Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
yeah i deserve that one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

thexerox123 posted:

They were thinking that every other game company sells their consoles at a loss.

And they also get money from other peoples games that people want to buy for those consoles

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Guy Goodbody posted:

So they made a system that's less powerful but still more expensive to produce because of a giant gimmicky controller.

Well it wasn't less powerful at the time

HaroldofTheRock
Jun 3, 2003

Pillbug
Everyone is operating under the assumption that Nintendo is going to bungle the launch like the clowns they are and pull another wii/amiibo/NES classic launch, right? Or has there been any evidence that they've learned their god drat lesson?

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.

HaroldofTheRock posted:

Or has there been any evidence that they've learned their god drat lesson?

nope

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

HaroldofTheRock posted:

Everyone is operating under the assumption that Nintendo is going to bungle the launch like the clowns they are and pull another wii/amiibo/NES classic launch, right? Or has there been any evidence that they've learned their god drat lesson?

yeah they're gonna bungle it... all the way to the bank :qfg::peanut::homebrew::horse:::homebrew::peanut::qfg:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Good news, all six Switches have sold out and we've made a profit of 35 dollars this year.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.

Cojawfee posted:

Good news, all six Switches have sold out and we've made a profit of 35 dollars this year.

still not sold at a loss

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Cojawfee posted:

Probably only slightly less successful than the Wii U then.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Al-Saqr posted:

I really hope Nintendo haven't just shot themselves in the dick all over again, time will tell.

Even if it's rear end compared to your phone, it's still more powerful than any prior handheld, not filled with so many whale-hunting time-BDSM titles that you need a sherpa to find playable stuff, and not 900 bucks.

It probably won't print money like the DS did, but it'll do pretty drat okay for itself.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

well why not posted:

At the absolute worse case scenario, Switch is a mario / zelda box that doens't take up too much room. Everything over that is a bonus.

Nintendo already tried this and it didn't work.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

You know what would give Nintendo access to the latest console hardware and a competent online system? If they finally did the needful and went third party. Discuss.

"Oh, but competition! And innovation!" you say. Yes, look what the Wii got us: Kinect and PlayStation Move. Woo.

Vote third party Nintendo 2016.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

eurogamer probably got these specs from a devkit and not the final hardware because even at this point its unlikely that the final hardware's gone into manufacturing yet. its more useful from the standpoint of comparing docked and undocked than comparing to other consoles.

now relax and play good nintendo games. there are many.

ColdPie posted:

"Oh, but competition! And innovation!" you say. Yes, look what the Wii got us: Kinect and PlayStation Move. Woo.
also excitetruck, mario galaxy, warioware smooth moves, endless ocean, that baller punch-out revival, xenoblade, kirbys epic yarn, another code R, the last story, rhythm heaven fever

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Dec 20, 2016

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

ColdPie posted:

You know what would give Nintendo access to the latest console hardware and a competent online system? If they finally did the needful and went third party. Discuss.

Vote third party Nintendo 2016.

Lmao if Nintendo went third party after the Wii they would have been making Mario Move instead of 3D World

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Smartphones wouldn't exist without the DS. We'd have strange flip phones and blackberries.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-mnfWczE20

Decus
Feb 24, 2013

dont be mean to me posted:

Even if it's rear end compared to your phone, it's still more powerful than any prior handheld, not filled with so many whale-hunting time-BDSM titles that you need a sherpa to find playable stuff, and not 900 bucks.

It probably won't print money like the DS did, but it'll do pretty drat okay for itself.

I don't even think it'll be rear end compared to anybody's phone in terms of real world performance. Phone specs are not even close to what they are actually able to maintain due to thermal throttling.

HyperPuma
Jun 24, 2007

b-b-b-b-b-b-b-but trump is president
theres an assumption that the switch will become the new default handheld, but with how successful the new 3ds has been this season is that really a sure thing? if the switch is too weak to play third party traditional console games, what incentive is there for handheld devs to make any jump in fidelity that makes the switch necessary? why not just keep making games targeted at the bigger 3ds market and then port them over to switch?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Because on the 3ds they have to redesign existing art assets to make them 240p or however tiny that screen is. On Switch they'll be able to use their existing art assets. Japanese devs will probably flock to it because it will easily outsell the PS4 if priced and marketed correctly in Japan.(the PS4 is not very popular in Japan, it only passed WiiU there a few months ago).

HyperPuma
Jun 24, 2007

devs will choose switch instead of 3ds because the switch will outsell the ps4? i dont quite follow the logic

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!

HyperPuma posted:

theres an assumption that the switch will become the new default handheld, but with how successful the new 3ds has been this season is that really a sure thing? if the switch is too weak to play third party traditional console games, what incentive is there for handheld devs to make any jump in fidelity that makes the switch necessary? why not just keep making games targeted at the bigger 3ds market and then port them over to switch?

Because Nintendo will phase out 3DS and the entire platform will go end of life after switch is launched into production.

