Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Growing up in the days before cable, I always loved when they'd do a bookend thing during holiday special marathons on regular TV. Usually they'd do something classy like the fancy holiday decked out library with with a grandfather type in the smoking jacket announcing what show was coming on next. PBS was great with this doing Masterpiece Theatre marathons. So, here's my meager attempt to recreate that with what little I have.

*que Masterpiece Theatre: Imperial Edition music*

2V was going to do the Alistar Cooke part but he got stage fright and just stood there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrunkenGarbageCan
Nov 4, 2009

Charles Get-Out posted:

So is the consensus that Eternal Throne is another lackluster story?

You can see from the first chapter exactly where the story is going and you keep hoping it'll throw some left turns in but no it shoots straight as an arrow to the most obvious conclusion.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

(Star Wars)

Dalris Othaine
Oct 14, 2013

I think, therefore I am inevitable.

DrunkenGarbageCan posted:

You can see from the first chapter exactly where the story is going and you keep hoping it'll throw some left turns in but no it shoots straight as an arrow to the most obvious conclusion.

It does at least have a conclusion though.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Dalris Othaine posted:

It does at least have a conclusion though.

Fallen Empire and Eternal Throne, to me, feels like it was made for a very specific kind of main character, and different classes and ways to interpret the eight different potential PCs work for the Zakuul expansions to different degrees. I think the Jedi Knight and Sith Warrior fit the expansions like a glove, and the Jedi Consular and Sith Inquisitor aren't far behind.

But to me, the Zakuul arcs are much, much weaker if you're one of the other four classes or if you took the dialogue options for the glowstick brigade that actively avoided any interest in power or leadership. The Zakuul expansions declare that you are the Chosen One and the single most important person in the galaxy - believable for some classes, less so for others and the game barely pays lip service to anyone who doesn't want to stick to the railroad.

Eternal Throne is a bit better about not being the Valkorion, Senya, Arcann, Vaylin, and Lana show where the PC is for all intents and purposes an empty figurehead along for the ride, but it's still another big disappointment from Bioware for me. Not as bad as Fallen Empire, and the gameplay is still workable enough, but at this point I think it might be time to walk away from TOR for good.

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

I am just starting my HK-51 grind on my first character.

:shepicide:

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Fat_Cow posted:

I am just starting my HK-51 grind on my first character.

:shepicide:

Well the good news is once you get him once you can unlock him on any other character for $1 million credits. And he's unlockable at level 1, so if you didn't qualify for Nico, Shae or Master Ranos you can buy him and tear through poo poo.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I am a luddite and I don't know how discord works. If you're only using a single monitor, is there a way to set it up so that you can play SWTOR full screen and see the discord chat window at the same time? I've fiddled with the overlay but it doesn't seem to work with SWTOR, or if it does, I don't know how.

I know there's a phone app but I don't really like that solution. Just wondering if there's a better way than using windowed borderless and alt-tabbing.

Promethium
Dec 31, 2009
Dinosaur Gum
I thought the expansion fit the Imperial Agent pretty well, there are plenty of callbacks to SCORPIO's history and to Sith brainwashing techniques that you can remark on.

Much of the "chosen one" talk is ambiguous in whether it's truly a prophecy or if it's Valkorian needing you to believe it; it's easy enough to interpret either way. The PC does come up with two relatively clever ideas near the end which gives some agency in the story. (They don't require the player to do anything special though, which made me feel the setup would have worked better in an adventure game where you'd have to find the answer yourself.)

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Also, I finished KOTFE and have a question: What exactly does the weapon that you create in chapter 12do? I'm guessing it gives you access to those two extra abilities during the boss fight with Arcann in chapter 16. Anything else?

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
I can't speak to the other force-using classes but SI felt like a perfect fit for the two most recent expansions. The whole "eat force ghosts to gain power" thing takes a cool twist with Valkorion and there are plenty of chances to continue being a power-hungry dick. It's certainly not the best Bioware story but I enjoyed it more than any of the previous content. Too bad it's still an MMO and not a fleshed out cRPG.

