Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

fishmech posted:

thats one of the official color combinations from the kickstarter, they had a billion terrible color schemes.

i'm interested to hear you deconstruct how "white + a color" or "black + a color" is a "terrible color scheme", fishmech

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Sagebrush posted:

i'm interested to hear you deconstruct how "white + a color" or "black + a color" is a "terrible color scheme", fishmech

they look like garbage in the way they're use don the object, crazy cult guy. especially, for a lot of them, when contrasting with the shiny metal of the trackball thing

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

BattleMaster posted:

they do so little that even as a hobbyist product I can't imagine anyone playing with them for more than a couple of minutes before it goes into a drawer to never be seen again

hmm, i have been curious about the temperature of my wire drawer, now how much volume do i need to block out for a nrf51822 and a sht30

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpatdRd2LGk

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

lol. but nah. his response above has no meat to it anyway

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
that delicious post-meat

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Shifty Pony posted:

I am rather amused that they split the humidity and temperature into two devices. you can't get relative humidity without a temperature measurement.

I'm having a hard time understanding why they couldn't have put all four sensor types in one generic unit instead of having to be cute with 4 different models with cute names that individually do very little

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

BattleMaster posted:

I'm having a hard time understanding why they couldn't have put all four sensor types in one generic unit instead of having to be cute with 4 different models with cute names that individually do very little

and that is why you aren't a product director at a kickstarter wank factory

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

steve harvey: "alright, i want you to name 'places you've never cared to monitor the temperature of.' go!"

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

anyway i built one of those that does temperature and humidity to monitor my 3d printer filament for about $10 in parts and half an hour. with a 5 cent photoresistor it could do light too. for $15 it could monitor motion. mass produced, the whole thing could be like four bucks including the housing.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Sagebrush posted:

steve harvey: "alright, i want you to name 'places you've never cared to monitor the temperature of.' go!"

I don't own a humidor but most of those seem sensible

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I can't tell you how important it is to have up to the minute reports of the temperature of your refrigerator

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Sagebrush posted:

"who wants to know how cold it is outside pfffffft"

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Sagebrush posted:

I can't tell you how important it is to have up to the minute reports of the temperature of your refrigerator

paranoid super cynical worst-cyberpunk-future-reality devils advocate:

remember there are now smart fridges that offer software control and no airgap between the internet and the temperature controller system, including provisions on some models to do a full on compressor reversal for a defrost cycle.

What if you needed a realtime IoT thermometer to make sure alt-right people didnt get offended by a tweet and retaliated by turning your fridge up above food-safe temperatures for 3 hours in the middle of the night, for weeks or months at a time

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Sagebrush posted:

gd :golfclap:

Sagebrush posted:

i listened to vint cerf give a talk on creating ipv4 (the address limit is his fault) and about the one time his wine cellar auto alert wouldnt stop texting him that it was too warm

lesson is: dont argue your colleagues down on bit size and have a way to mute your loving expensive wine cellar alert system

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

there are approximately 110 billion tools and services in existence already that will tell you what the temperature is like outside and which also do not cost 45 dollars

Jonny 290 posted:

remember there are now smart fridges that offer software control and no airgap between the internet and the temperature controller system, including provisions on some models to do a full on compressor reversal for a defrost cycle.

What if you needed a realtime IoT thermometer to make sure alt-right people didnt get offended by a tweet and retaliated by turning your fridge up above food-safe temperatures for 3 hours in the middle of the night, for weeks or months at a time

suppose that's true. futuristic problems beget futuristic solutions

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Sagebrush posted:

suppose that's true. futuristic problems beget futuristic solutions

drone assaults by dawn when my kickstarter temp monitor catches a fluctuation and traces back the ip to @reaganautics2016 got it 👌

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Sagebrush posted:

there are approximately 110 billion tools and services in existence already that will tell you what the temperature is like outside

yeah thats kind of the point what kind of moron would say something like no one wants to know the outside temp

Sagebrush posted:

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

in this scenario the twitterer is born in 2016 because this is the awful world we live in

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

exploded mummy posted:

yeah thats kind of the point what kind of moron would say something like no one wants to know the outside temp

oh see i was doing that thing where you come up with a joke that kinda works partway and go "good enough" and post it and then i guess you were doing the thing where the sperg doesn't get it and tries to deconstruct it to score points or w/e