There are a couple reasons for this:

1) Most 3DS titles are easy to port and upscale
2) Unified Store/Account without disparity between platforms
3) Forced developer support of Switch over 3DS once rolled out

For Nintendo, they are putting all their eggs in one basket. Unifying development platforms to gain back the 3rd party support they lost when they hosed most all 3rd party publishers in the N64 days with increased license fees and high cartridge memory costs. Their line of thinking is that they will gain more 3rd party support as titles will be played across the single home/portable switch platform.

I would't expect the 3DS to be around much longer. They have already significantly scaled back manufacturing... As you will notice if you check out most online retailers and store fronts that have zero stock of 3DS or 3DS XL. Prices for available units are already being scalped at higher than normal prices.

It's only a matter of time at this point.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
No, devs will choose Switch over DS because it will be much easier and cheaper to develop and put games on it, not requiring a separate team, remaking art assets, having to redo their engine for a weaker system, etc.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.
Here's a gif of Miyamoto presenting the Switch and Mario Run in Jimmy Fallon, since nobody has posted one yet.

HyperPuma
Jun 24, 2007

greatn posted:

No, devs will choose Switch over DS because it will be much easier and cheaper to develop and put games on it, not requiring a separate team, remaking art assets, having to redo their engine for a weaker system, etc.

but.. the switch is weaker than other consoles and will require separate teams.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Get a part time job between now and March and save up $600 and buy both a Switch and a PS4/XboxOne and stop thinking about it for at least 4 years.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Unlike the 3ds it can use the same basic art assets, engines, textures, etc. The majority of games developed these days are not these huge super processing intensive monsters. There are for example just a ton of relatively modest JRPgs out there that are currently on Vita/PS4 that are almost certainly going to jump over to Switch. Anyone developing an indie game it is going to be a lot easier to port over to Switch. Anyone making a mobile game it is going to be a lot easier to port over to Switch.

HyperPuma
Jun 24, 2007

i mean if the sales pitch is buy a nintendo switch to play mario then so be it, but a few months ago everyone was excited for third parties to be returning to a nintendo platform.

im just not seeing why handheld devs will bother upgrading their games for switch when the 3ds has a bigger install base. i also dont see how console devs will get more taxing games running without a bunch of extra work, which puts it in the same situation as the wiiu. its a console trying to bridge the gap but it might end up not being great for either use.

e; oh i see what youre saying about games that are on vita but not 3ds. yeah thats fine but its not what i imagined when the switch was first shown

HyperPuma fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Dec 20, 2016

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

quote:

i mean if the sales pitch is buy a nintendo switch to play mario then so be it, but a few months ago everyone was excited for third parties to be returning to a nintendo platform.

That's the sales pitch. Only dumb idiots or people who have never experienced a Nintendo console rollout actually thought this would be the time third parties really came back because "look kids it's that Elder Scrolls game from Obama's first term!"

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

HyperPuma posted:

Third party devs are already returning to Nintendo

Guy Goodbody posted:

Switch 3rd party support

Wii U 3rd party support

You see that anemic lineup for the Wii U? That's after third parties got burned by the Wii and somewhat by the Gamecube. That is third parties showing a severe lack of faith in the Wii U. So why would there be so many more companies signed up for the Switch after mild disaster of the Wii U? Because they think they will be able to make and sell games for the Switch.

Guy Goodbody fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Dec 20, 2016

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

HyperPuma posted:

im just not seeing why handheld devs will bother upgrading their games for switch when the 3ds has a bigger install base.

Yeah why would GBA devs ever move to the DS :confused:

Handheld devs will upgrade their games for the Switch because it'll replace the 3ds.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Quest For Glory II posted:

also excitetruck, mario galaxy, warioware smooth moves, endless ocean, that baller punch-out revival, xenoblade, kirbys epic yarn, another code R, the last story, rhythm heaven fever

Every one of these would work just as well, if not better, on a PS4.

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013
The sales pitch isn't just "play mario", it's "play the same games on a big screen and on the go" which is massively appealing to me, a broke rear end college student without a tv. Also the 3DS is going to be discontinued shortly after the switch launch, barring any major catastrophes. Handheld devs will have no choice for a while but to develop for the switch.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

HyperPuma posted:

im just not seeing why handheld devs will bother upgrading their games for switch when the 3ds has a bigger install base. i also dont see how console devs will get more taxing games running without a bunch of extra work, which puts it in the same situation as the wiiu. its a console trying to bridge the gap but it might end up not being great for either use.

e; oh i see what youre saying about games that are on vita but not 3ds. yeah thats fine but its not what i imagined when the switch was first shown

Also a fuckton of Steam games.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

greatn posted:

Also a fuckton of Steam games.

Steam sure got really bad quickly

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Also when you are on your wifi the Switch functions as a steamlink.

HyperPuma
Jun 24, 2007

so the nintendo switch is the new home of japanese dating sims and early access survival games?

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

HyperPuma posted:

so the nintendo switch is the new home of japanese dating sims and early access survival games?

Unity is fully supported!

HyperPuma
Jun 24, 2007

i gotta admit when i saw skyrim my next thought wasnt akibas trip and ARK, but i suppose thats my own fault

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
We all make mistakes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I am excited to play Akiba'strip HD Collection, both at home and on the go, on my Nintendo Switch

• Locked thread