Ainsley McTree posted:

Also, I finished KOTFE and have a question: What exactly does the weapon that you create in chapter 12do? I'm guessing it gives you access to those two extra abilities during the boss fight with Arcann in chapter 16. Anything else?

Depending on what you choose:

Both Satele/Marr – Absorbs and reflect 10% of the damage from Arcann’s attacks
Marr – Reflects 20% of the damage caused by Arcann’s Attacks
Satele – Absorbs 20% of the damage caused by Arcann’s attacks
Resilience – Regen health when in combat with Arcann
Transcendence – Increased movement speed when in combat with Arcann
Sacrifice – taking damage from Arcann increases your dmg up to 25%

Kaysette fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Dec 20, 2016

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
At the end of Agent Chapter 1, what method was it you needed to use in order to talk down Jadus without setting off the Eradicators? I've done it before, but that was years ago and Google searches about it only seem to bring up discussion about the result rather than how you get it.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Promethium posted:

I thought the expansion fit the Imperial Agent pretty well, there are plenty of callbacks to SCORPIO's history and to Sith brainwashing techniques that you can remark on.

Much of the "chosen one" talk is ambiguous in whether it's truly a prophecy or if it's Valkorian needing you to believe it; it's easy enough to interpret either way. The PC does come up with two relatively clever ideas near the end which gives some agency in the story. (They don't require the player to do anything special though, which made me feel the setup would have worked better in an adventure game where you'd have to find the answer yourself.)

My personal take is there was never really anything going on that you were a "chosen one" Valkorian saw fitting to replace him: especially in KOTET this becomes clear as he talks about how Valkorian the actual person was just someone he hollowed out to take the place of because he seemed the best candidate for the job. When Arcann betrayed him and you "killed" him in Chapter 1 of KOTFE you just happened to be the best candidate in the room for him to possess to eventually retake the throne as a new "Valkorian" that he would hollow out yet again. Now there's a few ways I do think Bioware kind of fell short on this, namely, the whole dynamic of whether you accept Valkorians powers or not during KOTFE. This was perceived to be a big deal in KOTFE at launch cause no one knew what was going to happen, but in the end it turned out to be kind of meaningless besides some dialogue changes. It always came down to basically a LS/DS choice, if you refused to take his powers nothing would happen, if you let him take over you'd get some cutscene of you doing crazy force moves but kill a bunch of no-name innocent civilians/weird everyone out. That could have been handled better.

edit: In the end I had no problem with doing KOTFE/KOTET as an agent, at least. SCORPIO is a big part of the storyline so there's some threads there that make it work more than other classes. One way KOTFE fell short though is it often was just you standing up against these super powerful force users, which never really was sold well (or in most of SWTOR for that matter) if you were a non-force user. KOTET kind of did a better job that most of these encounters you usually have a few other force users backing you up for any of these kind of encounters iirc.

Berke Negri fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Dec 20, 2016

Slack Motherfucker
Aug 16, 2005

Pillbug
Hi Prunum, hi Thats No Goon!

I didn't see any mention of this in the OP and I didn't read the whole thread because I don't know how to read, but if anyone is weird like me and wants to play this on a mac, http://portingteam.com/files/file/8278-star-wars-the-old-republic/ is a shockingly good WINE client. Only flaw is you have to take it out of fullscreen mode, otherwise it'll crash when you alt+tab, because Linux.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Medullah posted:

Well the good news is once you get him once you can unlock him on any other character for $1 million credits. And he's unlockable at level 1, so if you didn't qualify for Nico, Shae or Master Ranos you can buy him and tear through poo poo.

The bad news is that the gameplay reward for doing all that bullshit is no longer relevant. HK used to have an ability where after killing 5 trash mobs he could insta-kill any trash mob of Strong or lower quality. It loving ruled but they removed that when they made all companions mechanically identical.