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Agile Vector posted:

gd :golfclap:

i listened to vint cerf give a talk on creating ipv4 (the address limit is his fault) and about the one time his wine cellar auto alert wouldnt stop texting him that it was too warm

lesson is: dont argue your colleagues down on bit size and have a way to mute your loving expensive wine cellar alert system
imagine A-class address blocks with ipv6 ranges

now imaging throwing like half of those away on the us government and ibm/at&t

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

Sagebrush posted:

I have a refrigerator that i use for beer and such and would be interested in monitoring the temperature becasue in the winter, it gets so cold that bottles of water freeze, but only the ones on the outside of the pack, and its turned all the way to 9 but i don't know and have never understood if a refrigerators dial means a higher number is colder- more numbers, more colder- or if it should be a lower number- lower number, lowqer temperature- but by the time I really start to wonder about it, its already spring time and i can just put the dial in the middle

if only there was a better way

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Jonny 290 posted:

remind me, how much does a typical fridge door attenuate 2.4GHz?

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Fart.Bleed.Repeat. posted:

I have a refrigerator that i use for beer and such and would be interested in monitoring the temperature becasue in the winter, it gets so cold that bottles of water freeze, but only the ones on the outside of the pack, and its turned all the way to 9 but i don't know and have never understood if a refrigerators dial means a higher number is colder- more numbers, more colder- or if it should be a lower number- lower number, lowqer temperature- but by the time I really start to wonder about it, its already spring time and i can just put the dial in the middle

if only there was a better way

more numbers, more cooling

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
do gofundmes count for this thread https://www.gofundme.com/flycolton

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

you could easily sell a zillion dollars worth of those to a fast food company to automatically monitor their walk in cooler temperatures.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

you're right. that's such an obviously perfect pairing that it's frankly astonishing that there are no, absolutely zero, existing wireless thermometer systems on the market

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

yippee cahier posted:

you could easily sell a zillion dollars worth of those to a fast food company to automatically monitor their walk in cooler temperatures.

snmp-enabled coolers/sensors have existed forever

you could in theory sell these things to fast food companies but they assuredly already have them and have had them for decades

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

JawnV6 posted:

remind me, how much does a typical fridge door attenuate 2.4GHz?

i actually have a few of these from when my fridge/freezer was dying and i wanted to see how much the temperature fluctuated while i was waiting for the landlord to replace it. they talk to a hub thing attached to my router.

e: the wireless is at 433 MHz. 13 dollars. works perfectly.

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

http://poop.computer/

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

minivanmegafun posted:

snmp-enabled coolers/sensors have existed forever

you could in theory sell these things to fast food companies but they assuredly already have them and have had them for decades
and if you're a "fast food company" spending "a zillion dollars" on refrigeration then you're buying fridges/freezers with thermometers built in anyway

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
i have literally worked on a sensor installation inside a mcdonalds

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

if you have money riding on your sensors you probably want something better than a hobby-grade battery-powered unit that connects only to the first unsecured wi-fi access point it finds

edit: everyone's talking about the temperature one which is the actual one with real use-cases, wtf is the use-case for a humidity-only sensor or an accelerometer that reports back to a website?

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Dec 20, 2016

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

Sagebrush posted:

you're right. that's such an obviously perfect pairing that it's frankly astonishing that there are no, absolutely zero, existing wireless thermometer systems on the market

haha, exactly. anywhere that has essential refrigeration systems already loving solved this problem, and did a far better job of it than this mob considering they could've had the gear in service for literal decades.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
"the Internet of Everything Smart Gadget" sounds like darts thrown at a wall kind of description

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

lol that they called a 1 inch 3D printed cube a "prototype"

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

lol, better, cheaper, smaller, more features, self-contained power, and extant: http://wirelesstag.net

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

BattleMaster posted:

everyone's talking about the temperature one which is the actual one with real use-cases, wtf is the use-case for a humidity-only sensor or an accelerometer that reports back to a website?

humidity would be useful for a basement i guess, but why not just use a dehumidifier with that in already? theres also plugs that shutdown after reaching a certain humidity. accelerometers are good task and security monitors but theres a bunch of those that do the job better

theflyingexecutive posted:

lol, better, cheaper, smaller, more features, self-contained power, and extant: http://wirelesstag.net

im the visio on the homepage

kinda want one for garage door monitoring

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
good news another fan film