing on the entperise side not even how to reset a password in AD (we knew this so it wasn't a dealbreaker). They offered him the job and the 50k based on my recommendation and this jerk turns around and tries to negotiate 60k. How do you do that if you can't even reset a password??

Kids' got balls, never hurts to try to negotiate, right?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Sepist posted:

Ignoring the persons skills they're kind of a dick. Is that someone you want to be working with?

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k
Meh I work on the project side I won't really work with him. We just needed someone to answer calls and slowly learn the ropes.

MF_James posted:

Kids' got balls, never hurts to try to negotiate, right?

Depends on how he handled it I guess. He still is going to be hired so I guess he handled it well.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend
RE: Domain Controller decommissioning

Make sure you don't have things lurking like licensing, certificate, and RADIUS services on your domain controllers. We had a couple of servers decommissioned that took out some remote desktop licensing servers that we no longer had licenses/keys for because of an acquisition. Missing certificate services and improperly removed DHCP servers have caused me grief too.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

mayodreams posted:

RE: Domain Controller decommissioning

Make sure you don't have things lurking like licensing, certificate, and RADIUS services on your domain controllers. We had a couple of servers decommissioned that took out some remote desktop licensing servers that we no longer had licenses/keys for because of an acquisition. Missing certificate services and improperly removed DHCP servers have caused me grief too.

Adding to this: What's bit me before has been things floating around that have hardcoded DNS pointed at a 2003 DC.

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

The delicious snack cake.
I guess if AI takes over, we just become gamers?

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Someone please photoshop an "Ask Me About LOOM" button onto his shirt, tia.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Can anybody make recommendations for good online virtual labs? I know about TechNet, and I'm looking at VIRL, but I'd love some suggestions. Really, I'm a newbie, so something with tutorials and labs would be a good idea.

I'm in a tech support program, we're covering the basics (A+/N+, and we're going to get into SQL and Windows Server), but I find myself wanting to know more and seeing how these things works in reality.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

http://labs.hol.vmware.com/HOL/catalogs/catalog/681

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k
I would have plugged my own networking labs but the VPS hosting company shut down and I was too lazy to backup the server :argh:

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Is WGU still a reputable and useful place to go? I'm finally at a point in my life where finishing my degree is a possibility and I'd like to get started on that, and I'd like to focus on career stuff while doing so.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

MF_James posted:

Is WGU still a reputable and useful place to go? I'm finally at a point in my life where finishing my degree is a possibility and I'd like to get started on that, and I'd like to focus on career stuff while doing so.

Yes.

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy

Alfajor posted:

I guess if AI takes over, we just become gamers?

when you ask for an rca and actually get one :)

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Methanar posted:

Adding to this: What's bit me before has been things floating around that have hardcoded DNS pointed at a 2003 DC.

Yeah, this can be a big issue, and if you aren't putting the new DC at the same IP then you could be loving over a bunch of stuff without knowing it. What I've done in the past is decommed the old DC, set up the new one, then set up a VM at the old IP, installed the DNS server role and replicated zones (or just make it a forwarder to your DCs), and turned on logging. Check after a day (or hell, an hour or two) and you'll be able to see a bunch of IPs making DNS requests, so you know what machines need their hardcoded servers changed. Clear DNS logs, leave the VM up for a week, check again, just in case there are things making very infrequent requests. (You can of course leave it up for a month after that just to make sure).

A bit more work, but allows you to decomm the old DC immediately instead of having to clean up all the DNS requesters first.

Also on the topic of raising levels I don't remember exactly but there's some Microsoft blog post about it that I think has been posted in these threads before where they basically say we've seen hundreds of domain level raises and none of them have caused any major problems, other than if you don't clean up old Windows Server DCs or member servers if you're raising forest level. So you should be fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
That's a good way to root out the hardcoded machines. If you don't care that anything is hardcoded you could always just assign the old IP as a tertiary to the new server directly.

Methanar fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Dec 21, 2016