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug
Just a reminder and some housekeeping:

Aleth posted:

SOMEBODY nominated me to come up with the contest idea so here you go:

:sassargh: STRONGHOLD CHRISTMAS PARTY :sassargh:

Get the Dromund Kaas apartment stronghold if you haven't already got it for a whopping 5k* credits and decorate the crap out of the initial entrance room in whatever manner you so desire to celebrate the time of the year which it currently is. Christmas or whatever.

The rules:
    1) Initial DK apartment entrance room is the only room we're using
    2) 100 decoration limit (which is the amount the room unlocks with)

Deadline: 7th January 2017

Judging will probably be Medullah and myself, unless anyone else wants to help pick winners.

Prizes: Nonentity's fabulous new Unstable Peacemaker's lightsabers plus other goodies from the vault.

*Apparently on sale at the moment for a measly 5 credits.

Current entries:

Dely Apple
Dalris Othaine
M_Sinistrari

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Kaysette posted:

I can't speak to the other force-using classes but SI felt like a perfect fit for the two most recent expansions. The whole "eat force ghosts to gain power" thing takes a cool twist with Valkorion and there are plenty of chances to continue being a power-hungry dick. It's certainly not the best Bioware story but I enjoyed it more than any of the previous content. Too bad it's still an MMO and not a fleshed out cRPG.

It depends how you played.

The SI can be either power hungry or want to tear everything down. The latter doesn't fit in so well with a lot of the KOTFE choices.

Turbl
Nov 8, 2007

poptart_fairy posted:

At the end of Agent Chapter 1, what method was it you needed to use in order to talk down Jadus without setting off the Eradicators? I've done it before, but that was years ago and Google searches about it only seem to bring up discussion about the result rather than how you get it.

Agent Ch.1 spoilers:

You basically just keep him talking until he says something about "take your time to consider your choice", pick "but if I die you get nothing", then "i know something you don't", then "my allies are listening", then "not if they flee", then "the dark council will learn", "why else fake your death", and then when he gets all red and mad "I'm certain". Not sure if all of those are required but some definitely are.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Exactly what I needed, thank you. :)

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Turbl posted:

Agent Ch.1 spoilers:

You basically just keep him talking until he says something about "take your time to consider your choice", pick "but if I die you get nothing", then "i know something you don't", then "my allies are listening", then "not if they flee", then "the dark council will learn", "why else fake your death", and then when he gets all red and mad "I'm certain". Not sure if all of those are required but some definitely are.

So what happens if you are able to talk Jadus down and not have the Eradicators go off? I thought it always boiled down to You join him and the Eradicators go off, or you fight him and the Eradicators don't get set off ?

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
One options is arguably the worst outcome. If you're a goober and attack him without giving up the codes, Jadus still escapes and millions of people die as the Eradicators go batshit and unleash their payloads without having any specific targets available. LS can allow him to leave, or try to push him into coming with you - at which point you fight and trap him (after disabling the Eradicators) as the ship explodes, but he still escapes. Talking him down and agreeing to his terms of surrender nets you the best overall result.

Turbl
Nov 8, 2007

M_Sinistrari posted:

So what happens if you are able to talk Jadus down and not have the Eradicators go off? I thought it always boiled down to You join him and the Eradicators go off, or you fight him and the Eradicators don't get set off ?

Those are the two main options but if you pick the right dialogue options there is a third outcome that results in him admitting you have him cornered and he says he will leave and pursue no vendettas but that he will one day rebuild and return. So he gets away but his ship remains intact and you save some of the slave people.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Turbl posted:

Those are the two main options but if you pick the right dialogue options there is a third outcome that results in him admitting you have him cornered and he says he will leave and pursue no vendettas but that he will one day rebuild and return. So he gets away but his ship remains intact and you save some of the slave people.

Goddammit! Now I'm going to have to do another Agent playthrough.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

It's cool that there's so many resolutions to the end of agent ch. 1 but i wish any of them had any significant impact on the rest of the story

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I've heard the Jedi Knight's Chapter 1 story is pretty much The Punisher unleashed against Disney villains, something I really need to run through at one point.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

poptart_fairy posted:

I've heard the Jedi Knight's Chapter 1 story is pretty much The Punisher unleashed against Disney villains, something I really need to run through at one point.

