Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Should be the California Raisins but with the raisins commercial guy as their mascot and play it super straight and serious

Alternatively The Los Angeles Truckers of City of Commerce

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

a neat cape posted:

(Southern) California Chargers

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

We had the California Angels, we have the Golden State Warriors, we can have the California Chargers

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Historically if USC and UCLA are doing well did they impact NFL team attendance? Is moving the chargers to LA actually like moving them to a city with 3 teams already + Raiders?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Vertical Lime posted:

might as well get a jump and be the inglewood chargers

Inglewood is no good :laugh:

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Chichevache posted:

Inglewood is no good :laugh:

Neither are the Chargers, what's your point :smug:

OldHansMoleman
Jan 4, 2004
I Hate Myself
As this all is wrapping up I wanted to say, as a San Diegan, I'm so proud of our voters for not giving in. Not so proud of the county and the mayor but hell yeah for all of us.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

OldHansMoleman posted:

As this all is wrapping up I wanted to say, as a San Diegan, I'm so proud of our voters for not giving in. Not so proud of the county and the mayor but hell yeah for all of us.

Same. I still want to keep my team though

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
If they move to LA, I expect SD will become the next bogeymen city the NFL threatens to go to when the next city doesn't cave in to building a stadium

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream

Glass of Milk posted:

If they move to LA, I expect SD will become the next bogeymen city the NFL threatens to go to when the next city doesn't cave in to building a stadium

except SD will become the poster child for "see what happens when you don't pony up to keep your team? they leave and don't come back! Don't be like SD!"

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

St. Louis already has that on lockdown.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
St. Louis is a cautionary tale, as they built a new stadium to attract the Rams, and that only bought them 25 years. It seems the NFL expects a new stadium or major renovation every 25-30 years, otherwise the team may be moved. Buffalo, Jacksonville, Carolina and Washington look to be the next targets, and already Jacksonville is getting home games taken away from them, while Dan Snyder is agitating for a new stadium in Washington.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

guys, I'm starting to think this NFL thing might be a bit of a racket!

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Konstantin posted:

St. Louis is a cautionary tale, as they built a new stadium to attract the Rams, and that only bought them 25 years. It seems the NFL expects a new stadium or major renovation every 25-30 years, otherwise the team may be moved.

This part didn't help the Rams either, there was a new stadium on the table (which wasn't publicly voted on and would have been a disaster) but Kroenke didn't give a poo poo.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Cleveland is a cautionary tale.

Are you sure you want your NFL franchise back????

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.

Glass of Milk posted:

Except SD will probably never cave in unless a team accepts the land Qualcomm is on. If the Chargers leave, the SDCC and the port will expand into the land that Spanos wanted to build on and then there will be zero space for a new stadium in the downtown area. The city and its people win in either scenario and I'll never understand how Spanos thought otherwise.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I don't get how the Chargers and Rams in the same stadium could possibly not be sponsored by Dodge.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Leperflesh posted:

I don't get how the Chargers and Rams in the same stadium could possibly not be sponsored by Dodge.

gently caress foreign car companies. A local brand like Tesla or Toyota should get naming rights.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

I hate to break this to you, but Toyota is leaving Torrance. Everyone and everything is leaving :sadwave:

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

chupacabraTERROR posted:

I hate to break this to you, but Toyota is leaving Torrance. Everyone and everything is leaving :sadwave:

Welp, give the naming rights to a pot farm or meth cook.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Konstantin posted:

St. Louis is a cautionary tale, as they built a new stadium to attract the Rams, and that only bought them 25 years. It seems the NFL expects a new stadium or major renovation every 25-30 years, otherwise the team may be moved. Buffalo, Jacksonville, Carolina and Washington look to be the next targets, and already Jacksonville is getting home games taken away from them, while Dan Snyder is agitating for a new stadium in Washington.

like dc would be without it's most popular team by far

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Chichevache posted:

Welp, give the naming rights to a pot farm or meth cook.

Vuberdome

mike-
Jul 9, 2004

Phillipians 1:21
Rebrand them as the Los Angeles browns. Cleveland can keep the name too

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
Having Dodge Stadium and Dodger Stadium in the same metro area would get pretty confusing.

Kevyn fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Dec 20, 2016

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

chupacabraTERROR posted:

thats because torrance is a shithole :confused:

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

Chinatown posted:

Torrance is probably the least lovely place on the LA shithole spectrum tbqh, even if it is still a bit of a shithole

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Vertical Lime posted:

like dc would be without it's most popular team by far

There's no way on earth the Washington Rascists are leaving DC while Trump is in the Oval Office.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Civil War reenactors marching on foot across the country to invade San Diego to take back their football team would be at least an amusing endcap to the end of the United States.

OldHansMoleman
Jan 4, 2004
I Hate Myself

Zurreco posted:

Except SD will probably never cave in unless a team accepts the land Qualcomm is on. If the Chargers leave, the SDCC and the port will expand into the land that Spanos wanted to build on and then there will be zero space for a new stadium in the downtown area. The city and its people win in either scenario and I'll never understand how Spanos thought otherwise.

I don't know about the difficulties of developing that site in particular but I do know that San Diego is building a lot of housing in that Mission Valley corridor. The Qualcomm site may not be available for long.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
Nah, Washington has enough jurisdictions to manipulate in the area, they'd never leave. They want back into the city because $$$ and also because FedEx is a nightmare suburban stadium. They'll just play DC off of Maryland and Virginia--their practice facility is already in Ashburn already.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

They should build the stadium on Catalina Island instead.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

shirts and skins posted:

Nah, Washington has enough jurisdictions to manipulate in the area, they'd never leave. They want back into the city because $$$ and also because FedEx is a nightmare suburban stadium. They'll just play DC off of Maryland and Virginia--their practice facility is already in Ashburn already.

I keep thinking they're waiting for RFK to be vacated (which looks like is about to happen) and build something new there

If anything they need something closer to the metro (no matter how crappy it's becoming)

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.

FCKGW posted:

Who needs a 900m stadium when you can build a 3b one instead?

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

FCKGW posted:

If they do that, the Buccaneers should be required to sail there on their ship via Panama when they visit.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Vertical Lime posted:

I keep thinking they're waiting for RFK to be vacated (which looks like is about to happen) and build something new there

If anything they need something closer to the metro (no matter how crappy it's becoming)

Agreed. The city has made noise about making them change the name if they move in though.

Snyder tried for years to make FedEx as inaccessible as possible, even barring people from walking in from Metro/off-site parking until he lost a suit over it. But, it turns out, when you make it a pain in the rear end to get to your stadium, people don't want to go! Crazy stuff.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I know it's just a joke but Catalina is 90% protected wildlife preserve which is why there's barely enough room for Avalon not to mention the protected marine life so sail on, Bucs.

edit: that's why there's no room for the Catalina Wine Mixer which is tragic but necessary.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Ok so then what about building it on THE ROCK !?!?!?!?!

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

FCKGW posted:

Ok so then what about building it on THE ROCK !?!?!?!?!

Should be raiders new stadium. The ultimate homefield advantage

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Raiders fans arriving to the stadium

yeah con air whatever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Chinatown posted:

Hey i was raised in that shithole.