I remember absolutely loving nothing about the JK story vOv

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Select the items of interest in the scene.

Returned with Honor.
The thing about Darth Jadus is that no matter what happens, he survives and wins. The whole eradicators thing is basically a Xanathos Gambit (to utilize a TvTropism from threads of D&D/PYF past). If you engage him, he wins by launching them. If you refuse to engage him, he launches them anyway. If you take them down, he simply escapes. At no point does he ever not win.

Regardless, with Vitiate/Valkorion gone, this makes him the most powerful force user in the galaxy by leaps and bounds, confirmed via multiple in-game contexts, the developers, and so on. Developers have also confirmed that he's still alive. Makes him one of 5 living Dark Lords of the Council, of which two are Imperial aligned (since Lana and Darth Nox are canonically with the Eternal Alliance, having abandoned the Sith Empire): Empress Acina and Darth Vowrawn.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

You mean Darth Imperius, clearly.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Aphrodite posted:

You mean Darth Imperius, clearly.

:hfive:

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Promethium posted:

Eh? What ideas do you mean? I hope not the "you're in my mind, so I can make you Kneel before the Dragon" thing - I rolled my eyes pretty hard at that, because the underlying logic had zero precedent, and between him really being an independent entity and already being somewhat in control of your mind, it really doesn't seem like it should work.

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Returned with Honor.

Strudel Man posted:

Eh? What ideas do you mean? I hope not the "you're in my mind, so I can make you Kneel before the Dragon" thing - I rolled my eyes pretty hard at that, because the underlying logic had zero precedent, and between him really being an independent entity and already being somewhat in control of your mind, it really doesn't seem like it should work.

I think it's more that when Valkorion absorbed Vaylin's spirit to fuse with his own to obtain her power at his whim, he also absorbed her weakness -- and by that I mean her conditioning that he himself programmed into her -- to make it a sort of ironic thing. But they had just established breaking the Deus Ex Machina by deprogramming her in Nathema, so...

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Vriess posted:

I think it's more that when Valkorion absorbed Vaylin's spirit to fuse with his own to obtain her power at his whim, he also absorbed her weakness -- and by that I mean her conditioning that he himself programmed into her -- to make it a sort of ironic thing. But they had just established breaking the Deus Ex Machina by deprogramming her in Nathema, so...
Yeah, that's not the explanation the PC gives, and it wouldn't make much sense that way either, for the reason you stated.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

5 Year Collage project is up. If you submitted a picture try and find yourself!

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Found my guy (center pic), surrounded by a veritable... menagerie, let's call it:

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Cross-Section posted:

Found my guy (center pic), surrounded by a veritable... menagerie, let's call it:

You're a brave man, I looked for about 2 minutes and gave up.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

I got lucky, I only spent about 5 :blush:

Sio
Jan 20, 2007

better red than dead

Vriess posted:

The thing about Darth Jadus is that no matter what happens, he survives and wins. The whole eradicators thing is basically a Xanathos Gambit (to utilize a TvTropism from threads of D&D/PYF past). If you engage him, he wins by launching them. If you refuse to engage him, he launches them anyway. If you take them down, he simply escapes. At no point does he ever not win.

He always survives, but it's not exactly a great victory if he ends up imprisoned and I don't know how it's a victory at all if you just foil his plan.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

i wish i'd known that was a thing or i'd have submitted fat hennimore

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Returned with Honor.

Varam posted:

He always survives, but it's not exactly a great victory if he ends up imprisoned and I don't know how it's a victory at all if you just foil his plan.

He escapes almost instantly if you send him to jail.

fakeedit: might as well be Arkham fuckin' Asylum

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrunkenGarbageCan
Nov 4, 2009

I'm in the 140's in GC levels on my Sorc and these are the crates I've learned to hate.

A reputation trophy for a reputation I maxed years ago.

A green 228 piece who's garbage stat distribution makes it weaker than 208 optimized.

An ugly empty orange piece for an AC I don't play.

• Locked thread